Menu

S/O Who's Planning for Next Year Middle School?

I saw the thread for the High School Board and wondered if anyone besides me with a middle-school student is an obsessive planner. I've pretty much got my classes outlined and have already purchased all my stuff (maybe a few extras will be finagle their way into the mix). 

So, here's my tentative plan for 8th grade:

• Math: This is the only class weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re unsure about yet.  DD is struggling with Pre-Algebra, so weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re taking it very slowly.  If she has to continue with it into next year in order to solidify the concepts, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s fine with us.
  • Bible/Lit: Combination class utilizing the Hobbit & LOTR series.  Following are the books weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be using:

o   Annotated Hobbit Ă¢â‚¬â€œ This oneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s for me so I can help teach DD how to annotate, as well as give me inside info.

o   LOTR Readers Companion (General info)

o   BilboĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Journey (Bible portion while reading Hobbit)

o   FrodoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Journey (Bible portion while reading LOTR)

o   Hobbits, You, and the Spiritual World of Middle-Earth (Bible inclusion for series)

o   The Gospel According to Tolkien (Bible inclusion for whole series)

o   The Real Middle-Earth (a little geography & ancient history thrown in if possible)

o   The Real Middle-Earth (Prime Video; poor quality video but still interesting)

o   Lectures from Mythgard and Peter Kreeft thanks to suggestions from fellow boardies!

• Language Arts: This year weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been doing a LA Loop.  DD loves it and would like to continue it next year.  HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve planned for that:

o   Fix-It Grammar 3 w/English Grammar in Use & parts of ELTL

o   Adventures in Fantasy

o   Paragraphs for Middle School

o   Excavating English

• Science: IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to plug holes here.  I want to cover Evolution and Physics mostly.  WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve done Chemistry, but a short refresher wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t hurt.  Therefore, science will be mixed.  I may even separate out the Evolution debate and have that as a separate class altogether.  Here are the resources I plan to use:

o   Discovering ID w/online companion

o   Articles from Evolution News & Views to coincide with other texts

o   On the Origin of Species (from our library)

o   CK12 Evolution Flexbook to coincide with Discovering ID Chapters

o   Various videos to coincide with topics

o   Science Matters Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Spine for Physical Science

§  BrainPop Ă¢â‚¬â€œ as a supplement for Physics & Chemistry topics

§  The Wonders of Physics

§  A KidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Introduction to Physics

§  Various videos to coincide with Science Matters Chapters

• History: Since weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve finished with rotations, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve given DD free choice for this class.  SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s chosen to study the Celts, Druids, and a more extensive study of Mythology.  Since this may not take the whole year, I may include another unit on the history of fairy tales. 

Celts and Druids are difficult topics to find good, factual information for because they left no written histories. Any info regarding them is from secondary sources from the Greeks, Romans & Britains.  In fact, many scholars no longer believe Celts were a separate Ă¢â‚¬Å“raceĂ¢â‚¬ per se.  Therefore, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve chosen those books which I believe will provide the most accurate info I can find:

o   Druids: A History

o   Blood of the Celts: A New Ancestral Story

o   The Celts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ YouTube 6-episode Documentary (on Amazon Prime @ $1.99/episode)

o   The Religion of the Ancient Celts

o   Mythology: The Illustrated Anthology of World Myth & Storytelling

o   YT & Amazon videos

o   Know Why You Believe

o   Know Who You Believe

• Spanish: This will be DDĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s first year of Spanish in lieu of Latin.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve had 5 years of Spanish (many moons ago), and I still remember much of it.  Therefore, I will be able to help her quite a bit, especially with pronunciation.  I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really like any of the standard Spanish texts or curricula out there, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m cobbling something together which I hope will be successful.  Here are my picks. If the Hive has other suggestions, please let me know:

o   Teaching Spanish: The Essential Handbook (Reference for me)

o   Easy Spanish Step-By-Step (Spine)

o   PMP Complete Spanish Grammar

o   PMP Spanish Conversation

o   First Spanish Reader: Dual Language Book

o   MadrigalĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Magic Key to Spanish

o   Duolingo

o   Watch movies in Spanish

• Economics: Hobbit Party (in keeping with our Tolkien Theme)
  • Shakespeare/Poe: Read various selections each week alternating authors
  • Art: @ the local high school (we've done a lot of artists' / music study this year, so we'll give those a break. That way I will have room to separate the science out if I need to.)

So, has anyone else been working on their plans for next year?

Edited by Saddlemomma2
  • Like 7

Wish list for 7th grade year is something like this:

AP French Potters School (only provider I can find)

Geometry Wilson school if he does well on algebra regents exam. If not, more algebra of some sort, Foersters probably.

