Menu

Real (physical) books or e-books?

Sun

Digital books or physical books?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Digital books all the way. I rarely or never buy or check out physical books now.
    • Mostly digital books here, but I still buy/check out physical books occasionally.
    • We swing both ways. Digital, physical, whatever.
    • Usually physical books, but occasionally we buy/check out digital titles.
    • Physical books, please. We rarely or never buy/check out digital titles.
    • You'll pry my physical books out of my cold, dead fingers. We're never going digital.
    • Other?
  2. 2. Do you (personally) own an e-reader or have an e-reading app?

• Yes, and I use it for all or most of my reading.
    • Yes, and I use it for some reading.
    • Yes, but I rarely or never use it.
    • No.
    • I used to, but it died and hasn't been replaced. I don't miss it.
    • I used to, but it died and hasn't been replaced. I miss it.
  3. 3. Do your kids have e-readers or e-reading apps that they use?

• Yes, and it's their preferred way to read.
    • Yes, but they still read a lot of physical books (not including textbooks).
    • Yes, but they don't use them much.
    • No, but they want one, and we might get them one someday.
    • No, but they want one, but we do not plan to get one for them.
    • No, and they don't want one.
    • My kids are all too young for this to be relevant.
    • Some of my kids have one, and some don't.

I can't be the only person around who pretty much never buys or checks out physical books anymore. Am I? I loved physical books. I loved browsing book stores. I loved holding books and smelling them. Obviously, I loved reading them!

I'm really surprised how quickly this changed for me. I got my first kindle four or five years ago, and I thought it would be convenient but didn't expect to stop buying books. I was clearly wrong--I think I've only bought one physical book in the past two years. I love not having to fill half a suitcase with books for DS and me when going on a trip!

I also don't check physical books out of the library any longer. When I realized I wouldn't accrue fines on digital books, I shifted over. The first year or so was a little annoying because some titles weren't available or the library only had one digital copy, but lately it seems like my library gets many digital copies of pretty much everything.

I'm really enjoying not buying physical books. I don't have to try to figure out where to put them on already-too-full shelves, and I don't have to dust them! I've been slowly winnowing out the less classic or less worthy hard copies from our collection, and I'm excited to have some more space.

I really didn't expect to become this person, but here I am. Digital books all the way at my house.

• Like 4

We're a "whatever works" family, with the exception that school is physical only. We've moved more and more to e-books for pleasure reading/casual reading/library checkouts due to storage space and avoiding overdue and lost book fees.

• Like 4

I can't be the only person around who pretty much never buys or checks out physical books anymore. Am I? I loved physical books. I loved browsing book stores. I loved holding books and smelling them. Obviously, I loved reading them!

I'm really surprised how quickly this changed for me. I got my first kindle four or five years ago, and I thought it would be convenient but didn't expect to stop buying books. I was clearly wrong--I think I've only bought one physical book in the past two years. I love not having to fill half a suitcase with books for DS and me when going on a trip!

I also don't check physical books out of the library any longer. When I realized I wouldn't accrue fines on digital books, I shifted over. The first year or so was a little annoying because some titles weren't available or the library only had one digital copy, but lately it seems like my library gets many digital copies of pretty much everything.

I'm really enjoying not buying physical books. I don't have to try to figure out where to put them on already-too-full shelves, and I don't have to dust them! I've been slowly winnowing out the less classic or less worthy hard copies from our collection, and I'm excited to have some more space.

I really didn't expect to become this person, but here I am. Digital books all the way at my house.

No, you're not alone.  I could have written your post word for word.  I love everything about digital books.  I can't remember the last time I bought a "real" book for myself.  It's been many years.  My digital content on Amazon, OTOH . . . . ;)

• Like 2

I rarely use my Kindle.  I don't like the way the pages are counted, it's just not the same as knowing how much of the book you've read by holding it in your hand. I like having a physical book in my hand.. I like to empirically "know" where something was on the page (I backtrack often for clarification).   I can usually see in my mind's eye where it was on the page and which side it was on.

But, I do like the auto dictionary feature...and of course, you can carry many more books on one small device.  However, I don't read that fast and rarely finish one book while away traveling. 

I have one dd who owns one.  She' likes it okay...mostly for internet use though.

• Like 5

I've read over 60 books this year alone. There is no way I could store all of those physical books were I to buy them. I can't get to the library often enough to keep up with my reading pace, so I use a kindle. I read more now than I did before I had it. 

