Menu

What are you getting your 8-9yo girl for Christmas?

ksr5377

DD is just turning 10, and her list is mostly legos, books, craft stuff, clothes and snake non-profit stuff (the last is probably kid-specific, but if she has something she's into, it may be worth looking into. It works pretty well for her grandparents , etc to donate some money in her name to a non-profit and have the non profit mail DD a nice card and maybe some photographs, stickers, etc. Animal-related non-profits are great for this). It's been much the same the last 2 years.

When I was 9, I received a bean bag chair for my room. Loved that. I also got a sleeping bag and bright red suitcase for sleepovers and the like. Loved those too.

I got my little sister A Wrinkle in Time boxed set a few years ago when she was 9 but she's a reader. Not everyone would love that as much as she did.

I'm with you on not being enthused about crafty gifts. Dd's "projects" wind up all over the house I'm always sweeping beads and gems up in the dustpan.

Lego Friends dominates the list here, a few small playmobil sets (we already have a HUGE collection so there isn't much left to get), books, a hand tied blanket as she has gotten too tall for the one I made a few years ago.  Sparkly clothes and shoes always make her smile.  Perhaps if she likes crafts you could get her involved in cooking.  Then you could eat her projects and not have to worry about where to store them.  My niece is absolutely obsessed with cupcakes so she gets cupcakes cookbooks, pretty pattern paper wrappers, frosting kits and colors, sprinkles etc.  Even if you went with more basic cooking you could get her an apron and easy cookbook that type of thing.

dd 9 is getting zoomer zuppie, lego friends, crayola paint maker, art kit, multimedia paper tablet, colored and printed paper tablet, necklace make kit, lap desk, an outfit for her American Girl doll that Justice sells, olaf watch, razor scooter with lighted wheels

If your dd likes art and crafts Michaels has a lot of sets on sale.   Their creatology sets 60% off today only.

Last year my dd got a pillow pet that lights up, she's been sleeping with it ever since.  They were  not something I wanted to spend money on but when one of her gifts did not work out we let her choose anything she wanted and that was the first thing she went to.   

My girls are into the fashion barbies and like all the different clothes, shoes and accessories. They aren't into the furniture/houses etc..

They also asked for the puppy and kitty surprise. Of course I will oblige. I had those growing up.

Also, earrings, hats, furry vests, boots, books..

they are a huge split between toys and tween wants. Makes me sad that this may be our last "toy" Christmas.

Chima lego sets, Harry Potter broomstick (for quidditch practice), full length mirror, electronic drum set, Playmobil pony play set, books, DS games ... can't remember too much more.  They got / are getting cameras for their 8th birthdays as well.  They already have *everything* so it's hard to come up with new stuff.

Lego sets (not the friends - we want something little brother and future grandkids can enjoy and the Friends sets are too girly)

Playmobil

A few board games

Usborne History books

Carpatina AG historical dresses

Mine must be the only ones interested in Barbies?

Nope...mine is still interested as well as in baby dolls and little girl stuff.

DD8 is getting

Books..craft and science

Rapunzel Barbie

My Little Pony Equestria Girls

Rapunzel Lego

Two Lotttie dolls and accessories

Scooter

big Playmobil sets to share with her brothers

X-box..again to share ..with Lego Movie, Minecraft and Disney Infinity Games

The Lego Friends can't sit on things as well, and can't turn their hands.  Also, unless you have all Friends lego, the parts aren't as interchangable.  My girl and boy much prefer the regular Lego for its versatility.

Lego is mainly what we'll do.  I need to think more, but probably a book and a few small things too.

Ideas we are mulling, between us and relatives who contribute

:

American Girl accessories...they have long lists of stuff they'd like...my non-girly girl realized that her doll could match her and didn't have to be girly either and she now loves it. 

