Menu

What's the WORST book you've read all the way through?

PeachyDoodle

Divisadero...by the author of The English Patient (which explains a lot)

Only read it through because it was assigned for Uni ...but I hated that thing..sooo boring and weird and loooonnnggg

The Richard Castle novels were terrible....but I was expecting them to be :D

My kids say Coraline...but we never made it through that one and I just noticed it is on my reading list for Uni in Childrens Lit...so I will now have to read it all the way through :(

Not sure.  I recently finished Portrait of a Lady, which was pretty bad.  Were any worse?  Well, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea might have been worse.  Yeah, it probably was.  I disliked Pilgrim's Progress too.  And Catcher in the Rye.  Though the latter 2 were read when I was young and clueless.  I might have liked them better after some life experience.  Who knows?

I actually liked some of the books mentioned above.  Wuthering Heights was one of my favorite books when I was a teen.

Ya know, I kind of liked Twilight.  Lol!  One website called it an "old fashioned bodice ripper"  which I thought Stephenie Meyer did well. The tension was there without bare flesh.  Also in her second(?) book, I think she nailed how a young girl can feel distraught/lost when her first love leaves her.  She was able to put into words similar feelings from when my first love dumped me.  But, it was the usual.  The first book in the series hooks you and then it goes down a steep hill.  Pretty much forced myself to read the last book.  Just freaking creepy and weird!  My vote for worst book is Breaking Dawn.

Wuthering Heights.  I had heard of Heathcliff over the years but didn't understand what people were talking about until I read the book.  The ability to portray evil without blood and guts is not something I think modern authors would be able to do.  Yeah, it is a depressing book and we hate the characters because they are weak, shallow, and incredibly selfish, but the book itself is definitely a classic.  I've often wondered what it would have been like to read it the year it was published.  

Hated Madame Bovary the first time I read it.  Actually liked it the second time.  It was still depressing with characters who are "weak, shallow, and incredibly selfish" (seems to be a pattern here), but again I was impressed with the author's ability to show these people and their very human weaknesses.  Seriously, we see modern folks making the same mistakes 150 years later.  

Watership Down.... Just kill me now. Horrible.

I also thought Because of Winn Dixie was horrible. It was like the book came after the movie (which I never saw but heard was cute).... and maybe it did, I dunno. All I know is that it was awful.

There is one decent chapter in Because of Winn Dixie.  And it is copied almost exactly from Mark Twain.

I'm so relieved to see that I'm not the only whose answer is Moby Dick.  I was just saying last night how traumatized I was by it.  The story of Ahab and the whale?  Great.  The rest of it?  UGH.  The only good thing out of it was that I really GOT The Wrath of Khan afterwards.

Wuthering Heights was pretty awful too.

I read Portrait of a Lady and I can't remember what happened.

I ditched Lovely Bones halfway through, so it doesn't count, but it would probably the the most hated thing I have ever read.

Never even wanted to touch Twilight or Harry Potter. Or 50SOG - does that even count as a book? I worked in a bookstore during the height of HP madness. Now you know why I hate it.

I think for the most part, I stop reading a book if I don't like it. The exceptions tend to be books that other people are raving about. I guess I feel like I have to get all the way to the end to see what all the fuss is about.

Twilight - I needed to know what the big deal was, and even after reading it I still don't get it at all. It was horrible, poorly written and basically no plot.

50 Shades of Gray - I know, I should have known better, but a friend told me it was amazing and we usually like the same types of things. I honestly read to the end because I was amazed and shocked that anyone could write that badly and get published...not only published but made into a movie.

The Fault in Our Stars - Not a single tear was shed. I thought I must be heartless, everyone cried a river over this book, but it was just blah.

Inkheart - I remember thinking that it could have been so much more interesting. I'm not a fan of stories where someone has an amazing ability but they're afraid to use it, and even when they do use it, nothing that amazing happens. That was basically the whole plot of Inkheart.

Twilight.  I slogged through all four books just to see what happened, but I could hardly stand to read Stephenie (ugh, even the spelling of her name makes me mad) Meyer's writing by the end. 

There's a strange trend among some Utah Mormons of feminizing the father's name to create a daughter's name.  This is often done with an -el.  For example, I had a friend named Jayel with a father named Jay.  Stephenie Meyer's name is spelled like that because her father is Stephen.  Her parents 100% meant to misspell Stephanie that way.

• Like 1

Cloud Atlas definitely.  I didn't get very far and thought maybe it was just my mood at the time.  I haven't tried again.

I refused to read the last book in the Divergent series.  I had seen a teaser about how it ended, so I looked up some reviews and I refused to read it after that.

