Menu

The foods you always buy/keep on hand

Ginevra

This is merely an exercise in curiosity. :) I'm wondering what foods people generally always buy and/or keep on hand. I don't necessarily mean staples which almost everybody keeps, such as salt, flour, tea, etc. I mean those items that are common to what you usually cook and eat, and which you normally have in reserve stocks. Here are some of mine:

Canned: corn, green beans, black beans, kidney beans, chicken broth, tomatoes (4 types), tuna.

Fresh: onions, green peppers, garlic, carrots, celery, lettuce.

Dairy: milk, half and half, butter, cheddar, mozzarella.

Frozen: ground beef, chicken breasts. Usually bacon and pork tenderloin.

ETA: I forgot rice, potatoes and pasta. I hardly ever run out of them. Coffee, too. Running out would be sacrilege!

Canned : olives, coconut milk (don't do much canned)

Fresh: fruit- bananas, apples oranges, whatever is in season (stone fruits, grapes, strawberries, cherries, mango, pineapple etc) veg: broccoli, cauli, carrots, zucchini, spinach, kale, cuke, onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes, romaine, green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes when they are not coming out of the garden and million avocados per week.

Meat - chicken, tri tip, ground beef, sausages, breakfast sausage, bacon, salami

Other- cheddar, cheese sticks, butter, heavy cream, milk

All of this every week.

Milk, butter, eggs, bread, half and half, cheese, apples, bananas, peas, ground beef, chicken thighs, black beans, lentils, tomatoes, lettuce, kale, broccoli, spinach, steel cut oats, brown rice, black rice, tuna, bacon, popcorn

That's what I buy almost every week, or I always have on hand. Otherwise I buy what's on sale or in season. 

ETA: OH!!! And coffee!!! 

In our family we always have a supply of:

Refrigerator

refrigerator type blue cheese dressing (we are blue cheese snobs!)

BIG stick of pepperoni :)

Lettuce/salad fixings

Tortillas

Freezer

shredded cheddar cheese

dumplings/potstickers

Chicken legs and thighs

ground beef or turkey

Frozen French fries

BACON! How could I forget that?

Pantry

Chicken noodle and tomato soup

Canned tuna and chicken

Canned black beans

Since I coupon I always have a good variety of things but these are things I try never to run out of.

Fun thread!

Edited by JonesinIndiana

Bananas and milk. My husband does not stop at the store without picking these up. We also usually have tortillas, beans, eggs, tomato sauce, oatmeal, frozen blueberries, and cheese. If I have those and a few staples on hand I feel capable of cooking about anything.

Pantry -- Beans, tomatoes/tomato sauce, salsa (jarred), chicken broth/stock

Fruits/veggies -- Apples, bananas, usually some of whatever fruits are in season (right now it's strawberries!), lettuce, onions, green peppers, shallots, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, garlic, bagged salad mixes

Dairy -- Milk, cream, cheese (feta, cheddar, Mexican blend), cottage cheese, yogurt, butter, eggs, ice cream (DH has to have his ice cream!)

Other -- Peanut butter, various nuts, hummus, pico de gallo, fresh salsa (not the jarred kind that I keep in the pantry), potato and tortilla chips, Wheat Thins

Meat -- Deli meats, bacon.  I make a crock pot of chicken breasts every week, shred and freeze it in small containers.  Other than that I don't like frozen meat so don't keep much on hand.

We try never to be without coconut milk, sriracha, rice vinegar, and fish sauce.

And having recently discovered sweetened condensed milk in a squeeze bottle, I will endeavor not to run out. Ever. Because it is my new best friend.

For what do you use the sweetened condensed milk in a squeeze bottle? I confess, I'm mystified!

And, what is sriracha?

Avocados

Grape tomatoes

Babybel cheese

Cracked pepper & olive oil Triscuits

There's probably more but those are the only things I can think of that never run out. I eat all of those everyday so they're always here.

Pantry:

canned tomatoes

canned potatoes

tuna

black beans

refried beans

kidney beans

canned corn and green beans

extra mustard, mayo and catsup

bananas

Refrigerator:

sharp cheddar cheese

string cheese

eggs

butter

tortillas

Freezer

ground beef

chicken

bacon

link sausage

With this I can pretty much cook any meal we eat. I also pick up fresh produce twice a week.

For what do you use the sweetened condensed milk in a squeeze bottle? I confess, I'm mystified!

And, what is sriracha?

Definitely not pouring it directly into my mouth, that's for sure... :) Actually, I've been using it in iced coffee. I normally don't like sweet drinks, but a little bit in iced coffee, plus a splash of milk? Thing of beauty.

