Menu

Make-up, Yes or No?

Night Elf

Clinique gives out take home samples of almost everything.  ;)

Really, people? Even "cheap" makeup is expensive if you're only going to use it once. $12 for foundation. $8 for eyeliner. $10 for mascara. $12 for lipstick. $10 for blush. I would call that the basics of having a made-up face. I would not spend $50 to make up my face for an interview if that wasn't my normal look. Plus, you might not be that good at applying it well, and it takes some effort to get make up that is correct for your skin tone and suits the look you want to project.

It reminds me of how my SIL, before she was engaged to my BIL, used to make these elaborate dinners, complete with a homemade dessert, a practice she promptly abandoned once they were married because she hates to cook. Bait and switch.

I think people should look their best for interviews, but within the parameters of what looking their best normally is for themselves. Really a confident smile does wonders for any person's face and how can one do that if they feel like they are in a masquerade?

• Like 2

But men and women are not judged the same when it comes to appearance.  I don't like that idea either, but it's a well-documented fact.

I've never seen a man, dressed respectably, not wearing makeup, and thought, "Wow, he sure looks old and tired.  Really not put together."

• Like 1

I just think it's interesting how many women here are *not* wearing make-up. I don't, but I figured I was in the minority. It really sounds like culture has shifted, because we're seeing it's at least 50-50 here with women wearing make-up or not.

Just as a total aside, if you have a tendency to be sensitive, you might not want to be trying out new products right before an interview. I'm sensitive, and I thought I'd get all swanky and try a daily moisturizer routine. It was Burts Bees, should have been inocuous, and still I turned bright red! So I tend to think go as a clean, tidy version of your normal self. They're probably more worried about promptness, ability to count change, and honesty, than they are about whether you have a little rosacea or whatever.

• Like 2

If it were me, and my skin was good, I'd wear a brown-black mascara and lipstick or tinted lip balm. You can use a little of the balm on your cheeks if you need a smidge of color there. I wouldn't spring for the full face kit if I knew I'd never touch it again. Heck, go to ulta before your interview, apply a few test products sparingly, then so you're not an unethical mooch, purchase something you'll USE when you leave. It doesn't have to be makeup. It can be soap or Chapstick or a gift for a friend.

• Like 1

But men and women are not judged the same when it comes to appearance. I don't like that idea either, but it's a well-documented fact.

Sounds like a good reason we ladies should rally together. I'm becoming a lot less likely to bow to ridiculousness.

• Like 5

I think you should do whatever you need to do to present the most polished "you" possible.  For most women, that includes a quality suit and accessories, understated makeup, shoes in good repair, and a positive attitude. 

A quality suit for a job interview as a drugstore cashier? Surely that would be totally overdressed.

• Like 8

A quality suit for a job interview as a drugstore cashier? Surely that would be totally overdressed.

I'm sure I'll be overdressed for my interview. I have a toffee maxi skirt with a coral blouse that has lace around the bottom edge. I'll wear black flats. I don't own dress pants and I can't go in jeans. I have two other skirts, both long, but I wear nice tshirts with them and DH said it definitely looked too laid back for an interview. 

So I'm thinking about all this preparation and I haven't even been called yet. If I don't get this interview, I don't know where else to apply. My specialty is childcare, babies to toddlers. I rock at taking care of children. However, I don't want to work in a daycare right now. I just want a different type of job. I've applied to 3 CVS stores so far and only one has positions open. If for some reason he doesn't hire me, there is one more CVS store a little farther away from my house. I don't know if HR approves the application first and then sends it to the store manager or if doing that is up to the manager. I just want a chance to interview. If CVS doesn't work out, I'm going to try at Publix I guess. There are a couple of food places hiring but I really don't want to work around food. I'm worried Publix would want me in the deli and I don't want to work in that department. I want to be a cashier.

I would probably do a little even if I generally wore none. My routine includes concealer, blush, eyeliner, and muted shadows. I don't wear mascara or foundation or lipsticks of any kind. 

I would probably put more effort into my hair and posture though. 

Why the makeup? 1. I don't know how old the interviewer might be. While my age is apparent by my hair, I don't want to be viewed as frumpy and tired looking - even though I can be both. 

2. It shows I put in some effort, even if they don't notice. 

3. It's still a cultural expectation for the majority of women and as a cashier they want people who are pleasant. 

Why does it matter in a position such as a cashier? I worked retail and it's not rocket science, they are not hiring off your expertise, they want people with people skills. Make up is neutral. 

• Like 1

All that being said, I went into an Ulta today for the first time. I needed some hair care stuff that they only carry. I felt woefully out of place surrounded by all the refinements for women, mostly for women.

