Menu

Those of you in the north just won't understand

Bambam

but we have snow! snow! snow! here in Texas! People are so excited! Monday we had sleet and a little bit of snow. Everyone immediately rushes to their computer to post pictures on Facebook of the sleet coming down, the accumulation on the sidewalk, trees, roads, etc. Of course, you know *everything* outside of hospitals and WalMarts closed. Fast forward to today and again we have snow! More excitement! Again my FB feed blows up with comments about snow and pictures!

When you only get snow once every ten years or so, it is super exciting. The forecast calls for 4" of snow (practically unheard of here)! Of course, everyone announced closures yesterday just based on a forecast.

Now the downside is no one locally sells ice scrapers. So, last time (20 years ago), I saw people devised two methods for clearing their windshields of ice. 1. Pour Water 2. Use a credit card as an ice scraper. Since we had just moved from Virginia, I had a handy ice scraper and got to help out lots of folks. If I had a truckload of them, I could have sold them for $20 each!

I am sorry for those of you who have way too much snow and are tired of it. I remember those days. My kids have only seen and played in the snow a handful of times. They love it!

• Like 16

LoL, I remember the same thing happening in South Georgia. Dh and I refused to leave our house because we knew we would most likely be in an accident (we both learned to drive in Michigan and had only been away for 2 years). We actually rented out our snow shovels (we had 3) for $2.00 an hour (we only charged people we didn't know) and we let people use our scrappers.

Now the downside is no one locally sells ice scrapers. So, last time (20 years ago), I saw people devised two methods for clearing their windshields of ice. 1. Pour Water 2. Use a credit card as an ice scraper. Since we had just moved from Virginia, I had a handy ice scraper and got to help out lots of folks. If I had a truckload of them, I could have sold them for $20 each!

I believe both Target and Walmart had combination ice scrapers/snow brushes in stock a few weeks ago.They weren't the best quality, in my opinion, but they would do the job. I'd bet Auto Zone or similar places might have them, too, although there's probably been a run on the supply by this time.

Haha! I get it. It snowed when I was at Florida State in the days long before social media. That year was the one and only time it snowed in Miami. 

I was a senior living in an apartment with 3 roommates. People started knocking on everyone's doors at our complex in the middle of the night yelling, "Wake up! It's snowing in Florida!" All but the grumpiest people were outside at 2 am, tongues out to catch the flakes, yelling and laughing.

We got 2 inches and it paralyzed the city of Tallahassee. ;)

I totally get your excitement. :D

• Like 2

I know, right?!!!!

I just dropped my dd5 off at preschool for her one full day of the week, but am planning on picking her up at lunch if the snow sticks JUST so she can come home and play in it before it is gone:) Make hot chocolate and tell her snow stories about growing up in Northern Idaho, lol.

However, driving her to school was downright frightening. Not because of road conditions but because most Texans have no earthly idea of how to drive in snow. And many are too busy gawking or calling everyone they know on their cellphones to tell them that they are not even paying attention to driving:(

I will avoid the grocery stores today at all cost as people will be desperate to buy up bread, milk, batteries...generators:)

Giggle. I LOVE the snow!

• Like 2

I get it, because in a couple months when spring finally rolls around here, everyone here in MN will run outside and dance in the streets yelling, "Sun!  Sun!  Sun!"  Spring happens every year, but every time it still somehow feels like we haven't seen sun in a decade.  ;)

• Like 12

I get it, because in a couple months when spring finally rolls around here, everyone here in MN will run outside and dance in the streets yelling, "Sun!  Sun!  Sun!"  Spring happens every year, but every time it still somehow feels like we haven't seen sun in a decade.   ;)

We were doing that here last Sunday when it warmed up to 36!

• Like 4

lol, we've had one day above freezing the entire month of Febrary..yesterday was 8 below!

I am pretty sure my dh is responsible for the snow. He arrived in Texas on Sunday and won't leave until Thursday. I'll tell him to bring the snow back with him. I was so jealous when I heard he was going to Texas in February, but he says it has been dismal these past few days.

Have fun with it. In small amounts it is fun and I always think it is beautiful.

Just be careful if you have to go anywhere. Snow can be tricky to drive on, and if no one is used to it... :w00t:

I get it too. When we lived in TX it snowed at least once every year but if you didn't get out and play in it right away it would be gone. Even the big snows--3 or 4"--would be melting in a few hours and gone by the next day.

We've enjoyed the extremely rare snow day when we lived in MS and AR. We're in GA now and got about 1/4" yesterday--enough to make a few small snowballs. Supposed to get more later today. Schools are closed because it was supposed to snow early but now the forecast has put that for later. I wonder if school will be closed tomorrow too?

I get it, because in a couple months when spring finally rolls around here, everyone here in MN will run outside and dance in the streets yelling, "Sun!  Sun!  Sun!"  Spring happens every year, but every time it still somehow feels like we haven't seen sun in a decade.   ;)

We are northerners living in Texas, and we do this in the summer when it rains. Our neighbors probably think we're crazy because we never see anyone else running outside.

My kids were thrilled to see the snow this morning and have been playing outside for a while. All of the public schools were still on though.