Arabic CTY

Language Arts: we would have finished the beloved Galore Park middle school sequence so it will probably be an online class with WTM academy, maybe. Continue with Sadlier Oxford for vocab. Some sort of literature but not sure what.

History- continue the sequence with OUP materials, combine with art history

Science: conceptual physics class

A landry chemistry intensive if I can find one on the east coast ;)

I think that's it. I'd like to add a third language, but I'd like him to approach me with it. And some sort of project like a history day or lego robotics league, only because that stuff helps us organize and I am really awful at hands on, project type stuff. But we will see. I want to take the summer to explore some very different summer camps so perhaps he will come out of it with ideas of what he wants to do.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Saddlemamma,what a beautifully formatted post! I am in awe.

Here's my plan for dd grade 8:

Math: Saxon Algebra, probably fourth edition

History: TOG year 2 with our co-op

Science: Science Explorers Physical Science

English: probably a mash up of Windows to the World and TOG year 2 dialectic; Rod and Staff 7, something for vocab; not sure for writing--maybe continue with Writing Aids

Foreign Language: Irish, perhaps,maybe using Rosetta Stone. I was an Irish language drop out, so I am unsure, but she's my independent worker. If not, Excelerate Spanish I.

Music: piano and organ

Art: Something homegrown

PE: personal fitness

Logic: Discovery of Deduction

ds grade 6

Math: Horizons 6

History: Tog year 2 with co-op

Science: Science Explorers Earth Science or ABeka 6

English:Tog year 2, IEW Medieval Writing Lessons, Climbing to Good English 6, Spelling Power

Foreign Language: Excelerate Spanish or Latin using ?

Music: guitar

Art:homegrown

PE: personal fitness

Logic: not sure

I saw the thread for the High School Board and wondered if anyone besides me with a middle-school student is an obsessive planner. I've pretty much got my classes outlined and have already purchased all my stuff (maybe a few extras will be finagle their way into the mix).

So, here's my tentative plan for 8th grade:

• Math: This is the only class weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re unsure about yet. DD is struggling with Pre-Algebra, so weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re taking it very slowly. If she has to continue with it into next year in order to solidify the concepts, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s fine with us.
  • Bible/Lit: Combination class utilizing the Hobbit & LOTR series. Following are the books weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be using:

o Annotated Hobbit Ă¢â‚¬â€œ This oneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s for me so I can help teach DD how to annotate, as well as give me inside info.

o LOTR Readers Companion (General info)

o BilboĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Journey (Bible portion while reading Hobbit)

o FrodoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Journey (Bible portion while reading LOTR)

o Hobbits, You, and the Spiritual World of Middle-Earth (Bible inclusion for series)

o The Gospel According to Tolkien (Bible inclusion for whole series)

o The Real Middle-Earth (a little geography & ancient history thrown in if possible)

o The Real Middle-Earth (Prime Video; poor quality video but still interesting)

o Lectures from Mythgard and Peter Kreeft thanks to suggestions from fellow boardies!

• Language Arts: This year weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been doing a LA Loop. DD loves it and would like to continue it next year. HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve planned for that:

o Fix-It Grammar 3 w/English Grammar in Use & parts of ELTL

o Adventures in Fantasy

o Paragraphs for Middle School

o Excavating English

• Science: IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to plug holes here. I want to cover Evolution and Physics mostly. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve done Chemistry, but a short refresher wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t hurt. Therefore, science will be mixed. I may even separate out the Evolution debate and have that as a separate class altogether. Here are the resources I plan to use:

o Discovering ID w/online companion

o Articles from Evolution News & Views to coincide with other texts

o On the Origin of Species (from our library)

o CK12 Evolution Flexbook to coincide with Discovering ID Chapters

o Various videos to coincide with topics

o Science Matters Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Spine for Physical Science

§ BrainPop Ă¢â‚¬â€œ as a supplement for Physics & Chemistry topics

§ The Wonders of Physics

§ A KidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Introduction to Physics

§ Various videos to coincide with Science Matters Chapters

• History: Since weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve finished with rotations, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve given DD free choice for this class. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s chosen to study the Celts, Druids, and a more extensive study of Mythology. Since this may not take the whole year, I may include another unit on the history of fairy tales.