Ulta is my youngest dd's happy place. When I first started going with her I felt out of place. I gradually became more comfortable there even though I pretty much only buy shampoo and conditioner. And an awesome blow dryer.  As i get older I care less about feeling so out of place...I walk in like I belong there and it's a great feeling. Wish I had this kind of confidence when I was young!!

I really haven't worn make-up since 2001. I've never liked it. I may have a job interview next week (please oh please let it happen) and my mom told me I needed to wear make-up or I'll look old and unreliable. What do you think about that? I would have to go out and buy it because I have nothing. And I figure if I wear make-up to the interview, then I need to wear it to work every time. I don't feel like I have a bad complexion. She said I for sure needed mascara, eyeliner and lipstick. She also suggested a powder foundation. I'm kind of offended that I can't go and present myself as I am. I know I should make a good first impression. I have a nice skirt, flats and blouse. It's a nice, conservative outfit. 

What do you recommend I do?

Mascara, yes, unless your eyelashes are already quite dark, but I can't get worked up about eye liner. Lipstick...meh. And I don't do just powder foundation; if I'm going to do the whole face, it's foundation, blush, finishing powder.

I wear make up every day, but if I didn't ever, and didn't even own any, then, no, I would not wear it to an interview. I'm sorry, but I think that is stupid. You should present yourself as you expect to be, IMO.

I agree with this 100%.  I, too, am a make-up person, but I also believe that you should present yourself with integrity.  If you do not wear make-up, don't wear it to the interview.  I do feel that, for interview purposes, you should consider dressing just a bit better than the job you are applying for requires as a wardrobe standard.  Neat, clean and pulled together are really all you need here.  The outfit you described sounds appropriate.  Go with that and your best smile.

Good luck! :)

• Like 2

I am in an odd situation in that I have lost all my hair. So it's not like I'm going to look great no matter what I do. That said, I will use the words of a friend who said that make-up "brightens us." My mom wore very little makeup in a much more formal generation and I took my cues from her. That said, I feel like a little lipstick, eyebrow pencil is worth the 30 seconds it takes in the morning. If I still had eyelashes, I would go the whole hog to a minute for mascara.

I will say that (at long last) I have beautiful skin, so I'm not messing with foundation and so on. Short attention span is the real problem. :0)

If I were interviewing for a job, it would depend on who the competition was and how badly I wanted the job.  Getting a job in a competitive field or in a tight job market isn't ridiculous, so if I thought makeup would give me an edge, then I'd wear it.

Sounds like a good reason we ladies should rally together. I'm becoming a lot less likely to bow to ridiculousness.

I wouldn't buy a cheap suit if I could afford a quality one, no matter what the job was.  Cheap is usually ill-fitting and looks horrible, and if the suit isn't worthy of a higher position you will have worn it once and that would be money poorly spent for a one-time deal.

If I were interviewing for a job, it would depend on who the competition was and how badly I wanted the job. Getting a job in a competitive field or in a tight job market isn't ridiculous, so if I thought makeup would give me an edge, then I'd wear it.

Sure, but she's not talking about interviewing for a judgeship or TV news anchor. It's a cashier position. *I* would wear make up, too. But I wear makeup, so, for me, it is the same as putting on earrings. I don't feel dressed up until I've completed tat. But the OP was not asking what I would do. She was asking about her own circumstances, so I answered accordingly.

What I think is ridiculous is saying men expect this, so I have to. I was down with that when I was 25. But now I'm 46 and I'm not. I wore shoes to the law firm where I worked back then that I would not wear for ten minutes now. I no longer wear shoes that look pretty on the rack but are absolute crippling torture after twenty minutes walking in them.

Tangent alert: a guest at a wedding I recently went to wore a beautiful pair of fancy high heels. But she also had a cheap pair of flip-flops (yes, really) in her purse, which she changed into after the first hour. (She also placed her fancy shoes ON the dining table, which I also thought was gauche. I guess she wanted to look at them longer since she couldn't actually wear them.) I think this is stupid. Why wear a beautiful, probably very expensive, pair of high heels to a wedding only to soon change to ugly, inappropriate flip flops after the first hour? Why not just choose some beautiful shoes that don't cripple the wearer within thirty minutes? This is the kind of ridiculousness I don't brook anymore.

I also don't think a suit is necessary for that job. Dress nicely, yes. Quality suit - not necessary.

• Like 2

OK, I'm not saying to wear crippling heels for any event - heck, I never even did that when I was 25.  You can look put together and sharp without crippling shoes.  But makeup is not crippling, and I am not even talking about a full-on makeup - I am talking about a slap of lipstick, some eyebrow pencil and mascara, and maybe a touch of cheek color; something that brightens the face and gives the appearance of a put-together look.  I'll bet that's what OP's mom meant when she used the term "reliable".  That's hardly a hardship or crippling.  This is not a response to what men want either; people who are attractive get what they want in this world.  It sounds horrible, but that's the way it is and I think it is rooted in biology and we're not going to be changing that in my lifetime.  So why not play the game and get what you want (the job) and move on?

