Menu

S/O: When HOA people move to the country

Ottakee

I know there are people that really enjoy living in subdivisions and the protections the HOA provides for them as to aesthetics, safety, etc.

The problem comes when people who like that lifestyle move out to the country/farming areas and expect quiet communing with nature, etc.  Our county made up this brochure many years ago as this was becoming a big problem.  The city people didn't like the tractors running until late at night/early in the morning, didn't like the manure smells, "traffic jam" when the combines take over the whole road, etc.  https://www.miottawa.org/Departments/Planning/pdf/LandUseProjects/AgDisclaimer.pdf

We chose to stay in our township exactly because of their LACK of rules/zoning, etc.  There is still more than I might ideally like but not nearly the control that the neighboring township has.  Then again we have 5 acres, 2 barns, 3 horses, 11 chickens, 2 ducks, etc.

• Like 29

By the way, my dad lives in a gated rural community. It has the nuttiest HOA on the planet in terms of strictness. You can only paint your house one of a couple of colors to blend in so you don't realize you even have neighbors. You can only plant native plants except for a couple of special exceptions. It's probably a lot closer to what people are dreaming of.

Scratch and Sniff! :laugh:

When we lived in the country it wasn't a big farming area, though our one neighbor did farm soybeans. The area behind the neighbors across the street was a hunting grounds. And our street ended at the back of a state park. I fear we shall never find another such spot. It did have its drawbacks though--no public water. We didn't even have a good well so we had water trucked in and stored in a cistern. If we'd stayed there longer we'd have put in a rain catching system; we were surprised that the previous owner never did.

I love that! It's blunt and to the point but done in a good way.

I never would have thought that people moving to a farming community would complain about farming activities. Crazy.

My grandparents live in a farming community, and I've been surprised at how many people fleeing the suburbs have moved into the area in the past 15 years. There are these big McMansion-type houses next door to working farms - it's really jarring. And it's an hour and a half commute into the city, too. Haven't heard of people complaining, though. (Although on the other side of the coin, my mom wants to cry when she sees good farmland being parcelled and sold to housing developers :(.)
  • Like 6

We live in the country and from now until snow falls again we will have tractor loads of cow manure go past our house, the tractors will slow traffic (only irritates me when I'm stuck behind one and can't pass when I have to get dd1 to/from school). We live in a state highway and many people who come here from the city for vacation get very impatient and start complaining about it.... It's a never ending cycle

My uncle lives in an country(ish) area which is near a mushroom farm. The mushroom farm was in that location for over 50 years. 

A new housing development went up in that area. Lots of people moved in then realized they lived close to a mushroom farm (lots of stinky fertilizer). Several people then protested to get it closed down since it was close to a residential area.  :confused1:

Ridiculous!! 

• Like 3

Not quite the same as the mushroom farm, but almost: There is a train track running through the center of our town and one of the rail companies has a station downtown where they switch out engines. There is also a lumber company and a steel company on the tracks, so there are trains that stop at those two companies to drop and pickup cars on a daily basis. There was some land near the tracks that was undeveloped for years, while most of it was developed as the town grew up. A few years ago a developer bought the undeveloped land and put in a new subdivision. Guess what people who bought all of those new houses are complaining about? You guessed it - the train noise! You know - they make noise when they are coupled, they make noise when the engines are warming up, the crossing gates make noise, the trains blow their horns at all of the crossings. These people are actually trying to get the train company to move their station out of town! They are also trying to get the town declared a "quiet zone" so that the trains don't have to blow their horns at road crossings during the night. Needless to say, those who have lived here for a while have no sympathy with them whatsoever. 

• Like 2

We have a few neighborhoods like this.  I looked at them some.  They have all the characteristics of the master-planned neighborhoods in the city, down to the .15 acre lots and HOA; just in the country.  To me it defeats the purpose of living in the country to live in a community like that.  You live in the country to get a bit of distance between yourself and your neighbors.  Also, I would NEVER buy anything I would live in that has an HOA.

But personally, we compromised.  I do live in a "country neighborhood" of about 40 neighbors but our lot is not an ideal lot.  However, its 1 acre and has no HOA, and if I wanted a cramped horse facility I could have a horse.  My mom lives across the street and she owns 1/2 of the pond in the neighborhood.  Its okay, as far as it goes....but it is not our ideal.  We are still working on that one.  Still have issues with the neighbors....particularly them wanting to shoot their guns into my mom's property and their kids wanting to play in her pond.

