Menu

I need easiest cleaning techniques for the following

DawnM

1. Walls - I don't "wash", I Swiffer to dust them. Spot wipe where hands make a mess.

2. Dusting - reduce, reduce, reduce Stuff On Horizontal Surfaces, and Swiffer.

3. Toilets - train boys to do it, since they make most of the mess.

4. Kitchen - train everyone to put glasses and plats in dishwasher when they bring them in, and clan up as I go along with cooking (vs. DH who leaves The Disaster Zone after he makes a simple meal).

• Like 2

I just picked up some bleach tablets that you dump in the toilet tank. Keeps it from smelling and I only need to wipe them down now. Clorox or baby wipes in the bathroom and the kids wipe the toilet down daily. 

Magic erasers for walls - the kids do that, too. They think it's fun. 

Dusting .. uhhhh... don't?  :laugh:

Kitchen - if this is a season, buy paper products so there are fewer dishes. If it's long term, and you can swing it, take a few hours to really go through and get rid of stuff and organize the cabinets so that you can clear the counters. Clear counters are easier to wipe down quickly and make the whole room feel clean, even if there are dishes in the sink. 

I guess I should have specified.

One room the walls need cleaning to paint.  The rest of the walls haven't been washed/wiped for years.

We are selling the house, projected listing date of May 1st, so I have to do all the cleaning, including dusting, to keep it spruced up for showings.

a cleaning service?   :lol: 

Seriously, there is no magic. It just needs doing & it's easier to maintain than to do full cleans. I agree with decluttering counters in the kitchen (well, the whole house really. The less clutter the easier it is to keep everything clean...)  I don't really dust. Get rid of tchotchkes. Wipe horizontal surfaces with a damp cloth or wave the vacuum wand over them. 

You need to keep the tools on hand at all times. For bathrooms, I keep cleaning solution, paper towels, brush under the sink at all times. Spray, wipe with paper towels, throw them in the garbage. Do this every couple of days. It takes less than a minute & I often spray it and let it sit while drying my hair or applying sunscreen. Then swish the brush around, wipe rim and all the sides of the seat with paper towels, throw them out, flush & you're done.  I used to be pious about not using paper towels but decided this was one area I had to compromise on. 

Magic eraser for walls & baseboards & doors. 

• Like 2

oh, for dusting, we find that keeping a really high quality electrostatic filter in our furnace & replacing it very frequently (way more than they recommend) helps a lot with keeping dust down. Dh is going to rig something in our furnace so we can run the fan without heat so we can run it year round... 

• Like 1

I guess I should have specified.

One room the walls need cleaning to paint.  The rest of the walls haven't been washed/wiped for years.

We are selling the house, projected listing date of May 1st, so I have to do all the cleaning, including dusting, to keep it spruced up for showings.

TSP or a TSP alternative for the wall that needs to be painted.  You can use it on the walls that don't need to be painted as well.  You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware store. 

• Like 5

Don't use chlorine in your toilet tank if you have a septic system.  It will kill the organisms that digest the waste.

I take a baby wipe to the outside of the toilet and the floor around it every morning after everyone has left for work, use a dust pan and brush around the litter box, and take the sponge that lives on the edge of the sink and wipe the sink out with a spritz of vinegar from the bottle that lives in the shower stall.  (Everyone is supposed to spritz the shower after showering.  Not wipe, just spritz.)  Then every once in awhile, I dump vinegar into the toilet bowl, let it sit, swish it around with the toilet brush.  Once in awhile, after I've showered, I wipe the floor down.  The bathroom isn't exactly great but neither is it totally disgusting, usually.

I grab cobwebs off the ceilings with a broom occasionally and take a rag and cleaning spray like 409 to any grimy spots.  That's all I do for walls.

The kitchen is usually a mess.  The dustpan and brush hang in the kitchen and I try to sweep with the floor occasionally (they are super fast and I don't mind crawling around on the floor).  I swipe the counters and top of the stove with the sponge whenever I do the dishes.  I try (and consistently fail) to swipe the racks in the fridge when I bring in the groceries from the car, before I fill the fridge back up.  Then every once in awhile (like once every season or two), I swipe the fronts of the cabinets, I pull off the knobs and burners of the stove to clean under them, I wash the floor, I pull the things on the counter out to swipe behind them, I empty the toaster oven, and I clean the fridge more thoroughly with baking soda, taking everything out.  Again, the kitchen isn't exactly clean, but neither is it impossibly gross.  If something gets particularly dirty, I try to deal with it right away.  I deal with spills thoroughly right away.

