Menu

Ok, are chips really that bad for you?!?

lewber

In both healthy threads going on now there are several mentions of no chips in the house!! Chips are my most favorite food:) I get organic blue tortilla chips to eat with organic salsa and kettle cooked potato chips made with avocado oil to snack on. Or eat for lunch. Those can't be that bad for me can they?

I know they're caloric and yes I need to lose some weight. But my sugar and cholesterol numbers are really good.

I am trying to be healthy, but how bad are these for me really? :)

• Like 1

It's not that they're bad, I think, but that it's very easy to overeat and not feel sated.  If I'm going to eat those calories, I'm either going to portion it out well or optimally eat something that will make me feel full.  Chips feel so much like a......like a repetitive exercise.  You don't feel anything at the end.  It was just something to eat.

• Like 7

Generally speaking, chips are high in salt, simple carbohydrates, oil, sometimes sugar, and they offer very little nutritional value.

In our house, nacho chips are a filler and medium to get cheese, salsa and other veggies into the belly. Crackers, ricer crackers and bread have a similar function, with a wider variety of toppings, and a choice of high-fibre bread and crackers.

• Like 4

I love chips. I know they're not great for me, but I don't think I need everything I eat to be 100% healthy, so I eat them in moderation and don't worry about it.

I'm like Sparkly -- I love salty snacks!

But I also appreciate Seasider's reminder that semisweet chocolate chips are chips, too. :D

So apparently I like any any and all varieties of chips.:)

• Like 11

I have a small amount (an ounce or two) of Wheat Thins or chips every single day. They fit in just fine with my overall healthy diet. I'm at a healthy weight, my BP and cholesterol levels are great. I totally reject the notion that carbs are evil or to be avoided if at all possible by most healthy people (and I say that as someone with a very strong family history of diabetes). Would I let chips or snack crackers be a big percentage of my diet? No. But a small amount eaten with the veggie salad I typically have for lunch? Perfectly fine IMO. 

• Like 9

You know the Costco sized bag of tortilla strips? Serving size... nine chip strips. Just nine. 140 calories, 7g fat, 17g carbs.

Most people eat more than that. I know my kids do! Personally, that's about my meal serving size limit (without anything added, like salsa or guac), or I feel sick. But I'm not normal.

• Like 3

You know the Costco sized bag of tortilla strips? Serving size... nine chip strips. Just nine. 140 calories, 7g fat, 17g carbs.

Most people eat more than that. I know my kids do! Personally, that's about my meal serving size limit (without anything added, like salsa or guac), or I feel sick. But I'm not normal.

Yes, the serving size is key. I don't usually keep chips in the house but dh and the kids bring them in. And it's like a tractor beam, that bag of chips in the pantry reeling me in...no way can I stick to the labeled serving size. That's why I personally do best not to have them around.

• Like 4

There are some studies that show the high levels of acrylamide found in foods fried above a certain temperature are not healthy. Certain starchy foods are worse than others. Studies are ongoing.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/acrylamide-fact-sheet

My bad favorite food is a strong frozen margarita. :thumbup1:

Edited by MBM
  • Like 4

Portion your servings out.  Take the big bag and divide it into small sandwich baggies.  Only eat a small sandwich baggie or snack baggie of chips each day.  You can eat them all at once or parcel them out throughout the day.

When I started tracking literally everything I ate through MyFitnessPal (pretty easy to do since nearly everything, including fresh produce bought at the grocery store has a bar code that I can easily scan into the system) I was much better able to judge not just calories but nutrition and what my body was lacking and what it was getting too much of.  For example, I realized that I was short on iron and protein and way over on sugar and salt and sometimes trans fats.  I shifted how I was eating the things I loved that weren't so good for me.  I can still eat them.  I just have to keep portions under control.  For instance, I am a huge fan of white cheddar popcorn.  It isn't horrible for me but it is easy to eat way more than I should just sitting there stuffing my face as I do other things or as I eat it alongside my meal.  I started portioning it out into sandwich baggies.  I have that bag to parcel out throughout the day.  When it is gone, I have eaten my fill for the day.  It keeps me from over consuming.

• Like 5

Chips aren't the best food inhe world, and they aren't the worst.

We love all sorts of salty snacks chips. It isn't the most cost-effective, but I buy the individual bags. They are usual,y justbenough, rarely does anyone get a second one. But any of us could eat an entire full size bag of the same chips. Weird, but it's a portion control trick.

You could easily eat a horrifically unhealthy diet that was completely chip-free, and you can also eat very well and enjoy chips in moderation.

• Like 8

Well, potatoes aren't necessarily bad for you.  Nor is fat or salt, for that matter.

