Menu

vent: why have libraries turned into play zones?

ondreeuh

My dream is that the libraries would get rid of the children's section computers and add a whole lot of small, comfy meeting rooms for free. Schoolwork, tutoring, playing group games on your own computer could all be done in these places. As well as business and organizational meetings. To me, that's how you stay relevant. If you had three or four floater laptops at the desk people would have access to a computer that they could take anywhere within the confines of the library, but they would not be obvious to young children as something they could use to play games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

The electronics were an issue at our library, and I (with the backing of several other moms) brought it up with our librarians.  We compromised by having a few, advertised hours where the children's section is "unplugged."  No screens are powered on at this time (except for the card catalog).  It took several iterations to develop the times it was offered, but it has now settled into a regular schedule:  Monday and Friday mornings from opening until noon.  So if a family wants to avoid the lure of the screens, they can plan their schedules accordingly.  Additionally, if there is no one in the children's department on other mornings, the librarians usually don't turn on the screens until a patron requests it.  So for us, going in the mornings is our best bet to get a quiet library.  Mondays and Fridays are guaranteed to be screen free; other days there's a decent likelihood it'll be screen free.  (Of course you have to work around Storytimes and other programming, but it's worked out for our community.)  Now if your children attend school, it wouldn't be particularly helpful.  I think our library tried some evening Quiet Times, but it wasn't that popular. 

• Like 5

My dream is that the libraries would get rid of the children's section computers and add a whole lot of small, comfy meeting rooms for free. Schoolwork, tutoring, playing group games on your own computer could all be done in these places. As well as business and organizational meetings. To me, that's how you stay relevant. If you had three or four floater laptops at the desk people would have access to a computer that they could take anywhere within the confines of the library, but they would not be obvious to young children as something they could use to play games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds great, except... I'm not sure tutors want to be alone in a separate room with their student.  Maybe if the rooms had glass walls?   

• Like 1

This sounds great, except... I'm not sure tutors want to be alone in a separate room with their student.  Maybe if the rooms had glass walls?   

Our libraries all have a glass wall on their "private" study areas.  The rooms range in size from a single seat desk to a large table with 12 chairs.

Wendy

• Like 2

True, libraries in many cities have turned into community gathering areas. 

If I were unhappy with any part of my library I would write a letter to the part of the local government that funds it, whether city or county, and cc to the library director, explaining my frustration or disappointment or better yet, my solution, to whatever problem I see. Get others to send in similar letters or ask them to add their signature to yours.

Where we used to live had lots of books in the local city library. When we visited last year, most of the bookshelves were gone and about 20-25 computer desks were set up. It was not like it used to be at all. Many books were gone. The reference desk was gone. Even the children's reading area for storytime was gone. I'm glad we don't live there anymore. 

I'm one who doesn't like the turn libraries have taken. Where we used to live there was a competition between libraries of who had the biggest and best. Every town has a large library with play places that were often better than nearby children's museums. One had an airplane with real control panel, slide to get down, play market, doctors office, wall size light brite, computer/iPad center and lots of other hands on things. Friends met up there for a play date and the entire time the librarians were telling the kids to stop running around and being loud?!? It's a play place not a library! This section was larger than the book section it its locate in a less affluent, smaller population town.

Our current library I love. It's small, but it's all about books. Just a few computers that are in the center of the library. There is still the expectation to be quiet. The kids section has kid sized chairs, couches and bean bags to read in and the only toy is a puppet stage. Our librarians are great and actually help find books and get to know us. I'll take this any day!

• Like 2

I'm wondering if libraries are tying to stay afloat by offering newer things for a wider age range?  Our library now has a knitting group and a quilting group.  They offer a 3D printing class, teen crafts, spa crafts, lego clubs, music recording, etc.  The upstairs is a quite zone but the downstairs is not.

This sounds great, except... I'm not sure tutors want to be alone in a separate room with their student. Maybe if the rooms had glass walls?

Ours has lots of these rooms, as well as larger conference rooms. All are free to use and all have glass doors.