Sriracha is a kind of chili sauce. It tends to go well with Asian flavors, though I've been known to use it in recipes of various ethnicities and call it "fusion."

Eggs

shredded cheese

sour cream

milk

coffee creamer

bananas

potatoes

garlic

onions

lettuce

avocados

peanut butter

jelly

bread

bacon

sausage

tomatoes canned crushed, diced and paste

pasta

cereal

turkey

chicken

Dried beans

rice

oats

syrup

Chips

frozen veggies

Pantry: canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes, no-salt tomato sauce, tomato paste, sliced mushrooms, black beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans, refried beans, tuna, chicken noodle soup, home-canned peaches, home-canned blueberries

More pantry: pasta--spaghetti, orzo, farfalle, penne, jasmine and basmati rice, cold cereal, ramen, oats (quick and old fashioned), popcorn kernals, peanut butter, mac and cheese, shells and cheese

Dairy: milk, buttermilk, butter, cheddar, string cheese, cheese sticks, parmesan, havarti slices, American cheese, chobani yogurts--large plain, tubes for the kids, individual for dh's work.

Fruit: apples, bananas, seasonal fruits. Blueberries and raspberries in back yard most of summer.

Veggies: romaine, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lemon, lime, garlic, carrot or two

Meat: chicken breasts, flank steak, pork tenderloin, tri tip, turkey sausage breakfast links, ground beef, eggs

Breads: 100% whole wheat, flour and corn tortillas, bagels when the girls are on a bagel kick

A few specialized things for disabled dd: frozen quiche, Trader Joe's hashbrowns, sausage biscuits, fruit cups. The havarti and cheese sticks are also for her.

Plus all of the typical baking supplies, including a rather large supply of chocolate chips that I stock up on in winter when they are cheaper. And I buy Garden of Eatin' tortilla chips by the case from Amazon, so usually 1-12 bags of those are hanging around!

We are vegetarian and I do all the cooking/food prep. We have been slowly moving to more healthful and less processed stuff but it's hard. We have good intentions but boxed pasta is so easy...

We usually have:

BREAKFAST

- Rolled oats for my oatmeal, and jarred applesauce to stir in

- Rice milk and frozen mixed fruit for smoothies

- Muffin mix for his preferred breakfast

- Rye bread in case I want toast and peanut butter

LUNCH

- Several flavours of peanut butter, and multigrain bread for his sandwiches

- Canned or jarred soup for my lunches

- I usually buy one prepared treat a week (gyoza, frozen burrito, spinach pastry) for my lunches

- Apples, grapes or strawberries, baby carrots for sides

- Veggie chips or crackers, sometimes hummus for snacks

- I keep several varieties of canned beans frozen in single-serve amounts to use in pastas or salads

DINNER

- Boxed macaroni and cheese

- Whole wheat pasta and tomato sauce

- Boxed couscous or rice mixes

- Bagels or tortillas for sandwich dinners

- Daiya cheese shreds for tortilla pizzas

- Minute brown rice

- Frozen mixed vegetables

- Fresh peppers for side dishes

Definitely not pouring it directly into my mouth, that's for sure... :) Actually, I've been using it in iced coffee. I normally don't like sweet drinks, but a little bit in iced coffee, plus a splash of milk? Thing of beauty.

I do this too, but with espresso and milk. Almost like an iced white mocha. But where do you buy yours? I buy mine at Trader Joe's, but it's a seasonal item and I'm almost out.

What does one make with tri tip? We get beef by the half or quarter steer, but

I don't know what this is.

I've read somewhere that it's not done everywhere. It's a beef cut available in CA and OR for sure--I get tri tip steaks at Costco, though I think they have roasts too. It's very tasty--I just rub with salt and pepper and grill them, then slice across like I would a flank steak. If there are leftovers, I use them for steak tacos.

homemade pesto - tons in the freezer ready to go.

about 30 boxes of different Barilla pastas

Ragu (for son with autism), extremely spicy sauce which I can't spell for moi

espresso

powdered buttermilk (for baking)

ground flax seeds, cornmeal, wheat germ - to add to homemade bread when the fit takes me

in the freezer - decent ravioli, pierogies, various spicy Indian foods, pork dumplings for DDs, pine nuts (for making pesto), the ice cream freezer bowl.

Tons of Indian spices, red lentils for dal.

Fresh ginger root, peppers.

Wheetabix.  Stone ground oatmeal. 

Buckwheat groats (steam them for kasha)

Couscous. 