I think the problem with chips is many people just eat too many, with no control.

That's my problem, anyway.  I am pretty low-key about foods and don't ban much - good chips, the kind I like, aren't super processed or anything.

But, I can easily eat a whole bag in an evening.  Even if I am trying to restrain myself, I eat half a bag.

So - I don't buy them unless I am ok with that.  Which means, very rarely.

• Like 7

I eat chips in moderation, but only Jackson's Honest Sweet Potato or Purple Potato chips. I like that they are slow cooked in coconut oil plus they are delicious. I've been looking for their tortilla chips by me without luck, but I will sometimes eat a small amount of organic tortilla chips. 

Eh, I think they're okay in moderation. Moderation here means--an occasional food, not a daily food, and as part of a one-plate meal (ala No-S diet) that usually includes half a sandwich and some veggies or fruit, with a small handful of chips. As opposed to sitting down and mindlessly eating out of the bag--which would be all too easy for me to do!

I mean you could offer me the most delectable dessert...I'll choose the chips over that any day! 

Me, I'd like the dessert AND the chips. I like to alternate that sweet/salty thing.

• Like 2

Portion your servings out.  Take the big bag and divide it into small sandwich baggies.  Only eat a small sandwich baggie or snack baggie of chips each day.  You can eat them all at once or parcel them out throughout the day.

When I started tracking literally everything I ate through MyFitnessPal (pretty easy to do since nearly everything, including fresh produce bought at the grocery store has a bar code that I can easily scan into the system) I was much better able to judge not just calories but nutrition and what my body was lacking and what it was getting too much of.  For example, I realized that I was short on iron and protein and way over on sugar and salt and sometimes trans fats.  I shifted how I was eating the things I loved that weren't so good for me.  I can still eat them.  I just have to keep portions under control.  For instance, I am a huge fan of white cheddar popcorn.  It isn't horrible for me but it is easy to eat way more than I should just sitting there stuffing my face as I do other things or as I eat it alongside my meal.  I started portioning it out into sandwich baggies.  I have that bag to parcel out throughout the day.  When it is gone, I have eaten my fill for the day.  It keeps me from over consuming.

Chips aren't the best food inhe world, and they aren't the worst.

We love all sorts of salty snacks chips. It isn't the most cost-effective, but I buy the individual bags. They are usual,y justbenough, rarely does anyone get a second one. But any of us could eat an entire full size bag of the same chips. Weird, but it's a portion control trick.

You could easily eat a horrifically unhealthy diet that was completely chip-free, and you can also eat very well and enjoy chips in moderation.

I agree with the idea of buying the single serving bags or making your own portion-controlled baggies of chips.

If I buy the single serving bags, I only eat one bag, but if I have a huge bag of chips sitting next to me, I'll eat at least twice as many chips (probably more, if I'm going to be honest about it. :D) I don't feel any less satisfied with the single serving bag than I do with a much larger serving. I know I can go into the pantry and get another little bag if I want one, so I don't feel deprived, but I rarely bother to go get a second bag.

• Like 1

This is what I found last year when I was doing MyFitnessPal. When I am restricting calories and chips take a chunk of that, I am not getting the other nutrients. I can get behind that logic. Right now I am not counting calories. I started running and my blood work looked great and I've thrown caution to the wind. :lol:  

I can't quit, I don't eat them often, but when I do, I eat a lot. I buy good quality ones - I mean I buy them from the health food store, they can't be all bad :laugh:  The ingredients are potatoes, avocado oil and salt. 

They bring me joy! That sounds sad, but I'm sticking to the truth!

• Like 2

I personally believe that the right kind of chips in controlled portions are just fine. These are the numbers for Trader Joe's Organic Tortilla Chip rounds. I weigh out my serving size (1 oz) and am very used to that being a serving. In that I get 140 calories, 7 total gm fat but only 1 gm is saturated which is what I am watching, 2 gm protein, 80 mg sodium, 2 mg fiber. 80 mg sodium is practically a low sodium food--less than an egg or piece of bread. And we have to watch sodium, so this is important to us. There's a little bit of fiber too which helps me reach another goal. I see no problem with these.

140 7 1 2 80 2

This is what I found last year when I was doing MyFitnessPal. When I am restricting calories and chips take a chunk of that, I am not getting the other nutrients. I can get behind that logic. Right now I am not counting calories. I started running and my blood work looked great and I've thrown caution to the wind. :lol:  

I can't quit, I don't eat them often, but when I do, I eat a lot. I buy good quality ones - I mean I buy them from the health food store, they can't be all bad :laugh:  The ingredients are potatoes, avocado oil and salt. 

