Menu

Are you deeply affected by weather?

Heather in Neverland

I've always considered myself somewhat moody. Then several years ago I began to see a trend and I noticed that my mood was greatly affected by the weather, especially sunlight. Detroit is a brutal place to grow up in that situation as the number of sunny days is low.

Even living in Malaysia where it is always hot, the rainy season makes me really moody because it goes on for weeks and it is gray and pouring rain for hours and hours at a time.

We are in the rainy season right now and I swear the sun had not been out in two weeks at least. Then today it just appeared. It was glorious. My mood instantly soared. But that just made me realize how easily and profoundly the lack of sunshine affects me.

It is not clinical depression by any means but there is a noticeable difference. I've even noticed that spending too much time in my office where lights are dim makes me cranky. But if I walk outside and it is sunny I am instantly in a good mood.

Is this fairly normal? Anyone else affected this way? I have to admit that I don't like my moods being so easily manipulated!

Is this fairly normal?

It sounds as if you have SAD -- Seasonal Affective Disorder.  It's common, and caused by a lack of sunlight.  There are special lights you can get to help.

I believe I have reverse SAD (not nearly as common).  I detest bright sunshine, especially when it's hot.  I feel like all my senses are being assaulted and it makes me desperately want to find a nice dim room to hide in.  Cloudy, cool, rainy days make me happy.

Changes in barometric pressure give me headaches, and I'm of the age where I can predict damp, and especially cold and damp, by the pains in various joints.  Despite that, I still love cloudy, cool days because of the mental boost they give me.

I've never really liked the sun.  Being in the sun gives me headaches.  I love cool, cloudy gloomy days.   In the last 5-10yrs I've started getting really bad headaches with an approaching thunderstorm or low pressure system.   I used to love thunderstorms too, so it makes me a little sad.

Wow, that is so interesting that some of you have the opposite problem and actually prefer the cloudy, rainy days! I have always wondered when people speak of places like the PNW as such a wonderful place because it seems like my worst nightmare in terms of lack of sunlight. I never want to move back to Michigan in large part because of the gray skies. I want to be where the sun shines all the time. :)

I wonder if they have those special lights here?

Heather, I am like you. I positively *wilt* when the sun isn't out, and when the sun comes back out and I can turn my face up to it, I feel like I am standing taller. We are heading into the season I despise the most because the sun does not shine for months on end~~it is just only blah, gray sky. It's horrid. I don't mind the rain and the cold, but the lack of sun sure affects me.

Someone just last week told me that even though my mood isn't affected, I should buy a SAD light. I don't know if it will help or not, but I may just try it.  I can't see how it will work, though... will I need to hang it from the ceiling so I can turn my face up to it and 'bask'? :lol:  Dh swears I'm part reptile, so maybe that is what I need to do!

We recently had a cold front come through and drop the temperature from 90+ to the mid-70's overnight. My mood instantly got better. Summer, heat, humidity, sun all make me as grumpy as an old bear. Give me some classic fall weather, cool and cloudy, any day!

I hate the heat, but i hate the rain and gloom more.  I definitely get more headaches when its raining and am higher energy on sunny days as long as I am not out in heat above 80 or even 75.  My boys are the same way.  I have friends who LOVE rainy weather and i have friends who LOVE intense heat . . its weird.  My favorite weather is bright sunshine and 28 degrees maybe 30, with snow on the ground.  and i live in virginia  :glare:

I've never been formally diagnosed with SAD but am quite sure I have it. I started using a light box last winter and think it helps. Perhaps it's merely the placebo effect, but the end result is it makes winter more bearable for me. 

I'm a farmer's daughter, so rain makes me happy unless it drags on and causes flooding, as was the case earlier this year. In the words of Luke Bryan, "Rain is a good thing" (or "thang," if you prefer). I remember once seeing Dad jumping, laughing, and doing a little dance out in the rain after one drought.

I wouldn't say I'm deeply affected, but I'm definitely affected by lack of sunlight. Occasionally we get a tropical storm that hangs around for days and it stays cloudy. When that happens I don't feel like doing anything I'm supposed to do. I always say I'd love to live in the PNW because my beliefs fit in with most people who live there. In reality I know I couldn't handle the lack of daily sunshine.

"Reverse SAD" is horrible.  I have had it since childhood, but never knew what it was until around twelve years ago when a doctor explained it to me.  If the temperature is greater than the mid-70s, if the sun is beating down, I am miserable.  The major depression increases sharply. 

On a cool, overcast day, my mood soars with joy.  The temperature even trumps the sunlight.  A cold, bright day also is wonderful.

seasonal affective disorder - SAD.  it's very common in winter in the northwest.  you can buy lights that are on the correct spectrum, and high enough lumens, to give your body the light it needs.

what I'm noticing most is my ankle stiffens up (I seriously rolled it last year) when the barometric pressure drops.  great.

I believe I have reverse SAD (not nearly as common).  I detest bright sunshine, especially when it's hot.  I feel like all my senses are being assaulted and it makes me desperately want to find a nice dim room to hide in.  Cloudy, cool, rainy days make me happy.

I've never really liked the sun.  Being in the sun gives me headaches.  I love cool, cloudy gloomy days.

We recently had a cold front come through and drop the temperature from 90+ to the mid-70's overnight. My mood instantly got better. Summer, heat, humidity, sun all make me as grumpy as an old bear. Give me some classic fall weather, cool and cloudy, any day!

