Menu

Help me write this rule for my new co-op...

Michelle My Bell

I think that the issue is largely one of framing... the negative reactions here are because it is unusual for a coop to work like this, and seems pretty inflexible.  But it's not really a coop... it sounds more like you're planning a class where the parent and child are supposed to team up and work together while doing a creative project, and that this class isn't appropriate for younger children.  I think that that is totally normal, and there are plenty of activities like that out there, which shows that it's totally doable.

I do think, though, that you need to frame it as what it is, and depending on your community/audience, you need to think about the best time to offer it.  

If most of the people you want to advertise this to have 1-2 pre-teen and teenage kids, or if you live in a very affluent area where it's normal for SAHMs to have nannies and adult sitters on call, then it probably requires no tweaking.  If your community does have lots of homeschoolers with large families or a broad age range, though, you will probably have trouble recruiting people.  I don't think it's common at all for people to have family and neighbors who will watch their preschool aged kids on the regular.  If that's the case, you might want to consider holding the class in the evening or on weekends.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will have a hard time finding families willing and able to meet your strict parameters. And no, I would not pay a babysitter so that I could take one child to a class. I think your idea would work better with a stable location and parents taking turns watching younger kids on-site.

King fu panda,

The reason for the parents participating in the nature journaling is to enrich them as people and to see the beauty around them. Same reason why the kids do it. My intention was never just to keep them busy. I was saying I don't like it when moms do that and this would be a solution but it wasn't the reason for the idea. I just want the parents to be as engaged in these wonderful activities as their kids.

As for the babysitting, I might see about hiring a couple of high school girls to be possible babysitters for those who may not have someone. It would be low cost, but not free. I'd rather not do the co-op if I had tons of littles around.

I still think it is a co-op. I plan to have some of the parents lead different activities. I won't be hiring everything out.

I have to say thanks to everyone as you have given me a lot to think about. I am sure I'll come here with more thoughts as I develop my plans.

FWIW, I had sitters (my DH or my mom) when I was taking kids to different classes (art, ballet, rock climbing...)  I don't do those classes anymore but that is mostly due to logistics and cost.  Obviously, combining all the kids in one class is a time saver, but it doesn't always appeal to every family. 

Set up the class the way you envision it, see if anyone else shares that vision and move forward.  But I do agree that people seem to have a set idea of what a co-op is so a name change might help you avoid some of the negative feedback. 

Also, I'm sorry for giving the impression that one parent per child is required. That's not my intention. Basically I just want to see the parents involved. For instance, I have 3 or 4 kids I will be bringing. We might sit down and do the nature journaling all together but once inside I might be more of an encourager or helper while they are doing woodworking. When there is a book talk, I would listen more than talk. But I would be focused on what was going on with the kids, not talking with the other parents off in the corner.

I think that it's really hard for homeschooling moms to be around each other and not talk. We are with our children, interacting with them, "doing school" with them all day long. Part of the beauty of an outside class is for kids to learn from another adult, kids to interact with non-sibling peers, and yes -- Moms to cross paths and interact with one another.

I am sure you are an amazing teacher with a lot of vision but there is no way I could sign up for this. I have a full plate. For free, I juggle schooling my bigs and keeping littles entertained. I couldn't justify paying money but still having to participate in the actual class time AND pay money to have littles entertained. There would be very little net gain for me (like free time to run errands, time to interact with other moms, time with my littles, etc). Basically, it's paying to do what I already do for free (school the bigs, participating right alongside them) but then paying extra to have my littles out of the way. 

Also, I'm sorry for giving the impression that one parent per child is required. That's not my intention. Basically I just want to see the parents involved. For instance, I have 3 or 4 kids I will be bringing. We might sit down and do the nature journaling all together but once inside I might be more of an encourager or helper while they are doing woodworking. When there is a book talk, I would listen more than talk. But I would be focused on what was going on with the kids, not talking with the other parents off in the corner.

I understood this is what you were talking about.  That's why I thought sending a few parents off with any younger kids to do a separate activity somewhere close by would be a good idea - then you don't have to hire teenagers or anyone else, pay them and coordinate how they get there and back home, and there are less parents sitting around thinking there are plenty of other adults so they start chatting.  Also, it gives the parents that would rather go do to playground or do something else where they could chat a coop job where they can get some social time, and still be supporting the coop.