I find it so much easier to enjoy winter when you know that it will be warm again soon!

I am in Northeast TX and watching giant snowflakes fall. I left Alaska because I didn't want to see that! LOL! I was promised mild winters. I'm not impressed. But my kids are loving it. So, I guess it's not all bad. I went to my little, small town grocery store last night, and there were, at least, six times more people there than I had ever seen before. It was madness. Winter storms in the south are a whole different thing!

All of you enjoy the snow.

Here in West Michigan I went cross country skiing with a friend this morning and it was BEAUTIFUL.  We skied down the trail to the creek and followed that a bit.  The snow was hanging from the branches and the SUN was out.. ......SUN that bright ball of light in the sky we rarely see.  We got back in the car and were both commented on what a beautiful day it was and how WARM it was......we turned the heat off in the car and cracked the windows..........then I started laughing as I looked down and it showed it was 14 F.  That is still 25 degrees above the -10 we had a few days ago.

I read a story awhile ago about a man in MA, where they have snow coming out of their ears. He is selling it on the Internet. $89 for 6 pounds and he ships in an insulated container.   I am going to tell my wife about this now. Just how creative Americans can be about starting a new business.

• Like 2

We are getting anywhere from 2-8" in Huntsville today. Mind you, it's 12:30 and it has not started yet, but already the entire city is shut down. :lol:

We went earlier and got a dozen Dunkin Donuts. We are ready.

It is a big deal!

I think the coldest actual temperature I have ever been in (without wind chill) was in Huntsville.   I believe it was -13 F.   My car started and I was a contractor (paid by the hour) so I went to work.  Most of their "direct" (permanent) Engineers didn't show up that day.   

I was in a motel near the Nashville airport once and I think it got down to -3 there that night.  

In the South, that is COLD!

• Like 1

Don't know where YOUR Huntsville is, TX? or AL? but OUR Huntsville AL is SUPPOSED to get a lot of snow.  It is just barely starting to come down now, but everything has been closed all.day.long.  Crazy.  Trying to decide if it's REALLY going to stick and be the Snowmagedeon they are predicting or not----

We have plenty of milk-and-bread, lol.

B

We are getting anywhere from 2-8" in Huntsville today. Mind you, it's 12:30 and it has not started yet, but already the entire city is shut down. :lol:

We went earlier and got a dozen Dunkin Donuts. We are ready.

It is a big deal!

I think the coldest actual temperature I have ever been in (without wind chill) was in Huntsville.   I believe it was -13 F.   My car started and I was a contractor (paid by the hour) so I went to work.  Most of their "direct" (permanent) Engineers didn't show up that day.   

I was in a motel near the Nashville airport once and I think it got down to -3 there that night.  

In the South, that is COLD!

Don't know where YOUR Huntsville is, TX? or AL? but OUR Huntsville AL is SUPPOSED to get a lot of snow. It is just barely starting to come down now, but everything has been closed all.day.long. Crazy. Trying to decide if it's REALLY going to stick and be the Snowmagedeon they are predicting or not----

We have plenty of milk-and-bread, lol.

B

Yeah, sorry, I meant Huntsville, AL. Nothing at my house yet. I really wish the library hadn't been closed all day. It would have been nice to go there for a couple hours this morning. Oh well. Now we wait. :)

Yeah, sorry, I meant Huntsville, AL. Nothing at my house yet. I really wish the library hadn't been closed all day. It would have been nice to go there for a couple hours this morning. Oh well. Now we wait. :)

well, it's snowing in the OXR area now but not sticking yet.  If there's snow on the ground in the morning, I'll have to make waffles--the boys claim it's a "tradition".  Apparently not one I knew about---

B

• Like 1

I read a story awhile ago about a man in MA, where they have snow coming out of their ears. He is selling it on the Internet. $89 for 6 pounds and he ships in an insulated container.   I am going to tell my wife about this now. Just how creative Americans can be about starting a new business.

Back in the seventies at some of the touristy stops along the highways in Florida you could by cans of Florida sunshine. It was just a sealed can with a colorful label and of course a picture of the sun on it. Northerners were supposed to buy it to bring home to their friends or as a souvenir from their Florida vacation. Maybe they still sell it. With all the interstate highways now, there aren't as many tourist shops, but who knows? There might be some stores near the Orlando theme parks that sell it.

OP, we feel the exact same way. We are from FL, and recently moved to GA. We were the loonies all excited for SnowMageddon last year, and we're hoping for a repeat this year lol. We've had some this afternoon, and I had to drag the kids in after several hours because they were sopping wet and shivering.

All of you enjoy the snow.

Here in West Michigan I went cross country skiing with a friend this morning and it was BEAUTIFUL. We skied down the trail to the creek and followed that a bit. The snow was hanging from the branches and the SUN was out.. ......SUN that bright ball of light in the sky we rarely see. We got back in the car and were both commented on what a beautiful day it was and how WARM it was......we turned the heat off in the car and cracked the windows..........then I started laughing as I looked down and it showed it was 14 F. That is still 25 degrees above the -10 we had a few days ago.

Haha- Here in Northern Wisconsin I did the same thing, got in the car and thought that it had warmed up nicely today...it was 9!