Menu

I never thought I'd do a baby name post.

Tangerine

Okay.  I don't like to ask anyone's opinion of names other than my husband.  We wanted to name our last baby Jemima, but living in the states we decided to not saddle a kid with a name that anywhere else in the world would probably be just fine.  We are having a mystery baby in March and have a boy name, but are still tossing around girl names.  I'm here to ask a question about a name.  I don't much care if you're like "Ew, I don't like it," though you're free to say so if you just must. It is just one of many we're discussing.  I've put some options in, but I may not cover it.  So here's the question:

The name is Ottilie.

Pronounced differently in different parts of the world.  For instance "Oh-TEEL-ee-uh".  Not what I'm asking about.  I'm asking about the pronunciation "AH-till-EE".  Here's the problem.  I had my friend from South Africa say it and I thought it sounded lovely.  But in an American accent, the T sounds like a D, and I'm concerned it just sounds like "oddly".  So let me have it!

I think it sounds like Oh Tilly!  (as in person 1:  'who is that? Oh, it's Tilly'  person 2: 'Oh, Tilly!')

Even if it did sound like oddly, I think I'd kind of like that. I like odd.  ;)

My first thought was Ah, Tilly. It doesn't make me think "oddly" but definitely makes me think "Tilly."

The problem is everything sounds better with a South African accent.  :D

I honestly would have to ask, and I'm pretty good with names. Ottile would be make it a bit easier to pronounce to me, not sure why though. I think it's an unusual name, which is not always bad. I think it would depend upon how irritated I get by correcting pronunciation.

As someone who switched from a very Scandinavian first name to my universal middle name, I would say she will be spelling it and explaining it for the rest of her life. I also think that many Americans would not know how to pronounce it and butcher it. I recognize it as a Germanic name where it's pronounced Ott-EE-le-uh but this would probably not work in this country.

The other thing I have found - in my generation at least - is that people look at a name written somewhere or they have heard it once and then forgot how to pronounce it and will be hesitant to address the person by name for fear of mispronouncing it. The whole thing got kinda old for me and I changed to my middle name. If you love Ottilie, perhaps bestow an easy middle name on your daughter in case she wants to make that choice. :)

ETA: didn't vote since I know the name from other parts of the world but still think it would be mispronounced here as "Oddly or "Ohtilly".

That's the second time I've heard of someone not using the name ''Jemima'' because of American cultural associations, particularly in the South. I love the name, and it would never have occurred to me to avoid it in America. I have dual American and Canadian citizenship, but I also enunciate. ''Ottilie'' wouldn't sound like ''oddly'' coming from me, but would from most people I know.

The structure of the post does not work, because I have to make one choice from each.

I am American and Americans will almost certainly say it like "Oddly." Sorry.

Yeah, unless I am focused, my "t"s, when following the "ah" sound and followed by a vowel are just going to sound like "d"s. Sorry.

That said, my view on baby names is that given with love and hope I don't care what anybody says! People will find a way to tease anybody. I knew a boy named Liam who was once called "Liam-pee-'em" on the playground.

You cannot get more innocuous than Liam, or so I thought.

Don't let other people's poor reading ability, funny accent, or general attitude ruin a baby name for you. Those are their problems (my problem :) and not yours.

I definitely believe people would pronounce it with a D sound. I say it that way. It's just a matter of trying to determine if it would just sound too much like oddly to be a pleasant name. But when I say it, it comes out like Odd uh lee. There's something about it that I like, but I've lived my whole life with a very common name, so I have no personal experience living a life with a name that requires explanation.

What about the name Jane Allison?

I just thought I'd get my suggestion out there. :)

BTW, I tried to vote, but I guess I dont have enough posts, lol, or so the error message stated ;)

Jane is on my list. Coupled with my last name it totally rhymes with the full name of a famous fictional character. DH is trying to get past that, but I'm not sure it is going to happen. :(

I do think you're going to have a hard time getting people to enunciate the T's in the US/Canada.  I think there's a clear middle syllable there (unlike something like Katherine which gets pronounced as Kathrine most of the time), so I do think it's distinct from oddly.  At the same time, if you are concerned about name-related teasing, well, it's pretty easy to get to oddly.  