I really do understand this - we had a Waldorf-inspired coop when the kids were young.  We were very clear that each parent had a job to do, and that they were supposed to be engaged in doing something purposeful, not chatting in the background.  This does make a huge difference in the tone of the coop day. The key was to make sure everyone had something purposeful to do, but every job wasn't alongside the kids.  We had teachers (we ended up with 3 classrooms going by the end), outdoor supervisors, kitchen prep (we served a hot lunch), clean-up, etc.  There were also some at-home jobs.  We give everyone some down-time during the day (it was a few hours) so that they weren't "on" the whole time, but that would be out of sight and ear-shot of where the kids were - then they could chat away. :)  I know this is a much different set-up than you're talking about, but I just wanted to say I know what you mean about the parents being engaged vs. viewing this as social time for themselves. 

See, I am wondering, don't people have grandmas or friends who could watch their kids for them twice a month? I realize that some might not, but wouldn't most?

nope.  my family lives 2 hours away I have no friends out here.  What I see with homeschoolers out here is that they do not have those sorts of supports either.  When we lived in the city it was about 50-50% who had other help.  But even if I had famiy or friends close by they all work during the day.  SO while I get to be home all day and pick and choose activities etc they are at work 8-4/9-5 and would not be available to babysit anyway.  Add to that most homeschooling families are living on one income, I don't know about your region but out here it costs $10 per hour for a babysitter, there is no way I would be paying a babysitter to watch my littles while I do nature studies etc with my older, and presumably pay a fee for that co-op too.  I would save my money, and take my kids out on my own with out a group.

Our support group out here meets once a month in the evening, no kids allowed.  Of all the homeschoolers in the region only 4-6 make it to this meeting once a month because they don't have childcare available and that is in the evening, during the day when they have planned activities where only a certain age and up can attend they have had situations of only 1-2 participants.  Such is the case for a class coming up in a week.  so far they have 1 family signed up with 2 kids, because it was for ages 12+ and no younger siblings allowed and mom supposed to stay.  1 family, that's it.  That's a waste of time and space imo.

My feelings about this really depend on if there is money involved. I'm someone who could participate because I don't have younger kids, but honestly, I spend all day with my kids learning together and if I'm going to shell out money, it's not going to be for something that I could do with the kids on my own.  I pay for classes to give them independence and experiences away from me, and vice versa. I see the role of a teacher to take care of discipline issues and I'm certainly not going to stick around for that only.  If there's no money involved...  maybe.  If it was something we all wanted to do together.  But then I would probably want to plan it with other friends together, and not have it be a top down sort of thing that you sign up for.

I agree with everyone else that it's incredibly presumptuous to think that most people can afford to hire a babysitter for a class or happen to live near family.  But people with older kids only or singletons may be interested.

FWIW, I'd sell this as a "class", not a co-op (maybe a parent-participation class?). 

It sounds like a great idea.  People in my area throw ideas like this up on the local homeschooling facebook page and I'm always a little jealous I can't make it work with my kids.  Lots of other people do make it work.

See, I am wondering, don't people have grandmas or friends who could watch their kids for them twice a month? I realize that some might not, but wouldn't most?

My sister didn't. Grandparents don't live close. And she struggled to get childcare when she needed it.  We only have childcare because we use a drop-in childcare place we pay through the nose for. I'm not sure I'd choose to do it for a class for my older son. Really would depend on the subject, etc. The friends we trust well enough to keep the kids work during the day.

We run into this expectation a lot in church groups -- that everyone has people close by who can watch their kids twice a month so they can go to small group studies..

I wanted to say this, but didn't, lol. I have no desire to participate in co-op class with my children - that's why I pay for such things (co-op, dance, sports, etc). I wouldn't pay for a class I have to participate in, frankly.

My feelings about this really depend on if there is money involved. I'm someone who could participate because I don't have younger kids, but honestly, I spend all day with my kids learning together and if I'm going to shell out money, it's not going to be for something that I could do with the kids on my own.  I pay for classes to give them independence and experiences away from me, and vice versa. I see the role of a teacher to take care of discipline issues and I'm certainly not going to stick around for that only.  If there's no money involved...  maybe.  If it was something we all wanted to do together.  But then I would probably want to plan it with other friends together, and not have it be a top down sort of thing that you sign up for.