Dusting gets done before Christmas and before Easter and is ignored the rest of the time.  I really wish I had a better way of dealing with it, but I have too much stuff crammed into too small a space to be able to do anything about this properly.

Nan

ETA Small rugs in strategic places that I can throw in the wash occasionally help.  And we don't wear shoes in the house.  That helps a lot.

Edited by Nan in Mass

TSP or a TSP alternative for the wall that needs to be painted.  You can use it on the walls that don't need to be painted as well.  You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware store. 

oh yes, for a big job like that, def tsp or alternative. 

Mix in a bucket with water, spread towels or tarp about a foot wide from the edge of the wall so you don't have to be so careful about drips. Start at the top and work about 2 feet wide swath down. I find it works best to use a dry towel to wipe dry right away. The walls will dry without less chance of streaking that way. Move step ladder over & repeat.  

great thigh & arm workout .... 

• Like 1

Just saw that you are moving.  I would pack most of my stuff early to make maintaining at a high level for showing easier.  The house would show better, also, without all the clutter of candlesticks, musical instruments, a million books, art supplies, the bill basket (great idea to pack that up and put it in storage grin), desk stuff, gardening stuff, tools, chargers, etc. all over the surfaces.

Nan

• Like 2

I mean wham/bam/you're done.

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

4. Keeping the kitchen clean

Just do not recommend fly lady or I may need to physically harm you!

Dusting: the swiffer dusters are pretty good.

Toilets: a bleach tablet in the tank, and the clorox wands and wipes for quick clean ups.

I like the multi surface pledge right now. It makes it so easy & quick to wipe down everything from my wood furniture to my stainless steel garbage can.

• Like 3

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

Dusting: the swiffer dusters are pretty good.

Toilets: a bleach tablet in the tank, and the clorox wands and wipes for quick clean ups.

I like the multi surface pledge right now. It makes it so easy & quick to wipe down everything from my wood furniture to my stainless steel garbage can.

1. I just repainted. Wow. My walls look awesome. ETA - if you keep the paint colors straight, touch up is easy. In the future I'll do the wet rag technique and every 6 months do a quick paint hit.

2. I got nothing. :-)

3. Clorox tablets. Wipe down with Clorox wipes.

4. Every night before bed, the kitchen is cleaned and dishwasher started. Kid2's morning chores include emptying dishwasher and drying rack. Viola. Clean every morning.

Edited by FriedClams

Agreed.  

As for cleaning toilets/bathrooms I trained the kids to clean their bathroom.  We did an apprenticeship, starting with the sink and mirror then the tub then the floor and finally the toilet.  They hated the toilet but once they were solid on what was expected with the rest of the bathroom the toilet didn't seem that bad and they were willing to do it just to get it done.  It helped to have a checklist for them to follow AFTER I had done it with them a few times.  If you can get them doing some sort of training program now it will help once the house is listed.  The bathrooms will need to be kept really clean and that means cleaning often.  If the other members of your family can actually be solid on how and what to do by the time you list it will make your life easier even though it is a pain right now.

Here was my approximate list, to give you an idea.

Bathroom cleaning 101:

1. Gather all cleaning supplies (actually, I keep a set in every bathroom and it includes vinyl gloves, glass cleaner, disinfectant, toilet bowl cleaner, sponges, paper towels, kitchen trash bags, smaller trash bags and some various odds and ends).

2. Remove all stuff around the sink and put in cabinet until cleaning is done.

3. Squirt toilet bowl cleaner around toilet bowl, use toilet bowl brush to spread cleaner and let soak.

4.  Spray mirror and wipe down.

5.  Spray sink and wipe down.

6.  Spray bathtub and wipe down.

7.  Use toilet bowl brush to wipe down toilet bowl then flush.

8.  Spray toilet bowl rim, seat (under and over) lid, flush handle, top of tank, tank, and bottom of tank.  Wipe down.

9.  Swiffer mop the floor or do a deeper cleaning with hot water/soap and a mop when needed.

10.  Put away cleaning materials.

11.  Put soap/toothbrushes/whatever was around the sink back where it belongs.

Do whatever you think will work best but honestly I really do think this would work better if you can train the others to systematically help out.