Nice sleeping bags, theirs are getting too small

Tablet or Chromebook for schoolwork 

Gift card to the play store for apps and music

Smaller items under consideration:

Thinking Putty

Play Silks

DIY American Girl carrier from the book Growing Up Sew Liberated

Tangle Teezer brush

A leatherman tool or pocket knife

Art Journal supplies

Earrings

Tradition items:

PJ's on Christmas Eve

An ornament

A family game or two...maybe Ticket to Ride, still deciding

And this year we went for an experience and we are seeing a Cirque de Soliel show

I have no idea. My 8yo DD is the hardest to buy for. She doesn't seem to have strong interests of her own. She just likes whatever anyone else has or does. (Not in a selfish way, it's more a social thing.) I dreamt last night that I found her the perfect gifts and she absolutely loved them but when I woke up I couldn't remember what they were. :-p

I have no idea. My 8yo DD is the hardest to buy for. She doesn't seem to have strong interests of her own. She just likes whatever anyone else has or does. (Not in a selfish way, it's more a social thing.) I dreamt last night that I found her the perfect gifts and she absolutely loved them but when I woke up I couldn't remember what they were. :-p

She sounds just like my nine year old!

From DH and I, DFD 10 is getting:

-A new saddle 

-Two more Breyer Horses for her collection

-Other things I will figure out lately (probably some clothes, a few new bathing suits, and a few special books)

She will also get new pajamas (because I make them every Christmas) and a bunch of fun things in her stocking.

-Lego Friends

-Rollerblades

-Our Generation furniture set- either the camper or the kitchen or the stable- not sure which one yet.

-Aquarellum Horses Magic Art Canvas   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S2WAWG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1Y4GWDLS1THE8

-Small handsewing basket with supplies

-New Kluttz books- maybe twisted paper or string art of felted friends

-Rebelle Agent Bow

-Hobbiton 3D puzzle http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V5ZSDO/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-My Amazing Bubble Writer Stationary Kit

Have you seen the Toothless piggy bank? It's adorable. :001_wub:

I have now! :D

(That said, this kid has 2-3 piggy banks already, LOL.  I refuse to buy another, no matter how adorable or totally fitting for her. :p)

I forgot to add to my list:

Kiddo is getting an iTunes gift card, so she can load up on "gems" on School of Dragons. :D

A chess set and maybe some yarn/knitting accessories and then just some clothes/boots. One idea (that I gave her for her birthday) is the Zoku Popsickle Maker. She loves that thing!!

It seems the more my kids get, the less they appreciate it. They each got an American Girl Doll last year and they don't really play with or take care of them. One of them cut the hair on one of the dolls. They scattered and lost all of the pieces to the board games I bought them. So, I am hesitant to buy much this year.

I really need more ideas for consumable items because I am trying to declutter!

My 8 year old dd is impossible to buy for. She's definitely a social butterfly and would rather play with people than with things.She is a clothes horse though, and so I'll probably get her a cool poncho or a furry vest or something kind of crazy I wouldn't ordinarily buy her, but she would love. I found some awesome boots on-line at Children's Place (leopard print with bright pink lacing), but they were out of stock. I'm going to keep checking back!

When my oldest was that age, I got her a sheepskin rug for her bedroom, similar to this one.  She would lie on her floor and read, and this gave her something comfy to lie on.  It was a gift born of desperation, but she loved it.  Both of my girls received their first Uggs around that age, if Uggs are still popular for that age where you are.  

I second the beanbag someone suggested above.  One of my hard-to-buys received knitting materials with a promise to take lessons with Mom at a yarn store.  I know you said she wasn't into crafts, but perhaps this will spark some ideas about something she would like to learn to do--cake decorating, skating, etc.

Tickets to a show for just you and her?  

American Girl doll crap (much of which is books), an embroidery kit, horseback riding lessons, a gift certificate for one of those studios where you paint ceramics, and a couple of those build something electronic kits (I want to say Kinex, but DH is getting those I'm not sure).  Stocking stuffers planned: hair accessories, nail polish (something sheer pink, like essie's ballet slipper, and probably a clear one with a bit of pale glitter), some dollar tree toys (the party favor ones always go over well), an orange, and some candy.

My older dd's are almost 7 and almost 10. They are both getting dirt bikes and some American Girl accessories.

Dh is in charge of the bikes and boots, my in laws will buy the helmets.

I found a wooden table and chairs set for the dolls for $20, I'll pick up the Target brand bathtub and kitchen accessories. I have an old wooden jewelry box that I'm planning on sanding and painting for them to use as a dresser, I'm crocheting little area rugs and sweaters, and I've found small dishes and a pitcher and tiny lampshade at goodwill.