I agree with everyone else that it's incredibly presumptuous to think that most people can afford to hire a babysitter for a class or happen to live near family.  But people with older kids only or singletons may be interested.

I'd say getting babysitters will be hard/impossible for most families with children in that age range. I'd assume, when writing the rules, that families with kids under 6 won't participate. Thinking back to my kids-under-6 years, even when I lived near family, I didn't ever have family I could ask to sit during the daytime on a regular basis. I'd have never wasted rare (expensive financially or expensive in the favors-cashed-in department) babysitting for a kid activity! I'd only use it for date nights. :)

So, as long as you are OK with that, then I'd say just make the rule very clear from the get go. I agree that having rules clear before involving too many cooks in the kitchen makes life much easier. :)

Good luck!

Michelle,

I am part of a co-op that has grown to 80 families with more wanting to be a part.  We have just started the process to break into smaller groups to meet more families' needs and provide a closer community.  Once our leader decided to make the change, she graciously encouraged everyone to create groups based on their preferences and needs.  It has been a pretty amazing thing to watch how things have progressed. We currently will have 3 co-ops next year: one meeting 3x a month based on specific curriculum, one meeting 2x a month focusing on enrichment for 0-12, one meeting 2x a month focusing on high school, but also providing enrichment for 0-8 grades.  Each group is so different and the moms seem to be so much happier when considering next year because they were able to create a co-op based on their needs.

When we were discussing this big transition I explained by comparing it to shoe shopping. There isn't really a one size fits all shoe for everyone that is everyone's favorite shoe. In giving freedom to create co-ops with that aren't geared toward everyone, it is like the moms are finally able to wear shoes that fit them better. Even if you aren't a big shoe shopper, a good fitting pair of shoes is something most people appreciate.

So, let the families in your area know what type of shoes you like to wear and see if anyone else does too.  You may be surprised at how many other families would be interested, but even if the number is small, I bet you will be much happier because you will be wearing shoes you like!

Hope you find shoes that make your heart happy.

Skip the handbook. Cancel Coop. Invite friends you know who honor your requests over for a project day at your home instead. 

This problem is being discussed in my coop right now and it was an issue in the coop at our old town too. 

Its a problem you can address, but never truly gets resolved. 

I think hiring a couple of teens to babysit would be a nice option - dd did this for a while for a neighborhood Bible study group. She and a friend were paid $3 or so per child for an hour. But you'd also have to have separate space for them, which might be tricky.

I also love reading the responses here. You all give so many perspectives that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. Michelle, your plan sounds like just the wonderful, relaxing kind of class that many people will love.

Skip the handbook. Cancel Coop. Invite friends you know who honor your requests over for a project day at your home instead.

This problem is being discussed in my coop right now and it was an issue in the coop at our old town too.

Its a problem you can address, but never truly gets resolved.

I always seem to ask questions that get all the controversy. It cracks me up! lol All I asked was how to write a rule for my new co-op and now I'm being told to skip it all. lol If my house was a beautiful park with a couple acres and had its own naturalist, I might go with this idea.

People, I'm sorry everyone feels like I'm doing a disservice to my homeschool community but there are other homeschool co-ops in my area. We have one classical conversations group, and several others that are traditional co-ops. I realize my ideas are different, but that is why I like them. That is also why someone else may like them. I don't participate in those other co-ops because they are not what I'm looking for. Someone else may be looking for something new as well.

I always seem to ask questions that get all the controversy. It cracks me up! lol All I asked was how to write a rule for my new co-op and now I'm being told to skip it all. lol If my house was a beautiful park with a couple acres and had its own naturalist, I might go with this idea.

People, I'm sorry everyone feels like I'm doing a disservice to my homeschool community but there are other homeschool co-ops in my area. We have one classical conversations group, and several others that are traditional co-ops. I realize my ideas are different, but that is why I like them. That is also why someone else may like them. I don't participate in those other co-ops because they are not what I'm looking for. Someone else may be looking for something new as well.

