Menu

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies--Christmas Cookie or Not?

Chris in VA

158 members have voted

1. 1. Do Oatmeal Raisin cookies qualify as a "Christmas" cookie?

Ok, settle an "argument."

One of us says oatmeal raisin cookies are just..."ordinary" cookies, and do not qualify as Christmas cookies.

One of us, who is wrong, says any cookie can be a Christmas cookie.

What do you think?

And, no "other" choice is offered, because I'm not talking about a suped-up cookie with extraordinary ingredients, just a plain, dull, ordinary, non-special oatmeal raisin.

I voted yes because I'm thinking of cookie exchanges. You make whatever cookies you want and share them. They don't have to be something special. And technically you can have any kind of cookie you want at any time of the year. I don't see why there would be something specific you have only one time per year, unless it's something you don't like but you feel obligated to eat it because it's the holidays.

I'm making sugar cookies for Christmas that I'm making as a gift. That's a Christmas cookie in my book.

I voted yes because I'm thinking of cookie exchanges. You make whatever cookies you want and share them. They don't have to be something special. And technically you can have any kind of cookie you want at any time of the year. I don't see why there would be something specific you have only one time per year, unless it's something you don't like but you feel obligated to eat it because it's the holidays.

I'm making sugar cookies for Christmas that I'm making as a gift. That's a Christmas cookie in my book.

Sugar cookies qualify in my book, too. Especially cut-outs in Christmas-y shapes.

We DO have cookies we only eat at Christmas time--Peanut Blossoms ("kiss" cookies) and spritz are only eaten then around here. Dh would love if I made kiffles, but I have never been able to get them to not stick to my counter, so i gave up after a couple of tries.

I can see both sides.

Yes, because homemade cookie baking is becoming a rare thing so if you make them at CHristmas, they are a Christmas cookie.

No, because oatmeal cookies used to be an everyday kind of cookie, along with chocolate chip.

I am also of the opinion that a white chocolate craisin oatmeal cookie would definitely be a Christmas cookie.

I have never heard of kiffles, but they look *extremely* like rugelach (the first recipe I found on google had identical dough recipes), which I have made with great success. You may have already tried this, but here is what I have done.

1) The dough *must* be thoroughly chilled. You cannot roll out a lot at once or they will stick and they will never come off.

2) Trying to roll out the dough from the start is a recipe for disaster. I wad the dough into a flattened ball shape before I stick it in the fridge so that it will be sorta close to the shape I want. That way it can stay out of the fridge as little as possible.

3) I see that you're supposed to cut the dough into squares. This works best if the knife is ALSO chilled in the fridge. I cut my dough, then I put the knife back in the fridge to wait for the next batch. I have had best luck with a carbon steel knife but this may just be psychosomatic.

4) If they *do* start sticking (occasionally mine do), you can frequently get them to come off the counter with a metal scraper spatula.

5) If the last couple stick, just wad them up with your fingers and toss them in for baking anyway. Those get to be taste-tests.

6) Wash the counter with cold water and then dry it between each batch that you roll out. This again keeps the dough as cold as possible.

OK, plain Jane Oatmeal Raisin cookies would not qualify as Christmas cookies in my book unless they were that person's all-time favorite cookie.  Just like normal Toll House cookies do not qualify IMHO.

But, say, take your favorite recipe, add Craisins instead of raisins, and maybe white chocolate chips?  Ka-ching! Christmas cookie time!

I also sort of think they're gross. I'm sure that's coloring my opinion. I love a good regular oatmeal cookie. And I love, love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Yum. But none of those are Christmas cookies either!

It needs icing or powder or a shape or a piece of candy or mint flavor to be a Christmas cookie. You know, as a vast over-generalization.

OK, plain Jane Oatmeal Raisin cookies would not qualify as Christmas cookies in my book unless they were that person's all-time favorite cookie. Just like normal Toll House cookies do not qualify IMHO.