• Like 5

I am moving towards using my kindle more and more. It is much more portable and because I have a fire, it has it's own nightlight. Don't laugh, but that is a huge big deal for me. I do most of my reading at night in bed with a snoring dh next to me. Over the years I have owned MANY different types of reading lights and you just can't beat a kindle.

However, my dh is a librarian and there are a lot of books that are not available as digital editions so I will get the physical book in that case. I can also keep a physical book for a year from his library but an ebook is only available for a month. Sometimes, with a very big book, I need longer than 4 weeks. In those cases I get the physical book.

I rarely buy books (because my dh is a librarian at a major library so I can get anything I want) but very lately, I find myself thinking that if I did buy a book I would rather buy the ebook.

I also love that with Overdrive I can make a wish list, put things on hold, and check out book on my kindle without leaving my home. I am reading more and taking books out of the library more with Overdrive.

My kids don't seem to like reading on an e-reader although my younger has on occasion.

• Like 2

I have a kindle and also shelves and shelves of books.  I like the kindle for  the fact that I don't have much space left  for more books.  But I like to look back and ahead in various types of books, look at indexes, etc., and I find it difficult to go back and forth like that.  For reading a novel or if the price is much lower, I will go with e-books. But if it is informational in nature, I like the hard copy. It would drive me crazy to follow a recipe on an e-book.  But that's just me!

• Like 5

I have a Kindle app on my iPad and a couple dozen free or inexpensive books loaded, but I don't read them. I started one and only read a little of it. I much prefer paper books, holding it in my hand, turning the pages...and the SMELL of books. Of course if you read mostly e-books but miss that smell, there's always this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159184877/old-books-soy-candle-book-lovers-scented

• Like 2

I like to empirically "know" where something was on the page (I backtrack often for clarification).   I can usually see in my mind's eye where it was on the page and which side it was on.

If I remember correctly, there was a study done several years ago that suggested that learning happened more effectively when reading a physical book than when reading an ebook, and it was for this reason--being able to visualize where a bit of information was located on a page. 

Here's a Scientific American article about the phenomenon.

• Like 3

There are some books that really need to be touched and poured over others that are great reading on an ipad so I'd say we go both ways.  DD reads a ton online (fan fic) and on kindle app but prefers her fiction and even textbooks to be made of paper.  DS much prefers e-readers he can change the font size which help tremendously with the dyslexia. We all have computers or tablets/phones to read on.

• Like 1

I am moving towards using my kindle more and more. It is much more portable and because I have a fire, it has it's own nightlight. Don't laugh, but that is a huge big deal for me. I do most of my reading at night in bed with a snoring dh next to me. Over the years I have owned MANY different types of reading lights and you just can't beat a kindle.

This is the ONE thing that might persuade me to try harder to read e-books. Dh doesn't like my book light, even though I think it doesn't give off that much light. It even has a high/low setting and I keep it on low mostly. Sigh.

• Like 1

Are you me? Every word of the above is something I could have written.

I was one who said you can't curl up with an ereader (wrong), nothing will replace "real" books (wrong), ereaders are fine for some people, but not for me (wrong). It was dh's idea to get me a Kindle for my birthday about 5 years ago. He thought because I read so much it would be a great idea. That is one of the best gifts he's ever given me, and we've been together for 23 years.

I love not having fines for overdue books. I love taking my lightweight device on vacation with more books loaded on it than I can possibly read. Ebooks are real books. It's the words that matter to me, not the medium. Okay I take that back. I'd much rather read an ebook that a DTB (dead tree book).

I was always one to borrow from the library except in rare cases when I felt I really just had to own a particular book. For the most part though, I borrowed from the library. I still do, but now I borrow ebooks. I'm fortunate that our library system has a large selection.

My last holdout was cookbooks. Once I went over to the dark side, I still insisted I would not want cookbooks in electronic form. That changed when I got a Kindle Fire. I read most books on my Paperwhite, which for those who don't know is an e-ink device. I have cookbooks on my Fire so I can get them in color and more easily browse. 

Dh and ds also both have Kindles and both now read more than they ever did before.