This changes depending on where we're living at the time. Here's my Mexico version:

Jasmine rice

Parboiled rice (not minute rice)

Plain old rice

Oaxaca cheese

Adobera cheese

Cotija cheese

Cheddar cheese

Eggs

Limes

Tomato salsa

Tomatillo salsa

Fresh masa

Rice vinegar

Fish sauce

Tamarind

Gochujang

Peanuts

Soy sauce

Wheat

Bulgur

Oatmeal

Garbanzo beans

Flor de mayo beans

Flax seeds

Nopal tostadas

Nopal tortillas

MANGOES!

Onions

Tomatoes

Avocados

Garlic

Carrots

Milk

I usually have a big bag (20+ lbs) of rice, pinto beans, wheat (for making bread), oatmeal, and cat food.

I like to keep 3 5lb bags each of pastry and bread flour in the house, 10 lbs of sugar, plenty of frozen greens, more baking yeast and baking powder than I think I'll need before I can get to the store again, and a few "homemade TV dinners" for sick/busy days.

dd2 used to tease me about how much jam, canned fruit, spaghetti sauce, and pickles I made every autumn, but it was no big deal to feed the last adult kid whose world fell apart until he got back on his feet and I intend to restock.

Interesting topic!

Canned: pinto, black, and refried beans; chicken and beef broth; pumpkin; evaporated milk; tuna; corn; tomato sauce; spaghetti sauce

Fresh: bananas, avocados, romaine lettuce, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, cilantro, potatoes

Dairy: lots of coffee creamer, milk, various cheeses, butter

Frozen: frozen fruit; ice cream; chicken breasts; meatballs; various sale and/or discounted meat

Pantry: rice, tortillas, bread for toast, pasta, bread crumbs, cereal, instant oatmeal, baking things, chocolate chips, almonds, peanut butter, honey, salad dressing, bottled water--oh, and coffee!!

(I've decided it's worse to be without coffee than it is to be without toilet paper!)

This is merely an exercise in curiosity. :) I'm wondering what foods people generally always buy and/or keep on hand. I don't necessarily mean staples which almost everybody keeps, such as salt, flour, tea, etc. I mean those items that are common to what you usually cook and eat, and which you normally have in reserve stocks. Here are some of mine:

Canned: corn, green beans, black beans, kidney beans, chicken broth, tomatoes (4 types), tuna.

Fresh: onions, green peppers, garlic, carrots, celery, lettuce.

Dairy: milk, half and half, butter, cheddar, mozzarella.

Frozen: ground beef, chicken breasts. Usually bacon and pork tenderloin.

ETA: I forgot rice, potatoes and pasta. I hardly ever run out of them. Coffee, too. Running out would be sacrilege!

most of what you listed we consider basic staples.  if we were broke, we'd still have most of them on hand.  (and have.)  except the only thing we keep around that's canned are tomatoes and tomato paste. we have frozen corn and peas.  (we freeze cheese - jack and mozzarella)

chocolate chips

cocoa powder

powdered sugar

green chile peppers - canned

sausage - frozen

varies other forms of meat, pork and beef in addition to hamburger (frozen)

whipping cream

sour cream

cream cheese

there's other stuff,

dh also has pickled herring.  . . . (he get's along great with some norwegian friends . . . . )

This is what I always check to make sure we have on hand (depending on season for the produce):

Canned: tomatoes, chicken broth, chickpeas, kidney beans and black beans (usually just use dried but like to have a couple on hand just in case), tuna, articokes, olives and beets

Fresh/fridge stuff: bananas, apples, avocados, kiwis, strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, onions, garlic, celery, red peppers, carrots, kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, chia seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax, maple syrup, peanut butter, and orange juice

Meat: chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, chicken sausage, ground beef and turkey breast, inside round roast

Dairy: mozzarella, cheddar, butter, cottage cheese, plain yougurt, rice milk, eggs and egg whites

Frozen: mangoes, blueberries, peas, corn, cheese tortellini, and salmon burgers

Pantry: rice, quinoa, oats regular rolled and steel cut, bulgar, various whole wheat pastas, wasa crackers, almonds, walnuts, various beans and lentils, honey, coffee, large variety of herbal teas and most importantly my matcha tea - can't function without that!

No wonder my grocery bill is so high! Lol

I do this too, but with espresso and milk. Almost like an iced white mocha. But where do you buy yours? I buy mine at Trader Joe's, but it's a seasonal item and I'm almost out.