But, say, take your favorite recipe, add Craisins instead of raisins, and maybe white chocolate chips? Ka-ching! Christmas cookie time!

And macadamia nuts.

Growing up, the holiday season was the only time my mom would bake any cookies. Oatmeal raisin were one of my favorites (second only to her seven layer cookies.) Definitely count as a Christmas cookie.

"Ordinary" cookies are non seasonal store bought cookies like Oreos and stuff. And I've never met a store bought oatmeal raisin cookie as good as homemade.

OK, plain Jane Oatmeal Raisin cookies would not qualify as Christmas cookies in my book unless they were that person's all-time favorite cookie. Just like normal Toll House cookies do not qualify IMHO.

But, say, take your favorite recipe, add Craisins instead of raisins, and maybe white chocolate chips? Ka-ching! Christmas cookie time!

I agree. If they're specially made for someone, then they're special. :)

Maybe throw some holiday red and green M&Ms in the dough to festive them up?

I make my Christmas cookies at Christmas time. They are not made at any other time of year. Chocolate chip, oatmeal, other kinds are all just regular cookies. Even the jazzed up kinds, because my kids make those all the time. 

If you really want to make excellent oatmeal cookies, though, roll them in sugar before baking (with special additions of course).

I have never heard of kiffles, but they look *extremely* like rugelach (the first recipe I found on google had identical dough recipes), which I have made with great success. You may have already tried this, but here is what I have done.

1) The dough *must* be thoroughly chilled. You cannot roll out a lot at once or they will stick and they will never come off.

2) Trying to roll out the dough from the start is a recipe for disaster. I wad the dough into a flattened ball shape before I stick it in the fridge so that it will be sorta close to the shape I want. That way it can stay out of the fridge as little as possible.

3) I see that you're supposed to cut the dough into squares. This works best if the knife is ALSO chilled in the fridge. I cut my dough, then I put the knife back in the fridge to wait for the next batch. I have had best luck with a carbon steel knife but this may just be psychosomatic.

4) If they *do* start sticking (occasionally mine do), you can frequently get them to come off the counter with a metal scraper spatula.

5) If the last couple stick, just wad them up with your fingers and toss them in for baking anyway. Those get to be taste-tests.

6) Wash the counter with cold water and then dry it between each batch that you roll out. This again keeps the dough as cold as possible.

Nana made Kiffles every Christmas, and you are absolutely correct about the dough temp. You really need to make the dough a day or two before baking so that it is well chilled. 

Growing up, the holiday season was the only time my mom would bake any cookies. Oatmeal raisin were one of my favorites (second only to her seven layer cookies.) Definitely count as a Christmas cookie.

"Ordinary" cookies are non seasonal store bought cookies like Oreos and stuff. And I've never met a store bought oatmeal raisin cookie as good as homemade.

Oh, I forgot about seven-layer bars.  Those are so yummy.

We do like the red-tinted Oreos.  Not sure why. :)

I make my Christmas cookies at Christmas time. They are not made at any other time of year. Chocolate chip, oatmeal, other kids are all just regular cookies. Even the jazzed up kinds, because my kids make those all the time. 

If you really want to make excellent oatmeal cookies, though, roll them in sugar before baking (with special additions of course).

I'm totally going to try rolling them in sugar.  We also like to add coconut to our plain oatmeal cookies.  

Cookies that are created specifically for Christmas are, obviously, Christmas Cookies.

Cookies that are created for Christmas but are also made at other times of the year for other random, not-so-special occasions? No. While they may be delicious, they are not deserving of the title Christmas Cookie.

Sorry I voted yes, but that's because Christmas with my dad's family includes like 12 different cookie types (my Aunt works at a bakery) and Oatmeal Raisin has always been one of them.  It's also 2nd quickest to disappear after Peanut butter cookies.  You know which ones there's always plenty of leftover?  Those little crumbly ones with powder sugar.