Honestly, I that why a lot of co-ops don't work, is that they try to be everything to everyone.  It doesn't sound like you are trying to get a school full of children started in the fall. To me, it sounds like you would like to get a handful of families together, that have similar needs/interests/ages and want to have a half-dozen or dozen classes offering some enrichment that would be hard to get as a single family.  Since you are putting the effort into putting together a rule book, it seems like you are preparing for it to grow, but aren't expecting 20 families to sign up the first week.  

I don't think that is is an impossible goal.  I think it sounds like a good idea and I hope you find families who can attend. 

I don't think your idea is bad... but it is a different use of the word "co-op" than I have ever seen before. I've done a series of classes like that, but didn't require every parent to stay. I just called it "Biology Dissection Group", created some parameters, advertised it in the homeschool community, and a group was formed that met once a month for six months. That is typically how temporary groups work around here.

I just want to say I would love your co-op (by the sound of it!) and its rules :)

Not all moms will be put off by the requirements you mention here. Some will, but others will appreciate the clarity and focus.

I think it sounds lovely, also.

For the record, when DD was in public school last year, the younger sibling rule was in force there also.  All of the volunteer opportunities prohibited younger siblings in tow.  I had to find a sitter for an hour to hour and half each time during regular school hours.  It was tough because I did not have reliable go-to sitters that weren't other mothers that weren't volunteering also, but I did make it a few times because, well, I wanted to volunteer so I made it work.  I suspect that there will be others who will be interested in this coop who could do the same.

Ironically, I couldn't participate in a coop I liked the year before because membership required so many teaching hours by the parent.  I had two littles in tow that year and no long-time sitting available.  An hour here and there I could find but not 4 hours.  I had to miss out but membership was always full there so clearly others made it work.

I totally agree with you, better to be clear about your intentions than try to meet the needs of everyone.  I think where you may have lost people was here:

I think people were just surprised that you would assume that that type of help is available to most people.

That said, I run a co-op and I have absolutely seen the issues that you are trying to head off.  I think you're on the right track by spelling everything in advanced.  If you desire to help out those who would like to participate, but have younger kids, it would be nice if you would allow the moms to rotate out of participating in order to have one mom babysit.  If you don't desire to do that, then I would word it something like this:

This is a co-op for children aged 6 and up.  One parent is expected to stay and participate with their child(ren).  Alternative arrangements will need to be made for children under 6.

I don't think your idea is bad... but it is a different use of the word "co-op" than I have ever seen before. I've done a series of classes like that, but didn't require every parent to stay. I just called it "Biology Dissection Group", created some parameters, advertised it in the homeschool community, and a group was formed that met once a month for six months. That is typically how temporary groups work around here.

Yes, this too.  I learned when I started this co-op that people come with a preconceived notion of what that word means.  To some it means one parent teaches, everyone else gets to leave.  To others it means all parents stay and pitch in.  The required participation is a somewhat different take on the word co-op, but I think calling it a class would definitely give the impression of drop-off.  Series or group might be a better choice.  I think the most important thing is what you are doing, which is to spell things out in detail so that people don't fill in the blanks with their own misconceptions.  

Currently we live only 1.5 hours from the nearest family, so much better then the 10-15 hours over the last 7-8 years.  Most of the HSer's I've known in larger POP. areas also live away from family or have family that works, is to ill/busy to care for G-kids. You could occasionally find a few HSer's at the local park on a Sat. for a class because Mom/Dad stayed home with the littles.  I personally would love a class for my DC and I to attend where I'm not teaching or running after distracted peoples kids.  Then again I don't have to worry about the rule since my youngest is 10.....  

I also taught a class where youngers weren't allowed (relaxed a bit on that for well behaved close to age sibs).  But this was a drop off with parent helper rotation.  One mother with a 3 y.o. who would not stay with anyone sent G-ma as the helper.  We even got a dad or 2 and 1X a G-pa.

Homeschooling is not a monolith and the demographics vary from place to place. In my immediate area I would say most homeschoolers have 1-3 kids and many of them don't have small children anymore. There is a market for things that cater to that older kid demographic. Certainly the number of 1-2 kid families massively overshadows the number of families with 4 or more kids. I'd just jump in and see if you can sell it. If you can, great. If you can't, no harm no foul. I think your main market is not people with younger kids getting sitters but people without little kids.

