Menu

Make-up, Yes or No?

Night Elf

I really haven't worn make-up since 2001. I've never liked it. I may have a job interview next week (please oh please let it happen) and my mom told me I needed to wear make-up or I'll look old and unreliable. What do you think about that? I would have to go out and buy it because I have nothing. And I figure if I wear make-up to the interview, then I need to wear it to work every time. I don't feel like I have a bad complexion. She said I for sure needed mascara, eyeliner and lipstick. She also suggested a powder foundation. I'm kind of offended that I can't go and present myself as I am. I know I should make a good first impression. I have a nice skirt, flats and blouse. It's a nice, conservative outfit. 

What do you recommend I do?

I think it might be worthwhile to wear a little.  It can make you look put together.

I might try something fairly simple - a light tinted moisturizer, maybe - it's something you might want to wear regularly just to moisturize and for sun protection, but it evens things out a bit.  And perhaps eyeliner and/or a lip gloss of some kind.  Very simple and probably not too different from your everyday self.

If you have to buy make-up, it might be worthwhile to go get yourself done at a make-up counter - it could give you some tips and ideas if you haven't done it in a while.  You don't have to buy every product they use or recommend.  Just make sure you tell them you need it to look very natural for the interview, not at all overdone, or they may go whole hog and you'll look like you are off to a prom.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 5

Maybe our standards are low here, but I think as long as you have all of your teeth you'll be fine.

Basic, bare minimum makeup I would consider to be mascara and lip color - tinted gloss or light color fine. Don't go crazy with trying to buy foundation if you're never going to wear it again. If you're not good with eyeliner, it's easy to mess up. Really, you'll probably be fine. I had a cashier earlier today with one tooth, so even if you're missing some teeth, there's hope :D

• Like 7

I wear make up every day, but if I didn't ever, and didn't even own any, then, no, I would not wear it to an interview. I'm sorry, but I think that is stupid. You should present yourself as you expect to be, IMO.

• Like 16

If you haven't worn make up since 2001, you may not be that great at putting it on. You also probably won't feel comfortable wearing it.

I don't wear makeup often or wear a lot at once. I'd probably wear a neutral lip color to an interview for a cashier position.

You need to feel comfortable. If wearing makeup will make you feel awkward be or uncomfortable then don't wear it.

• Like 3

I think it's more important that a person looks clean and practices self care - clean face, hair clothing. A little makeup (light lip color at least) would be a nice touch but I don't think you'd have to then wear it every day. The best thing to put on your face is a genuine smile, and you already own that.

• Like 3

I would consider starting with a cheerful, bright but not over the top lipstick, maybe a coral or rose judging from your picture. 

As I got older my lips lost some of their color, and now I'm at the point where I wear lipstick most of the time.

Avoid cheap stuff that will feather.  I wear Lancôme when I want to look really good but still not have my lips dry out.

That might be plenty to brighten you up just a tad, which I think would be good--it says 'I BOTHER'. 

The next thing up from that is mascara.  I can't tell whether you need it or not.  I used to wear it routinely but have gotten away from it as my face as faded a bit so I don't feel that I need it as much as I used to.

The next thing up from that is tinted moisturizer.  This is more natural looking than foundation makeup, and it usually feels better as well (not so much like a 'layer' on your face.)  This evens out your skin tones.  If you use just a little, your natural radiance shows through it.  If you use a lot, you'll need blush as well.  Try it both ways a couple of days before the interview.  You don't want to irritate your skin right before the meeting.

• Like 1

Really, people? Even "cheap" makeup is expensive if you're only going to use it once. $12 for foundation. $8 for eyeliner. $10 for mascara. $12 for lipstick. $10 for blush. I would call that the basics of having a made-up face. I would not spend $50 to make up my face for an interview if that wasn't my normal look. Plus, you might not be that good at applying it well, and it takes some effort to get make up that is correct for your skin tone and suits the look you want to project.

It reminds me of how my SIL, before she was engaged to my BIL, used to make these elaborate dinners, complete with a homemade dessert, a practice she promptly abandoned once they were married because she hates to cook. Bait and switch.