I refused to read The Fault in Our Stars and Fifty Shades.  In general, I dislike extremely sad tragic books.  Jodi Picoult - read a couple of hers and HATED the endings.  My Sister's Keeper comes to mind.

I LOVE a bunch of the ones people hated - The Book Thief (probably wouldn't have picked it myself but it was for a book club), Hunger Games.

Me & Emma

The 'shocking twist' at the end just pissed me off. Two little girls horrifically neglected and abused. I only kept reading because I wanted to get to the part where they were rescued or something good happened. But no, it turns out the little sister Emma doesn't exist! She just a figment of other girl's traumatized mind. So lots of terrible things happen, then shocking twist: it was worse than you thought! The End

I've never had a book make me angry like that.

Like several others, I rarely waste my time finishing anything I don't really like. Too many books and too little time. However, the one book I can remember that I did complete, and hated, is White Fang. I read it because my oldest dd thought it was amazing. I thought it was depressing and boring.

Moby Dick.  I had high hopes for it in the beginning--when Ishmael meets Queequeg is hilarious, for example.  And then they went to sea and NOTHING HAPPENS.  And they sail around some more and NOTHING HAPPENS.  Finally after 8000 pages, in the last chapter, SOMETHING HAPPENS.

How that can be a classic is beyond me.

• Like 8

Books I loved!!!

(Pssst. Plansrme, looks like we are polar opposites in reading tastes. Since I love the ones you hated, maybe the ones I hated would be ones you would love. :lol: )

So tell me what you hated, and I'll put them on my must-read list!

A lot of my least favorites have been mentioned already.

Billy Budd (worst high school "classic")

Divergent trilogy (a suggestion from a friend)

Twilight (a suggestion from my sister)

The Lovely Bones (a suggestion from my mom)

I think I need to quit reading suggested books.

My own contribution to the list:

Apt Pupil by Stephen King

I felt like I needed bleach for my brain after that one.

• Like 1

The Historian. It wasn't terrible all the way through, but the ending was so spectacularly bad that the entire book felt like a waste. It was like a 800 page build up to the lamest ending ever.

Jane Eyre is one that I didn't enjoy, but kept reading because I was waiting for the thing that everyone seems to love about the Bronte sisters. I never loved it.

• Like 2

A few random ones I haven't seen anyone else mention:

Bridge to Terabithia

Please.  Can we just stop giving awards to children's books about death just because they're about death?  Particularly when they aren't even done well?

Sons and Lovers

Yeah.  Lot of sexual tension.  Then some actual references to sex that are decidedly unsexy.  And a lot of whining.

Which I get confused with:

Fathers and Sons

but maybe I never finished that one, so it can't properly be on this list.

A lot of classics that other people loathe (Moby Dick, Wuthering Heights, Grapes of Wrath etc) -- while I can't say they were my favoritest book ever, they at least had SOMETHING going for them.  Some decent writing, some interesting themes buried in a lot of slog.  Or they were historically important. 

I'm in the middle of Wings of the Dove right now and trying to decide whether to finish it.  A lot of the sentences just don't make sense.  And a lot that do are just repeating what was said in the last 6 paragraphs.  And a lot of boring stuff.  But unfortunately there's the occasional really insightful comment in a sentence I can understand. 

Loved:

The Red Tent

Silas Marner

Great Expectations

Wuthering Heights

Hated:

The Catcher in the Rye

My husband kept trying to tell me about what the book "meant" and all I could think was: Holden Caulfield is every kid who hated me in high school and college.  I just couldn't find one redeeming thing about it. Ugg 

Divisadero...by the author of The English Patient (which explains a lot)

I didn't like The English Patient either. But, I read his book The Cat's Table & loved it.

So tell me what you hated, and I'll put them on my must-read list!

Wuthering Heights

Perfume

The Lovely Bones

Some others that I also really, really disliked:

The Poisonwood Bible

Ahab's Wife

The Red Tent

Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood

The Blind Assassin

Love in the Time of Cholera

Kabul Beauty School

The Music of Chance

Magical Thinking

The Nanny Diaries

The Hours

A Reliable Wife

The Alchemist (Coelho)

And, there are lots that I disliked so much that I quit reading them before finishing, including:

A Visit from the Goon Squad

Cutting for Stone

The Looking Glass Wars

The Ballad of Peckham Rye

The Hunger Games

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Three Cups of Tea

Twilight

Mansfield Park

11/22/63

American Psycho

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Howard Fry

Watership Down

Middlemarch

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

• Like 4

Pillars of the Earth - it was so long and boring. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen but it never happened.

Hey, now!  I really liked that book!  Lots of interesting things happened, like... um... well... I will have to re-read it to find one, but I'm SURE there's at least one interesting thing somewhere in that book. :D

• Like 2

I didn't like The English Patient either. But, I read his book The Cat's Table & loved it.

