Menu

Do you have an absolute favorite restaurant meal?

Tap

Do you have a favorite restaurant meal that you Know you will love every time you eat it?  I have been in the mood to eat someone else's cooking but most of the restaurants we go to have just average food. I would really love to find a favorite meal at a restaurant so that when I want to feel babied a bit, I can go indulge. 

What are some of your favorites?

I don't generally eat at many chains, but I have go-tos for types of food.

Bibimbap for Korean

Chickrn pad Thai for Thai

Butter chicken or chicken tikka masala for Indian

Lemongrass chicken noodles or pho for Vietnamese

Orange chicken or chow mien for Chinese

Hm, I can't think of any non Asian go-tos... We like Asian food a lot, we really don't eat at many restaurants that aren't Asian food. :)

Maybe Mexican ~ enchiladas or tamales (though there isn't any good Mexian here).

Do two local restaurants equal a chain?  I love these two restaurants because they have very good fresh quality food.  They also have a very good gluten free menu that I now use.  Their food tends to be a fusion of flavors and ingredients.  I really like things like kalbi ribs, salmon and salads with apples, walnuts and goat cheese.  

I almost always order pasta, because I love pasta. I also love seafood, but I don't live in the best place for that. Now, beef, otoh. . . DH is happy to get good steak around here, but I only occasionally order steak, and I don't like other meats that all much. But I can always appreciate a delicious pasta dish, or the portabella burger that one place around here has.

If we go to the Indian restaurant, I very often choose palaak paneer, and it never disappoints. I could eat that every day.

I almost always order pasta, because I love pasta. I also love seafood, but I don't live in the best place for that. Now, beef, otoh. . . DH is happy to get good steak around here, but I only occasionally order steak, and I don't like other meats that all much. But I can always appreciate a delicious pasta dish, or the portabella burger that one place around here has.

If we go to the Indian restaurant, I very often choose palaak paneer, and it never disappoints. I could eat that every day.

What Indian restaurant?  I didn't know we had one around here!

If you've been going to chain restaurants, you might want to branch out a bit to an independent local place.  Check Yelp and other sites for reviews.  All of the best restaurants I've ever experienced have been independent, non-chains.  Some were upscale, but most have been no more fancy or expensive than your average chain, and some have been cheap little strip mall joints.  Look for somewhere where they cook from scratch using quality ingredients, rather than relying on salt, sugar, and fat to create the flavor.  For a memorable meal, the food doesn't have to be fancy or complicated, just high-quality and thoughtfully prepared.

Red curry with chicken and broccoli at our local Thai place.  With spring rolls.  Mmmmmm...

If we're closer to DC, then the above, but with mung bean pudding for dessert, at our favorite Thai place, ever.

Ok, there are more, but now I'm stuck on Thai food... 

What Indian restaurant? I didn't know we had one around here!

We have two! They're both in Harrisburg. There's Aangan, but we've only been there once, although we liked it. Our favorite is Passage to India; we've been there a bunch of times. They do a good lunch buffet, but we have been there for dinner more than a couple of times too, and it's always delicious (and, it's fancy enough for a nice dinner, but they've also always been friendly toward the kids).

http://www.passagetoindiaharrisburgpa.com/menu.html

When we eat out, if there is Chicken Piccata on the menu I will get it!  (Cheesecake Factory's was so delicious when I ate there several years ago.  LOL)

There is a chicken dish at a local Italian restaurant that I *love*.  Pan-seared with lemon butter sauce, garnished with artichoke hearts and arugula with capers.  (Sounds similar to piccata, doesn't it?  LOL)

There's an Italian restaurant in our town that has a dish called "Steak Gorgonzola" on their menu.  It's described thus: Marinated beef tenderloin topped with balsamic glaze atop penne pasta. Tossed with gorgonzola cream sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and zucchini.

I order it every single time. 

It depends on what the budget allows, of course...

But once a month, I love Greek/Lebanese.  The garlic, the salad choices, the flavor... Mmmmm. And not too bad $$$.  About once a year, I also must have Hooters chicken wings.  (Hangs head).  I can't help it.  It's an itch that must be scratched.

A date, but on a budget... I get the house white with escargot and a loaf of bread for soaking up the buttery garlic bits.  

Anniversary?  A filet with bernaise.  

There's an Italian restaurant in our town that has a dish called "Steak Gorgonzola" on their menu. It's described thus: Marinated beef tenderloin topped with balsamic glaze atop penne pasta. Tossed with gorgonzola cream sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and zucchini.

I order it every single time.

Olive Garden has a steak Gorgonzola Alfredo that's my favorite thing to order when we eat there.

It's going to seem so basic that some will say, you can totally make that at home.  Here we very few restaurants, with only one that's really a local place, most others are fast food and if not that you get Chili's, Applebee's, or IHOP.  I love the one local restaurant we have.  It's a burger and wing joint, kind of diner like, but they make the absolute best marinated grilled chicken I've ever eaten in my life.  You can get it as a sandwich, on a salad, or as a dinner with a baked potato.  I love it all ways.  The salad one is my favorite though.  I'm sure it's all in the marinade, I'll have to keep pushing to find out what that is.  I seriously could eat at this place every day. 

Do two local restaurants equal a chain?  I love these two restaurants because they have very good fresh quality food.  They also have a very good gluten free menu that I now use.  Their food tends to be a fusion of flavors and ingredients.  I really like things like kalbi ribs, salmon and salads with apples, walnuts and goat cheese.  

What local restaurants are you referring to, Jean?  We live in the Seattle area and have recently gone gluten free.  I'd love to try out some place new for our next special occasion. 

Chipotle's -barbacoa, brown rice, black beans, peppers and onions, hot sauce and mild, sour cream, cheese and lettuce.

Babaziki's-Mediterranean salad which consists of Bed of spinach and romaine lettuce,chicken, grilled vegetables, cucumber tomato & feta salad, kalamata olives, feta cheese and lemon cilantro vinaigrette. Warm pita on the side.

Burger places-bacon cheddar burger with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, ketchup, mustard and hot salty fries

Salsaritas-their tomarito burrito, steak, peppers and onions, brown rice, black beans, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, cilantro, jalapenos and lots of tomarito sauce!

Chicken places- a roasted breast, mashed potatoes with gravy, cole slaw and roll.

Oriental Inn...egg drop soup, beef and broccoli, chicken sesame, spicy shrimp, fried rice, eggrolls, crab ragoon.

steak place- steak with blue cheese or blackened, loaded potato, nice salad, yeast rolls with honey butter.

Red Lobster-crab alfredo, salad and cheddar biscuits

Olive Garden- cheese stuffed shells in a marinara sauce or their smoked mozzarella chicken, their salad and their bread sticks with Alfredo sauce.

Pizza places...a veggie pizza including jalepenoes or a bacon mushroom pizza, buffalo wings, cheesy bread,

Now I want to go out, haha.

I will enjoy my porkchops!

Peking Duck at local Chinese place. I will never bother learning to make it. Never.

Chipotle: Bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita veg, steak, mild tomato salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole THIS is my new go-to comfort meal when I'm starving. If eaten at the right time this meal lasts me all day.

I also like to order eggs Benedict with lox. I just haven't mastered egg poaching yet.

I've never had a bad experience at a French restaurant.  They tend to be on the pricey side, but it shows in the quality of the ingredients.  

One of my favorite meals around here would be pate and a glass of red wine, with the house salad.  There's always lovely bread on the side.  It's enough to fill me up, and just divine!  Splurging we could get entrees too, or instead of the pate.

Amy