They are often used for tutoring, or just quiet study space.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of little boys. I wouldn't be able to take them to a whisper only library. Our library allows reasonable noise in both the children & young adult (teen) sections. All the adult sections are usually quiet, for whatever reason the periodical room is dead silent except for the turning of pages. They also have quiet study rooms and an adults only computer lab. Honestly, I think this arrangement is best for everyone.

One of my boys was allergic to libraries. ;) something about the aisles of books and people wanting reasonable quiet just set.him.off. We stopped going.

And yes, all the kids sections have computers with kids swarmed around them. And a lot of trash books. They did some great programs though, we used to go to a writing class for oldest while the boys read or played with lego.

My local branch is not bad.  The kids section is all on the second floor.  There is a play area, and some other tables and chairs, and a good balance between too quiet and too loud, unless there is a special event when it gets louder. The computers are out of sight and not a focus.  In the last year a few ipads have appeared in the main area but it isn't so bad, though a little annoying.

However - they have just built a brand new, huge, main library.  It's great looking and has won architectual awards.  It's intended to really be a community center and has the big open concept, cafes and so on.

The thing that really peeves me about the kids area is that it is totally filled with screens.  Every kid is drawn to them like moths, it's impossible to get them to focus on looking at the books, or even the play area.  It's a beautiful building and we could easily get there on the bus, but I just don't go.  I can fight with the kids about screens at home, I don't want to do it at the library.

• Like 2

The electronic games thing drives me nuts too. I was in one library that had a wii day in the side room for kids. I just don't understand what the purpose is. How does that encourage literacy in any way? To me it's like getting people into an AA meeting by offering beer first. The reason the library struggles to attract kids in the first place is because they're hooked on their screens.

I've been to a heap of libraries. Recently I was in a few in the US. This was a new experience for me. One was in a particularly impoverished area. The library was tiny but packed with people using the free wifi. After hours the parking lot was full of people using the wifi from their cars. The children's section was absolutely pathetic, like 8ft by 8ft. Interlibrary loans cost money and that even included ordering books from within the county system. You couldn't even return books from the other branches from the system to a different branch. It just seemed like books, except the few that they had, were unavailable to most their patrons. I just couldn't believe it compared to my experiences in Canada. All the libraries we've been to here are much better funded. The branch systems would allow you to drop off books at any branch. ILLs are always free. I guess I hadn't realised how economically stratified the US is compared to Canada.

• Like 5

I think libraries are in a battle to stay relevant.

Also I guess for the kids that don't have any access to technology at home through poverty or whatever it may be helpful having the iPads or Internet or whatever. I do hate that my kids make a beeline for the DVDs before the books but I guess life's changing.

• Like 1

I love the small library in our town and the bigger library 15 minutes away. We spent hours in each when the kids were little.

They played with toys, played some educational computer games, looked at books, went to story time, sat with me as I read to them, and sometimes watched a movie. We utilized everything.

I don't mind loud libraries, but I don't need quiet to read. I dislike whisper only libraries.

Kelly

I'll just say, I have no problem with libraries having computers  - they are really important for access to information which is part of most library's mission.  And training sessions that many have to teach computers kills are important too.

I don't even mind using some computers for games.  But I'd rather have none of that than the free for all we seem to have now.  It used to be at our library that kids had to sign up and they could only have a half an hour slot.  Not so bad, and since they were out of sight not a constant reminder that they were available, either.

• Like 1

The electronic games thing drives me nuts too. I was in one library that had a wii day in the side room for kids. I just don't understand what the purpose is. How does that encourage literacy in any way? To me it's like getting people into an AA meeting by offering beer first. The reason the library struggles to attract kids in the first place is because they're hooked on their screens.

I've been to a heap of libraries. Recently I was in a few in the US. This was a new experience for me. One was in a particularly impoverished area. The library was tiny but packed with people using the free wifi. After hours the parking lot was full of people using the wifi from their cars. The children's section was absolutely pathetic, like 8ft by 8ft. Interlibrary loans cost money and that even included ordering books from within the county system. You couldn't even return books from the other branches from the system to a different branch. It just seemed like books, except the few that they had, were unavailable to most their patrons. I just couldn't believe it compared to my experiences in Canada. All the libraries we've been to here are much better funded. The branch systems would allow you to drop off books at any branch. ILLs are always free. I guess I hadn't realised how economically stratified the US is compared to Canada.