I bought mine at a Mexican grocery. I was going on about how excited I was when the cashier laughed and said, "I almost hate to tell you this because you seem so happy with your find, but I'm pretty sure they sell it at the Safeway." And they do, in the section with Mexican food. 

Burrito fixins, chicken breasts, and ground beef for dinners

Coffee

Heavy cream

Butter

Eggs

Bananas

Apples

Various veggies, usually consisting of lettuce, cucumber, broccoli, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, and avocados

Cheddar and Pepperjack cheese

Tortilla chips

Canned: green chiles, green beans, corn, soup, tuna

Canned: green beans, corn, tomato sauce, mushroom soup, tuna, peaches (home canned though), raspberry or strawberry jam (homemade sugar free usually), and some sort of other soup for dh to take to work in a pinch.

Pantry: ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce (usually homemade but if I run out I keep the other stuff there), rice, rolled oats, steel cut oats, variety of beans and lentils, honey, coffee, tea, einkorn wheat berries, white and brown sugar, maple syrup, rice vinegar, fish sauce, tamari sauce or soy sauce, olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, baking powder, a WIDE variety of spices, cocoa, raisins, chocolate chips, dehydrated onion, garlic, basil, oregano, dill, and chives, potatoes from the garden (I only keep a small bag in the house at a time though), braided onions and garlic from the garden (they do run out about a month before the next ones come in, carrots (only a few at a time from the root cellar), chia seeds, peanut butter.

Fridge: milk, apples or bananas, eggs, cheddar cheese, swiss cheese, homemade chocolate syrup, lettuce, spinach, cucumber

Freezer: chicken of some sort (usually a whole chicken from a nearby farm), lamb roast, beef roast, all beef sausages, hamburger, lamb hamburger, peas, dehydrated apple slices, saskatoon berries, salmon.

I might be missing something, but it's a pretty big rarity for a person not to find these in my home. I try to keep them all in stock.

Washed and ready to eat spinach or lettuce mix, nuts, cheese, peanut butter, honey, bananas, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, EVOO, oats, raisins, Cheerios, frozen berries, canned and dry beans, broth, rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, eggs, some type of beef or chicken, fish, tortillas......

Mostly we eat vegan, in season, so not a lot of standard foods. I also buy bulk, so we'll have 20 pounds of green beans, then 10 pounds of lemons, then 20 pounds of corn, then 40 pounds of cucumbers, but rarely the same thing twice in a year.

Things we usually keep on hand:

Onions -50 pounds

Potatoes-50 pounds

Rice-25-50 pounds

Dry beans

Almond milk (flax milk right now, because it was cheap. Maybe we will switch)

Coconut cream

Butter

Cabbage

Lettuce

Soy sauce

Vegeta

Eggs

Olive oil

Coconut oil

I buy it at TJs too usually, but I have refilled the TJs bottle with regular canned. :)

Pantry:

Olive Oil

Spaghetti

Asian noodles of various types

Rice (4 types at the moment, although Basmati is the must-have)

Couscous

Tinned tomatoes

Tinned chickpeas

Tinned coconut milk

Pine nuts

Peanuts

Soy sauce

Fish sauce

Vinegars (usually 3 or 4 types)

Tahina

Peanut butter (for satay sauce, never eat the stuff on bread, ick!)

Many, many spices, mostly Indian or Middle Easter, some herbs but not many

Eggs

Fridge / Freezer:

Homemade bread crumbs

Frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn)

Frozen peas

Green curry paste

Tomato sauce, mayo and sweet chilli sauce

Lemon and/or lime juice

Cheese (cheddar and feta, usually)

Olives (pickled ourselves)

Chillis (pickled ourselves, dh usually has multiple types taking up space)

Fruit and veg:

Apples and bananas

Onions and spring onions

All other fruit and vegetables, and meats are usually bought with a specific meal in mind. There is often chicken mince, beef mince and frozen cooked chicken in the freezer as standby, though.

Baby spinach, carrots, celery, green onions, onions, spring mix, squash, bell peppers, other veg in season.

Apples, bananas, oranges or tangerines, lemons, avocados, frozen (usually home frozen) blueberries, strawberries, and peaches, fruit in season such as melon, grapes, nectarines, plums.

Dave's Killer Bread, popcorn, quinoa, lentils, black beans, chickpeas, jasmine rice, brown rice, tortilla chips, salt and pepper Kettle Chips, mixed nuts, pistachios, oats, chocolate chips, masa.

