Menu

S/O Who's Planning for Next Year Middle School?

Well my youngest (7th grade next fall) is easy to teach, so we'll probably use what I already have around.  No definite plans yet.

AO yr. 7  (not using their science and only parts of the history.  Adding some BF Middle ages into it

Finish IEW SCC-B with older brother. 

Math-Probably Pre-algebra.  

BJU Life Science....probably.  I didn't really care for Apologia General, but he actually think it looks "fun"?  (I'm thinking that might just mean "easy"...)

Rod and Staff English 7

Wordly Wise -may let this double for spelling since he's a natural speller and his spelling prog. is done with

that's all I've got for now.  I want to add more art/music to AO.  We've been doing Latin this year but haven't gotten very far.  Older brother may be taking Spanish or French with a tutor for high school and I may see if they can both do that.

Plus all the extracurriculars that we always do.

• Like 1

We have come to the point where all my not-so-supportive family has started voicing their opinions again, as well.  They got quiet for awhile there, but now they are back.  Clearly I can not expect to homeschool anymore?  *sigh*  I admit though, it gets in a persons head.  I have so many doubts flying around right now that I am putting off planning until I can think a bit more clearly. 

:grouphug:  If this is the way they are, refuse to engage. I learned from WTM - "Mmm. That's nice. Please pass the bean dip." (I have never actually seen been dip. I learned that this meant to change the subject completely. I had to learn to do this with FIL about politics in particular. Frustrates the heck out of him. He still "says his piece" to try to get under my skin, but is now met with a placid 'dumb' look on my face & a "pass the bean dip" type comment.) You aren't going to change their mind, so stop giving them the satisfaction of thinking you are even remotely listening to them.

Again, many hugs! I know the "I can't do this" voice in my own head is enough to  :svengo: sometimes, so it really hurts to hear someone else being negative.  :smash:  You'll be okay, mama!

• Like 2

I'll have a 6th grader next year and the new year has me mulling our plans. Today, I am thinking:

Math: Abeka 6

Grammar: Abeka Language C

Spelling: (modified) Spell to Write and Read

History & Lit: Sonlight Core E (US history, part 2)

Science: Sonlight Science F (human anatomy)

Writing: mish-mash of IEW, BraveWriter, and Abeka

Piano, swimming, awana, 4-H dog project, and dog agility

Edited by Guest

• Language Arts: This year we’ve been doing a LA Loop.  DD loves it and would like to continue it next year.  Here’s what I’ve planned for that:

o   Fix-It Grammar 3 w/English Grammar in Use & parts of ELTL

o   Adventures in Fantasy

o   Paragraphs for Middle School

o   Excavating English

I like your plans!

I am curious, though, how much time do you allow per day for the LA loop? I do not know if that would work for us or not, but we might give it a go next year.

My middle schooler is my youngest child, and my sole remaining homeschooler. And she is lonely! We are most likely moving this summer, so if we end up in a better school district, she may go to ps for high school. So her 8th grade year (next year) will be spent making sure she is ready academically for that, especially w/ regards to reading, writing, and math.

Also, I have one generic semester for Landry Academy purchased (at a discount!) and will probably purchase a second semester so she can take a full-year online class. I do not know which class, though.

Tentatively, but I really haven't looked at things much to know if this is feasable or how it would work out:

Math--Finish Math U See Zeta. Singapore 5. Maybe MUS pre-algebra.

English--  

• writing--Jump In! and Classical Academic Press Writing and Rhetoric, books 4 & 5.
  • spelling--Apples book 2
  • literature--?? Maybe Lighting Lit 8. Maybe a lit list to go with history cycle. Maybe Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings (this has vocab, too, so an added bonus). Maybe some Progeny Press guides. 
  • grammar--Growing with Grammar 7 (finish), then GWG 8

History--SOTW 3 & 4 (read the chapter, complete the written questions, do the tests, do the map)

Science--Finish Elemental Science Earth/Space. McHenry's The Elements and maybe Carbon Chemistry.

Foreign Lang--So You REally Want to Learn Latin, finish 1, move into 2, unless we finish 1 this year. Then just 2. OR she may do a language survey course with Landry Academy. Or all of this.

Logic--????

Arts--??? continue learning flute, for sure, but whether it is just private study or an ensemble situation remains to be seen. She likes music theory, so we would probably continue that on our own (right now she does it in a music co-op).

She turns 14 this fall, and I will sign her up as a Venturing Scout. The place we may move has what looks like a well-established Crew right there! We will probably not continue with Girl Scouts.

Edited by LanaTron
  • Like 1

After weeks of obsessively looking at samples, debating over our plans, etc...I think I finally have it for the 8th grader.  