Wuthering Heights

Perfume

The Lovely Bones

The Poisonwood Bible

Ahab's Wife

The Red Tent

The Blind Assassin

Kabul Beauty School

The Music of Chance

Magical Thinking

The Nanny Diaries

The Hours

A Reliable Wife

The Alchemist (Coelho)

And, there are lots that I disliked so much that I quit reading them before finishing, including:

Cutting for Stone

The Looking Glass Wars

The Hunger Games

Three Cups of Tea

Twilight

Mansfield Park

11/22/63

American Psycho

Watership Down

Middlemarch

Wow...........  

I'm interested in your "really, really disliked" reading list.  I've read all but two, and these are the types of books with which I relax.  (So I am now in search of Kabul Beauty School and The Music of Chance.)  Thank you!!!        

P.S. I agree with you on Ahab's Wife.   ;)

• Like 3

I'm interested in your "really, really disliked" reading list.  I've read all but two, and these are the types of books with which I relax.  (So I am now in search of Kabul Beauty School and The Music of Chance.)  Thank you!!!        

:lol:

Hope you enjoy them!

• Like 1

Mostly, every single book I have had to read for book club.

I am STILL waiting for a modern fiction book that I actually like. There are a few I tolerated, but that's about it. (Can I start my rant about the publishing industry?)

If you dislike modern books, why waste time being in a book club?

Inkheart - I remember thinking that it could have been so much more interesting. I'm not a fan of stories where someone has an amazing ability but they're afraid to use it, and even when they do use it, nothing that amazing happens. That was basically the whole plot of Inkheart.

It had so much potential. I *love* that genre. But no...

Wuthering Heights

Perfume

The Lovely Bones

The Poisonwood Bible

Ahab's Wife

The Red Tent

The Blind Assassin

Kabul Beauty School

The Music of Chance

Magical Thinking

The Nanny Diaries

The Hours

A Reliable Wife

The Alchemist (Coelho)

Cutting for Stone

The Looking Glass Wars

The Hunger Games

Three Cups of Tea

Twilight

Mansfield Park

11/22/63

American Psycho

Watership Down

Middlemarch

Well, drat!  I also hated a number of these.  I couldn't get through Elegance of the Hedgehog, either--I had completely forgotten about that one.  I liked Cutting for Stone, though.  Hmmm, maybe I need to take some more time with your list.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Moby Dick.  I had high hopes for it in the beginning--when Ishmael meets Queequeg is hilarious, for example.  And then they went to sea and NOTHING HAPPENS.  And they sail around some more and NOTHING HAPPENS.  Finally after 8000 pages, in the last chapter, SOMETHING HAPPENS.

Exactly! In the beginning, I started thinking, "Hey, this book isn't so bad. What's all the hate about?" Then I continued on. Ugh!

The Time Traveler's Wife. Just stupid and pointless.

I forgot about that one. I read it for book club and hated it. Most of us in the group did, even the person who chose it, so I wasn't alone.

I love, love, love The Grapes of Wrath. It's one of the few books I like to reread. I forgot about The DaVinci Code. Actually anything by Dan Brown. I don't like his writing at all.

Never tried Fifty Shades of Grey. Never wanted to. Read the entire Twilight series due to peer pressure. The only reason I don't think it was a waste of time is that now I can rant about how awful it is. :)

I thought my multi-quote included the person who hated The Historian, but I guess I didn't. Anyway, I tried but couldn't even finish it. 

For the most part, I feel no pressure to finish a book I'm not enjoying and have several on my "abandoned" list. Sometimes I'll continue if -

-it's for book club and I want to be able to discuss it (though there were a few I didn't bother to finish)

-it's a classic and I want to read the whole book to try and understand why it's a classic

-it's a book everyone loves and I want to see what the hype is all about (This is rare, and is the kind of book I'll put down quickly. Occasionally I read all the way through though).

To The Mill on the Floss haters: Oh no! loved Middlemarch and Daniel Deronda, even through the ramblings. I want to read more Eliot. Adam Bede or Silas Marner were next on the list, but The Mill on the Floss was also a contender. Now I'm not so sure. :(

Someone mentioned Don Quixote early in the thread. While I didn't hate it, it took me more than a year to get through it because I kept putting it down for long periods at a time. There were times when I loved it and times when I was scratching my head thinking, "This? This is beginning of the modern novel? What?" In the end I neither loved it nor hated it. I can somewhat see why it's a classic but for the most part I found it incredibly repetitious and boring.

• Like 1

My issue with the davinci code and all of his books is that the author never seems to know how to end the story. I find the characters fascinating but the endings always seem to fall apart and disappoint.