I think people should look their best for interviews, but within the parameters of what looking their best normally is for themselves. Really a confident smile does wonders for any person's face and how can one do that if they feel like they are in a masquerade?

• Like 11

I'm surprised how many people suggest lipstick. I don't wear makeup much at all, but I do usually put on a little eyeliner pencil, maybe mascara if i'm dressing up. Once I saw my last driver's license photo I thought I should probably wear a little eye makeup, and that's when I started back up with the eyeliner. I've almost never worn foundation and I wouldn't now. I might do a little blush if I was pale, but I'm not pale in September. I would wear a little lip color or gloss maybe if I was going out somewhere, but I probably wouldn't for an interview. It's so annoying, wears off, gets on teeth, etc.

I hope to have an interview to become a substitute teacher soon and I would plan to wear a nice teacher-ish outfit, nice shoes, do my hair, and wear eyeliner, mascara, and lip balm. Maybe put earrings in. That's it.

• Like 1

I don't wear makeup and it never occurred to me that it might make a difference in a job interview. At least not for the jobs I have had. g

I'd probably be self conscious about wearing makeup when I normally don't, and that might impact my interview more than any perceived advantage of wearing it.   

• Like 4

Really, people? Even "cheap" makeup is expensive if you're only going to use it once. $12 for foundation. $8 for eyeliner. $10 for mascara. $12 for lipstick. $10 for blush. I would call that the basics of having a made-up face. I would not spend $50 to make up my face for an interview if that wasn't my normal look. Plus, you might not be that good at applying it well, and it takes some effort to get make up that is correct for your skin tone and suits the look you want to project.

It reminds me of how my SIL, before she was engaged to my BIL, used to make these elaborate dinners, complete with a homemade dessert, a practice she promptly abandoned once they were married because she hates to cook. Bait and switch.

I think people should look their best for interviews, but within the parameters of what looking their best normally is for themselves. Really a confident smile does wonders for any person's face and how can one do that if they feel like they are in a masquerade?

I hardly ever wear makeup except for lipstick, but I like to keep it around for the occasional wedding or gala event.  So I would say, go to a good department store, get them to give you a free sample of foundation, buy a really good lipstick, and invest in a tinted moisturizer that you might be more likely to use now and then than actual makeup, and *have it around*.

• Like 1

I hardly ever wear makeup except for lipstick, but I like to keep it around for the occasional wedding or gala event. So I would say, go to a good department store, get them to give you a free sample of foundation, buy a really good lipstick, and invest in a tinted moisturizer that you might be more likely to use now and then than actual makeup, and *have it around*.

Yeah, but she said she had none around and doesn't like to wear it. She's only second-guessing herself because her mother said something (IMO not nice) to her.

Also, health people always say you shouldn't use makeup that's sat around for a long time. It's perishable.

• Like 1

Well, I agree it can make you look more energetic or friendly or whatever.

Personally I still would not (and do not) wear it.  I meet professional clients in a suit and no make-up.  I've done all my interviews without make-up (though I can't say I always got an offer).

Whether you decide to wear it or not for the interview, don't feel like you have to wear it every day after that.

• Like 2

You need to feel comfortable. If wearing makeup will make you feel awkward be or uncomfortable then don't wear it.

This would be my issue.  I would be worried that I smeared the lipstick or whatever.  Because I've only worn lipstick like once in my life.  :P

I guess I am the odd one out. I won't leave the house without make up. I don't have any on at the moment-but I am not going anywhere today. On a typical day, I wear foundation, blush, eyebrow pencil/wax, mascara, and some eye shadow. Lipstick too but it does not say on long for some reason.. I buy only drugstore make up.

So I think it would be a good idea to wear some. Youtube has videos about how to apply it.

• Like 1

I agree with those saying it's not necessary.   I used to walk all the interviewees for my department to my boss's office.  These were people coming for jobs working with corporate clients, in a corporate office, usually management positions or above.   It was probably 50/50 if the women wore makeup.   It didn't seem to have any effect on whether they were hired since I know some of the ones who didn't started working there.