Any reader who has ever had a cat, knows how they love to sit on or rub on books. My cats recognize ereaders as books. I tried to upload pictures but they're too big. You'll have to believe me when I say I have pictures of each of our cats sitting on my Kindle. :)

• Like 5

I voted "Other?". It depends on the kind of book. I love ebooks, except neither my old Kindle nor my Note II are very good for dealing with pictures/diagrams/tables etc. So, for fiction, I mostly prefer ebooks, and for non-fiction, I mostly prefer physical books. Also, for books to read to the kids, I mostly prefer physical books, but B did read some Bob Books that I got the kindle version for cheap for on my phone. So, anyway... it depends on the book.

• Like 2

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle paperwhite.  It goes almost everywhere with me.  I have about 500 downloaded books  from Amazon free on there.  I have only paid for 3 or 4 books on it.

For my Bible reading though I want my good old fashioned leather bound Bible.  I can visualize where certain verses are, easily flip back and forth between passages, etc.  I have tried a Kindle Bible and Bible app but don't like them.  I did buy a Kindle "read through the Bible in chronological order" Bible that I did like, but that was just reading it day by day in order, not Bible study.

For cook books, nature books, and other reference/nonfiction type books, I much prefer a paper book, esp. if there are pictures, diagrams, etc.

So, I do 95% reading on my Kindle (except my Bible reading) but I am not ready to give up my 5% in paper books for reference stuff.

For young kids though I still like paper books as they can flip through them, see the pictures, etc.  

I'm about 50/50 these days.

I love the feel of a book in my hands...turning pages....remembering where a specific quote is...I love physical books.

BUT

I'm getting tired of storing them. I have shelves and shelves and shelves...and less desire to organize, sort, and dust.

Quite a bit of fiction these days goes on the iPad Kindle app. I also love reading from that at night in bed.

If the book is a series and huge--think Outlander- those are definitely on the Kindle app.

Non fiction is more suited to physical books at the moment.

One thing I love about digital...I can buy a book right now. No driving to the bookstore, no waiting...just hit Amazon and go pick up the iPad. That is a dangerous thing.  :)

• Like 3

My fibro is predominantly in my hands and feet and when I have flare-ups in my hands my kindle is a lifesaver. Without it I would have to stop reading as I can't hold books open. But I still like physical books and bookstores and libraries are my happy places.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and *should* like e-books for the same reason.  But, I don't.  Sometimes I can't hold books, so I have to lay them open in front of me because they are just too heavy.  I would love to like an e-reader, but I just can't.  They are tricky for me to hold and poking the thing to turn a page just seems wrong to me.

Sorry that you have so much trouble with books, too; but, glad that someone understands that reading is sometimes physically painful.

• Like 2

I prefer not to spend even more time with screens than I already do.  I like physical books.  I have never read a book any other way.

My kids are 8 and while they would probably say "yes" if offered an e-reader, they are too young to have a say in the matter.  :P  They have thousands of physical books and access to many more in libraries.  There is just no need to add another electronic gizmo.

Kindle e-ink all the way (I have the voyage now). I wish they used a different name for the tablets. They really aren't similar and it just confuses people.

I read so much more than I used to. It is so convenient to read on my kindle and I really prefer it to paper books for books that are best read straight through. Reference is not good on it. I do about 95% of my reading on it and plan on getting my children their own when they are comfortably reading chapter books. I love that I can check out books so easily. I also love that if I buy a book, multiple devices on the same account can use it. I love that if I forgot my kindle and get stuck in a doctor's office, I can pick up where I left off on my phone. It is just a hundred times more convenient. It is also more comfortable as it is lighter than most books and easily propped up with one hand. Oh, and this way I only buy hard copies of the best books for my shelves and don't have tons of book clutter.

I believe that study linked above was referencing tablets, not e-ink readers. I really think there is a vast difference between them and comparing then isn't really fair. I didn't check the article so I might be wrong.

• Like 2

I want to own the book, not have a license to read it that may or may not be mine in the future depending upon the whim of the licenser.  I want resale value if I decide I no longer want to own the book.  I want to buy used copies to save myself more money.

As long as ebooks are as expensive as they are, I'll buy used and/or buy the physical copy.  I'm more likely to check an ebook out from the library than I am to buy an ebook to read, but I still check out paper books from the library, too.

When it comes to school, we're mostly a hard copy kind of family (again for the resale value), with the exception of something I might need to reuse/photocopy.  So, I buy the WWE workbooks, History Pockets, HO, RSO, etc in ebook.  Then I can print to my heart's content.

• Like 2

I wish I could go all digital but I think we are a long way from this. Most of our schooling is dependent and I'll read off a screen if I have to. I find it difficult to teach from a screen. And with LD it's hard to teach on a screen for what we need.