I didn't care for the lovely bones but it was not one of the worst books I ever read.

Anything by Jodi Piccoult I find unbearable.

• Like 1

The Great Gatsby.  Unfortunately, I have had the displeasure of having to read that book about 4 times.  I hate that book.  Hate is not a strong enough word.  I really don't like the author's style of writing in general either because I tried another one of his books and hated that one too.

• Like 5

I get how you could not like it. To each her own.

I think it is a classic because of the psychological changes that occur in the characters and what they learn.

I think it speaks to some sort of defect in me that I feel like I want to read some of these just to see if I agree with the consensus.

• Like 5

A toss-up between The Mayor of Casterbridge and Age of Innocence. 

Character makes a mistake, and has regrets, but doesn't learn from it. Fair enough, humans are stubborn. 

Character makes the same mistake, and has more regrets, but still doesn't learn from it. 

Character makes the same mistake, weeps with regret, and reader is convinced that they have finally learned from it. 

Character gets chance for redemption, and . . . oh dear god, makes the same bloody mistake, you have GOT to be kidding me! 

Not my style. "People are idiots who will never, ever learn" is a short sentence that does not need to be expanded into a novel. 

I love Age of Innocence but I like how Edith Wharton writes, she makes me feel like one of my older southern great aunties is whispering in my ear. :lol:

• Like 6

I get how you could not like it. To each her own.

I think it is a classic because of the psychological changes that occur in the characters and what they learn.

Maybe I am totally missing something, but I found the character development to be shallow at best.

I think it speaks to some sort of defect in me that I feel like I want to read some of these just to see if I agree with the consensus.

LOL

Not necessarily.  I find I often do not agree with opinions over movies and books.  Sometimes I read something others have hated and end up liking it.  Or they will tell me about this great book and I read it and I hate it.

For the longest time I would refuse to give up on a book if I was reading along and hated it.  I always felt like I had to finish it.  I don't do that anymore.  If I get midway and hate it, I'm onto something else.  Life is too short to read books I hate!

• Like 3

I also hated The Alchemist.  It was a book club choice and people either *loved* it or *hated* it.  There was absolutely no in between.  Also, Their Eyes Were Watching God.  Awful, terrible, horrible book.  Oh, and Little Women.  It's one of my mom's favorites.  I have no idea why.  I got very tired of being preached at by Louisa May Alcott.

• Like 1

I hated The Shack and Twilight. I read The Shack because I was so bored at a vacation house and that was the only book they had. I read Twilight because I promised my friend I'd give it a chance. I think I hated The Shack so much because it wanted to be profound and meaningful and it felt just wrong to me. I hated Twilight because I had to suffer through my friends' fawning over Edward and I wanted to be polite and it was so popular and I couldn't understand it.

I don't get the Edward love either. I don't care how "hot" (as described in the novel) is. That's not a healthy relationship.

• Like 2

I read the twilight series to know what all the hoopla was about. Despite the fact that I found the books awful I think the author did a great job of capturing teenage "I will die without him" angst.

As for Edward, sometimes I would get caught up in how romantic he could be bit then somewhere along the line I remember he is 100 years old. Ewww, gross, he is dating a child.

• Like 1

I read the twilight series to know what all the hoopla was about. Despite the fact that I found the books awful I think the author did a great job of capturing teenage "I will die without him" angst.

As for Edward, sometimes I would get caught up in how romantic he could be bit then somewhere along the line I remember he is 100 years old. Ewww, gross, he is dating a child.

And he sits in a teen girl's bedroom at night, watching her sleep. Ummm...no.

• Like 4

I also hated The Alchemist. It was a book club choice and people either *loved* it or *hated* it. There was absolutely no in between. Also, Their Eyes Were Watching God. Awful, terrible, horrible book. Oh, and Little Women. It's one of my mom's favorites. I have no idea why. I got very tired of being preached at by Louisa May Alcott.

What! Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of my favorites! Lol I agree with you on Little Women, but my vote doesn't count because I couldn't finish it.

• Like 1

I can kinda buy that if vampires are stuck at the same emotional maturity as when they "died." 

Who the heck would want to be a teenager forever?!?! AARRRGGH!!

• Like 1

I have started and dropped a great number of these books. Now I'm glad I didn't waste my time. 

I did really, really hate Lord of the Flies. That was for high school and I still get icky when I think about it. 

Forgive me, but I read Little House on the Prairie for the first time this week and it was lovely.. until the end. Why did they pack up and go? Why didn't they take the cows? Wait a few weeks to see if the soldiers were really coming? Why didn't Pa take the window glass? Who the heck does that, just decides to move and leaves the next morning? I realize this was a memoir from when the author was a child but good grief. I'm just so mad at Pa right now. 

• Like 2