I didn't wear any make-up when I interviewed at Target or ShopRite (a local grocery store chain).  I think I wore some very light makeup to my interview at the corporate job but it was a confidence thing for me.  It had been 8 years since I interviewed for that type of job.  It was very sporadic that I wore it after that, even while I was a temp.  It didn't stop them from offering me a permanent position.

I also agree with whoever said that even "cheap" makeup is very expensive these days.   It's pretty crazy, even the brands that used to be a couple dollars for weird colors raised their prices.

• Like 2

Since you never wear makeup, I might use only a tinted lip balm (sheer, the color should match the inside of your lower lip), and waterproof Maybelline Great Lash mascara.  Practice first, but total should cost less than $10 at Walmart, $15 at Target or CVS.  Burt's Bees is sold at Walmart and the tinted lip balm comes in several flattering shades.

• Like 2

I think you should do the thing that will make you feel most at-ease.  That might mean a bit of lipstick, or it mean the whole kit & caboodle, or it might mean none at all.  I agree with a previous poster that for a job like that, projecting competence, intelligence, confidence, and interest in learning how to do the job well are all much more important than the details of appearance.  That is, you should be clean, and tidy, and not smell bad.  Your hair should be brushed.  But beyond that, I agree with a previous poster that so long as you don't look scary or criminal, you can be confident that your appearance is within the range of normal for the job.  

For some women, putting on the war paint can help them project confidence.  If it will be the opposite for you, then skip it. 

• Like 4

I think you should do the thing that will make you feel most at-ease. That might mean a bit of lipstick, or it mean the whole kit & caboodle, or it might mean none at all. I agree with a previous poster that for a job like that, projecting competence, intelligence, confidence, and interest in learning how to do the job well are all much more important than the details of appearance. That is, you should be clean, and tidy, and not smell bad. Your hair should be brushed. But beyond that, I agree with a previous poster that so long as you don't look scary or criminal, you can be confident that your appearance is within the range of normal for the job.

For some women, putting on the war paint can help them project confidence. If it will be the opposite for you, then skip it.

Exactly. I personally would be self-conscious if I did not wear make up. I wear make up daily and would feel like I looked tired or unhealthy without it; therefore, I would wear make up to an interview. But if I never wore make up, I expect I would feel weird and self-consious wearing it for an interview. So I wouldn't.

• Like 4

I have never regularly worn make up ever.  Formals and my wedding, that's it.  So, no, I wouldn't.  But I'm a stubborn mule and would rather be poor than bow to such expectations, so you might not want to listen to me.   ;)

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 4

Ok. I'll take a look at Walmart tomorrow for some mascara and lip balm. My eyelashes are really light so I can see that mascara might brighten my eyes. I did once buy tinted moisturizer, per my mom's suggestion and it still felt thick on my face. I didn't like it. My mom has always worn makeup. I think it bothers her that I do not. She also told me now that I'm pushing 50 I shouldn't go out without some on because older women look better with makeup. Normally I ignore her, but this time I am questioning it because it's been years since I had an interview. That was at a daycare and I did not wear makeup and was hired on the spot.

I feel weird wearing makeup. I don't know why. 

• Like 1

Ok. I'll take a look at Walmart tomorrow for some mascara and lip balm. My eyelashes are really light so I can see that mascara might brighten my eyes. I did once buy tinted moisturizer, per my mom's suggestion and it still felt thick on my face. I didn't like it. My mom has always worn makeup. I think it bothers her that I do not. She also told me now that I'm pushing 50 I shouldn't go out without some on because older women look better with makeup. Normally I ignore her, but this time I am questioning it because it's been years since I had an interview. That was at a daycare and I did not wear makeup and was hired on the spot.

Maybe having cared for your skin without makeup you do not look like a tired aging person who needs makeup as your mother suggests.

• Like 3

I do not wear make-up.  A CVS job, I would look clean and neat, but no make-up.  An office job may care about image so I would wear light powder foundation, a hint of blush, light to no eye shadow, and mascara.  As for lips, I would probably just do lip-balm or lip gloss.  I wouldn't like it, but this is the bare minimum I'm willing to do for a job.  Things to even out skin tone and maybe enhance my eyes (as that's what I'm hoping they look at while talking to me) so that I don't have anything that draws their attention away from ME at the interview.  Once hired, I would abide by the dress code or general office culture.  They would get used to me not wearing makeup or I would get used to applying minimal makeup and consider like a dress code.

