Menu

For those winter nights: your favorite inexpensive wines...GO!

Laurie4b

We only can drink every once in a while due to health issues, so it's hard for me to keep up. I would love to have a handy list of tasty white wines and tasty red wines that are inexpensive. (No more than $20 per bottle; hopefully less.) Then when they go on sale, I can buy a few and stock up. I know that I like Merlot for reds. Not sure what other reds I like. Not sure about whites. 

Pretty much all the wines we drink fall into that price point!

Bogle Vineyards have some good inexpensive wines. For red we like their Merlot and Essential Red (a red blend).

For white we like a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. That is more of a summertime wine.

• Like 2

If you don't mind wine in a box, I really like Franzia Chardonnay. It is supposed to stay fresh for 6 weeks after opening, but my box never lasts that long.  :blush:

Other inexpensive wines you might try:

Reds: Rex-Goliath Merlot, Livingston Merlot, Lucky Duck Malbec, Riunite Lambrusco, Three Wishes Merlot, Winking Owl wines (Aldi's)

Whites: Gallo Family Twin Valley Chardonnay, Oak Leaf Vineyards Pink Zinfandel (Walmart), Andre Spumante (sparkling wine), Winking Owl wines (Aldi's)

Obviously I am not a wine snob.  :laugh:

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Because of the transport laws, some wines are available only in certain parts of the country.  These are the "table wines" we use.  We do splurge on a good bottle (and yes you can tell the difference) on special occasions or even just once in awhile...but these are the go-to's:

Sweet white:  Washington Hills Late Harvest riesling.  Also Hogue Cellars, Snohomish Winery and Silverlake.  

Dry white:  Josh, Chateau St. Jean, Waterbrook chardonnays are the go-to's.  There are a couple of pinot gris' but I can't remember the exact names.

Red:  14 Hands, St. Michelle Winery Indian Hills merlots.  

And we do drink the Three Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's as well, and are perfectly happy with their offerings for what they are.  

Those are the go-tos.  My dh and I seek diligently to stay in the $10 or under range.  A couple of these go over that but only by a couple of bucks, and most of them are in the $8-10 range.  

NOTE:  I don't know if you have gluten sensitivity, but if so, do not drink boxed wines.  They are processed using filters that contain gluten and that gets imparted to the wine.  Those with wheat allergy might not notice it but celiacs do.

:0)

Cheers!  :::lifts glass::: (later)

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon is my recent surprise find.  It's only $8 a bottle at Costco ($12 at regular grocery) and is incredibley smooth, fruity and delightful.  I generally find cabs to be too oakey and harsh, but this wine is lovely.

I have no problems drinking boxed wine though, and that's generally my go-to because I am the lone wine drinker in the house, and only enjoy a glass or two a week.  With it being winter, I've been mulling my red wine and it's been delightful.  I recently discovered that a box of Franzia Fruity Red Sangria makes fabulous mulled wine!  I warm it stove-top with a handful of mulling spices, pinch of brown sugar and add some fruit if I have it.  Don't let it boil- simply strain and enjoy.   In the summer I like the Sangria over ice. 

For a white in a box, I really like Hardy's Riesling.  It's a little more expensive than a cheap white, but it has great flavor and I have no trouble finishing a box.  Hardy's used to make a Shiraz-Grenache blend that was the best blush wine- the perfect blend of tart and sweet. Sadly, they don't make it anymore, but I have enjoyed all of their wines that I've tried.

• Like 1

I think the Russians got it right - vodka is best for cold winter nights (or days). For milder winters, mulled wine isn't bad, Baileys in coffee or Irish coffee is even better.

I just have this feeling the OP is in a warmer climate than I am. Wine to me is a 3 season drink. 

• Like 2

I've wanted to enjoy wine for years but just haven't been able to stomach them.  Just don't like the alcohol taste; this is true of beer, too.  I give it a go every once in awhile but rarely, rarely finish a whole glass and usually stop after 1-2 sips.  Sometimes I can find a sweet-ish wine that I do okay with (for example, the Barefoot Moscato listed above) but still rarely finish a glass.  

Recently we had the Roscato Rosso Dolce (a red) at Olive Garden. Not only did I like it, but so did everyone at the table who tried it. Usually when I tentatively like a wine, it's because it's sweet but this one isn't overly sweet; I rarely like a red wine because they seem to be stronger.  My husband liked the Roscato and he usually thinks "my" wines are too sweet.  It's alcohol content is a little bit lower and it's not a bubbly wine but does have a very, very slight tingle.  I wasn't going to continue paying the $26/bottle we paid at the restaurant so I googled it and found that it's well-liked by many and is known as "the Olive Garden wine." World Market carries it for $10-$14 per bottle and I also found it at wine.com (lowest shipping from my research). 

Anyway, thought it worth a mention! 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 3

My current favorite is El Portal Barrel Select. It came with a wine club box, and - yum. It's a red blend.

Next would be a toscana, I'll have to find the specifics.

Cline Ancient Vines Zinfandel is nice, too, I've only recently gotten into zins.

Those are mine. DH is the wine guy here, so mostly I listen to him and taste what he suggests.

If you have a Wegman's, talk to the people in the wine area - they are awesome!

Oh! For a quick pick it up at Target wine - I like the Ménage Midnight, too.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I'm jealous of everyone who can get wine at Trader Joe's.

Have you given any thought to saki? Plain saki can be warmed up. DH drinks plain, but I like the fruity ones. I recently discovered a green apple saki by Hana and it's my new favorite thing. I also like plum and cherry saki. Just make sure it says "saki." If it just says "plum wine" it's crazy sweet. They keep them together and TWICE I've brought home plum wine when I wanted plum saki. Saki is also more forgiving for those of us who don't finish a bottle in a night. It's still good for days, even weeks after you open it. It's kind of just taste it and see if you still like it. If yes, it's drinkable. If no, warm it up and taste again.

• Like 2

Chateau St Michelle Sauvignon Blanc

Frontera Malbec

Mondavi has a line that is between their "regular" wines and Woodbridge.  Coastal?  We don't happen to have any right now.   Anyway, Mondavi is a reliable name in my experience, though the Woodbridge I don't think is all that great. 

Ravenswood wines are usually below $20, I think.  I rarely will spend more than $15 unless it's for a very special occasion.   We like their Zinfandel in particular

Malbec is my new favorite red wine for general drinking.  By that I mean, not matching up with a meal.  I haven't tried it mulled (heated, spiced) yet but plan to this weekend.  

Do you have a locally owned wine shop that does a free or minimal cost tasting? My local wine store does a Friday night tasting of five wines, free to those who buy a bottle or five bucks otherwise. This gives customers a chance to sample things that may be unfamiliar. And it is fun!

We have found so many good wines this way!

Do you have a locally owned wine shop that does a free or minimal cost tasting? My local wine store does a Friday night tasting of five wines, free to those who buy a bottle or five bucks otherwise. This gives customers a chance to sample things that may be unfamiliar. And it is fun!

• Like 1