Ugh, please.

Before moving here we lived in a small town in eastern Canada. The library was the most pathetic excuse ever--tiny, grimy, most of the books dating from 1960 at best (I kid not), kids and adult non fiction mixed together, and topped off with the rudest most unpleasant staff imaginable. My then 5yo son nearly cried when he first saw it.

Let's not do the compare countries thing when clearly experiences are limited.

• Like 3

Libraries in most of the U.S. are funded by municipalities. Membership, collection, and administration is local. In my tiny town with a population under 1000, the children's section is probably 12ft square. There are no branches. But the library director hussles grants to keep the collection up to date. It is clean and freshly painted/carpeted. Ill is free, but the digital collection is small. There are a couple of computers up front, and it is a Wi-Fi hotspot. They are very resourceful with limited resources.

In this rural mountainous area, modern high speed internet is not a guarantee. Before DSL became an option at our home on this interstate highway we often had to sit in the car outside the library to use their hotspot for online classes and such. We still have no cable tv/internet available (even if we wanted it.) Impoverished people where it is physically available may not be able to afford it, or the devices needed to access it.

Thinking about the etymology of the word library, you start with the Latin root liber, which meant either tree bark, a public record, or freedom. One could argue that they were all the same thing: freedom comes through knowledge which was eventually collected in the public record, first on scraps of plant materials like bark, papyrus, and eventually paper manufactured from trees. Ben Franklin, a founder and proponent of the American free library system, believed in the necessity of literacy for the maintenance of freedom in our democracy. But modern knowledge is collected digitally, so digital public access through libraries does make sense.

The play-space focus discussed here is unfortunate. I suppose its only use is to draw in patrons who may not otherwise enter the library in hopes to get them interested in literacy and obtain their support for funding.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

<snip>

The US library systems I belong (or have belonged) to have those things.  We can request books online to be delivered to our "home" library if we don't want to go to a different branch. We can get ILLs for free.  They have classes and programs for adults, teens, and kids. My local branch hold ESL conversation groups, language classes and other events.  I live in a middle-class area.

Of course there are some poor (as in inadequate) libraries in the US.  It's unfortunate, for sure.  

We had a nice little library in a poorer neighborhood near us (near a low-income housing area).  They had programs for kids, a nice collection; it was small but had the same features as the larger libraries.  No one went in it.  I went in a few times - there were a few books in their collection which could not be requested online - and there was never anyone in there but a couple of lonely librarians.  The community didn't support the library. They had to close it.  

Wow, this is one of those threads that reminds me what a privileged little world I live in.

There are 4 libraries close enough to me that I would consider them local. 3 different library "districts" but I can borrow from them all. They all have a large quiet reading room- one has a wall of windows overlooking a natural area, and a fireplace. So peaceful. The kids sections all have lots of learning toys, puzzles, and games. The kids computer section has headphones. Tons of books in the adult and kid sections. Lots of little tables and chairs scattered throughout the entire library. Different sized meeting rooms for all sorts of purposes. Truly, my only complaint with my libraries is that they're not open 24/7. I would love that! I am aware of libraries in towns where I have extended family, that are only open a few days a week. Insane!!

There are two libraries in one of my local systems that have a separate but attached building space for a large, extensive, really cool play space for kids. Being part of the library system means it's free and there are lots of books in addition to all the imaginative and creative toys, but being separated means that it doesn't bother the library patrons at all, and also that children must be accompanied by their parents. I think it was genius to design it like that, because it draws more people to the library than would ordinarily come, and then people actually start to use the library before or after their trip into the special kids building.

I love libraries.

ILL has no fee for the patron, but each member library pays an annual fee, funded from tax or fundraiser. Its amazing to see the demographic difference in the local budget vote. The tax is quite small, but there is a large segment that wants the public library to be shut down, just like public school library. Free wifi does make a difference in the vote...only one other place in town has free wifi, and they don't have computers available.