I think you sound a LOT less sad and much more grounded in reality (and yes, mentally healthier) than people who insist that certain foods are "good" and others absolutely "bad." 

• Like 2

The numbers are important that tell you calories, fat, salt but really they only tell you what the food has not what you need.

I have one friend who struggles to get enough iron and should be eating more red meat and a brother who must restrict iron content because his iron is too high.

They say "Americans" need less salt but that isn't true of all Americans. Roasted, salted almonds really helped me after a long bike trip in the sun. I NEEDED salt. My husband also has experienced dizziness from lack of electrolytes and athletes often use electrolyte drinks or even salt tablets.

Same with sugar although I doubt people need much refined sugar. Dried fruit or other things will usually cut it, usually but it is important for me to keep my sugar intake steady.

All this too say, really you must eat according to your lifestyle and genetics. Nothing in most regular chips is particularly bad and your body needs all of those things but they may need less of them than you want to eat because lets face it, chips are hard to ration. It is so tempting to eat the whole bag.

• Like 4

I justify tortilla chips by loading them up with Trader Joes Cowboy Caviar salsa. The salsa is healthy and filling and makes sticking to a serving size say for me.

(I also use that salsa as salad dressing, so take it for whatever it's worth lol)

• Like 1

For me, limiting chips is not a carb thing; we eat all kinds of carbs.  More an "empty calorie" and hard-to-limit-the-portion-size thing.

My long slow incremental evolution toward better, still nowhere close to perfect, health habits has centered around developing a habit of asking myself, what is the positive point of this food?  

If there is a sound nutritional answer -- go for it!  If it is a delicious dish that a dear friend has lovingly prepared on my behalf -- go for it!  If it is a rare and difficult dessert on a restaurant menu that I would never attempt myself and sounds absolutely divine -- go for it!  

But if it's just... salty... well, I can't come up with a very compelling answer to what is the positive point.  Which is a pity, because they *are* alluring and addictive, but.... if I am honest with myself, alluring and addictive are not "positive" attributes.  Thus: out and about no problem, but not in the house.

• Like 5

But if it's just... salty... well, I can't come up with a very compelling answer to what is the positive point.  

We need salt to survive. Without sodium, we die. 

Consequences can be pretty dire pretty fast for athletes or hikers who sweat heavily.

And for those of us with low blood pressure, increasing salt intake is helpful.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

I was one of the ones who mentioned chips.  I mean potato chips, and the reason I mention them is that the Suggested Portion on the back is the FDA's sick humor.  No one eats EIGHT chips (or however many they say---or did they mean 8 BAGS of chips? in which case I'm ok).  So the nutritional value in a Suggested Portion is that great but it's not that bad, either.  It's just the portion is ridiculous in my real world.  

I could say the same thing for marshmallows.

Some people crave sweet and some crave salt when a snack comes along.  I tend toward craving salt (and that makes sense as I have very low blood pressure), but once I get started on marshmallows, forget it.  So I just don't buy them.  Except I did.  Welllllll they were on sale.  :0/. 

For me, limiting chips is not a carb thing; we eat all kinds of carbs.  More an "empty calorie" and hard-to-limit-the-portion-size thing.

My long slow incremental evolution toward better, still nowhere close to perfect, health habits has centered around developing a habit of asking myself, what is the positive point of this food?  

If there is a sound nutritional answer -- go for it!  If it is a delicious dish that a dear friend has lovingly prepared on my behalf -- go for it!  If it is a rare and difficult dessert on a restaurant menu that I would never attempt myself and sounds absolutely divine -- go for it!  

But if it's just... salty... well, I can't come up with a very compelling answer to what is the positive point.  Which is a pity, because they *are* alluring and addictive, but.... if I am honest with myself, alluring and addictive are not "positive" attributes.  Thus: out and about no problem, but not in the house.

I think sometimes when I crave salt, that is exactly what I crave.  Salt.  I don't need all the delivery mechanism, necessarily.  So I'll just eat 1/8 teaspoon of salt.  And in about 4 minutes, I feel a lot better.  No fat, no carbs.  

Like I mentioned upthread, I have very low blood pressure, so this is likely my body telling me it needs something.

Also, we don't eat out a lot and we don't buy a lot of processed foods, so it is very possible I am not getting very much salt to begin with.  Hence the craving.

We need salt to survive. Without sodium, we die.

Consequences can be pretty dire pretty fast for athletes or hikers who sweat heavily.

And for those of us with low blood pressure, increasing salt intake is helpful.

This.

I know if I am craving chips something is off and I need salt. I do not enjoy just eating salt so I eat a chips.