Celts and Druids are difficult topics to find good, factual information for because they left no written histories. Any info regarding them is from secondary sources from the Greeks, Romans & Britains. In fact, many scholars no longer believe Celts were a separate Ă¢â‚¬Å“raceĂ¢â‚¬ per se. Therefore, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve chosen those books which I believe will provide the most accurate info I can find:

o Druids: A History

o Blood of the Celts: A New Ancestral Story

o The Celts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ YouTube 6-episode Documentary (on Amazon Prime @ $1.99/episode)

o The Religion of the Ancient Celts

o Mythology: The Illustrated Anthology of World Myth & Storytelling

o YT & Amazon videos

o Know Why You Believe

o Know Who You Believe

• Spanish: This will be DDĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s first year of Spanish in lieu of Latin. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve had 5 years of Spanish (many moons ago), and I still remember much of it. Therefore, I will be able to help her quite a bit, especially with pronunciation. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really like any of the standard Spanish texts or curricula out there, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m cobbling something together which I hope will be successful. Here are my picks. If the Hive has other suggestions, please let me know:

o Teaching Spanish: The Essential Handbook (Reference for me)

o Easy Spanish Step-By-Step (Spine)

o PMP Complete Spanish Grammar

o PMP Spanish Conversation

o First Spanish Reader: Dual Language Book

o MadrigalĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Magic Key to Spanish

o Duolingo

o Watch movies in Spanish

• Economics: Hobbit Party (in keeping with our Tolkien Theme)
  • Shakespeare/Poe: Read various selections each week alternating authors
  • Art: @ the local high school (we've done a lot of artists' / music study this year, so we'll give those a break. That way I will have room to separate the science out if I need to.)

Well, I had planned to read the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy using various guides, but your plans look so much better, I think I'll borrow some of what you're doing!

I think I have next year pretty set for my 2 oldest. I won't buy anything for awhile, but with a baby coming soon, I am feeling a lot of pressure to get all my ducks in a row... And I may possibly be an obsessive planner too... ;)

8th grade (dd):

Math ~ Continue AoPS Intro to Algebra, but start alternating chapters from Intro to Geometry

English ~

Lit: I have 8 novels, 1 play, and 3 poets picked to study, plus we will study 1-2 Shakespeare plays as a family.

Grammar: Daily Grammar Practice 8

Writing/Vocab: IEW Advanced U.S. History Based Writing.

Science ~ Human A&P using this text and the accompanying coloring book/study guide

History ~ Modern times, loosely using TOG Year 4

Latin ~ Latin 1 with Lone Pine

5th grade (ds)

Math ~ AoPS Prealgebra - he is wanting to start this, so we'll give it a try...

English ~

Continue reading from the Mensa 4th-6th list

Finish MCT Island, possibly continue with Town

R&S Spelling

WWS - 1/2 pace

Science ~ Zoology 3 with notebook(I strongly dislike the heavy YE bent of these, but my animal obsessed kid LOVES this series) and McHenry's Human Body

History ~ SotW 4 + world geography

Latin ~ Latin Prep 1

Both kids will continue piano and 4H

I think I'm going to have to use some of your Tolkien ideas! We will be doing LLfLOTR as a family, but I haven't gotten too far into planning that yet.

I will have a sixth grader next year.

Literature -- the aforementioned study, medieval literature (using History Odyssey)

History -- Middle Ages (with History Odyssey)

Writing -- undecided, possibly a CAP book, possibly WWS1

Other LA -- undecided still, possibly more Spelling Power, maybe something for logic, need to refresh my memory on what else DD did in sixth

Math -- looking at AOPS pre-algebra, so either that or Singapore 6

Science -- some sort of life science stuff

Latin -- Latin's Not So Tough, 3-4

Fine arts -- homemade art and composer study, maybe Artistic Pursuits, maybe the Hillyer books on painting and sculpture, more guitar

Geography -- world geography with Trail Guide

Language -- DuoLingo if he wants to

Typing -- continue lessons on typing.com

He's an easy kid to school and doesn't complain much about what I decide. I need to ask him what else he wants to learn.

Edited by happypamama

I'm trying to streamline things for next year, and want to get DD to have a little more even skills across the board. I've already bought most of this, I'm just debating about whether we will have time for extras like foreign language or art, because we really haven't had time this year with all of DD's tumbling stuff:

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Maths 3 (Algebra I with some Geometry)

Build Your Library 8th Grade

Giggly Guide to Grammar

Phonetic Zoo

I've already been through middle school once so prob just more of the same, lol.

I am having to decide if I want to enroll him in the WTMA history class or do it myself.  I have collected such good material over the years, but having someone else teach is very appealing... He is currently enrolled in WTMA writing class and I am loving it. It's still some work for me b/c I am around to support during assignments etc, but I know that it is being done well. There is no worry that I'm not going a good enough job or something.