Ours is very quiet upstairs--the non-fiction area.  I feel like I have to shush my kids if I go up there looking for something, though no one has ever said anything.  The kids area has (play) computers only in a small, locked room.  They have several card-catalog computers, and my boys think they should spend most of their time playing with the keyboards.  I'm not sure what the attraction is there...they can't even read the words on the screen.  Anyway, they do have a small play area with blocks, puzzles, puppets, and other toys.  There's usually a few kids there.  I think it's a nice atmosphere overall, though I wish it were better funded...I have my mom get ILLs for me because they're free at her library and $3-$6 each at mine.

At my mom's library, there are a bunch of computers in the kids' area.  My kids always want to go to the library when we're there...and then they just play on the computers, even the bookworm.  So last time we visited my parents, I didn't take them to the library.  Who goes to the library to play on the computers??  That library is busier than ours, though probably the same size or even a little smaller.  The adult areas are quiet when I've been there.  The kids' play area is a little noisy, probably because there's usually a dozen or more little kids running around, besides the ones glued to the computers.

Edited by caedmyn

This thread makes me sad for many of you and thankful for our library! The kids' room has a train table and a cart with some stuffed animals and puppets, other than that it's filled with books only. There are two computers for looking things up. The kids are expected to be respectful but not silent, but it is certainly not a playground atmosphere. There are many quiet study rooms throughout the library, there are also lots of computers throughout, but I've never seen them used for gaming. That is just a ridiculous idea! It's a LIBRARY! My biggest complaint is that children's non-fiction is mixed in with the adult non-fiction on another floor, so I need to take my kids out of the kids' room to get science and geography books, and then I feel bad when they are louder than they should be.

I go to the same library as I did when I grew up. When I was a kid, they had a big trolley in the children's section. I remember a lot of wildness there, but they are good memories. The play area is a lot more sedate now for my kids. The children's section is on a different floor than the young adult and adult section. I feel like it works.

Our library was just revamped and they added a "Quiet Room" and soundproof study rooms. Those are the only quiet places in the library.

Our little local branch doesn't have separate study rooms, but it's not super loud. There are tutors working with kids, but they tend to sit on the children's side. A few computers, but not many, with headphones so no one else hears them. A closed off room for story time and such, so the noise is contained. Then a glassed in room with computers for teaching adult classes like how to use excel, how to make a resume, etc. Then a few tables on the side with the adult books that are usually quiet with no one talking. 

The big main library downtown is huge, and does have glassed in study rooms you can sign up for. They tend to be used by the people that are louder, like study groups, so the noise from them talking is contained. Then the regular tables scattered around are taken by people reading or studying silently. The children's room is on the first floor and louder, but not super loud, and with 4 floors there are plenty of options. The only "complaint" I hear is that the homeless tend to congregate at the library. Personally, I don't mind it at all. All the ones I've seen are sitting quietly at tables reading books. Heck, they are the best behaved patrons there I think! MY complaint is that they took out the small cafe/coffee shop that was on the first floor. It was very cute and sold tea, coffee, sodas, and baked goods/sandwhiches. 

I wrote some of my novels there and had no problem with noise. The local small branch was too distracting though, from the tutors and students working. 

The one library near us is large. The children's room is downstairs. Okay, fine. But you can't actually check the books out down there. You have to take them upstairs and stand in line in the quiet adult section of the library, near the automatic doors. It's really not a kid-friendly setup at all. In addition, the teen section is upstairs, which is okay enough, but they're really unhappy about children being downstairs unattended, which means I can't browse the teen shelves for ideas. In addition, the children's room is half books and half other stuff. Many computers with kid-tainment, front and center. I appreciate the dollhouse, Duplo table, trains, trucks, play kitchen, etc., but my littles are definitely distracted by all the toys and are not as interested in books. Otoh, they do have two family bathrooms with changing tables right in the children's room, so that's a plus. If I want that library's selection, I usually order stuff to be sent to the small branch closer to my house.