• Like 4

Any food can be bad for you if you eat too much of it or if it displaces something else in your diet. I also don't subscribe to the idea that this oil is "bad" while this oil is "better" unless we're talking transfats. It's fat, 9 calories per gram. Nor do I think that the things you buy from the "health" food store is any better or different than things you buy at the regular grocery store. I'll admit there are those who disagree with me, ymmv.

If you eat more chips than vegetables? If your diet is short on fiber? And then those chips are taking the place of those things? Then I say they're probably not a good choice for you. I like chips every now and again, but I get out my scale and weigh out one serving. I generally eat them with a meal because I want my snacks to work for me. As for the salt? I run outside in the summer so a little extra salt is generally not a bad thing for me. I'd rather consume that salt in a tastier package than straight up. But the thing is, that works for me and fits with my nutritional goals.

Also, I find a few things like chips every now and again make life more pleasant. Food is more than just fuel and nutrition. It's also fun and for me, part of working my way towards a healthy weight meant keeping that in mind.

• Like 3

As a healthier alternative you can do microwave chips. You slice a potato really, really, thin (mandolin works great) then place on oiled,microwaveable plate ( I use avocado or coconut spray), single layer then lightly spray the tops.  Microwave 3-5 minutes (start to turn brown on the edges). Salt right away but let cool if you want them crunchy.  What is really healthy about this is that you can only do about 7-10 slices at a time and have to wait 3-5 minutes for more.... after about 5 plates you tell the kids (and yourself) that you are done.  Of course it's not that big of an issue as long as you put some kale in the oven when you started the potatoes, lightly salted and a bit of garlic powder makes these as good as potato chips.

• Like 1

I love chips more than chocolate. But once I start eating even a few, I get hooked, and that is when I start putting on weight. Every time I think I can have some for one meal for a treat (think a nacho/mexican night or something...) it starts me on a slippery slope. I love tortilla chips and just about about anything- fresh guacamole, fresh salsa, homemade bean dip with no fat added, not bad stuff in general. But man do I start putting on weight whenever I go for it. and I don't even go for fatty potato chips or anything like that. 

• Like 4

I think sometimes when I crave salt, that is exactly what I crave.  Salt.  I don't need all the delivery mechanism, necessarily.  So I'll just eat 1/8 teaspoon of salt.  And in about 4 minutes, I feel a lot better.

Namaste, my sister.

• Like 2

I love chips more than chocolate. But once I start eating even a few, I get hooked, and that is when I start putting on weight. Every time I think I can have some for one meal for a treat (think a nacho/mexican night or something...) it starts me on a slippery slope. I love tortilla chips and just about about anything- fresh guacamole, fresh salsa, homemade bean dip with no fat added, not bad stuff in general. But man do I start putting on weight whenever I go for it. and I don't even go for fatty potato chips or anything like that. 

So what you do instead is fill your plate with lettuce then top with your variety of toppings (meat cheese, beans etc) there's really not enough room to go overboard because of all the lettuce.  At the end crumble 5-7 chips on top for crunch.  I also like to add a thinned down ranch and hot sauce for dressing.

• Like 1

As a healthier alternative you can do microwave chips. You slice a potato really, really, thin (mandolin works great) then place on oiled,microwaveable plate ( I use avocado or coconut spray), single layer then lightly spray the tops.  Microwave 3-5 minutes (start to turn brown on the edges). Salt right away but let cool if you want them crunchy.  What is really healthy about this is that you can only do about 7-10 slices at a time and have to wait 3-5 minutes for more.... after about 5 plates you tell the kids (and yourself) that you are done.  Of course it's not that big of an issue as long as you put some kale in the oven when you started the potatoes, lightly salted and a bit of garlic powder makes these as good as potato chips.

My son does this all the time. 

• Like 1

As a healthier alternative you can do microwave chips. You slice a potato really, really, thin (mandolin works great) then place on oiled,microwaveable plate ( I use avocado or coconut spray), single layer then lightly spray the tops. Microwave 3-5 minutes (start to turn brown on the edges). Salt right away but let cool if you want them crunchy. What is really healthy about this is that you can only do about 7-10 slices at a time and have to wait 3-5 minutes for more.... after about 5 plates you tell the kids (and yourself) that you are done. Of course it's not that big of an issue as long as you put some kale in the oven when you started the potatoes, lightly salted and a bit of garlic powder makes these as good as potato chips.

Yum. I'd find a way to get as many in the microwave as I could and have ketchup ready!