But then my nice K12 and Oxford Press books will go to waste, lol.

I can't decide. 

Thanks, but don't think too highly of me; I cheat by using Word, then cutting and pasting.  That way I can save it as a guide and add to/delete from it as plans change.

Well, I plan in a spiral notebook with no links involved, but lots of crossing out. . . . .LOL
  • Like 3

What my kids requested/decided so far for 2016/17

6th grader

Science - Bio, Physics and Chem. MATE ROV kit (ETA: bought the kit)

Math - intermediate algebra

LA - just read. He'll be taking the ACT and then we see what needs to be shored up

Music - Cello (lessons), flute, piano

Foreign language - German, Chinese

Literature - online class

History and Art not decided yet

7th grader

Science - chemistry, physics, whatever bio interest him

Math - precalculus review then calculus

LA - just read

Music - Cello (lessons), piano

Foreign language - German, Chinese

History - (ETA: prep for sat world history)

Art not decided yet

Literature - (ETA: prep for sat literature)

Edited by Arcadia

I can't even get my 6th graders to plan next semester yet. They did previously agree to do a philosophy unit, so we'll do that, but they can't get agreed about what else. Today after a conversation, I proposed a comparing things math unit (like, what's the cost of all of us taking public transit vs. parking and paying for gas and how does that differ for different destinations and what if we got a parking ticket) and that got a little hopeful attention.

• Like 5

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have a 5th grader next year.

Math -- MEP 6

Language Arts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ tentative, I am open to other suggestions. 

So You Really Want to Learn English 1

Spectrum Writing 5

Writing for Learning [cursive copywork, he prefers a workbook to mom-made assignments]

Dance Mat typing or other typing program

History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Medieval, undecided whether to continue with Galore Park (weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using the Junior History volumes as spines for ancient history) or switch to something else

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Selected works, mostly correlated with history

Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Brain and Carbon Chemistry

Civics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ either an elections unit or current events.  Is Time for Kids worth the single subscription price?

Latin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ tentatively Cambridge Latin

Health Ă¢â‚¬â€œ fire safety, nervous system/drugs and alcohol (tied to first science unit), and manners

Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ integrated with history plus seasonal projects

Music Ă¢â‚¬â€œ piano, possibly a band instrument, history/appreciation portion to be determined

PE Ă¢â‚¬â€œ gym class and/or sports

Here's what we're thinking for next year:

7th grader:

Math: Foerster's Algebra

Literature/LA: Really debating about dropping all the extra stuff & just letting her read and do spelling bee prep. She reads & writes obsessively in her free time.

History: K12 Human Odyssey 3

Science: Story of Science: Einstein, several chemistry books, and several TOPS chemistry units.

French: We're looking at moving to either Potter's School classes or a private tutor.

Latin: Latin Alive 2

Logic: Discovery of Deduction & looking for some sort of introduction to Rhetoric.

Art: Seriously considering dropping it. She really doesn't like it & it sucks up time she would rather spend on music.

Music: Piano & harp lessons.

Extra: Ballet

6th grader:

Math: AOPS Prealgebra

Literature/LA: MCT Voyage, Killgallon Sentences for MS, Writer's Inc, and I'm working on a literature/reading list.

History: K12 Human Odyssey 2

Science: Story of Science: Newton, The Way Life Works, DK Human Body coloring book, and some additional biology books, TOPS units, & a dissection kit.

French: Galore Park SYRWTL French 2

Latin: Latin Alive 1

Logic: The Art of Argument and Argument Builder

Art: Artistic Pursuits Middle School

Music: Piano lessons

Extra: Boy scouts & baseball.

Thinking about sixth grade for Dd looks like ths right now:

MM6
Latin Alive 1
WWS 1 (or maybe Maxwell's School Composition instead?)
Literature reading
History - Middle Ages, K12 HO with literature and discussion
WP Equine Science and lots of nature study
Rod and Staff 6

typing practice
Logic?

Art and drama tutorial
piano and choir
AHG

Edited by ScoutTN

There is a decent chance next year (8th) will be our last year homeschooling. I'm planning to take a totally different aproach as he prepares for public hgh school, or for whatever he decides. Generally, these are my plans so far for our primary focus subjects:

Math: Derek Owens Geometry. Outsourcing for the first time so he can get used to being held accountable by someone else. Will also hopefully make "proving" his level easier since it won't be a mom grade.

L/A: Writing with a Thesis. Must get those writing skills super solid and get that confidence up before high school.