My county's system has a nice branch close to me (well, 15 minutes, but that's close for me). Their setup is really good; they recently redid it and did an excellent job, IMO. On one side is the adult section, with a teen area. There are tables there, plus a couple of meeting rooms plus a reading atrium. It's pretty quiet over that way, enough that you could probably study. In the Middle are the checkouts and the computers. On the other side is the children's wing. You walk through the children's book area to get to the play area. I like that because it encourages my children to pick out books. The play area is a separate, glassed-in room with an open door. It has a bunch of pretend play/educational toys. Nothing really big or glitzy, but a pretty substantial collection: blocks with interesting shapes, puzzles, other manipulative-type toys, some pretend play stuff. Good solid sorts of open-ended toys. Someone put a lot of thought into it. There is also a table where they often have some small kid tablets, or an educational puzzle sort of thing. Last week it was photos of bridges and building materials to invite children to try building bridges. I do check on my littles when they're over there, but I feel totally okay with them looking at books or playing while I browse other areas. Normal play noise is okay. That library seems to love the children, and they've managed to strike a good balance between books, technology, and community.

I love our library!

The children section is in a separate room but the doors are open. The children section has LOTS of books with the picture books for easy access for littles. There are also computers with no internet access but learning games and a few computers with internet access(with filters) and a few games.

There is also a train table, puppets, kitchen play area and several various reading nooks.

Yes sometimes this area gets a little loud but I also watch kids leaving with tons of books.

There is a separate small teen section with cool comfy chairs and their books.

The adult section has lots of hidden away tables and comfortable couches and chair. And a nice garden out back with tables & chair.

Computers or free WiFi is available.

There is a resource room for teachers and all kinds of classes being offered. (from young to senior citizens)

Most of the librarians are helpful and happy. And most days the main part of the library is quiet and peaceful. If the children section of anyone gets to loud the librarians will tell them to quieten down.

The library I grew up in didn't have activities or separate rooms and you better not make a peep while in there.

Yes there are some kids who go to the library and never look at a book but most leave with books.

Our town doesn't have much for people to do. I am glad our library offers so much.

• Like 3

A lot of the audio books have changed to a digital format instead of cds. You access them the same way you access other ebooks, but download the audio instead of text. It really frustrates me when I'm looking for ebooks but the ones I want are only available as audio books.

I normally run into the other issue -- I'm looking for an audiobook to listen to and the books are only available as ebooks

• Like 1

That's not a US vs Canada thing. It has to do with the library system you were in.

Every system I've been in, you could return books to any branch in the library.  Requesting books from other branches in the system to be delivered to your local library was free (though in Austin, you had to pay if you did not pick up the book afterward).  Sometimes ILL requests outside of the system do cost money.

• Like 3

Ugh, please.

Before moving here we lived in a small town in eastern Canada. The library was the most pathetic excuse ever--tiny, grimy, most of the books dating from 1960 at best (I kid not), kids and adult non fiction mixed together, and topped off with the rudest most unpleasant staff imaginable. My then 5yo son nearly cried when he first saw it.

Let's not do the compare countries thing when clearly experiences are limited.

That's not a US vs Canada thing. It has to do with the library system you were in.

Every system I've been in, you could return books to any branch in the library.  Requesting books from other branches in the system to be delivered to your local library was free (though in Austin, you had to pay if you did not pick up the book afterward).  Sometimes ILL requests outside of the system do cost money.

I think that a few of you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to paint the US as pathetic. I was actually surprised more by the very broad difference between the poor library I visited with the pictures that so many of you were painting of your experiences. I've been to probably 30 different libraries in Canada, in poor and rich areas, and haven't seen that disparity. I'm sure that there are poor libraries here to but I just haven't seen it. I suspect it's more our socialism at work then anything else. The 50% income tax bracket that someone making 100k per year here probably makes it more possible to "spread the wealth". I'm not even saying  that I see one way as better than the other. It's just what it is.

• Like 2

Our library has areas like that too and has an actual cafe. My children know that when we go to the library, they aren't allowed to play on the computers and we are there for books. Fortunately, the children's area is separated from other areas of the library. There is also a senior reading room that is reserved for older adults who want a quiet space.

