Menu

I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a dress...

SparklyUnicorn

I wear dresses and skirts much more in the summer. But I prefer skirts of a couple of specific styles, so that limits me some.

Also I am a perpetually cold person. Seriously COLD all the darned time. I keep a sweatshirt in my scrapbooking room, in the basement, in summer. So, in the winter and "Shoulder seasons" I only wear skirts/dresses to church and sometimes dressy functions...and usually with tights and boots.

Lots of dresses here. I am in the PNW. I wear them frequently.

Around here, everyday dresses tend to be casual/athletic style dresses, usually worn with leggings in winter and cute comfy sandals in summer. I find great casual-stylish dresses at places like Columbia and REI. It's like wearing comfy pj's without looking like it, and I can go hiking in them if I wish. :D

• Like 2

I love dresses, although I don't wear them as often as I would like. I only have one nursing dress, so I'll wear skirts more for the next two years or however long Baby Boy decides to nurse. I had an incredibly soft cotton jersey maternity dress that was like wearing pjs, but looking way more put together.

I rarely see anyone in a dress, ever.  I guess the most common (if you can call it that) are sundresses during the summer.  My SIL is one of those women who used to dress up all time.  I mean really dress up, and really all the time.  For the first decade or so I don't think I ever saw her in anything but a dress.  And now I can't remember the last time I saw her wearing one.

I see pants and dresses all over the place. Especially now that the warmer weather is arriving.

For myself, I rarely wear dresses. What I find fascinating is the increase of pants in cocktail wear. I never feel like pants, no matter how nice, are dressy enough.

You just don't live in the Deep South, where dresses and makeup and styled hair are still done by the Garden Club, the Women's Clubs, the HeartBoard, Spring Steeplechase, etc. At church, both older women and teen girls often wear dresses (very different styles). I even own a couple dresses for stuff I get invited to.

• Like 1

I rarely wear dresses (last time would have been oldest's wedding two years ago), but I still see them around.  Some teachers choose to wear them to school relatively often.  (Sometimes they wear skirts too.)  When student sports teams are playing the players dress up that day in school.  Some of the gals wear dresses or skirts.

I don't think they're the majority choice in any regular situation I'm in, but I still see them around.

I see dresses all the time.  There are lots of cute young women (college age into 30s) in my life who wear cute dresses.   I am too apple-shaped to find nice dresses that look good on me though.  I wear skirts and t-shirts all summer, though. 

Edited by marbel

You just don't live in the Deep South, where dresses and makeup and styled hair are still done by the Garden Club, the Women's Clubs, the HeartBoard, Spring Steeplechase, etc. At church, both older women and teen girls often wear dresses (very different styles). I even own a couple dresses for stuff I get invited to.

That's true.  I don't. 

Of the nine people at the last Well Trained Meetup that we had in the summer, 7 of them wore dresses or skirts. Of the two who didn't, one was a man and one was Creekland, who has already said above that she does not wear dresses.

I thought it was odd. I had only started wearing skirts that year and was surprised that so many others of us showed up in a skirt/dress. We were all from the Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania area.

I'd repost the picture but sometimes people are don't want their pictures posted when they aren't expecting it (though everyone did say I could post it directly after the meetup). We had a thread about that a while ago. The dresses/skirts were very casual.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

My 18 year old dd wore a very casual dress yesterday while we were out tourist-ing around Williamsburg,VA. There were lots of people in period costume dresses there! One adorable little girl about 5 years old in the sweetest blue colonial dress and hat!!!

My girls wear dresses to school occasionally. We all wear a dresses to church. When we lived in Hawaii, I wore dresses or skirts all the time - shorts look silly on me, and dresses are so cool and breezy!

I'm wearing one right now with leggings.  

However, I don't see them in my normal every-day places like the grocery store, or the library.  I do see them a lot at church and at college.  We also have a large population of international students at college, so I also get to see some beautiful dresses from different cultures.  I also work in the office of the President and VP of the college, and you are expected to dress up a little.  I see a lot of dresses in the office.

They aren't wearing them much around here right now because it is still cold. In my area, practicality reigns. Easter Sunday there will be some women who venture out in dresses, but since it is so early, there will be far fewer than when Easter is later.

I don't wear them because I have a hard time finding ones in which the bodice fits me right. I have wide hips, pear shape, but small bust and narrow shoulders. I need two sizes smaller in the bodice than I do on the bottom, and dresses simply aren't made that way. I have exactly three dresses in my closet that I've kept over the years in case I need one. But it is far more likely that if I dress up, I wear a lovely skirt, and a pretty shell with a dressy shrug, cardigan, or jacket. I have heard from numerous friends that they have had a very hard time finding dresses that fit them in the past few years. They love the vintage styles, some of the 40's and 50's looks that came out, but have the same deal where they could put two people in the top of the dress while it just fits on the bottom. Most of my friends and I are not tall, nor long waisted so I think that right now clothing designers are ignoring this body type.

In the work place, dh says he never sees dresses nor skirts. The women he works with in IT wear pantsuits with professional style blouses. Very fitted, very professional, but not distinctly feminine. No heels. Flat black shoes is the norm. Practicality rules.