I would be more circumspect about generalizing that most parents have babysitters. Here it seems that most people are from somewhere else and their families are far flung. Also, grandma could be near but with a job of her own or otherwise unavailable. I do have a wide network of friends and some family to trade sitting with but that doesn't seem to be the norm. I don't think at this point I would ask for an ongoing class. More like "my older son is in the spelling bee, will you watch the younger one because he'll be bored at a 3 hour spell off?" ;)

sadly, no. MANY MANY people don't have these networks. My Grandmas live hours away, and if not, they were young enough that they'd be often employed, working all day. My other friends are homeschoolers too, who may or may not be involved in the co-op. If not, there's no way that I'd impose on someone on a weekly basis with my littles. My siblings and dh's siblings are too far away, but either employed, homeschooling their own kids, or otherwise occupied in the daytime hours.

I've found that it's really difficult for people who have close by family to understand that the dynamic of "If littles can't come then we all can't come" often erupts due to these family situations. When I had kids under 3, I was in this boat. My olders were old enough to participate, but not old enough to be dropped off. Dad was working all day. I wasn't trying to be a knucklehead, but I politely declined if my younger kids didn't have a class or some sort of arrangement.  I did not go in and try to change things, nor did I allow my youngers to be disruptive, but my olders did miss out on stuff that would've been fun because littles weren't allowed.

I think your class idea sounds lovely. However, it would be impractical for larger families without extended family support or a reliable daytime babysitter. I hope you are able to find a workable solution.

On the child-minding network concept, I actually HAD this for a while, but people here assume that the need ends when your (oldest) kids hit 5yo (and/or most of them just don't understand homeschooling so they either don't want to interrupt or they don't want to support the needs that are there or they don't understand the needs).  So really, they have moved on in who they support.  I have a really helpful set of in-laws, and other people I COULD call if I needed to, but a regular thing is a lot to ask of anyone in my support group.

ETA: but anyways, OP, it does sound really neat, and I bet you will find families that are interested! :)

• 3 months later...

My kids only have 1 grandma. She still works full time. Your rule would exclude our family. I like to save my requests for help for the essentials. We have doctors appointments (several monthly) that would be difficult with the kids. That is a situation I'd call a friend or grandma. I don't think your idea is wrong but I do think it will exclude a lot of people. Honestly, my friends are the same as me. No family near by and saving their help requests for when they really need it.

Nope. I didn't. And so I would not have done anything like this unless it was less than, oh, five minutes from my house and I could drop off the one attending.

I think your class idea sounds lovely. However, it would be impractical for larger families without extended family support or a reliable daytime babysitter. I hope you are able to find a workable solution.

Not only that, but gosh...for me, one of the major benefits of homeschooling is the fact that we are learning together, as a family, multiple ages of people working together to learn things. It isn't that we have to do *everything* together, but a daytime class, which right off the bat is going to suck time out of my own homeschooling efforts, where I'm going to drop off one child and then go hang out with the others, is just not something I'm interested in doing. For older children, courses which I cannot easily do at home (lab sciences, math above algebra, etc.), that I can drop off, it would be worth it to me.

I certainly do not. We live thousands of miles from all of our family.

OP- this kind of rule with no accomodation for where younger kids would spend their time would make me not join your co-op. The co-op I belong to discourages young children from being in the classrooms, but also rotates schedules for teachers each term, so we have a staffed nursery and classes for the younger children.

We do happen to have someone, but if that particular person weren't available, we probably wouldn't. Grandparents are all out of state, and friends are either homeschoolers themselves or employed during the day.

Even if you can't have on-site childcare for younger kids, maybe you could have parents in the co-op exchange childcare (one parent watches the younger kids from both families, while the other takes the older kids from both families to the co-op).  

Oops, zombie thread. Oh well.

While there are definitely some families who will be miffed that they cannot participate, I think you will find families who are looking for just what you are offering, because they too are tired of young children being disruptive and adults chattering. Likely most of the families will be parents of only dc or parents who no longer have dc under 6. 

There's a season for certain activities and what you are offering is not the season for some families. So what? Such families attend things that no longer fit your family. 

No.  I would not have had that option.

I would have loved to have had the luxury of attending co op classes that were not over run with unruly toddlers and impolite adults. Although I certainly understand the need for some families to do everything together, it seems to me that they sometimes become immune to the chaos that multiple young children can create and do not comprehend how badly it can derail and disrupt a classroom. We quit attending our local co op many years ago for this very reason. I wanted dd to be in a co op class, not a day care hybrid. FWIW, there are many times when it is perfectly reasonable to expect everyone to interact with younger and older children alike, however a classroom learning situation is not that time.