Selling can be a real pain.  I agree with others, might you consider hiring a cleaning company initially then just maintain it afterwards?

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

1. I rarely wash whole walls. I just wash the walls around doorways, light switches, etc., and then I use an all-purpose cleaner.

2. I have four things for dusting: a microfiber mitt, which I spray with a dust-product-thingie *after* dust, which helps the mitt pick up dust but doesn't leave any kind of residue; a small craft brush for my tchtchkes (figurines and whatnot, with lots of little crevices, or lamps which have crevices, etc.); a dry sponge, to dust lamp shades, furniture, any fabric-type thing; and a swiffer duster. Sometimes I use the attachment on my vacuum cleaner, for baseboards and curtain valances and whatnot.

3. Spray bathroom cleaner on surfaces, wipe down; squirt on a liquid bowl cleaner, brush with the toilet bowl brush, flush.

4. Children have one cup and one plate they use all day long, a different color for each child. Cups and plates might be rinsed out/off and stored in the dishwasher until the next use; before we had a dishwasher, I did a quick handwash and let them drip-dry on a little drainer that fit in half the sink. Clean up immediately after every meal, including drying and putting away dishes if doing by hand; if using a dishwasher, all dishes go into the dishwasher immediately, always, dishwasher to be run whenever it's full and emptied as soon as it is finished. Leaving dishes on the counter or in the sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher is grounds for parental mayhem. No free-ranging children; we eat meals together, no scrounging for food in between meals. Once children are teenaged and have schedules that preclude them from eating with the family, they may cook, but ONLY if they also clean up when they are finished, as soon as they are finished, no exceptions. 

4. Children have one cup and one plate they use all day long, a different color for each child. Cups and plates might be rinsed out/off and stored in the dishwasher until the next use; before we had a dishwasher, I did a quick handwash and let them drip-dry on a little drainer that fit in half the sink. Clean up immediately after every meal, including drying and putting away dishes if doing by hand; if using a dishwasher, all dishes go into the dishwasher immediately, always, dishwasher to be run whenever it's full and emptied as soon as it is finished. Leaving dishes on the counter or in the sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher is grounds for parental mayhem. No free-ranging children; we eat meals together, no scrounging for food in between meals. Once children are teenaged and have schedules that preclude them from eating with the family, they may cook, but ONLY if they also clean up when they are finished, as soon as they are finished, no exceptions. 

My brother-in-law did this when his wife left him with three boys to raise.  He had them each cleaning their own right after meals but I guess you could rotate responsibility.  Just have a chart so everyone knows whose turn it is.  Made life a lot easier for him.  Color coding made it easier to tell if someone hadn't cleaned their stuff.

• Like 1

My brother-in-law did this when his wife left him with three boys to raise.  He had them each cleaning their own right after meals but I guess you could rotate responsibility.  Just have a chart so everyone knows whose turn it is.  Made life a lot easier for him.  Color coding made it easier to tell if someone hadn't cleaned their stuff.

Kudos to your bil for keeping the household running. :-)

Every person in a household needs to be responsible for his own stuff after a meal, even if someone else is responsible for wiping surfaces, sweeping, emptying the trash, etc.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

It sounds like you are feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Hang in there.  

Declutter first.  Seriously, declutter as much as humanly possibly, doing light normal cleaning as you go.  Pick one room, focus on that room, then move on to the next one.  One foot in front of the other.  Step down everything else besides decluttering, packing and cleaning to just the bare minimum needs for the next few weeks.  Then do the deep cleaning.  I would wait to clean the walls for painting until you have packed and decluttered quite a bit and given everything else a good scrubbing.  It can be really aggravating to put in all that effort to clean the walls and repaint only to have them get dinged up right away while decluttering/packing.  

Can you rent a storage unit for things you don't immediately need?  It helps so much to pack stuff up and have a safe place to store it.  Then cleaning is so much easier because there is so much less getting in the way.  And the house shows much better without all the stuff.

We just closed on a new to us house, and I've spent the past few days cleaning it.  I was going to hire someone to do it, but I thought the price was steep and honestly I don't trust anyone else to clean up to my standards.

What I'm doing is dusting the walls with a Swiffer and then going back over them with vinegar water and a microfiber towel.  I'm really only washing the bad spots.  Otherwise I call it wiping them down. ;)

If your walls are very dirty you'll want to wash from the bottom up.  If you wash from the top and have dirty drips, they have a tendency to stain the wall unless you're really, really quick to wipe them.  If your walls are just a little dusty it shouldn't be a problem.