This is why I stopped hosting a cookie exchange for the neighbors. People brought regular cookies or worse store bought! Do not mean to sound snobby, but I even told people the exchange was optional, come for the fellowship. But people got annoyed when Chips A'Hoy were brought. 

This is why I stopped hosting a cookie exchange for the neighbors. People brought regular cookies or worse store bought! Do not mean to sound snobby, but I even told people the exchange was optional, come for the fellowship. But people got annoyed when Chips A'Hoy were brought. 

Chips Ahoy... shudder... we used to get them at Sunday School, with Dixie cups of lukewarm watered-down Kool-aid to dunk them in.

And for the record, I'd change my "no" vote to "yes" IF the oatmeal raisin cookies in question were liberally frosted.  Vanilla frosting would be best, I think.  That would make them more festive AND edible.

Frosted Oatmeal Raisin? Yummmmm!

Sorry, I had to vote "not a holiday cookie" because they are a wonderful year round cookie. Though possibly I am not the right one to ask as little gingerbread people have shown up at my house over the years during all seasons. By invitation, of course.

Not Christmas cookies, because raisins in baked goods are "ew."

Sorry, too much Jimmy Fallon.

I did not realize the distinction between Chistmas cookies and every day cookies until one year I made Jubilee Jumbles in May. DH informed me that they only could be made in December, after he ate the whole batch.

I'll be snobby with you. Don't go to a cookie exchange with your stupid, easy bars and take home beautifully decorated cut-outs. It's just not right. The whole point is that everyone goes home with a variety of fancy cookies without duplicating that effort across multiple recipes. You don't phone it in then profit from the labor of others.

Ok, settle an "argument."

One of us says oatmeal raisin cookies are just..."ordinary" cookies, and do not qualify as Christmas cookies.

One of us, who is wrong, says any cookie can be a Christmas cookie.

What do you think?

And, no "other" choice is offered, because I'm not talking about a suped-up cookie with extraordinary ingredients, just a plain, dull, ordinary, non-special oatmeal raisin.

You are right. :)

1. Any cookie you eat around Christmastime is, by definition, a "Christmas cookie".

2. However, very few people would specialize in Oatmeal Raisin just for the Christmas season.

3. Oatmeal cookies are delish.

4. Oatmeal raisin cookies are gross.

4a. Raisins in baked goods are always gross, no matter what time of year it is.

5. What the heck classifies as extraordinary ingredients anyway?

5a. You should try this recipe. All these ingredients are in my pantry, so they're probably in yours I think.

5b. That recipe doesn't have raisins, because raisins are gross.

I want cookies.

And I want them now.

This thread has made me hungry for Christmas cookies, and by that I mean real Christmas cookies, not oatmeal raisin cookies. :D

hmmm.... well I have pinwheel with crushed candy cane on the outside, ginger crinkles, homemade peppermint patty, soft sugar cookies in minecraft shapes (ya the kids helped with those ones), shortbread cookies, peanut butter cookies, or chocolate crinkles. Which ones should I eat in your honor? :001_tt2:

hmmm.... well I have pinwheel with crushed candy cane on the outside, ginger crinkles, homemade peppermint patty, soft sugar cookies in minecraft shapes (ya the kids helped with those ones), shortbread cookies, peanut butter cookies, or chocolate crinkles. Which ones should I eat in your honor? :001_tt2:

You are a cruel, cruel woman. :D

Oatmeal raisin cookies are one of the main reasons I have trust issues. Replace those raisins with chocolate chips and I might be won over for a bit. (At least until the cookie is gone.)

Technically not a Christmas cookie, but really, who gets stuck on technicalities when it comes to cookies!?

Rubbish, chocolate chips are repulsive. They smell bad and taste worse.

:)

I think of oatmeal raisin as an anytime cookie and a Christmas cookie is that cookie people only make at Christmas time.for example, gingerbread cookies.

However, if the only time you see an oatmeal cookie is Christmas, then for you it is a Christmas cookie.