You have a lovely smile. That will go a lot further than any make-up.

If it makes you feel more confident (as others have said), then put some light make up on.

For me, I'd probably do moisturizer (tinted or not) and a Burt's Bee lip shimmer...which is a natural look.

• Like 2

Okay, well I still disagree with your mom and feel you should go clean and neat and not worry about it, however, if you are going to Walmart for Mascara and lip balm, I recommend Voluminous Million Lashes for the mascara and Burts Bees for the lip balm. That mascara doesn't flake or smudge and I have had good wear and results with it. And I like the tinted Burts Bees that give a little color with moisture. It doesn't wear off weirdly or dry out the lips or otherwise behave badly.

• Like 6

She also told me now that I'm pushing 50 I shouldn't go out without some on because older women look better with makeup 

I think that's her age talking. I'm a similar age, and I know both my mom and m-i-l grew up with the idea makeup, coiffed hair, slips, and pantyhose.  

I do wear base more often these days, but only because my rosacea can get pretty fierce. My hair is long and casual, and I don't even own pantyhose or a slip. 

My dds, late teens, have never owned pantyhose or a slip. 

You do you. CVS wants you to be on time and pleasant to the customers. I can't imagine them caring about makeup vs no makeup. 

• Like 6

Ordinarily I would say that a little light makeup might be a good idea, but if you feel weird wearing makeup, you might want to pass on it for the interview. It's important to make a good impression on the interviewer, and it may be hard to do that if your mind keeps focusing on whether or not your mascara is running or your lip gloss is staying in place. It sounds like you already have a nice outfit to wear and your new hairstyle looks great, so you may be better off forgetting about the makeup if it will help you feel more relaxed for the interview.

And I say that as a person who wears makeup. :)

• Like 1

Okay, well I still disagree with your mom and feel you should go clean and neat and not worry about it, however, if you are going to Walmart for Mascara and lip balm, I recommend Voluminous Million Lashes for the mascara and Burts Bees for the lip balm. That mascara doesn't flake or smudge and I have had good wear and results with it. And I like the tinted Burts Bees that give a little color with moisture. It doesn't wear off weirdly or dry out the lips or otherwise behave badly.

Thanks Quill. My mom has some strange ideas. She didn't hurt my feelings though because she's talked to me before about wearing makeup. Anyway, I'll try these two things you've suggested. If it looks weird or makes me feel weird, I won't wear makeup to the interview at all.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 3

I don't think make-up is necessary, and I wear it. There is a difference between wearing no make-up & looking like you rolled out of bed or have put no effort into yourself. I have a lot of friends that are make-up free but wear jewelry, dress really cute, and take care of their skin, etc. I would definitely look presentable & put together. But make-up? Not necessary imo. 😊

• Like 3

You have a lovely smile. That will go a lot further than any make-up.

This. And I don't think you look old. Nor do I think people can look unreliable. They can only be unreliable. I'm betting that your prospective employer will be more concerned about how you interact with people and how well you do your job than if you're wearing makeup or not.

Best wishes on your interview!

Edited by Hikin' Mama
  • Like 5

I'd go as is, neat and tidy.

I rarely leave the house without at least lip gloss & tinted sunblock (more for sun protection, the tint is just bonus). But I used to interview cashiers and never noticed either way. My focus was on reliability and skills. Since I like to use it for fun, I do notice well done (or really unflattering) make up but I do not care or judge if a person wears it. 

I think you should do whatever you need to do to present the most polished "you" possible.  For most women, that includes a quality suit and accessories, understated makeup, shoes in good repair, and a positive attitude.  I would take your mom's advice.  Doing those things does not mean you can't make sure you know the job requirements and company profile, it just addresses the fact that an attractive and polished physical appearance matters in getting a job and receiving promotions, as unpalatable as it sounds.  I guess it depends on who your competition is and how badly you want the job.  If I really wanted the job I would do everything I reasonably could to present myself in the best possible light.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1