Menu

14yo boy hates art but needs art credit. Ideas?

Harriet Vane

Generally, arts credit includes performing arts as well as fine arts. Does he hate music, theater, and dance as well?

Also, there is art history, art appreciation...a class on how to be an intelligent consumer of art, rather than artist.

• Like 3

Filmmaking?

Iguana Art Academy has a class that I think can be used for credit. It's $30 with promo code create-for-30 instead of $120. They offer Essentials in Drawing, too, but that doesn't sound good for an art hater.

If it doesn't need to be a class, how about studying some installation art and doing a big project incorporating whatever he loves? Here that usually invokes a Rube Goldberg machine that takes over a garage. Or trash art - environmentally friendly, document your journey of cleaning up an area then up cycling some materials.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

My DS hates all art - fine art, performing art, art history.  But....he took an interest in glass blowing and likes woodworking and blacksmithing.  We don't have an art requirement in our state, but maybe one of those would work for you?  Also, DS will usually tolerate plays and shows, so maybe attend community theater, a performance of the Nutcracker at Christmas, and a symphony, and then combine those activities into a fine arts credit?

Survey of Art - a little of this and a little of that.

6 weeks of music, 6 weeks of drama, 6 weeks of painting, etc. Study some of the history, listening to music, going to an art gallery, etc. No actual "doing" required (ie - no playing an instrument, no painting, etc.), just becoming aware of the art all around is.

Maybe the library has some classes?  When I was thinking about an art credit for ds (we wound up not needing one), he was creating costumes out of cardboard using patterns he found online.  They were pretty intricate and I would have given him partial credit for them.  Then, I was going to add a "Great courses" video course that was rated interesting along with an artistic pursuits book on 3D art creations.  

"Art appreciation' can be a mashup of a lot of things. Maybe some art history- do you have an art museum or special architectural sites nearby?  Film appreciation- watching and reviewing some classics.  Theater- he can go to some local performances of dance, concert, symphony, musical, etc.   

• Like 1

Seconding Photoshop--or something like it. Ds1 is not an art lover but was lucky enough to take Photoshop the semester his (small, private) school offered it. Unfortunately there wasn't enough interest for the school to offer it a second semester. But--fortunately for ds1--the school groups art (fine art, drama, music) with Technology (computer science, web design, robotics) and third year of foreign language for credit purposes with a requirement of 2 credits from among those offerings. (He made up his remaining credits with a semester of Flash Animation and AP Computer Science.)

Anyway, the Photoshop class was perfect for him as it was some photography, some design, but mostly learning how to use Photoshop. I think he had 4 projects for the semester.

There are some great ideas in this thread! 

He could make a list of things that sound intriguing, and do a rotation of them. Start with low cost and low time commitment, and they can add to it if he gets more into it. This would work for either a survey of art or art techniques, with of course a survey being cheaper. I know our library has tons of books that could be utilized for some of the less common ideas (woodworking, glass blowing, etc). 

• Like 1