Dusting -- Microfiber rags, dry or with a squirt of water or all purpose cleaner.

For all purpose cleaner right now I'm loving the Windex with vinegar multi surface cleaner.  I'm going through bottles of it.  I like the Pledge multi surface cleaner, too.  I think it smells so good!

Toilets -- biggest thing is to just do them regularly.  I spray the outside of ours down with cleaner every time I'm getting ready to do a load of towels.  I use the hand towel that's getting ready to go into the wash to wipe down the sprayed toilet.

Kitchen -- agree with keeping counters as clutter free as possible.  Keep a bottle of cleaner and a microfiber rag handy and wipe the counters down after every meal.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

Before painting I go buy a new sponge mop and wipe down the walls with it. Quick and easy.

Since you're moving start packing away all your dust collectors, including books. This will give the home a lighter/airy feel and you have less to dust.  I like those cheap yellow disposable duster things, they work well and when they start getting to full of yuck they go in the trash. 

Same thing works with Toilet wands. Also use the Clorox sick on gels.  They smell good and last for a couple weeks but don't turn toilet blue.  

Kitchen.... Here is where I struggle.  After I make dinner I don't want to spend another hour cleaning up.  I can't get anyone else to do it either.  The kids do unload the dishes and take out the trash but everything else is left on me.  I need to go clean my kitchen so I can make another mess dinner.

• Like 1

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

1. Washing walls

A thin, damp bath towel secured to your broom with a rubber band. It covers a lot of area quickly.

2. Dusting

Just do it. It never takes as long as you fear it will. Keeping surfaces clear off extraneous crap helps a LOT.

3. Cleaning toilets

A squirt of hand soap, a swish with the brush, and a wipe-down with a cleaning wipe takes ONE minute.

See #2. Also, timing matters. Make sure the dishwasher gets emptied first thing in the morning so you have a place for dirty dishes to land. Make sure it's empty enough to hold all of the dinner dishes before you eat. It takes me 5 minutes to empty, five minutes to load, and another five to wipe down counters. Putting away food varies.

Anything I don't have to rinse?  I really don't want to rinse.  We have TSP here actually.  I just am too lazy to do all of that.  We have so much to do to get this house ready to sell.  And we have a lot of square footage to do!

1. Washing walls: wipe dirty marks when you see them. Usually a damp cloth (I use an old face cloth) is sufficient. If not, sugar soap or dish soap or bicarbonate of soda.

2. Dusting: get rid of stuff. I wipe surfaces with the same damp cloth mentioned above, nothing fancy.

3. Cleaning toilets: mostly it's pour in a bit of bleach, allow to stand, brush and flush. But everyone is required to 'clean up after themselves' as it were. If you're found not doing that you are called back to do it and suffer my wrath.

4. Keeping the kitchen clean: clean as you go. Always. Yes, no exceptions. Everyone packs their dirty dishes straight into the dishwasher and there is a tub under the sink for anything else. Kids unpack the dishwasher. Whoever uses the breadboard dusts away crumbs. Everyone puts away what they use. Whoever cooks wipes down the stove and surrounds before they eat (ok, I'm the only one who actually does this, but it's the goal). I do a final pack/unpack/wipe once or twice a day to catch anything that's been missed, and do any hand washing that's in the tub under the sink.

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

I struggle with these, too. What I am trying

1. Walls - Spot cleaning with magic eraser

2. Dusting - Spent $$ on a swiffer. Putting on loud music.

3. Toilet - Bottle of spray vinegar in bathroom. At bedtime after brushing teeth and washing face, quick spritz, quick toilet brush, wipe down with face cloth, toss in washer. Elapsed time <5 min., courtesy of she-who-shall-not-be-named.

4. I've been paying dd to wash the floor. And just putting up with imperfection. And... ya. 

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 1

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

I don't wash walls, but if I see something I use a magic eraser to clean it up.

Dusting...I dust everything 1 time a week- Friday and just keep things tidy the rest of the week.  A damp microfiber is your friend during the week. 

Cleaning toilets--cleaned w/ bleach once a week and swished everyday to keep spiffy.   I also have those bleach tabs in there to keep everything fresh. 