ETA: I should add that our library is fairly new. They surveyed the community and tried to add as many requested features as possible. We have family restrooms in the children's area, children's room craft area, glass enclosed preschool/story time room, teen section, many display areas, computer banks in an out of the way space, cafe, senior room, meeting rooms of various sizes, quiet study areas, and new book section.

Edited by mom2scouts

My children know that when we go to the library, they aren't allowed to play on the computers and we are there for books. Fortunately, the children's area is separated from other areas of the library. There is also a senior reading room that is reserved for older adults who want a quiet space.

Pretty much this. Yes, the computers are  a draw. But I just tell them no and redirect to other things. They get plenty of computer time at home. We leave the computers for those who do not have the access at home.  There are banks along the edges in the children's area, but once my kids realize it is not a choice, they do sit down and read books and are able to ignore them at least for a time.

• Like 1

My library also has a child sized train in the children's room that separates the picture books from the books for older children. The train cars have benches and I often see kids sitting in the train cars reading books or having someone read to them. I love it because it's fun for children, but encourages reading.

• Like 1

I have no idea what our local library is like these days. I haven't been in it in 11 years. They never have had a decent collection of the classics nor much funding for buying books, their periodical section is quite limited, etc. The librarians are all part time and not particularly interested in helping you borrow from the state library so I've always had to purchase books. Always.

From the advertisements, I'd say they are pretty senior citizen oriented. They have s.c. movie night, s.c. outings, s.c. special speakers, s.c. book club, s.c. quilt club, s.c...... you name it. I have seen an ad for a preschooler story time, but not much else. I have never heard anyone say that they have taken their kids there to play, but then again, my days of running in the moms of tots, pre-schoolers, early elementary aged kids has come and gone.

Now I am curious!

I have no idea what our local library is like these days. I haven't been in it in 11 years. They never have had a decent collection of the classics nor much funding for buying books, their periodical section is quite limited, etc. The librarians are all part time and not particularly interested in helping you borrow from the state library so I've always had to purchase books. Always.

From the advertisements, I'd say they are pretty senior citizen oriented. They have s.c. movie night, s.c. outings, s.c. special speakers, s.c. book club, s.c. quilt club, s.c...... you name it. I have seen an ad for a preschooler story time, but not much else. I have never heard anyone say that they have taken their kids there to play, but then again, my days of running in the moms of tots, pre-schoolers, early elementary aged kids has come and gone.

Now I am curious!

I urge you to find out! Our local library has events for all ages. They started off the summer with an awesome Maker Day. Had a bunch of activities -- some to look at but others to do. Both of my kids came home (My parents took them) with cup cozies they made on a sewing machine there.  They also got to see a robot work and mess with the 3D printer the library has and some other activities I don't remember.

Another day they had a Science hands-on exhibit that came from the local community college.  They have Storytimes of all different shapes and sizes -- Baby, Family, Bilingual, and Sensory.  They have monthly Family Craft Nights.  Every three months or so they host a Game Day where they invite people to come and play the games they have (and you can always check out one of the games to play in the building anytime they have a free room to play in)

An Adult Coloring club meets there, as well as a quilting group. And a Knitting group. And a Mystery Book Club.

SOme of the recent Teen activities (in the last 3 weeks): Teen advisory group to the library, Raspberry Pi, Make a sparkling fairy light, Lunch Brunch (eat lunch and talk books), Manga Drawing Workshop, Fandom Debates

For Tweens: Sugar Cookie Decorating, Summer Book Club (Diary of a Wimpy Kid this month), Hour of Code, Tween Typing, DIY emoji Magnets, Decorate a Tote Bag

There have also been movies shown in the last month at the library for all age groups

There have been two music shows at the library in the last month.

• Like 1

Tha t would be sad. I, for one, am happy that libraries are no longer intimidating spaces for children, but they go too far if they do not have quiet areas as well. Our library has a children's section that is not roudy, but is not like the "pin-drop" quiet that I remember. The adult section is pretty quiet. Plus we have some study rooms that you can reserve. They can be for group meetings or quiet individual study. I do get annoyed that tutors can use some of the areas for free, despite charging g upwards of $40/hour. Yet another group wanted to use library space and they would have had to pay $75 for the room, despite no commerce taking place.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is actually why many tutoring programs use the library :)

Yes, our library is full of tutors.  But it is an open area, everyone is visible, as they should be. Not behind closed doors, though some people did say that the doors and walls are glass, which solves the visibility issue.  