History and Science: Big History Project. Super excited for this one. Time to break with our usual 4 year cycles. (They will both be supplemented but I haven't yet decided how.) The writing component is another huge draw for high school level prep.

Latin. We are starting Latin Prep after the holidays and I expect we will stick with it next year. The high school offers Latin so he can continue with it there or have a good base before taking French or Spanish.

I'm feeling a ton of pressure to get him high school ready. I'm not confident the transition will be smooth and am questioning whether starting at the public middle next year to get used to it before his grades "count" might not be the best thing. I really don't want to miss that last year with him though.

I'll have two in middle grades next year (can't believe oldest will have graduated from discussing his school on the logic board!). Here's what I'm thinking about:

7th:

TT 7

R&S English 6.... no idea if this will work out or not. He's doing 5 now and it's going great, but my oldest totally bombed when we got to Book 6. Maybe using it a year behind will help. Going with Easy Grammar instead. Nope, not that either. LLATL Green.

R&S Spelling 7.... I'll probably just use the word lists.

Outlines, rewrites, lit. essays for writing

The Fallacy Detective

Apologia General

Ancient history with the rest of us (mostly using R&S 7 book)

I didn't realize how open-ended his plans looked until I typed them out!

5th:

MM 5 TT5 (need more review and MM5 is soooo long)

Climbing to Good English 5 R&S English 5 Wrong again! Going to try LLATL Purple.

R&S Spelling 5

Logic Countdown

Narrations, outlines, lit. essays for writing

Probably interest-led science/Exploring Nature with Children

Ancient history with the rest of us

ETA: Making changes to my plans already. :p

Edited by hollyhock

If I were planning today:

8th grader next year:

Bible reading and Broadcasts from BaptistBibleHour.org

Writing - To be determined

Literature - chosen list to go with historical time period w/ response journal and discussion

History - at home or co-op, probably American

Science - probably Apologia Physical at co-op

Math - Saxon Algebra 1/2

Latin - Henle - slowly first third to half of the book

Either Art of Argument or a worldview study

Sewing lessons, maybe one other extra-curricular

eta 5th grader next year:

Bible reading and Broadcasts from BaptistBibleHour.org

Writing - To be determined

Grammar - R&S 5

Literature - list to be determined

History - American 1st half - mostly with Landmarks and some succinct spine to fill in in between books

Science - maybe Apologia General as a read aloud

Math - CLE 600

Latin - GSWL

CC - Foundations

Basketball, chess, piano

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1

Yes, and boy, is it not going well!!   :crying:  Every time I find something that I think they would like, they don't like it.  Oh, and they like things that I don't like.  Hey, but I have to read that, too, YKWIM?   :svengo:

And I'm finding out that it's almost completely impossible to find geometry (with answers, explanations and not told in story format).  *sigh*

I plan alllllllll year long ... it's a hobby! :)

My 7th grade plans for DD for next year are pretty well set. But if anyone has any ideas for about 12 weeks or so worth of civics/elections/government that is not Uncle Sam and You, I'd be appreciative!

Math Mammoth 7 with some Understanding Geometry from Critical Thinking Company thrown in for fun on Fridays

parts of MOH III & IV and History of Us (Jamestown thru Reconstruction) with lots of literature to go along with it

Apologia General Science

Analytical Grammar Season 2

Finish Wordsmith Creative Writing

Vocab from Classical Roots

Crypto Mind Benders

Scratch and NXT Legos

Artisitic Pursuits

Continue piano or switch to guitar - not sure which

• Like 1

DD will be in 8th and doing pretty much what her brother does in everything but Math.

Math- CLE 8 or some other Pre-Algebra/easy Algebra course

Science-Spectrum Chemistry for H.S. credit

English- WWS 3 and maybe WttW a couple classics and I'm not sure what else

Psychology- again, she's working her way through the Grey book right now as well as lectures from TGC

ASL- This will be the 2nd year so I hope to get a tutor, so far they're doing well learning grammar and having whole conversations in silence.

I'll have a 6th grader next year.  So far, I'm thinking:

Math: AOPS or Jousting Armadillos.  I have both and we'll start one before this school year is out.

Science: GHF Story of Science, Newton at the Center

English:  IEW Continuation Course B or one of their themed units. We will also continue to work our way though Apples and Pears for spelling unless there is a miracle between then and now and the child can finally spell.  :huh: Literature to be determined.

History: Heck if I know. 

Fine Arts: Continue to draw, dance and play piano.

It seems like it should be more complicated than that, but that is pretty much what we do now and it uses up a fair amount of time.

Edited by ZaraBellesMom
  • Like 1

I am normally planning (and buying) for next year already, but not this year. Still in survival mode, mostly due to eldest.