It's not a name I'd choose, but I'd be pleased to meet a little Ottilie.  There were only 6 of them born in the US last year!

Before you explained how to pronounce it, I wanted to read it as OUGHT-ile, second syllable to rhyme with file or pile. I knew that couldn't be correct, but the spelling defeated me. I wanted to name my 4th daughter Fiona because I loved and still love how it sounds pronounced with an Irish lilt...Fee-OHHHH-na. Except that no one I know including myself speaks with an Irish lilt. The name wasn't nearly as pretty spoken in my flat american accent, so I went with Sarah.

When you first put the pronunciation the way I was sounding it out did not sound like oddly and I wouldn't have thought of that, When you said it would rhyme with bodily I do see how it can get pronounced more like that instead of with the t sound. It still has the extra syllable so it doesn't sound like oddly but it is close.

I wasn't able to vote because for some reason the software tells me that I don't have enough posts to vote!

I would have voted the first choice: Sounds too much like oddly and I'm American.

Same here. Wouldn't let me vote, but I would have voted for the first one.

I have no idea how that name would be pronounced. I'd keep looking.

That said, my view on baby names is that given with love and hope I don't care what anybody says! People will find a way to tease anybody. I knew a boy named Liam who was once called "Liam-pee-'em" on the playground.

You cannot get more innocuous than Liam, or so I thought.

Don't let other people's poor reading ability, funny accent, or general attitude ruin a baby name for you. Those are their problems (my problem :) and not yours.

I remember the neonatologist just SCOFFING at our first daughter's name (Violet).  Like our baby's in the NICU, but now's the time to tell us the name MIGHT be alright if we called her Vi.  Now it's the fastest rising girl name.  So I don't get too caught up in people's blech reactions.  New-to-me is just unacceptable to some folks.

And I totally agree that any name can be turned into an insult, or a rhyme, or some sing-songy silliness.  My son's name is Finnegan.  I tell him he was Finn once, and he's Finn again.  Violet sounds like violent.  Willa is a thrilla killa.  I do it to my own kids all the time.  :closedeyes:

Nymbler suggests these based on your others:

Maura

Amelia Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Muriel Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Genevieve Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Lily Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Scarlett Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Lyla Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Charity Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Brenna Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Brigette Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Mckenzie Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Charlotte Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Maeve

Alberta

Lea Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Kiera Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Nora Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Caroline Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Lesley Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Jewel Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Geneva Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Lila Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Hazel Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Lucy Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Glenna Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Emilie Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Fern Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Darcy Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Keira Add to Inspirations Add to My Favorites Block this name

Maybe it's because I live in a large multicultural city but around here it's not unusual to have a unique name. It used to be commond for immigrants to either alter their names or pick an Anglo/Francophone name but in Vancouver at least, it's now quite common for people to stick to whatever name they have. For the most part, people try hard to learn to pronounce it the way the person says. That's it.  Surinder, Hwang, Thi, In-Sook, Sidria, Danuta, Li Xiu... etc.  You spell your name a lot, that's it :)

And with the whole gaelic fandom giving their kids obscure names with tons of vowels, everyone is spelling all the time anyway LOL (I still stumble when spelling the name of one of my nephews :blushing:  )

So having a name that you had to pronounce/spell for people just wouldn't be a big deal here.

From yesterday's Nameberry blog post: DAPPER VINTAGE

"This year has also marked the centenary of the beginning of the First World War; an event that has been at the forefront of national remembrance. It is little wonder then that some of the names gaining ground this year bring to mind that by-gone age of heroism and stiff upper-lips. These are vintage choices, in line with the Hundred Year Rule, but with a decidedly tailored and refined quality.

For boys this is focused on quirky-traditional choices such as Rupert, Hugo, Wilfred, Rufus, Jasper and Felix. For girls, vintage choices with prevalent vowel sounds have proven popular, including Beatrice/Beatrix, Iris, Edith/Edie, Lena, Elodie, Ottilie and Iona (especially in Scotland)."

http://nameberry.com/blog/british-name-trends-2014

Aaaand our boy name is also in that blurb. Dapper Vintage must be what I'm going for. ;)

I wasn't able to vote because for some reason the software tells me that I don't have enough posts to vote!  

I would have voted the first choice:  Sounds too much like oddly and I'm American.  

It told me that, too. 

I don't know what I'd vote. I don't like the name at all.