Tangent alert, related to your tangent alert:  When I got married, I refused to buy those cheap uncomfortable, dyeable shoes that they try to sell brides.  My mother was flabbergasted when I went out and bought a pair of white heels in quality leather.  But those shoes served me for many years and were very comfortable, so I wore them through the wedding and reception.  I got married in the heat of August and the church had no AC.  So I declined the Spanx that would have smoothed out my bulges, as well.  Mom had a stroke at that one, LOL.  

ETA:  I was using "quality suit" as a metaphor for clothing that reaches above the level job for which you are applying.  I think a suit would be fine for that, and wouldn't bother buying a cheap one, either- that's as bad as cheap, one-wear shoes. 

Sure, but she's not talking about interviewing for a judgeship or TV news anchor. It's a cashier position. *I* would wear make up, too. But I wear makeup, so, for me, it is the same as putting on earrings. I don't feel dressed up until I've completed tat. But the OP was not asking what I would do. She was asking about her own circumstances, so I answered accordingly.

What I think is ridiculous is saying men expect this, so I have to. I was down with that when I was 25. But now I'm 46 and I'm not. I wore shoes to the law firm where I worked back then that I would not wear for ten minutes now. I no longer wear shoes that look pretty on the rack but are absolute crippling torture after twenty minutes walking in them.

Tangent alert: a guest at a wedding I recently went to wore a beautiful pair of fancy high heels. But she also had a cheap pair of flip-flops (yes, really) in her purse, which she changed into after the first hour. (She also placed her fancy shoes ON the dining table, which I also thought was gauche. I guess she wanted to look at them longer since she couldn't actually wear them.) I think this is stupid. Why wear a beautiful, probably very expensive, pair of high heels to a wedding only to soon change to ugly, inappropriate flip flops after the first hour? Why not just choose some beautiful shoes that don't cripple the wearer within thirty minutes? This is the kind of ridiculousness I don't brook anymore.

I also don't think a suit is necessary for that job. Dress nicely, yes. Quality suit - not necessary.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

Make up is not crippling, no, but she said ahe didn't want to wear it and didn't own any. So in my opinion, she doesn't need to. I do agree that society is biased towards attractive people, but I'm seeing a photo avatar of a woman who is not unattractive. I think "reliable" is a strange choice of adjective. Someone upthread said how can you "look" reliable; you can only BE reliable, and I agree with that sentiment.

I do think it's terrific you chose good shoes for your wedding and not those horrible dyeable shoes. :)

• Like 3

I wouldn't buy a cheap suit if I could afford a quality one, no matter what the job was.  Cheap is usually ill-fitting and looks horrible, and if the suit isn't worthy of a higher position you will have worn it once and that would be money poorly spent for a one-time deal.

I would not wear any kind of suit to get a job as a cashier. 

• Like 3

I would not wear any kind of suit to get a job as a cashier. 

I don't know the definition of suit being used in these posts. What I plan to wear is an ankle length skirt and blouse that doesn't tuck in. I think it looks nice. I guess it could be seen as dressy but I don't own much jewelry so I can't dress it up. I don't even own a necklace. The only other bottoms I own are jeans and I don't want to wear jeans to a interview. I also don't want to go buy a pair of pants. I've spent so much on clothes and shoes lately already.

• Like 3

I don't know the definition of suit being used in these posts. What I plan to wear is an ankle length skirt and blouse that doesn't tuck in. I think it looks nice. I guess it could be seen as dressy but I don't own much jewelry so I can't dress it up. I don't even own a necklace. The only other bottoms I own are jeans and I don't want to wear jeans to a interview. I also don't want to go buy a pair of pants. I've spent so much on clothes and shoes lately already.

I'm sure you'll look great! :)

• Like 1

This is perfectly appropriate!

• Like 1

That sounds very nice.  Slightly up from what the typical cashier probably wears, so it's perfect.

I wore a pair of slacks with a long blouse to my interview with the grocery store, a maxi skirt, solid colored t-shirt, and cardigan to my target interview (it was November).  I was hired for both.

• Like 1

That sounds very nice.  Slightly up from what the typical cashier probably wears, so it's perfect.

I agree! For an interview, always go one step above normal job wear. Not a ton above - a formal dress or business suit for a cashier for example would be inappropriate, but your selection sounds perfect!

As for the makeup, I don't wear it and wouldn't wear it for an interview. If you try a little and feel good in it, great, but don't make yourself uncomfortable, because that is much more likely to show than the small amount of make-up you're going to put on!

• Like 1