All I know for my older middle-grader is that we aren't doing explicit grammar. We are doing spelling (again, possibly forever). We'll just keep going in math with whatever level she'll be at. We'll probably still be working on First Form Latin. She'll be doing more independent stuff than this year except for spelling & math.

• Like 1

I still haven't picked an earth science for now.  DD will be ready for it next month.  I do have some things picked for next year.  I can't believe that I will have 2 middle grade students next year.  I didn't realize that until I was reading the posts in this thread.

7th grade:

Language Arts: probably some combination of WWS and Lively Art of Writing, possibly literature from Kolbe Academy, R&S English 7

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts and ?

Science:finish earth science and start life science?

History: Connecting with History volume 3, which includes high medieval, renaissance, reformation, and early exploration

Faith Formation:  ?? We'll have finished the catechism series we are using so I'm not sure what we will do for the last two years before high school.  It will include Bible reading in some form (probably doing studies of a few books) and books written by the saints.

Latin: ??

Spanish:??

5th grade:

General: finish HOD BHFHG with 3rd grade sister, then either MFW ECC or HOD PHFHG

Language Arts: R&S English, AAS, and writing (maybe Writing and Rhetoric)

Math: Singapore Math

Faith Formation: Bible, saint stories, Baltimore Catechism

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

I'm editing my plans a little.  

I'm teaching two groups.  6th grader will do everything with 3rd grader, except math and language arts.  Group 1 (6th grade and 3rd grade):

Math (6th grader - I want to add that this is a very young 6th grader): continue with Beast Academy

LA (6th grader): Intermediate Language Lessons,  Fix-It Grammar, All About Spelling 

Bible: The Action Bible

Art: Artistic Pursuits Middle School books

French: Ecoutez Parlez

Beyond Five in a Row (starting with volumes 2 and 3)

Group 2 (8th grader and 9th grader combined for everything, except math)

Edited because: They didn't like those plans, either!!   :mellow:  Teenagers!

Edited by Evanthe

I'll have a 7th grader. I'm undecided on a couple subjects but have generally mapped things out:

Math: either Geometry (not AOPS) or AOPS Algebra B and Beginning Number Theory

Science: either Earth Science or Conceptual Physics

Literature: Lightning Lit 7 and 8

Grammar: finish R&S 8, go through Rex Barks

Writing: WWS2

Latin: Latin 1 with Wheelock's

Chinese: Chinese 2 with Integrated Chinese Level 1 part 2 (maybe start Level 2)

History: WTM style Medieval History

Trying to decide if I can squeeze in some sort of beginning computer programming course....

My son will turn 12 right around the beginning of the school year, for my purposes he will be 6/7th, although 6 for extra-curricular activities due to local cut-offs. I haven't thought a ton about it yet as we're still in the throes of this year and have been plenty busy but I have a few ideas.

Math- Arbor School Algebra

Composition- Coverstory and/or Blackbird Composition- Family work- BW/Writer's Workshop

Grammar-Fix-It(covered with writing as well)

Spelling- Apples and Pears D----> MegaWords I had hope to finish it this year along with C but it looks like we'll only get a bit of D done, we'll move onto MegaWords after D

Science- First Lego League- Fall-Animals is the theme for next year; Plato for the spring-maybe- This year we worked on a separate science in addition to FLL, I've decided that is too much, with all the research and work he and the team did it is sufficient enough to count for science, at least for the first half of the year when they are actively working on it

History- no idea- independent - maybe his first online class- or something I can try to group the kids together with

Not sure about anything else, may add latin or another language. May have him do a programming class, although he spends so much time with FLL, Scouts and TKD not much left.

Edited by soror

I'll have a fifth grader next year. Plans are:

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 1 Dialectic (using K12 Human Odyssey and OUP The World in Ancient Times as spines)

Language Arts: Writing and Rhetoric 3 & 4, Kolbe literature, Junior Analytical Grammar/Mechanics, Growing Your Vocabulary B, All About Spelling 7

Math: Singapore Standards 6 (Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals and Percents for fun)

Science: Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage

Latin: Lively Latin 1

Art: ARTistic Pursuits 4-6 Book 1

He'll also be doing TedEd Club again and may be starting an instrument. Oh, and he'll cross over to Boy Scouts next school year as well.

Edited by Kathryn

I am thinking about 6th grade next year. I thought maybe I should first decide how many hours I should expect DS to study a day and then back into it. He wants to double up in math (basically do geo and c&p), which mean 2.5 hours on math. WWS2 online, and French will add another 1.5 hours at least. I think we will devote an hour to science and work on all three sciences different days. It's not leaving us a lot of time for anything else.