I love digital audiobooks though. Especially read aloud with words highlighted for DS.

Edited for autocorrect

Kind of funny...I got an ipad mini and realized that through the Kindle app, I could easily borrow books from my library! This was so awesome! It meant no more late fees...and I could browse my library any time and have a new book to read.

But, I stopped reading as much. I'd pick up my ipad to read a book and somehow find myself on Facebook or here on these boards instead. Something about the love of reading (which I've always had) seemed to leave me.

A few months ago, the unthinkable happened - I dropped my ipad on my tile floor and the screen cracked. I looked into repairing it, but the cost is almost as high as buying a new ipad...so not worth it. No more kindle app for me!

What I've found in these past few months is that I've started to enjoy reading again. I have read several physical books and it just feels different. For instance, I am currently working on my second read through of the Harry Potter series. I read the books the first time on my ipad and while I liked them, I didn't love them. This time, I am enjoying reading them so much more. And I think it's because I'm reading physical books!

Neither of my kids like to read on their devices (one has a kindle and they both have i-things). They both prefer physical books as well.

• Like 1

I do mostly ebooks.  I read almost everything on my Kindle.  The third one I couldn't properly answer.  My 15 year old prefers paper books.  She had a Kindle and uses it on occasion.  My 13 year old mostly does audiobooks, but sometimes, particularly in school, he does immersion reading with ebook + audiobook on his Fire (he is dyslexic).  My almost 9 year old has a Kindle and reads on that most of the time.  The 7 year old doesn't read much yet.

I have a Kindle app on my iPad and a couple dozen free or inexpensive books loaded, but I don't read them. I started one and only read a little of it. I much prefer paper books, holding it in my hand, turning the pages...and the SMELL of books. Of course if you read mostly e-books but miss that smell, there's always this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159184877/old-books-soy-candle-book-lovers-scented

Oh my! That is really funny. I do like the smell of books, but I'm not sure I'm going to order a candle for it!

Are you me? Every word of the above is something I could have written.

I was one who said you can't curl up with an ereader (wrong), nothing will replace "real" books (wrong), ereaders are fine for some people, but not for me (wrong). It was dh's idea to get me a Kindle for my birthday about 5 years ago. He thought because I read so much it would be a great idea. That is one of the best gifts he's ever given me, and we've been together for 23 years.

I love not having fines for overdue books. I love taking my lightweight device on vacation with more books loaded on it than I can possibly read. Ebooks are real books. It's the words that matter to me, not the medium. Okay I take that back. I'd much rather read an ebook that a DTB (dead tree book).

I was always one to borrow from the library except in rare cases when I felt I really just had to own a particular book. For the most part though, I borrowed from the library. I still do, but now I borrow ebooks. I'm fortunate that our library system has a large selection.

My last holdout was cookbooks. Once I went over to the dark side, I still insisted I would not want cookbooks in electronic form. That changed when I got a Kindle Fire. I read most books on my Paperwhite, which for those who don't know is an e-ink device. I have cookbooks on my Fire so I can get them in color and more easily browse. 

Dh and ds also both have Kindles and both now read more than they ever did before.

Any reader who has ever had a cat, knows how they love to sit on or rub on books. My cats recognize ereaders as books. I tried to upload pictures but they're too big. You'll have to believe me when I say I have pictures of each of our cats sitting on my Kindle. :)

Hmm...Interesting! I didn't mention it in the OP, but I also still use physical cookbooks. I didn't realize you could get color e-books for cookbooks. This opens up a whole new frontier for me!

• Like 2

This is the ONE thing that might persuade me to try harder to read e-books. Dh doesn't like my book light, even though I think it doesn't give off that much light. It even has a high/low setting and I keep it on low mostly. Sigh.

This is one of the many reasons I love my Kindle Voyage. The light on the Voyage and Paperwhite is different than on a backlit screen like an Ipad or the Fire. It goes much dimmer than the Ipad or my phone, and while those lights will still bother DH at their lowest level, the lowest levels of light on my Kindle don't bother him at all.

