Menu

He's gone.

Many of you have walked alongside me on this journey, so I wanted to let you know, collectively, that my father died around midnight last night. He was 84.

Despite the fact that I knew this day couldn't wait much longer, I was not fully prepared for the news of his passing. Somehow, I thought there would be more fanfare, urgent notice, some event to call us family all together so that we could hold each other and him in his last hours. But, it didn't happen that way. He went quietly. He was alone, in his room, in the nursing home. And no one knows exactly what time he finally, actually let go. A nurse spoke with him at 11:40. He was gone by 12:20.

I'm not here to be morose, or to say that I am struggling in bleak despair. Losing my father hurts more than any loss I have experienced to date. Yet, I have no doubt that this was what needed to happen. He was not well for much of the past three years. More importantly, he was not happy. So, now, I can see him released, on a new journey, whole, spirited, and finally free of the burdens he carried here. And, I am delighted for him!!

I am here to express my sincere gratitude for the support many of you have offered during the dark hours of his illness and decline. Some of you understood the situation intimately while others understood the idea of it. Regardless, I have appreciated the compassion and wisdom you've shared.

Tonight, if you have an opportunity, remind a special someone that she has touched your life, or that you love him deeply. Because, even when you know you may not have much longer to do that, the day has a way of being here before you're ready.

Peace and thanks,

Edited by Doran

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:I'm very sorry about your loss, Doran. I thank you for sharing your struggles in your journey with the board as I am still on that same journey with my 83-year old mother. Your posts were a source of support for me.

I will pray for your father, you, and your family.

Louise

Oh, Doran, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss--I was not "ready" either when my FIL passed away. I'm sure it is exponentially more painful when it is your very own parent!!

Even though the pain is tempered by knowing that he is no longer carrying those burdens, it is still such a great loss.

I will pray that you will find comfort. In the days after my FIL's death, there were times I could hardly breathe, and remembering it now brings tears 2.5 years later, but now I can also remember him with laughter and joy.

Sending comforting thoughts your way!!

Valerie

Losing my father hurts more than any loss I have experienced to date. Yet, I have no doubt that this was what needed to happen. He was not well for much of the past three years. More importantly, he was not happy. So, now, I can see him released, on a new journey, whole, spirited, and finally free of the burdens he carried here. And, I am delighted for him!!

:grouphug: I could have written this exact post 15 years ago. Feeling your pain and anguish, Doran. Much love and prayers to you.