Sadly, it always seems that there is "that group" of parents who don't understand how much their voices or laughter carry, even when they think they are being quiet. It got so bad in one youth organization in which we participate that I once interrupted my important safety briefing with, "Hey folks, I am trying to teach a class here. If you want to socialize, please take it outside!" At that point I didn't really care if I offended them. -I- was highly offended by their lack of consideration toward me and the students. I had made several polite requests previously, both broadcast to the group and directly to the offending parties, but to no avail.

Is it absolutely necessary for parents to be in the class also?  I'm thinking, for parents who DO have younger (under 6) children, they would be better off just dropping off their older children with you and caring for their younger children themselves.  Then, you could just have parents who do not have the younger children to worry about in your class. 

So, you could word it something like:

"Due to the nature of the course, only children actually registered for the class may be in the classroom.  We do welcome and even appreciate parents of students in the classroom, but will ask them to take part in the projects along with their children and assist other children who are not able to have a parent in the class with them."

I wouldn't have had that kind of childcare available when my kids were of an age to participate in such a program, no.

I have no family to speak of and have no relationship with the ones who are out there. We moved to thisvarea when our kids were little and did not have an established support network. My only friends at that point would have been other homeschooling patents with kids on the same age range.

The rule you are planning woyld have prevented mt family from joining your group.

What is the necessity of a co-op. Why not just hire an instructor and teach a specific class(es) to older children while parents relax and chat together or drop off their older child(ren)? Does the co-op concept of parents leading everything really keep costs and head-aches down that much, while maintaining a high quality class?

We do not have co-ops as you're describing in our area. It would never appeal to me, and I gather not too many others around here. If parents are going to group together for classes they either hire an instructor or do it in their homes with 3 or 4 families.

What is the necessity of a co-op. Why not just hire an instructor and teach a specific class(es) to older children while parents relax and chat together or drop off their older child(ren)? Does the co-op concept of parents leading everything really keep costs and head-aches down that much, while maintaining a high quality class?

We do not have co-ops as you're describing in our area. It would never appeal to me, and I gather not too many others around here. If parents are going to group together for classes they either hire an instructor or do it in their homes with 3 or 4 families.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I don't think this is such a foreign concept, it sounds to me like an older version of a "mommy and me" class.  Actually, if they offered such a thing in my area, I would be really interested to sign up.  For once or twice a month I could probably make arrangements for my other kids, and it would be a nice opportunity to do an activity with one child where we are both focused together -- like a special "date".  As it is, I try to arrange dates with my kids individually, but it's usually just taking one ds alone to a coffee shop (would likely cost as much as this class, lol); or taking dd with me to a Mary Kay demo (would cost as much if we bought anything); or taking ds hiking with an organized group; etc.  They are ecstatic to have alone time with me and it would be fun to have a shared experience.

I guess I don't see it as so out there, and if the OP cares to fly however-many-miles over here, lol, I would sign up!  If I was organizing, I might play up more the opportunity for a shared experience with your child.

Hi ladies, 

Thank you for mentioning my daughter. She is doing OK. She seems to be running a low grade fever, having a bit of upset tummy so we are headed to the orthopedic doctor tomorrow to check on her surgery site and address these issues. I suspect it has to do with the antibiotic. 

As far as the group goes, I have made some changes based on thoughts here and the general HS community where I live. The group has generated a lot of interest and we will be having registration next month. I say "we" because it is now a 3 person show. It is no longer a co-op and will be classes that are paid for. I will be working with ages 8-up, another mom will be working with ages 4-7 and the other lady will be giving Charlotte Mason mini-workshops each during the time we meet. I am not in charge of the real little ones so they are trying to decide how they will handle that. We are working with the local nature center to see about using 3 rooms, for our meetings and using the grounds for our nature study. We will meet twice a month August, September, October & November, take a break and resume January, February, March & April for 8 more sessions. 

We will cover Nature Study, Handicrafts, Poetry, Composer/Orchestra, Artist Study, Folkmusic. I am excited about it and glad to have these two ladies to help out.