Stefanie

Love it.  I live in a rural village, we are surrounded by farms, yup spring time has a lovely smell as thaw occurs.  Its funny our village has more danged rules and bylaws about what we can and can't do than I ever had living in subsidized housing in the city (and that has a ton of rules too).  a block over they have expanded the train yard, it is no longer a track running through town but an entire yard that now fills tanks with oil, they have been laying new tracks again this week.  We don't get much of the farm machinery in town unless they are going down the secondary high way, but on the main highway we get lots.  You can tell who lives around here vs people just driving on through based on how angry the driver looks at the combine driver.

My uncle lives in an country(ish) area which is near a mushroom farm. The mushroom farm was in that location for over 50 years.

A new housing development went up in that area. Lots of people moved in then realized they lived close to a mushroom farm (lots of stinky fertilizer). Several people then protested to get it closed down since it was close to a residential area. :confused1:

We lived for a few years near mushroom houses. Not too near, but if the humidity and wind were just right, it was unmistakeable.

A new housing development went up in that area. Lots of people moved in then realized they lived close to a mushroom farm (lots of stinky fertilizer). Several people then protested to get it closed down since it was close to a residential area. :confused1:

How infuriating.

Great brochure!  We get many of the same in our area and it's frustrating.  One group wanted our farming township to enact laws barring animal noise after 10pm and requiring that everyone remove all weeds from all pasture areas.   :lol:

Even if it had passed, none of us would have followed it.  How, exactly, do I convince my ponies to stay quiet after 10pm if they decide to whinny or get lovestruck then?  And removing ALL weeds from pastures?  Yeah, good luck with that.  And if you do spend oodles for the necessary herbicides, do you really want to graze your critters on it afterward?  (Not to mention runoff into public waters...)  Besides, I love dandelions and chicory.  Who decides what weeds are?

• Like 5

Great brochure! We get many of the same in our area and it's frustrating. One group wanted our farming township to enact laws barring animal noise after 10pm and requiring that everyone remove all weeds from all pasture areas. :lol:

Even if it had passed, none of us would have followed it. How, exactly, do I convince my ponies to stay quiet after 10pm if they decide to whinny or get lovestruck then? And removing ALL weeds from pastures? Yeah, good luck with that. And if you do spend oodles for the necessary herbicides, do you really want to graze your critters on it afterward? (Not to mention runoff into public waters...) Besides, I love dandelions and chicory. Who decides what weeds are?

This reminds me of the story I heard about a woman calling a radio station to express her view that a deer crossing sign should be moved because it wasn't a safe place for deer to cross the highway.

• Like 9

Not sure what manure smell they chose.....but after growing up in that area I can tell you that turkey is WAY worse than any cow or horse or even pig manure.

The couple on the right in the picture are friends of ours. They are now organic farmers. Www.shadysidefarm.com and have dried beans and wool and other stuff.

We are fortunate in that most farmers around us are blueberry and they are quiet:-) and smell free.

This is not about farms, but about people moving to an area, then complaining about something that is already there.  Where I grew up there was a small, private plane airport out in the middle of nowhere.   Then, housing got expensive and "the middle of nowhere" was being developed.  And guess what?  People started complaining about the airport.   I just looked it up and the airport is still there, but it looks like there are still people who want it shut down. 

• Like 2

The scratch & sniff manure is hilarious!

We live outside a small town in an area heavily populated with Amish.  They're putting in a new subdivision just down the road, right in the middle of Amish farms (yes, the former owner of the land deliberately did not sell to the Amish, some kind of animosity there!).  Someone put a sign up at the edge of the new subd, "Attention home buyers, This is a Manure Spreading Area!"  :laugh:  Probably won't deter anyone, but so true!  This is not a "high-end" area, it's rural.  You can build your nice house here, but expect to have buggy traffic, rutted roads, manure on the roads, and bad smells.  It's not "quaint", it's just real life here!

Off my soap box now.    :leaving:   

• Like 1

As a native Californian, I heard a lot about complaints from neighboring states that Californians would move to their states and try to California-ize them. Which was ridiculous because many of those same Californians were escaping everything they didn't like about CA.

This is one of the things that keeps me in CA. I would do my best to fit in and defer to local customs elsewhere but I don't want to be pre-judged and treated badly. I would have moved to do something different, not bring what I know with me. Sigh.

As a native Californian, I heard a lot about complaints from neighboring states that Californians would move to their states and try to California-ize them. Which was ridiculous because many of those same Californians were escaping everything they didn't like about CA.

I'm not native Californian, but I lived there for about 30 years before moving to Oregon. There was some animosity toward Californians, that's true.  I swear that I remember that drivers in Oregon were so rude - until I got rid of my CA plates!  Not sure if that is a valid memory though.   I'm not sure what people would or could do to make the state more like CA.  I do remember concerns that people coming in with lots of money drove up housing prices.   I found it to be refreshingly different from where I lived in CA. 