• Like 1

I love them either way. Some books just don't work well in a digital format. I don't borrow digital books from the library yet, so my library books are all physical. I still love to look in the used book store, the new book store, or the library and don't see that habit changing very soon. But, I do like the storage aspect of digital books. I do like the portability. I even like the anonymity of reading on Kindle better. I sometimes just want to read without external commentary brought on by people seeing the book cover. (Although it is true that I have also had people ask what I'm reading if they see me on a kindle.) it's not that I'm reading anything excruciatingly private, I just maybe don't feel like sharing some interest at the moment.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and *should* like e-books for the same reason.  But, I don't.  Sometimes I can't hold books, so I have to lay them open in front of me because they are just too heavy.  I would love to like an e-reader, but I just can't.  They are tricky for me to hold and poking the thing to turn a page just seems wrong to me.

Sorry that you have so much trouble with books, too; but, glad that someone understands that reading is sometimes physically painful.

I'm sorry it's a problem you face too. I wish it weren't, but it is nice to know others understand.

I really liked my old Kindle with page-turn buttons, but I never much liked my Paperwhite where I had to tap the screen to turn the page. It didn't like having to tap the screen, and it didn't like  to recognize my finger was tapping. I think it may be because I have unusually dry hands because it works fine for my mother. I recently got a Voyage, and that has solved my issues with the touchscreen. The touch screen is more responsive, but there are also marked spots on each side of the screen where I can very lightly squeeze to turn the page. When my hands hurt, I lie on my side, prop the book up with some covers and can just barely squeeze the screen side to make it turn. It's much easier for me to read in bed that way than with a book, especially if my arms and wrists hurt.

• Like 1

I have found that while digital (or audible, for DH) is quite handy for sequential material like stories for other subjects it can be really hit or miss.  If the item is a reference or any sort of book where the reader will want to flip back and forth between sections a lot ebooks just don't do well as well as hard-copy books. 

There are a few other aspects of physical books that "win" over digital in my book (yeah, pun intended):

• physical books are easy to give or lend without requiring a specific platform on the recipient's end
  • I can find great deals in used book stores, but only in physical books
  • I can lay several books out on a table or desk and reference them if I have a separate physical "body" for each (be that a hard copy of the book or a device on which I can call up the ebook)
  • I can more easily make notes and mark places in hard-copy books
  • not everything I want to read is available in digital media
  • I can browse the shelves of libraries and bookstores and find neat things more easily and randomly than I can browse ebook seller's digital stores
  • I can shelve my hard-copy books the way that makes the most sense to me.  The ereader apps I've used don't have this capability yet, and my 1st Gen Nook's bookshelves are particular to that device (not accessible from another Nook).
  • The physical nature of books makes them easier to cull when needed, and even drives some urgency to do this periodically.  Digital books, on the other hand, might not clutter up the home like physical books, but they do clutter up our digital spaces and can be just as easily misplaced or forgotten.

Obviously there are advantages to digital books, too, but I don't think I need to sell people on that here.  I've never encountered IRL a digital-tech-literate individual who didn't see some usefulness in ebooks.  However, I have met a bunch of people who seem to think that paper shouldn't be made anymore and physical books are no longer needed.  All I can say to that is digital has not yet fulfilled every function served by hard-copy.  Until it does hard-copy will still be around.

• Like 2

I love my Kindle for:

1. portability, especially on trips.  

2. ability to enlarge and change the font (vision issues make this almost a necessity)

3.  ability to switch to audio book format on the same device (or do Immersion reading for my dyslexic kiddos)

4.  Ability to work read electronically sent business documents without needing my laptop

What I don't like:

1.  The lack of a feel for where I am in the book.

2.  No book smell. I miss the smell.

3.  The cool covers I can look at.

4.  The conversations that have begun because someone else saw the book I was reading and wanted to ask about it.

5.  The ability to quickly reference several locations and flip back and forth between then as I check something.

6.  And with reference material that includes diagrams and pictures I by far prefer the physical book.  Hands down.  Just too hard to see the stuff on a Kindle.

• Like 1

I read almost everything on the iPad because I can adjust the font size to something readable by my eyes. My kids think it is funny that they can read my books across the room. I think it is magical that I can read a new book without squinting.

Font size is everything. The kindle app and I are going to be buddies for a long time.

• Like 1

We are about half and half here.  Mostly I don't care one way or another.  We don't buy a lot of books anymore anyway, except for school stuff.  We have a lot of books and the library works well for most of our recreational needs.  There are two times I prefer the kindle to a physical book:  when traveling, and when I am reading a massive book.  The unabridged Count of Monte Cristo was not fun to read in bed in physical book form. 