• Like 1

My bad favorite food is a strong frozen margarita. :thumbup1:

What you need is a "whole fruit" margarita. One whole orange peeled, one whole lime peeled, one whole lemon peeled, sugar to taste, a little water, the alcohol to your tolerance, and some ice. Blend all together in a high speed blender. Better and more healthy than any margarita you can get made out and about. My thinking is the whole fruit cancels out the sugar, alcohol, and dash of salt on top.....right??? (ETA: if you do try this at home, take as many seeds out of the citrus fruits as possible, cuz they are bitter when blended)

Chips, I prefer semi-sweet chocolate myself. Seriously, I think some chips a couple times/week are fine for most people, it's binge eating them and eating them daily that can enter into the unhealthy zone.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 3

It's not that they're intrinsically bad, but it's that I have absolutely no self-control. Even if I buy a multipack of single serving bags, I can't ignore them and eat just one. It's like Odysseus and the Sirens, but there's no one to tie me to the mast. So I only buy the amount of potato chips that I intend to eat immediately and I buy them on the day I intend to eat them. There are only a few foods that are like this and I'm perfectly okay just not having them around. 

I think the reason they were so commonly mentioned as "not having in the house" is because many people have this problem with them and far fewer have this problem with broccoli. 

As long as it's only a few processed highly palatable foods, I don't think it's a big issue. It becomes an issue when the list of foods you can't trust yourself around keeps growing and the list of foods you allow yourself to eat keeps shrinking. 

• Like 2

As a healthier alternative you can do microwave chips. You slice a potato really, really, thin (mandolin works great) then place on oiled,microwaveable plate ( I use avocado or coconut spray), single layer then lightly spray the tops. Microwave 3-5 minutes (start to turn brown on the edges). Salt right away but let cool if you want them crunchy. What is really healthy about this is that you can only do about 7-10 slices at a time and have to wait 3-5 minutes for more.... after about 5 plates you tell the kids (and yourself) that you are done. Of course it's not that big of an issue as long as you put some kale in the oven when you started the potatoes, lightly salted and a bit of garlic powder makes these as good as potato chips.

If I restricted myself to just homemade chips I would have no problem with overeating because I would be too lazy to make them. 😀

I find if I want to eat less having things that take work to eat definitely slows me down.

• Like 4

I have always had one cup of coffee in the morning, with flavored creamer.  This makes me happy! I mean, I sit there with my cup each day and think "even though I had to leave my warm snuggly bed, this tastes so good...*sigh*"

I went on a diet once where you were supposed to cut out sugar (except fruit) and the diet specified black coffee only.  No.  Sorry, but no.  My one cup with its creamer is worth it to me.  I followed the rules very strictly for SIX MONTHS.  Did wonderful.  Still had my one cup with creamer every day. 

And yes... I drank it while I was pregnant!  Caffeine! GASP!

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 4

I don't eat potato chips, but I am addicted to Cheez-Its and eat way too many of them every day. I think 1/4 of my daily calorie intake is cheez-its. :blushing:

That's okay, though, because everybody knows that Cheez-Its are totally nutritious.

How could they not be good for you when they've got Cheese right there in their name?

Ok, so it's Cheez and not Cheese, but it's the same thing, right? Somebody over at the Sunshine Biscuit factory was probably just a lousy speller and nobody noticed until it was too late to change the name on the box.

That's the story I'm sticking to, anyway. ;)

• Like 3

That's okay, though, because everybody knows that Cheez-Its are totally nutritious.

How could they not be good for you when they've got Cheese right there in their name?

Ok, so it's Cheez and not Cheese, but it's the same thing, right? Somebody over at the Sunshine Biscuit factory was probably just a lousy speller and nobody noticed until it was too late to change the name on the box.

That's the story I'm sticking to, anyway. ;)

Okay, then that means they are made with real milk, which means calcium for strong bones and teeth!  Totally healthy!  

Actually, I have a crazy story about Cheez-Its.  DH belongs to the Kellogg's rewards program and, we didn't even know it, but every time I bought Cheez-Its at the store during a certain time we were entered into some sweepstakes.  He ended up winning $10,000 from my Cheez-It purchases!  He got a call from Kellogg's and thought it was a scam.  We didn't believe it until we actually got the check.  Actually, I still don't believe it, but it's true.  

• Like 7

Okay, then that means they are made with real milk, which means calcium for strong bones and teeth! Totally healthy!

Actually, I have a crazy story about Cheez-Its. DH belongs to the Kellogg's rewards program and, we didn't even know it, but every time I bought Cheez-Its at the store during a certain time we were entered into some sweepstakes. He ended up winning $10,000 from my Cheez-It purchases! He got a call from Kellogg's and thought it was a scam. We didn't believe it until we actually got the check. Actually, I still don't believe it, but it's true.

This. Is. Awesome!

• Like 3