Don't Californicate Oregon!

Welcome to Oregon.  Now go home!

(But I left Oregon 8 years ago and don't know what it's like now.)

We run into this all the time. What do you mean? I have to wait for your cows to go down the road? And then leave manure that I have to ride my bike though! And why are the cows screaming? Don't you think it's mean to take their calves away from them? And why can't my little girl pet your llama--they're so cute! And my dog was just trying to play with the lamb--he didn't mean to kill it! And I don't get why your cows broke the fence down and ate all my petunias! Yeah, I know I've been feeding them grass clippings and then I stopped and I piled the grass on the fence but why did they have to lean on the fence???? 

you left out roosters?

oh, wow, farm fresh eggs. thank you so much. (buys incubator) when will they hatch?  (um, we don't have a rooster.)  huh?  :huh:  when will they hatch? :svengo:

you'd think an adut with children would understand the birds and the bees.  or the chicken and (no ) rooster.

• Like 4

I have always loved living in farm country. I love the smells, the horses "talking" to each others, donkeys braying, crows dropping pecans and almonds on the driveway and waiting for us to drive over it to crack the nut. Tractor noise does not bother me a bit any time of day or night.

When I see farm implements on the road, I only get wide-eyed if I have left the house too late and need to pass them quickly - but farmers are patient, laid back people who always pull over in this part of the world at least. :)

How can you not love this any time - even after 10 p.m.???  :lol:

Pesticides and Chemical fertilizers are not my favorite things...

• Like 1

You'd think that, but there is nothing a certain type of ex-Californian hates more than California than everywhere else. I know it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't make sense to us, either.

Oh, how they hate Seattle. I mean, I would also think, "gee, if you hate it so much, why don't you leave?" They don't like that the homeless people are allowed in the city and downtown. They don't like the "bad" weather. It's a temperate rainforest, did they lead you hear blindfolded at gunpoint? No? Okay then, moving on. They complain that house prices are high. Yeah, well, you know, everyone from San Francisco just sold their homes for twice as much and has cash on hand, how do you think we feel: our little homes were worth half as much. They complain that people aren't nice enough and take it personally. But you know, maybe people just mind their own business. The shows are too small. The nightlife sucks. Seattle has no culture. People have bad taste. The architecture is bad. It's a backwater. The schools are behind. People dress like slobs. Yes, people say things like this. You might think you never would, but you don't know how much it sucks here.

Now, my mother moved here over 30 years ago from California, so I know plenty of people who are from California who don't hate it. But nobody is irritated at her, because she came for a reason and she really does like it.

People don't judge Californians, they judge people who come here to whine. They thought Seattle or Portland would be this magical place where all their problems of California life (or like in the brochure, people who thought suburban problems ) would disappear, not to be replaced by new problems.

It is irritating, to be honest. Also people complain about our jardins anglaise. This, I have learned, is a common East Coast complaint. "Why don't you take care of your homes?"

If you heard how people hate it you wouldn't even want to live here. Or maybe people in California just like to complain? Honestly I have no idea. I suspect there's a certain class of people who just move around the country whining how nothing meets their standards. 

Even though my state isn't a neighboring state, where I live we have seen that type of attitude/behavior. Not really sure why. I will say that it's not just Californians, though, who engage in this type of behavior. I think the people who move to my area like the comparatively low COL, low housing costs, no state income tax (if they're from a state which has a state income tax), and have an unrealistic, idealized thought process about how things "will be". Then, when reality doesn't match fantasy, they begin to miss certain things about where they came from and begin to agitate for them.

• Like 3

We didn't used to have those kinds of people moving out here because we're really far off from any larger centres, but in very recent years, as some manufacturers have expanded and relocated, we've had new people coming in.  Most of them are general labour - blue collar families who have no problem with tiny town and rural life.  A few, though, think that they can just demand all zoning changes and it'll be automatically granted because ... you know... their huge new-build house looks so much better than the 100 year old farmhouse within line of sight of it, but they don't want to look at it, so could you make them tree it in more.  :glare:

My dh took out a half row of pines (which we sold for lumber) just to piss them off with an even clearer view.

I love that man. So much.

• Like 11

Our area had a dairy farm that had been in operation for generations.  A wealthy suburb kept growing until a HOA neighborhood was built right next to the farm and then the residents started complaining about the manure smell.  I didn't feel any sympathy for them. Did they think a dairy farm wouldn't smell?  Unfortunately, the dairy farm, surrounded by new subdivisions and busy roads, finally went out of business.

