Menu

How many US Presidents can you name?

Night Elf

I'll have to try it, but just wanted to say that my middle dd knows them all and by number too. She enjoyed that Yo Millard Fillmore book. We have streets named after presidents in our town, and as we were turning onto Monroe one time I asked her which president it was named for, just expecting her to say James Monroe. She said, "The fifth one." Ask her any number and she'll tell you who the president was (like, "Who was the 26th president?"). She's not quite as good at pinpointing them in time ("Who was the president in 1923?"). Love her memory.

I got 38. I could have gotten more, but at first, I thought I had to remember them in order so was going backward through time which was slower. Then realized it would fill them in as soon as I typed a name, nor order necessary. I was typing McKinley when time expired. So 88% but with another 20 seconds I probably could have made 100%.

About 70%. I had to look up the spellings of two of them, and doing that gave me hints to others, so.

Also, the program cheats slightly - if you type in "Johnson" or "Roosevelt" or "Bush" it fills in all presidents with that name, so you can get counted twice even if you only knew one of them.

The quiz doesn't require you to name them in order. I got all but two.

Oh, okay. I took a quick look and saw blank spaces next to dates, so I thought you had to list when each man was in office. I was just browsing and didn't actually read the instructions. I might go back later then, and give it a whirl.

Hey, Americans: why do you do this?

Is it actually considered valuable information to know these names?

Is it an expression of patriotism/loyalty in some form?

Is it a memory exercise, because it's good to have memory skills, and so this is a not-pointless list to memorize?

(We don't memorize Prime Ministers, so I'm curious about the education aspect of the phenomenon.)

In my defense, I didn't grow up in this country. In my not-so defense......I have taught US History (against my will) in the PS system......

I got 91%. I don't remember any president named Arthur.....did he do anything important?

Arthur may not have done much that was memorable, but he did have impressive sideburns.

Is it a memory exercise, because it's good to have memory skills, and so this is a not-pointless list to memorize?

(We don't memorize Prime Ministers, so I'm curious about the education aspect of the phenomenon.)

Well for me, it's on the same level of being able to name all 50 states. I can't do that either. And I certainly can't look at a map and place many states. I have never been a history and geography person.

I have no idea, but I suspect it's probably why so many people hate history. They were forced to memorize rather than learn. I had history teachers who obviously loved their subject and loved passing along information about what happened (both in World and American History), and that's possibly why I love history.

I'm not sure, but I think the teaching of history has moved away from rote memorization of dates, wars, and people. Some parents of school kids have a fit when such changes are made, but it's really better to learn history that way. Being able to name all the presidents is a useless skill (even though I admit I could do it). Being able to understand what was happening in the rest of the world while, say Rutherford B. Hayes was in office, helps one to see the big picture. When we know where we've been we can understand why we're where we are, and have a better idea of where we're going. Knowing and being able to recite a list of names and dates is just a handy party trick.

I have no idea, but I suspect it's probably why so many people hate history. They were forced to memorize rather than learn. I had history teachers who obviously loved their subject and loved passing along information about what happened (both in World and American History), and that's possibly why I love history.

I'm not sure, but I think the teaching of history has moved away from rote memorization of dates, wars, and people. Some parents of school kids have a fit when such changes are made, but it's really better to learn history that way. Being able to name all the presidents is a useless skill (even though I admit I could do it). Being able to understand what was happening in the rest of the world while, say Rutherford B. Hayes was in office, helps one to see the big picture. When we know where we've been we can understand why we're where we are, and have a better idea of where we're going. Knowing and being able to recite a list of names and dates is just a handy party trick.

This is wonderful. I have never understood the appeal of the mere memorization of random facts list.

I can't do Prime Ministers, but I can probably have a decent stab at Kings/Queens of England from 1485 onwards.  Knowing the list (in order) does give shape to eras.

L

If you memorize them in order it gives you pegs to attach historical events to. Presidents are often mentioned in conjunction the the events of their time.

I don't think most people do try to memorize them. I sure didn't. I just know them because I read a lot of history. I can generally tell you the key election issues, a bit (or a lot) about their history and about what they did post presidency.

But then again I am the child who preread and reread history books for fun and also pored over this massive volume about the details of the deaths of each president. I must have been about 10. I still read political histories and biographies for fun. Most wouldn't mistake me for especially patriotic.

I do not claim to be exciting or quite normal, lol.

I don't do it.  I don't consider it valuable information.  Maybe I'm a bad American.

I can't do Prime Ministers, but I can probably have a decent stab at Kings/Queens of England from 1485 onwards.  Knowing the list (in order) does give shape to eras.

L

Yes, that's the primary benefit, I think.

I don't think many people set out specifically to memorize them, but one generally knows the last several just from life experience and conversation with one's family. And one learns the first few in school, plus a few big ones sprinkled through. And then with only 43 presidents total (and fewer than that when I was in school!), the filled in spots start out-numbering the gaps, and it becomes easier to fill the gaps.

Also it helps in trivia games. My family all dominate me in strategic games, so I have to keep my edge in trivia.

Thanks to Horrible Histories, we can also have a decent stab at English royalty...a bit less relevant to us though :)

I can think of 7 Presidents. Also of no relevance to me :)

I don't even bother to think about Australian PM's.

I can name more American Presidents, than Australia's Prime Ministers, lol.

100%. Thank you Animaniacs!

Animaniacs also taught my daughter the states and capitals when she was, maybe 4 or 5. And the parts of the brain. And the nations of the world (c. 199x). And I vaguely remember ingredients in ice cream.

All of those songs have stuck with us both through the years, which I find hilarious.

I do find it helpful for pinning chunks of information in my head. Some of these presidents had some rather key decisions made during their terms.

I think it is more difficult than the English Monarchy as most of them were on the throne more than four to eight years. We go through presidents rather rapidly, LOL.