Kitchen--I clean it immediately after each meal.. everything is put back to 100% and my family knows if they want me to cook and they come in there between meals everything must be wash and returned to it's spot...or I don't cook.  

a cleaning service?   :lol: 

Seriously, there is no magic. It just needs doing & it's easier to maintain than to do full cleans. I agree with decluttering counters in the kitchen (well, the whole house really. The less clutter the easier it is to keep everything clean...)  I don't really dust. Get rid of tchotchkes. Wipe horizontal surfaces with a damp cloth or wave the vacuum wand over them. 

You need to keep the tools on hand at all times. For bathrooms, I keep cleaning solution, paper towels, brush under the sink at all times. Spray, wipe with paper towels, throw them in the garbage. Do this every couple of days. It takes less than a minute & I often spray it and let it sit while drying my hair or applying sunscreen. Then swish the brush around, wipe rim and all the sides of the seat with paper towels, throw them out, flush & you're done.  I used to be pious about not using paper towels but decided this was one area I had to compromise on. 

Magic eraser for walls & baseboards & doors. 

This.

I saw the references to Swiffer and, also looking for better cleaning solutions, decided to look it up, but alas found this which gave me pause on that: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/is-the-swiffer-eco-friendly.html 

I have been using my vacuum to "dust" things that will not go down it...it works well on many surfaces, book tops, large knick knacks, etc.

1. Washing walls

2. Dusting

3. Cleaning toilets

1. Don't do it.

2. Get the kids to do it.

3. Chlorine tablets, and just swish with cleanser a couple times a month.

4. Cook less, wash dishes as you use them.  Get the kids to sweep.

I saw the references to Swiffer and, also looking for better cleaning solutions, decided to look it up, but alas found this which gave me pause on that: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/is-the-swiffer-eco-friendly.html

I have been using my vacuum to "dust" things that will not go down it...it works well on many surfaces, book tops, large knick knacks, etc.

I didn't follow your link, but I'm sure there are more eco-friendly solutions than the Swiffer. I have Norwex cloths for "proper" dusting. Being one of those folks who can easily let perfect become the enemy of good, and leave tasks waiting for the "perfect", this is one my compromise areas. Another one is paper towel: I try to use rags and cloths for most things, but I keep paper towel around for those chores where it just makes sense. Likewise, I try to dust "properly", but did break down and get the Swiffer for those times when it just needs to get done. It does make it less of a chore, and it's probably still not getting done often enough. But you do have a good point, for sure.

I dust walls with a swifter and spot clean.

Toilet daily toilet cleaner dumped in, swish, Clorox wipes from top of tank to floor around (I use one for each section)

Dusting weekly 1-2 rooms a day.

Kitchen no excuses. Dishwasher unloaded in the morning so it can be loaded through out the day and ran at night. Before I start cooking I fill the sink with hot soapy water and wash as I go. Then dry and put away asap. After dinner the kids clear the table. Everything gets wiped down and put away. I hate dishes laying around so it's either dishwasher or wash dry put away immediately. Sweep and we're done. mop once/twice a week.

Routines help a lot.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 1

3 sons and a DH

My DH is doing far more work than the rest of us.  He is replacing windows, finishing the trim work in the basement, building a new casing for our garden window in the kitchen, repairing the garage door and motor, doing some landscaping, hanging some drywall repair in the garage, oh, and he is an accountant, so this is all in-between working 16 hour days right now.

The kids are helping, that isn't the issue.

Edited by DawnM

I didn't follow your link, but I'm sure there are more eco-friendly solutions than the Swiffer. I have Norwex cloths for "proper" dusting. Being one of those folks who can easily let perfect become the enemy of good, and leave tasks waiting for the "perfect", this is one my compromise areas. Another one is paper towel: I try to use rags and cloths for most things, but I keep paper towel around for those chores where it just makes sense. Likewise, I try to dust "properly", but did break down and get the Swiffer for those times when it just needs to get done. It does make it less of a chore, and it's probably still not getting done often enough. But you do have a good point, for sure.

The Swiffer issue is more than throw-aways using up resources and filling up landfills. They are apparently toxic to wildlife--so worse than paper towel use in that.

Some people also get headaches and other symptoms from them.

In addition to the vacuum, I also have microfiber towels and floor sweepers that are washable and reusable, similar maybe to your Norwex (not sure), but the company mine are is I think called Mystic Maid--or something like that.