I heard about another family who was working to get a small airport shut down.  They had moved in from out of state and bought an extremely expensive house on a golf course in a beautiful neighborhood.  They had bought the house sight unseen and didn't realize that their house was in the flight path of the student pilots who use the airport. Unfortunately for them, the FAA is very reluctant to shut down airports. 

• Like 3

I'm stealing that sign.  Just letting you know. ;)

I love it too.  :)  

Reminds me of the story my mom told me......she was a 5th grade teacher in a very rural school.  There were two dogs mating outside the school doors....and some parent made a big fuss about it.  My mom was like 'huh?  These are farm kids, they know all about animals mating.  What is the big deal.'

People are so weird.

• Like 3

I love it too.   :)

Reminds me of the story my mom told me......she was a 5th grade teacher in a very rural school.  There were two dogs mating outside the school doors....and some parent made a big fuss about it.  My mom was like 'huh?  These are farm kids, they know all about animals mating.  What is the big deal.'

People are so weird.

We had to train our farm kids to be careful what they shared elsewhere.  Normal biology was always so... normal... to them.  It was never a problem with other farm kids - just the others.

• Like 3

I find this sort of thing so weird.  Especially the trains - I love train noise.

In my city we have recently had a lot of people moving to downtown condos and then complaining about loud music in the pubs and clubs.  These people of course wanted to live downtown because it has a lot of energy.

On the other hand, I think there have been legitimate problems in some cases where there have been farming techniques introduced which are outside of what has happened in the past, and it affacts the surrounding community negativly.  These people will often claim that complaints are by people who don't understand what rural life means. 

I love it too.   :)

People are so weird.

That is like my kids trying to explain to our new 11 year old foster son what a gelding was........and how they do it, etc.

• Like 3

I love that!  It's blunt and to the point but done in a good way.  

I never would have thought that people moving to a farming community would complain about farming activities.  Crazy.

Trust me...It happens all the time.

• Like 2

I love that!  It's blunt and to the point but done in a good way.  

I never would have thought that people moving to a farming community would complain about farming activities.  Crazy.

They made this brochure just for that reason.  A lot of people were moving out to the "country" but then complained about "country" activities, landscaping, etc.

• Like 2

Not farm noise, but during the week my husband works away and lives in the small town he grew up in. At the centre of it is a big very prominent medieval church. There were reports in the paper recently that people on a new housing estate kind of opposite and just a bit down the road had been complaining about the bell ringing. The local community told them where they could stuff their complaints. I think people can be bad at actually doing the research they need when moving to an area.

• Like 1

We live at the edge of the open desert, yet there are people complaining about coyotes, rabbits, scorpions and other critters that come into the neighborhood. Hello. They were here first. And you are providing them with food (cats left out all night and bushes for rabbits to nest in) and water (broken sprinkler heads).

I've never understood why people let their cats roam.   We used to live in a somewhat rural area, and could hear coyotes at night.  And, unsurprisingly, there were always a lot of "lost cat" signs up.  Once we saw a cat go tearing through the yard, then got a rare glimpse at the coyote chasing it.  We didn't see the end of the story.   But, I can imagine how it turned out...

• Like 1

We had to sign a statement acknowledging that we understood that we were moving to a rural community (we live in town) and there would be farm implement noise and rogue smells as part of our buyers' contract.

At the time ('99), I thought they might want to implement that for the mental giants who keep buying homes next to BWI and then trying to get flight patterns changed. Oy.

I see getting stuck behind a combine as notice that I need to shut the windows because there will be tremendous dust for the next week or so.

• Like 3

We are facing this issue more and more in my community.  We're primarily a fishing village but tourism is our town's main source of income.  Tourist (mostly from NYC) come in and love the place so much they decide to buy summer homes, but then when they do they complain about the noise and smell coming from the docks when the fishermen bring in their hauls.  I don't think they understand that sometimes- at low tide- the entire quaint, postcard-perfect village smells like seaweed and muscles rotting in the sun... never mind the fishermen's hauls.  And since we're surrounded by farms we also have many of the issues mentioned above as well- complaints about manure smell when the farms are fertilizing, the noises farm equipment makes etc.) I just don't get it.

Not farm/country living, but something similar happens when people move to Florida. It used to be really bad in the 1970's and 80's but you still hear it today. People, mostly from the northeast U.S. (sorry but it's true) would complain about how things are done here, how slowly we move, how much better things were back home, how things should be done, etc.. 

My family moved here from elsewhere too, but we understood the "When in Rome" saying and we, like many other transplants, adapted. It embarrassed me that so many of the complainers came from the same area as my family did.

There used to be a common bumper sticker that said, "If everything was so much better back home, just get on I-95 and go home."

• Like 3