Menu

What do you call the color of a typical tennis ball?

Susan in TN

What do you call the color of a typical tennis ball?  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the color of a typical tennis ball?

• Yellow
    • Green
    • Other, but you should really just pick one of the above colors.

Guest submarines

Lime Green

I think the defining point of 'lime' helps to indicate the yellowness (however, Australian limes tend to be lighter and yellower than what I see from Americans so this might be cultural!)

lime_solo.jpg

clime.jpg

Limes.jpg

IMG_5760.JPG

Anyone who is saying green has a vision problem.  Clearly it is not green.

(kidding, but I'm really not seeing green)

Actually, I seem to have a memory problem.  When I read the question, I pictured in my head a green tennis ball.  When I look at the pictures posted above, it is clear the balls are yellow.

Wow, I had no idea that "green" was even an option.

Is this about how people perceive colors, or about learning colors differently?

This is an interesting question.  Dh, who is partially colorblind, says it is yellow.  The rest of my family and I have always called them green.  At this point I don't think we are seeing different colors though, even with the colorblindness issue. 

The Dunlop looks yellow to me, but the Propenn and the Wilson ds had today look more green. 

I read somewhere that the official color "optic yellow" is actually considered a shade of green.

When I was young, I called "purple" what the Crayola Crayon calls "violet".  The kids in my 3rd grade class were always correcting me and I thought they should just shut up about it.  I think that is just how I learned that color, and am probably teaching my children incorrectly. :D

Greenish yellow was my first thought. Then, looking at the poll options, I thought I should go with yellow but was not really happy with that because they feel more green to me :tongue_smilie: . Then I did an image search to look at with fresh eyes. There are 2 definite types of standard tennis balls (some are yellow). Then I asked dh, and without hesitation his answer was green. That feels right to me too. So we are going with green. Final answer. :D

A google image search shows some balls that are yellow like the ones posted here, and some with more of a green tinge. Mentally, I can see them both ways. My immediate mental tennis ball was green-tinged yellow, and not straight yellow like the balls here, but, if forced to choose, I'd say more fluorescent yellow than green.

I call it chartreuse.

Me, too. It is a yellow-green color.

Yellow is a primary color (pure color, no mixture) and because this clearly has a greenish cast to it, I called it green. I didn't choose other only because you said not too, but it's yellow-green.

I have worked as an artist and still do it for a hobby. There is no yellow straight out of the tube that is that color. http://www.oldholland.com/products/classic-oil-colours/classic-oil-colours-colour-chart/  For instance, if you look at this chart, it's a diluted form of the cinnabar green or the yellow-green (see far right side.) None of the yellows has a strong green cast like that.