How many hours per day do you expect your middle schooler to devote to academics not counting reading?

I pretty much know what my then 6th grader will use:

LA - McGraw Hill Treasures (have Holt Literature on standby as his brother used this, but I believe he will still need the supports that Treasures has) supplemented with novel studies of my choosing.  Treasures contains comprehension, spelling, grammar and writing.

Math - Envision Math 6 or Glencoe Math Course 1 (Brother skipped this year and went to Course 2, but this one is a little weak in math and might still need the slow tempo of Envision)

Social Studies - Scott Foresman World History (same as brother)

Science - Glencoe 6th grade

Spanish - Holt Avancemos 1 (first 4 of 8 units, brother is doing entire text this year - High School text)

My then 8th grader:

LA - Holt Literature 8 supplemented with Memoria Press Novel Studies

Math - AoPS Algebra (same chapters as online course - not entire book) [AoPS PreA currently]

Social Studies - This is challenge - see below [World Geography via Discovery Education currently]

Science - Glencoe 8th grade

Spanish - Holt Avancemos 2 (High School Spanish 2) [Course 1 currently]

Social Studies conundrum.  I want TWO courses for 8th grade:  U.S. History - local district goes to Reconstruction, but want through Modern and a Civics/Economics course with a little personal finance/career education thrown in.  Can't figure it out how to make it work.  Been looking at 8 weeks Civics/8 weeks Ecominics/16 weeks US History to Reconstruction, but feels really rushed.  

Electives - This year is Art (3x a week) and Health/Current Events (2 days a week). Next year would like to continue Health & Current Events and have Programming as the main elective (quarter each of MS Office and Typing, HTML and Web Development, Python and/or Javascript coding. Last quarter can be personal finance/career exploration).  Art will be added as Social Studies projects. Health is a one day a week joint class. Music is piano lessons. PE is Scouts and fun. 

We currently school 6.5 hours a day (including 30-minute lunch, read aloud, silent reading, and all "classes" with me and independently)

My DD is in 6th next year.

Most everything is up in the air...

I am planning a journal project which will cover science and... Probably poetry and creative writing.

I'm thinking some philosophy (homeschool adventure co) and logic (fallacy detective?)

Probably MCT voyage stuff, though we'll be finishing C1E part 2. I really like the look of RFWP's Latin and I think DD will too.

Finishing waring's RRR for history, middle ages, and possibly plague pbl from RFWP.

Spelling will likely be spelling by sound and structure.

Maths, plan to finish LoF pre-a series, have a run through Beast Academy 5 when it's out and probably Jousting Armadillos.

But I dunno really. Dd and I need to talk it over and I'll have a planning week early Jan...

I am thinking about 6th grade next year. I thought maybe I should first decide how many hours I should expect DS to study a day and then back into it. He wants to double up in math (basically do geo and c&p), which mean 2.5 hours on math. WWS2 online, and French will add another 1.5 hours at least. I think we will devote an hour to science and work on all three sciences different days. It's not leaving us a lot of time for anything else.

How many hours per day do you expect your middle schooler to devote to academics not counting reading?

I aim for 5-6 hrs of academics per day (not counting reading) for my middle schoolers. For us that's enough time for rigorous academics, but also leaves sufficient time for music practice, sports, and downtime. 

• Like 2

Here's the tentative plan for next year with my 7th grader:

Math:  Saxon Algebra 1/2 supplemented with some AOPS/Math Olympic stuff 

LA:  Group IEW class supplemented with other literary forms and assignments

Science:  Co-op

History and Geography:  North American history, world geography

Latin:  Cambridge Latin Course with tutor

Music:  Violin, concert band, music theory

P. E.:  Soccer, swimming, tennis, skating, skiing, and various other sports

I typically do curriculum or schedule adjustments through the year, because we school year round. So, for us, middle school is likely going to be just a blend from our current 6th grade into 7th and 8th.

My very likely to be adjusted middle school plan:

Math: Arbor Algebra, Singapore FAN math until we run out of levels (likely this year), CLE, and Problems without Figures thrown in.  I hope this takes us through Algebra I. I don't know where I'm going after that.

Composition: My best friend and I are using a variety of resources to teach this in our own way. Right now I'm focusing on outlining and summarizing magazine articles and writing across the curriculum at the paragraph level using various tools--description, narration, examples, cause/effect, process, compare/contrast, argue/persuade, inform, define, and divide/classify.  At this point I plan to continue this until I feel we're set to move forward. I think I'll perhaps move to BraveWriters Help for HighSchool close to 8th. We'll see!