8th grader:

Summer:

Hands-On Equations with verbal problems book

English from the Roots Up

Writing with Skill 2

Positive Action for Christ: The Life of Christ

Fall:

Life of Fred Prealgebra

Komm Mit 2 (German program)

BJU Earth Science

Excellence in Literature

• Like 3

Working on a plan for my 6th/7th grader (late-Oct b-day so I still haven't decided what grade she's in...):

Math: Foersters Algebra 1 with Math Without Borders videos

Science: Derek Owens Physical Science

English: WWS 2 with WTM Academy, Homeschool Book Study JH Class, AG, Excavating English

History: Human Odyssey Vol. 1 (Ancients/Middle Ages), World History Detective, Book List

French: Undecided online class (any suggestions?)

Co-Op for full day of enrichments: Engineering/technology, lab science, theater, art, music, gym, etc. Specific classes TBD

Working on a plan for my 6th/7th grader (late-Oct b-day so I still haven't decided what grade she's in...):

Math: Foersters Algebra 1 with Math Without Borders videos

Science: Derek Owens Physical Science

English: WWS 2 with WTM Academy, Homeschool Book Study JH Class, AG, Excavating English

History: Human Odyssey Vol. 1 (Ancients/Middle Ages), World History Detective, Book List

French: Undecided online class (any suggestions?)

Co-Op for full day of enrichments: Engineering/technology, lab science, theater, art, music, gym, etc. Specific classes TBD

Middlebury is supposed to have the best online French class..and for any language really.

• Like 1

I'm still thinking about it, but 7th grade this year is going really well, so it will be some variation of this year's plan, I think: http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/seventh-grade-homeschool-plans

- Eighth grade - 

Morning Time

Math: see how far we get in MUS. He's in Algebra now, we'll see how far we get in 8th grade and I'll probably move on to something else in high school.

History: AO's Birth of Britain history reading plan

Science: combine reading Apologia textbooks with illustrating/drawing with written narrations + AO's science reading books 

Lit: Dante & Faerie Queene (discussion & writing with this)

Bible: finish The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study & Heidelberg catechism study

Latin: finish LFC Primer C, move into Henle

Logic: a formal logic program with DVDs

piano

- Sixth Grade - 

Morning Time

Math: MUS

History: medieval cycle

Science: undecided

writing tied to history & science

Lit: maybe Faerie Queene, too?

Bible: finish Heidelberg Study

Latin: Latin for Children B, moving into C

piano

I'm still thinking about it, but 7th grade this year is going really well, so it will be some variation of this year's plan, I think: http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/seventh-grade-homeschool-plans

- Eighth grade -

Morning Time

Math: see how far we get in MUS. He's in Algebra now, we'll see how far we get in 8th grade and I'll probably move on to something else in high school.

History: AO's Birth of Britain history reading plan

Science: combine reading Apologia textbooks with illustrating/drawing with written narrations + AO's science reading books

Lit: Dante & Faerie Queene (discussion & writing with this)

Bible: finish The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study & Heidelberg catechism study

Latin: finish LFC Primer C, move into Henle

Logic: a formal logic program with DVDs

piano

- Sixth Grade -

Morning Time

Math: MUS

History: medieval cycle

Science: undecided

writing tied to history & science

Lit: maybe Faerie Queene, too?

Bible: finish Heidelberg Study

Latin: Latin for Children B, moving into C

piano

We will be doing the Middle Ages next year too. Your idea of a deep study of one or two major lit pieces intrugues me! Details, please?!

• Like 1

Which study are you doing? The Starr Meade one?

We're reading one Lord's Day a week, looking up the references (sword drill!), and reading the corresponding chapter in Kevin DeYoung's book and the next time (we do it twice a week) in the Williamson study guide.

• Like 1

We will be doing the Middle Ages next year too. Your idea of a deep study of one or two major lit pieces intrugues me! Details, please?!

I was influenced by Brandy's article: http://afterthoughtsblog.net/2015/03/slow-reading-matters.html

My oldest is a reader, so I'm not worried about him being exposed to a broad range of literature, but I am concerned about him breezing through everything he reads without really noticing what's going on. 

This year we're doing only The Odyssey and The Aeneid, one book per week, and I have him looking for 2 themes (eating/hospitality and piety) and we talk about what that tells us about the characters. We share our favorite part, too. But it's not deep literary analysis - I just want him to slow down and notice details on these ones. I don't expect this to be his only time reading these books, just his first - so I want him to be left with the impression that he'd enjoy reading it again and again. 

• Like 1