Menu

What's for dinner?

theelfqueen

Spam & rice.

Don't judge me.

(This is what DD calls her "favorite meat and rice" --which boggles the mind-- but is basically diced spam pan-fried with soy sauce and served over rice. We eat it once a month or so.)

Americans seem to be horrified by Spam, but it's a legitimate food in much of the world. I â¤ï¸ Spam.

• Like 2

I tried a new recipe for baby back ribs that my mom sent me.  It was delish!  Served it with roasted okra and cole slaw, but I think I must have forgotten an ingredient on my cole slaw dressing because it came out kind of bland.  Luckily the ribs more than made up for it.   ;)

Americans seem to be horrified by Spam, but it's a legitimate food in much of the world. I â¤ï¸ Spam.

It's funny, Americans do act really horrified by it, and yet there it is, on the shelf of every single grocery store I've ever been in.  So somebody must be buying it!  (And then pretending later that they'd never eat such a thing?)

I vaguely remember liking it as a kid, but I don't think of it because I don't know what to do with it or how to prepare it.  Maybe I should try what alisoncooks suggested!

• Like 1

It's funny, Americans do act really horrified by it, and yet there it is, on the shelf of every single grocery store I've ever been in. So somebody must be buying it! (And then pretending later that they'd never eat such a thing?)

I vaguely remember liking it as a kid, but I don't think of it because I don't know what to do with it or how to prepare it. Maybe I should try what alisoncooks suggested!

I love Spam in so many different ways but rarely eat it. It is divine in Korean kimchi stew. I dream about it and salivate, but I'm a good girl and restrain myself. When I push my cart at Costco, I find myself slowing down in front of the six pack of Spam and try to rationalize reasons for buying so much of it. Alas, I cannot.

• Like 1

I love Spam in so many different ways but rarely eat it. It is divine in Korean kimchi stew. I dream about it and salivate, but I'm a good girl and restrain myself. When I push my cart at Costco, I find myself slowing down in front of the six pack of Spam and try to rationalize reasons for buying so much of it. Alas, I cannot.

I've never had kimchi stew (though I have had kimchi).  I'd like to try it!

I've thought about buying it a few times occasionally but then realized it's significatly more per pound than Costco's fresh spiral ham. If it was cheap, I'd probably get it a few times a year for the novelty.

Last night we ate at Cook Out (fast food). FIL's decision.  It's the second time we've been there.  It's now become my least favorite place to eat fast food (sigh).  I have no idea why it's so popular TBH.  The flavors are awful.   Hubby and I tried multiple things between the two times - burgers, dogs, chicken, BBQ, fries, onion rings, hush puppies, milkshakes, etc.  The place is just not us.  It seems to want to compete with Steak and Shake.  I wish a Steak and Shake were nearby!  Or that he'd pick pretty much anywhere else!

Time will tell what tonight is.  They eat out pretty much all the time.

I'd have loved Spam... or pretty much anything else on this thread - except sushi.

Last night was to be a family favorite, but after a long day it didn't happen.  It'll be tonight, though: turkey, fresh mozzarella, and pesto panini served with a hearty tomato-basil soup. Light enough for spring, but sits well enough all night.

Earlier this week we had:
Roast chicken and root vegetables served with a cream-based chicken sauce

Indoor bbq- baked beans w/smoked sausage, corn on the cob, watermelon, and homemade drop biscuits.

Last night we ate at Cook Out (fast food). FIL's decision. It's the second time we've been there. It's now become my least favorite place to eat fast food (sigh). I have no idea why it's so popular TBH. The flavors are awful. Hubby and I tried multiple things between the two times - burgers, dogs, chicken, BBQ, fries, onion rings, hush puppies, milkshakes, etc. The place is just not us. It seems to want to compete with Steak and Shake. I wish a Steak and Shake were nearby! Or that he'd pick pretty much anywhere else!

Time will tell what tonight is. They eat out pretty much all the time.

I'd have loved Spam... or pretty much anything else on this thread - except sushi.

Hush puppies and cheer wine floats. Mmmmmm.

Last time we ate there, my stomach hurt for hours. I think I am getting too old for that much grease.

Edited by Zinnia

Hush puppies and cheer wine floats. Mmmmmm.

Last time we ate there, my stomach hurt for hours. I think I am getting too old for that much grease.

I figure some folks need to like them.  We just enjoy different flavors and textures.  I really like my milkshakes able to be consumed with a straw - not the same texture and flavor as the ice milk desserts at many buffet chains like Ryans or Golden Corral.  If I have to eat a milkshake with a spoon - even at the end of my meal - it's not a milkshake.

FWIW, the absolute best hush puppies I've ever had have been at Bill's BBQ in Wilson, NC.  There's not even a close second anywhere.  Unfortunately, we're not in (or close to) Wilson.

http://www.bills-bbq.com/

For fast food milkshakes, Chick Fil A wins, with Arby's Jamocha shake a close second.  Steak and Shake beats both though.

All for our tastes, of course.  YMMV (and it's ok! ;)  it's just not us! )

• Like 1

Kids and I will eat a quick dinner before scouts - quesadillas, most likely. 

Dh is on his own with his fun money and whatever is in the fridge.

Friday night needs to be easy because we have church at 5:30. No ideas here.

Pulled pork on Saturday and eating out Sunday lunch/Easter brunch.

FWIW, the absolute best hush puppies I've ever had have been at Bill's BBQ in Wilson, NC. There's not even a close second anywhere. Unfortunately, we're not in (or close to) Wilson.

http://www.bills-bbq.com/

Slight topic derail: Bill Ellis passed away earlier this year, and I read a little bio about him in the paper. He dropped out of school in 8th grade to help support his family, yet he went on to open such a successful business. I thought it was such a testament to hard work and determination.

(Sorry about the tangent...DH and I lived in Wilson as newlyweds and ate there often.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

Slight topic derail: Bill Ellis passed away earlier this year, and I read a little bio about him in the paper. He dropped out of school in 8th grade to help support his family, yet he went on to open such a successful business. I thought it was such a testament to hard work and determination.

(Sorry about the tangent...DH and I lived in Wilson as newlyweds and ate there often.)

Yes, that was a sad (nostalgic) day in hubby's life.  He knew them fairly well - one of Bill's sons was a classmate.  

We eat there every time we're even remotely in the area (will drive out of our way if within 2-3 hours).  Then we get some BBQ to go so we have a stockpile in our freezer until our next trip.  Hushpuppies won't keep, so we can only eat them when there.

• Like 2

We live in an area that doesn't serve hush puppies except with fish fries. But we loved NC bbq when we lived there. I think that's why I get excited about seeing them....even subpar ones. ;)

Likewise with Cheerwine....it's a vacation treat, so to find it on a menu is super exciting.

• Like 1