Grammar and sentence level composition/editing work: Grammar Made Easy, Fix It, Killgallon. One child is also doing CLE LA. It's doing him a lot of good so I plan to continue that with him.

Spelling: I'm using Spelling Power. I'm not sure where we'll go from there, if anywhere.

Latin: I'm going to add this sometime in the next year I think. I am leaning towards Getting Started With Latin Followed by So You Really Want to Learn Latin right now.

History: Journey Across Time as a spine, with some resources like Oxford Press and documentaries mixed in when I want to take a different track.

Science: So You Really Want to Learn as a spine supplemented with videos/books/other resources. At some point I want to incorporate parts of Science Matters. I'm not sure how that will come together.

Other: CLE Reading. Music, geography, and art based on CK, with various resources. I am doing some focused/direct vocabulary study right now which I may phase out or reduce when we start Latin.  I need to add something more formal for lit at some point, but I don't know when I'll change or what I'll use. Similarly, we're going to move out of our current resource for logic soon, and I'm not sure where I'm going from there.

We're doing a lot of memory work for a team based competition thing they want to do.  This year's material is especially tough and time consuming. Future years should be much easier. This is actually why I'm delaying some things I might otherwise do until next year. 

I think that's it. I'm doing this box system to review what we're learning in history and science. I plan to continue this practice to provide a spiral sort of review.

Edited by sbgrace

Here is my tentative plan, though I change my mind constantly..

8th grader    Math:  AOPS Intermediate Algebra, and he says he also wants to do Intro to Geometry

6th grader   Math:  AOPS Intro to Algebra, which she will probably start before this year ends

Together    Latin:   Visual Latin 2

Here is my tentative planĂ¢â‚¬Â¦6th and 8th grader together for all but mathĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

8th grader    Math:  AOPS Intermediate Algebra, and he says he also wants to do Intro to Geometry

6th grader   Math:  AOPS Intro to Algebra, which she will probably start before this year ends

Together  

Latin:                       Visual Latin 2

Language Arts :      MCT level 4; MCT Time literature; maybe some MP study guides; lots of good books

History:                   Notgrass America the Beautiful; with Lit for 6th grader and alternate lit for 8th grader

MP Geography 1 for 6th grader ; MP Geography 3 for 8th grader

Science:                  Either Elemental Science Physics for Logic stage (or maybe Exploration Education Advanced)

Co-op classes:      Whatever is offered, but 8th grader will at least continue with German

Sports:                   8th grader plays basketball 3 times a week

6th grader is a competitive gymnast, trains 5-6 days a week

Edited by GeoKitty

I'm scheduling the thinking about planning for Christmas break, and the actual working out of the plan in February. Or, to be truthful: Lordy, no! :laugh:

Probably just doing the next thing for next year, really. I know I'll be staying with CLE math, MP Latin and CW for writing. We'll be doing CW Poetry for Beginners part B in the summer. I already have my text and plans for the summer state history study. I know I'm doing Water and Oceans for science over the summer. I haven't even looked at history for next year, or science.

• Like 1

I'll have 6th and 8th graders.

Both:

MFW 1850-Modern (includes science for 6th grader, Bible, art, and music)

Progeny Press guides - 2 of the following: Screwtape Letters, Fahrenheit 451, Jane Eyre

IEW Early US History pt 2 writing OH CRAP WHAT HAPPENED???  This is suddenly discontinued?  What now?!?!?!

*** Advanced US History writing lessons is listed on the IEW website for grades 9-12.  Ummmmm..... help?

8th grader:

R&S grammar 8

CLE reading 8

Saxon Algebra 1 with DIVE 

Apologia Physical science with notebook

Likely continuing CLE Home Ec. - spreading this over 2 years

***I need a foreign language curriculum for someone who doesn't speak a foreign language, and that will be good for high school credits.  DD is deciding what language - either French or Spanish

Need something for Logic - has recently done Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

Competitive gymnastics, hopefully will be training L8 by then.  Likely practicing 5x/week.  

Possibly choir, either children's or community, depending on gym schedule in the fall.

6th grader:

CLE math 600

CLE reading 6

R&S grammar 6

R&S spelling 7

Logic... probably more perplexors/grid perplexors.  Considering doing Thinking Toolbox a year earlier than I did with ODD - Wait, what am I thinking?  I did do TT with Rebecca in 6th!  My BABY is going to be in 6th grade!

Really, really want her to have some kind of computer programming course.  I couldn't afford it this year.

Children's choir, both semesters

Edited by Mommy22alyns