My DH bought me a Kindle for Christmas in 2009. I didn't think I'd like it but I didn't know how to tell him. I bought a few books and found I preferred digital over physical. It really surprised me. DH still reads physical books but I only use Kindle. I even buy Kindle versions of physical books I already own because I don't like reading physical books anymore.

• Like 2

Physical books please.

I'm a non-linear reader (meaning I sometimes usually peek at the end, I go back to read an important scene over, etc) and I really can't do this on my Kindle. Drives me crazy. I also like to know how far I've read and how much is left ("1/2 inch" is more meaningful than "23%" to me). I will use the Kindle for trips or when it's much cheaper. Usually I just put hold requests on books I'm interested in at the library and wait to see what comes my way each week. I do have enough on my shelves that I don't usually buy books (but Harper Lee's is coming on Monday). And I never dust them, so that's not a consideration for going digital here!

• Like 1

I use both. I prefer physical books, but do I love checking out digital library books at 2am.

I want to add, I LOVE the kindle for reading long form journalism (get recs from longreads.com and longform.org).  

And *cough* fanfiction. 

You can just add a "send this to my kindle' button on your browser which makes it easy.

• Like 2

Ever since learning of the connection between LED illumination and macular degeneration. I have been unsettled about using my Kindle, iPad, and cell phone. My father has MD, and I do not want to develop same. When I use the listed items heavily, I distinctly detect my eyesight worsening. When I avoid these items, the sight strengthens somewhat.

50/50 here.  A few years back when I got my first nook, swore it'd be only for travel. Then discovered you couldn't turn on the dang things until reached a certain altitude and went back to having always having a paperback with me when traveling.  Saved on luggage fees though.  Didn't have to carry as many books.   I love ebooks now and there are just some books that I don't want to own or one's that have questionable covers that would make hubby's eye brows go up.    :lol:   

I go through withdrawal when I haven't read a physical book in a while.  I need to touch, smell, turn the papers, feel that weight in my hands. Just the whole process. It simply isn't the same with my ipad.  Plus I'm less distracted when reading a hardback or paperback.  Less temptation to stop every chapter and check my emails or the internet.  :leaving:

My non fiction has to be physical since I highlight and write  many notes as I read.  I can't study with an ebook, neither can my kiddo or hubby.  Physical books for lessons only. 

I'll never stop buying physical books which my teetering, tripled parked, bookshelves will attest too.   Which reminds me, I need more bookshelves.

• Like 1

I like physical books but e-books are so much cheaper and easier to store. I thought about my school textbooks and I will probably get both physical and e-books (I know expensive but I want to keep the e-book and sell back the physical book). Nursing books are not known to be light so I figure I will use the e versions for on the go studying.

Which do you prefer? Other.

Why? I prefer real books. But, I haven't purchased on in years. I am exclusive to e-books these days. The cost difference and convenience of purchasing and carrying e-books wins hands down. However, I do prefer real books. I just don't read them anymore.

You may pry my beloved real books out of my cold dead fingers. ;)

I have both iBooks and Kindle on my iPad, and no...just no. I want to hold the book, turn it over in my hands, smell it, and see it on my bookshelf. I am a bibliophile of the most old-fashioned breed.

• Like 1

Ever since learning of the connection between LED illumination and macular degeneration. I have been unsettled about using my Kindle, iPad, and cell phone. My father has MD, and I do not want to develop same. When I use the listed items heavily, I distinctly detect my eyesight worsening. When I avoid these items, the sight strengthens somewhat.

Do you mean Fire?  Because the Kindle ereaders are not backlit and are not in the same grouping as cell phones and iPads.  Some have no lights at all.  The Paperwhite and Voyage have LED lights to light up the screen from the edge, but they aren't shining in your eyes.  I'm not sure if you can turn them off or not.

• Like 2

Do you mean Fire? Because the Kindle ereaders are not backlit and are not in the same grouping as cell phones and iPads. Some have no lights at all. The Paperwhite and Voyage have LED lights to light up the screen from the edge, but they aren't shining in your eyes. I'm not sure if you can turn them off or not.

Yes, Paperwhite. If an LED light is on, it is going to affect eyesight. DH's company had Essilor as a client a while back, and I read information from their website which sent me on to additional reading.

Yes, Paperwhite. If an LED light is on, it is going to affect eyesight. DH's company had Essilor as a client a while back, and I read information from their website which sent me on to additional reading.

My Kindle Keyboard has no lights at all so I don't know how the LEDs on the PWs and Voyages work.

• Like 1