Adam's Peanut Butter, Jif, olives, diced green chiles, diced tomatoes, whole canned tomatoes, curry paste (green and yellow), coconut milk, unsweetened applesauce, polenta, Pacific Foods organic Tomato Soup, granola, cheerios, good black tea, green tea, sleepytime vanilla tea, Hershey's Dark Chocolate Syrup.

Milk, half and half, eggs, butter, cheddar, parmigiano, condiments, home jarred refrigerator pickles, hummus, salsa (if not homemade), tortillas, OJ, Nancy's plain yogurt, blackberry jam, homemade strawberry jam.

Frozen peas, frozen fruit, frozen chickens (for broth).

Various people in our household (we share a house) always have soy milk, almond milk, kefir, and kombucha.

Pantry: bulgar wheat, couscous, four types of rice, pasta (various), fresh udon noodles, about twenty jars of Chinese ingredients, dried peas, beans and lentils (various kinds), about thirty dried spices/herbs (in addition to herbs from the garden), eggs

Fridge: garlic, fresh ginger, apples, onions, two kinds of potatoes, celery, carrots, various forms of green veg (seasonal), bacon, cheddar cheese

Freezer: frozen fish fillets, both smoked and plain; whatever meat was cheap/about to expire at the supermarket; sliced peppers, baby broad beans, peas, corn

L

Milk, eggs, yogurt, cheddar, parmesan, butter, coffee creamer

Peanut butter, jam, quick cook oats, tortillas, coffee brown rice, ww pasta, whole grain bread (since I fell out of the baking routine.)

Ground beef, chicken, frozen shrimp.

Bananas, apples, carrots, celery, broccoli, tomatoes.

Rum, cranberry juice, pineapple juice.  Hard tea in season. :sneaky2:

I try to mix it up with the rest, but those are my stand bys.

Eggs, various cheeses (sliced, blocks, shredded), milk, sour cream, butter, bananas, apples, whatever fruit is on sale, baby carrots, frozen veggies (cauliflower, spinach, peas, green beans, broccoli -- I stock up whenever these go on sale), whatever fresh veggies are on sale, walnuts, bleu cheese, parmesan cheese, peanut butter, all-fruit preserves, canned tomatoes, canned beans (black, chickpeas, white beans of some sort), dried beans if I know I want to make something specific with them, crackers for the kids, coffee, basic baking supplies, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, minced garlic, salsa, pepper, sea salt, cinnamon, basil, oats, raisins, heavy cream (for the coffee), hot sauce, onions, mushrooms, lettuce/salad mix, stevia.

I try to keep chicken breast and some ground meat on hand, in the freezer.  Also, I keep some sort of frozen fruit in the freezer too, but it varies, and we hardly use it in the winter.

COFFEE  (one of my best friends bought me a sign to put in my kitchen, it reads:  I drink coffee for your protection!" She knows me WELL!)

Milk

Bananas

Rice

Butter

Bread

Tortilla shells

Curry powder

chicken

I usually have a tremendous amount of home canned, dehydrated, and frozen foods from our co-garden with my folks combined with produce from local Amish farmers. So, even though I'm down to the last left from the 2013 harvest, I still have:

Dehydrated - onions, red and yellow peppers, a small amount of apple slices and strawberries (I try to ration these or the boys would eat them all in the first month, LOL), leeks, garlic, basil

Frozen - broccoli, a few ears of sweet corn, asparagus, carrots, enough peas for a few more soups, blueberries, raspberries, and one quart bag of melon balls.

Canned - green beans, tomatoes, salsa, pasta sauce, California mix, four pints of peaches (so we will definitely run out of those soon), 4 pints of applesauce (again, not going to last long), plenty of pintos, kidneys, and black turtle beans to make it until September

Items that we buy and try to keep around all the time - organic brown rice, 1/4 organically raise beef - I ration it to make it last a year, and in the autumn a dear friend hunts a doe for us so I mix it with venison, some chicken, and always a large bag of frozen walleye, tilapia, or salmon fillets. I try not to run out of fish because we eat it twice per week. In the winter, Walleye is very cheap here and is a nice mild, flaky fish. I keep several cans of clams for clam chowder, some cans of tuna, potatoes, a couple boxes of brown rice pasta, and eggs. I'm feeding three very hungry teenage boys so "never run out of eggs" is my mantra! We aren't huge grain eaters so having bread, or any type of flour, even oats on hand is not a high priority. Usually though, I have enough flour around to make some blueberry pancakes a couple times a month for them or some muffins. They like homemade whole grain blueberry and raspberry muffins. However, I would say that I use maybe only 10th or less what would be standard in most households in terms of baking supplies.  I do buy a fair amount of salad greens during the off gardening season.