Menu

What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

mommyoffive

First things that come to mind—#1–unschool my children—just give them the materials they needed to learn and be confident that they wouldn’t just play video games or read comic books all day. #2–build a out of our price range wheelchair accessible home for our son being confident we wouldn’t default on payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Lose 60 lbs.  Maybe a little more.

Go back to college and study history.

Hire a personal skiing instructor and get really good at it.

Start a nonprofit that worked on empowerment, human care, education, and general uplift from a Christian, loving POV, to all Americans but especially African-Americans.

Start a public library in a particular remote community that I love.  And a little but self-sustaining church.

Build a big rambling house on a lake or river and practice hospitality there.

• Like 4

What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Interesting question...

I doing have an specific answer bc my mind changes like the weather but I have an observation.

One of my sons is a goalie. And he always played the best when nothing was on the line. He was loose, he gave up the body (which in goalie talk generally means playing fearlessly, concentrating on the puck and not the opposing player), he took risks. When there was nothing in the line, he was unbeatable.I

I used to tell him, try to remember that feeling and do it all the time bc his playing difference was night and day.

It is also similar in baseball...with someone who is called a "5 o'clock hitter." Just phenomenal in batting practice but come game time, can't connect with the ball to save his life.

• Like 2

If I really couldn't fail? Lottery ticket.

But for real, what I'd love to have is a day/boarding school for kids who are just plain round pegs in today's square-peg world, including time for them to explore vocational options (welding, plumbing, culinary arts, hairdresser, agriscience), artistic options (music, arts, not just the standard options but like improv rock band), academic options, and also including flexible pacing. 

I guess the lottery ticket fits in that if I won the lottery, I could afford the land and staffing necessary to make it really work. 

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of many things I used to think "maybe I could do" but stopped dreaming about long ago.

Makes me wonder if I'm the only person who's basically "all dreamed out."

So let me think ....

I'd do an ironman.  :P  Or climb Everest.

• Like 2

Make a time machine and travel in it. I want to see the future. 

There are some things in the past that I'd love to see as well. Can you imagine just getting to slip in and see things like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Or see Stonehenge near when it was constructed?

• Like 2

Fun thread! Start a farm and employ my children to help, while also educating them flawlessly, with no whining from anyone. They learn amazing math. Social, and business skills. Then write the a book about said farm, and publish it. Continue to farm, and then write other books (fiction ideas I have in my head). At least two of three kids live near farm and help with its operation, while using the proceeds to support their families nicely. Me, who is now grandma, watches grandkids while adults do the work. I still do some work and direction, especially gathering the eggs and picking veggies. And, no snakes live anywhere near the property. People can go barefoot and sit on stumps in peace.

Touch a snake.

Not happening, not happening. This would be the human equivalent of forging an everlasting world peace with Loki. So oh well....

The Royal Gorge Bridge. Without general anesthesia, I really don't see that happening. Hey, I drive the Mackinac Bridge with no anxiety so I think that I should be grateful and not tempt fate. When I was a kid, I got down on the floor of the car and hid when my parents took us across.

Master the Rachmaninoff third concerto. I have tried. I do not think it will be happening. I do not seem to have the endurance.

Conduct the DSO on a John Williams piece.

Sing with Manhatten Transfer.

I'd go with win the lottery so that I could:

-build a bigger house.  Not huge, just big enough for each of us to have our own space, enough closets and other storage, a second bathroom.

-go full in on starting my business.  I've started part of it since I found a situation where I only have to pay rent when I'm actually doing class time.  But, I'd love to implement ALL my plans for classes, drop-in workshops, a curriculum consignment/used bookstore, lots of other things that I can only do with my own space.

-help dd get established.  We help as much as we can but it's still rough.

-fund college for the younger guys and retirement for dh.

This thread reminds me of many things I used to think "maybe I could do" but stopped dreaming about long ago.

Makes me wonder if I'm the only person who's basically "all dreamed out."

So let me think ....

I'd do an ironman.  :p  Or climb Everest.

Such a good thought.  I think if thought of this 13 years ago my thoughts would have been more about that stuff.  Doing a marathon, climbing a mountain or something like that.

Now they are so different.