Sigh...dh wants me to get a dress for our anniversary. The whole thought of dress shopping makes me want to gag. I went dress shopping last August because I needed something different than what I had in my closet for a wedding I was coordinating. It was exhausting and discouraging. I managed to find something that wasn't awful, and nice accessories to match. I have a feeling that this will be what I pull out for our anniversary dinner because I'd rather stay home and eat McDonald's ( :ack2: ) than go dress shopping again. The only thing worse in the whole world is possibly swimsuit shopping. I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon than go swimsuit shopping.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have a hard time finding dresses that don't look stupid on me so I gave up years ago.  I really don't enjoy wearing them anyway. 

They aren't wearing them much around here right now because it is still cold. In my area, practicality reigns. Easter Sunday there will be some women who venture out in dresses, but since it is so early, there will be far fewer than when Easter is later.

I don't wear them because I have a hard time finding ones in which the bodice fits me right. I have wide hips, pear shape, but small bust and narrow shoulders. I need two sizes smaller in the bodice than I do on the bottom, and dresses simply aren't made that way. I have exactly three dresses in my closet that I've kept over the years in case I need one. But it is far more likely that if I dress up, I wear a lovely skirt, and a pretty shell with a dressy shrug, cardigan, or jacket. I have heard from numerous friends that they have had a very hard time finding dresses that fit them in the past few years. They love the vintage styles, some of the 40's and 50's looks that came out, but have the same deal where they could put two people in the top of the dress while it just fits on the bottom. Most of my friends and I are not tall, nor long waisted so I think that right now clothing designers are ignoring this body type.

In the work place, dh says he never sees dresses nor skirts. The women he works with in IT wear pantsuits with professional style blouses. Very fitted, very professional, but not distinctly feminine. No heels. Flat black shoes is the norm. Practicality rules.

Sigh...dh wants me to get a dress for our anniversary. The whole thought of dress shopping makes me want to gag. I went dress shopping last August because I needed something different than what I had in my closet for a wedding I was coordinating. It was exhausting and discouraging. I managed to find something that wasn't awful, and nice accessories to match. I have a feeling that this will be what I pull out for our anniversary dinner because I'd rather stay home and eat McDonald's ( :ack2: ) than go dress shopping again. The only thing worse in the whole world is possibly swimsuit shopping. I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon than go swimsuit shopping.

Oh well gee now I feel like I live in a weird place. LOL

Although probably it is less common in winter. This winter was mild, but last winter we had temps well below zero most days.

Sweater and sweatshirt dresses can be really warm and cozy. And super practical. But only if you like them, of course.

And I wear athletic type dresses and skirts, nothing that can't be worn with sneakers or snow boots. :)

• Like 1

Women in my circle of friends wear dresses on a regular basis.

I have lots of dresses, but I rarely wear dresses during the winter. Once it gets warm though, I wear dresses often. Most of mine are casual, so for work I usually wear skirts&tops.

My DD wears dresses very often, even in winter.

Now with my college students, dresses are an exception.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Might be.  It's still cold here so maybe that is it.

Plus really I might not just get out much. 

Maybe, but I am in Canada and we have plenty of dresses in my city.  IN winter it isn't uncommon to see pants or jeans under dresses, or people will sometimes wear fleece lined tights or leggings under them.

• Like 1

I wore one Sunday, but I don't claim to be fashionable. I actually wear a lot of knit t-shirt type dresses in the summer, I think they look better on me than shorts. Just last night I was shopping online for some new ones.

Around here dresses are a year round thing but they really start showing up when the spring meet for horse racing starts.

I like them in teh summer because I have had a really hard time in recent years finding shorts that are not huge or quite tiny.  Even for gardening, I have a sort of tough canvas one that I can wear with my gardening boots.  It's actually a lot easier to bend and kneel in the skirt than pants or shorts.

I don't wear them because I have a hard time finding ones in which the bodice fits me right. I have wide hips, pear shape, but small bust and narrow shoulders. I need two sizes smaller in the bodice than I do on the bottom, and dresses simply aren't made that way.

I used to have the same problem (before gaining weight and having babies), with as bonus problem that my upper arms are like my hips, big, so anything long-sleeve was impossible. I think I had all of one dress that fit well as a teenager, which was pretty much like this one (incl same collar and pockets) but all the way to my ankles:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/072/0/7571578/il_214x170.812774087_6z4h.jpg

I loved that dress (except it's not super practical while bicycling, so I didn't wear it that often). I dyed it black around the time I turned 20 when I got bored with the blue denim color.

But anyway, dresses tend to look stupid on me, I'm much too tomboy-ish for dresses.

My wife just bought a few dresses for summer that she was showing off to me on Sunday. I have no idea what other people wear.

I'm much too tomboy-ish for dresses.

There are dresses for us tomboys - those made by outdoor companies that make backpacking gear. The Mountain Hardwear Loess dress is my favorite

https://www.rei.com/product/827030/mountain-hardwear-loess-dress

I love the Territory Ahead Assam one for winter - extremely comfortable

https://www.territoryahead.com/product/assam-velour-dress.do?sortby=priceDescend%3B

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3