I'm really in the mood to go to the library right now.

And paid tutors are not allowed to rent library study rooms without forking out a hiring fee. Which cuts down on that particular usage. 

The tutoring programs I'm thinking of are sponsored by the local college. They supply free tutors to local public school students. The students meet them at the library on a set schedule. The library is actually one of the sponsors of the programs & sets aside the space for them. The tutors don't pay to use the space because the students aren't paying for the tutoring. The tutors are getting community service hours though........... I think it's a win-win.

• Like 2

I think that a few of you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to paint the US as pathetic. I was actually surprised more by the very broad difference between the poor library I visited with the pictures that so many of you were painting of your experiences. I've been to probably 30 different libraries in Canada, in poor and rich areas, and haven't seen that disparity. I'm sure that there are poor libraries here to but I just haven't seen it. I suspect it's more our socialism at work then anything else. The 50% income tax bracket that someone making 100k per year here probably makes it more possible to "spread the wealth". I'm not even saying that I see one way as better than the other. It's just what it is.

Except it isn't that way. That's what I've seen.

Yes, our library is full of tutors.  But it is an open area, everyone is visible, as they should be. Not behind closed doors, though some people did say that the doors and walls are glass, which solves the visibility issue.  

I'm really in the mood to go to the library right now.

I agree they need to be visible. Glass doors or open space. I meant they use the library because of the space, not because of closed doors........

• Like 1

Our kiddy sections are basically play rooms with books, but there are other areas that are quieter.  You can still hear if some kid is having a screaming fit, but hopefully most of us can block that out.  

Ours is like this, and it offers private rooms as well.

Ours is a new building that is pretty open, so I am wondering if they have a white noise system. Maybe yours could do something with white noise if the style of building would allow for it to work. (My hometown library is the sort of space where you can hear someone whisper all the way across the building, lol! Not sure white noise would make a difference.)

Best thing about my library is they deliver!

Worst thing is that the fines are high, and there is NO leeway, no compromise, no amnesty day or whatever. I end up paying a few hundred dollars in fees a year. Max fine is $15 a book, and if you have a dozen books out that hurts. 

And yes, I know it's my fault and I should return them...I know. I do worry about lower income folks who have limited transportation to get to the library, etc and how those high fines probably keep some of them from utilizing the library though. 

Worst thing is that the fines are high, and there is NO leeway, no compromise, no amnesty day or whatever. I end up paying a few hundred dollars in fees a year. Max fine is $15 a book, and if you have a dozen books out that hurts. 

And yes, I know it's my fault and I should return them...I know. I do worry about lower income folks who have limited transportation to get to the library, etc and how those high fines probably keep some of them from utilizing the library though. 

My library doesn't deliver, but the best thing about them is that there re NO fines.  Ever.  No matter how long I'm overdue.  Once I lost a book, paid for it, and found it later - they refunded what I paid!!   I totally couldn't handle a draconian library....

And ILL is free (and I can return to my own library) and if the other library charges a fine for overdue, they cancel it!

Edited by Matryoshka

My library doesn't deliver, but the best thing about them is that there re NO fines.  Ever.  No matter how long I'm overdue.  Once I lost a book, paid for it, and found it later - they refunded what I paid!!   I totally couldn't handle a draconian library....

And ILL is free (and I can return to my own library) and if the other library charges a fine for overdue, they cancel it!

oh wow!!! Where do you live???? I need this library, lol!!!!

Or I need a netflix but for books...I pay a monthly reasonable fee and then I don't get late fees. I'd take that. 

I've often wondered why the deliver but not pick up. You know, like the milkman, you could put out the return books in a basket where they leave the new batch of books.

But I long ago came to the conclusion that the late fees probably cover the cost of delivery, so the library is not going to help reduce that income!