Menu

nostalgia foods--what foods do you remember as yummy but are gross now?

solascriptura

Margarine. I grew up on the stuff and the first time I tried butter I didn't like it. But I eventually switched and I've been using butter for decades now. The last time I tried margarine it was too salty and ... I dunno, greasy?

There's not much else, I guess. I grew up on Spam but don't eat it anymore. Except that when we went to Hawaii this summer I had a Spam musubi and I still liked it.

• Like 1

I still like Spaghettios, although most times I make a "homemade" version from a kids cookbook I got years ago.  I used to eat the canned Chef Boyardee Spaghetti straight from the can in college....but I can't do that now.  It's too mushy.

A lot of foods taste way too sweet to me now....Lucky Charms, Rice Krispie treats, etc.  Although I'll eat a small bit if offered some. 

• Like 2

Vienna sausages (the kind in a little can)! I used to love those nasty things in my lunch in middle school.

SpaghettiOs. I was never a huge fan, but liked them OK. Now I refuse to eat anything pretending to be pasta out of a can. Yuck.

• Like 2

Those little bottles of juice they used to sell at the front of the grocery store. They were 90% sugar and 10% burning dye flavor. But they were a treat!

Oh and Hungry Man frozen dinners. Blech.

Cocoa Puffs.

We used to get one box of junk cereal a year (per kid, we all chose our own and no one was allowed to touch anyone else's), always in summertime. The memory is of late mornings, endless lazy summer days, and my brother eating his entire cherished box of Lucky Charms in one fell swoop, every. Single.year. :)

• Like 8

Frozen chicken pot pies. I used to love those as a kid, but last time I tried one I thought it was pretty lousy.

I'm going to have to say I love Marie Calendar's chicken pot pies. They're still yummy to me. :)

Canned spaghetti and related products

Cheeze Whiz

There are some others I liked and still feel affectionate toward, though I rarely buy them or make them.  Cream of mushroom soup made into pork chop sauce, Lipton chicken noodle soup, and canned ham sandwiches with little pickles cut up.  Also fried bologna with kraft dinner.  I recognize these all as slightly gross and unhealthy but they create considerable nostalgia when I occasionally have them.

Oh those are decent.  I'm talking about the cheap small ones.

Oh yeah, like Swanson or whoever that was. The blue box. Agreed- definitely a thing best left in the 80's for me. But thanks to your post I'm sitting here eating a Marie Calendar's chicken pot pie right now. :d

Just made homemade rice crispy treats. I made the weekly or twice a week as a kid. Gag! Oh, little Debbie cakes, Beef a roni, Spaghetti Os, the list can go on. I should stop trying them again so the fond memories remain. :p

Cheetos! I hadn't had them in years, possibly a couple of decades. We went with friends to the beach this summer and they brought a big bag of cheetos. I was so excited until I ate them. Not only did they taste gross, they made my stomach hurt after. So sad. 

I still love this!  Funny story..I took a boyfriend to my Grandparents house to pick up something and they said well we are just having cornbread and milk for supper but why don't y'all stay.  This boyfriend was from California.  He had no idea the cornbread was going IN the milk.   LOL  He ate it without a word.  

Cornbread and buttermilk

• Like 5

spaghetti sandwiches  -  My parents showed us how to put spaghetti (made with ground beef) on bread and eat it like a sandwich.

Was it just the sauce--like sloppy joes--or noodles too?

My mom talked of eating sardine sandwiches and pork-n-bean sandwiches when she was growing up but that wasn't something we ever ate as kids.

• Like 1