"Reverse SAD" is horrible.  I have had it since childhood, but never knew what it was until around twelve years ago when a doctor explained it to me.  If the temperature is greater than the mid-70s, if the sun is beating down, I am miserable.  The major depression increases sharply. 

On a cool, overcast day, my mood soars with joy.  The temperature even trumps the sunlight.  A cold, bright day also is wonderful.

These are me, too.  I absolutely LOVE cool, cloudy, rainy days.  I especially love stormy days.  Sunlight only "works" for me if it's accompanied by cool, even cold weather.  And even then, I'd rather have the clouds and rain.  Given that I'm always cold, too, my children have decided that I *must* be a vampire. :D

I never heard of this before.  I get a little grief from my sis and BIL, from time to time, because they are sun-lovers, and your post makes me feel a little better. 

Yeah, the heat bothers me.  I can take the sun more on a cool/cold day than on a hot day.   I'm so happy it's in the 70's now!  Fall is my fav. season.

My husband is the opposite.  He loves the hot humid days of summer.  Ugh. 

I hadn't heard of this explained this way. But, it exactly describes my dh. He is miserable in warm, hot sunny weather, happiest if it is in the 60s (or lower). He likes rain/drizzle, but also likes sunny days in the freezing cold. He is so happy in the winter (which is the only time that it is cool or sometimes cold where we live.)

I used to like the heat/sun a lot. But, we live where it is hot too much of the time & I guess dh has rubbed off on me. I prefer cool (& sometimes even cold) weather. I would love to live where we could ski often.

I love rainy temperate gloomy weather.  I hate lots of sunshine and heat.  My Viking ancestry shines through!!   :lol:  It doesn't give me SAD, but it makes me feel drained and lethargic like a vampire.  I think also in the Winter/Fall there are more holidays, birthdays, and fun seasonal things that make my days happier.  Pressing leaves, apple cider, snuggling under blankets, etc. are all things that boost my mood.  Swimming and trudging out into 8 billion degree weather makes me want to run and hide. It's too hot and gives me a crazy headache.  Plus my allergies.  Oh my. 

I'm with Heather.  I too only really figured it out in the last few years.  I was driiving down the road, alone, and it was very cloudy and gloomy.  Suddenly the sun burst forth and it felt as if angels were singling!  I felt like I was on top of the world.  Now I notice that all of the time.  I also had my Vit D levels checked earlier this year and they were very low.  I took 10K units a day for 30 days and then 5K a day after that.  I made sure I spent a lot of time in our pool this summer.  I have felt wonderful all summer.  I know there is a connection.

I am solar powered (or a reptile). When the days get shorter, I nearly fall asleep in my dishwater in the evenings. I usually go to bed by 6pm in the winter. When the sun is shining, I have tons of energy and just feel better overall. Also, as the days get darker and shorter, I find that I want to constantly eat, especially loads of junk, and just cannot get full enough! 

I love rainy temperate gloomy weather.  I hate lots of sunshine and heat.  My Viking ancestry shines through!!   :lol:  It doesn't give me SAD, but it makes me feel drained and lethargic like a vampire.  I think also in the Winter/Fall there are more holidays, birthdays, and fun seasonal things that make my days happier.  Pressing leaves, apple cider, snuggling under blankets, etc. are all things that boost my mood.  Swimming and trudging out into 8 billion degree weather makes me want to run and hide. It's too hot and gives me a crazy headache.  Plus my allergies.  Oh my. 

I tell my dh it's because I'm Irish that I like that kind of weather. My fair Irish skin rejoices in cool temps and cloudy days!!!

usually NO.....the only way it affects me is that sometimes with weather changes (low pressures) I get horrible headaches/migraines/sinus headaches---now DH is extremely affected like if something makes it where he's "stuck" in the house more than a day or so (like rain).....he gets really moody and depressed/down....

I don't think so.  I used to love gloomy, rainy days.  I'd get giggly and happy when I walked out the door and there was a cold wind and I could smell rain or snow in the air.  I liked the nesting feeling I got with fall.

It never rains where I live now, and there isn't any fall.  Only ridiculous-hot-summer and summer.

Yes I have SAD even though I live where there is lots of sun. You can imagine how long I lasted when I moved to Canada. 1year before we moved back to Australia...I thought that snow was going to kill me . ..even in their so called summer I wore a sweater..I never felt warm.

Heather you are completely normal and that is completely normal.  Many years ago, I was on a flight from Dallas to Seattle, where I was working under contract to an aerospace company. There were several people seated near me, who worked for a company in Seattle (not the aerospace company). They told me that if there are 30 consecutive days that it rains, their company gives them a "mental health day" off.

Even here, living in a Tropical Valley, if the sun is shining, we are happier. There is a "plus" to living where there is more sunshine.

This is like me. I'm not bothered by sunlight or the lack of it during the day. (I do need it fairly dark at night, though, and don't like light pollution.) I am bothered by heat combined with humidity, even after living in that environment for over 15 years.

Thunderstorms can still invigorate me with their energy, though sometimes the combination with the heat and humidity can knock me flat instead (and allergens play a part there). I seem to benefit most from active, changeable weather.

But give me the drier air, the cooler air, and I perk up and spend more time outside after a summer of cabin fever. It's mid-October soon, when we get our first REAL drop. We had one for a few days now, so nice, but that's about to end. But soon....

If you ever saw the tv show Northern Exposure you might have seen one character who wore a light visor for SAD. I haven't noticed these on the web much, but there are light panels you can get that I've seen turn up in the stores and on Amazon. These are about the size of a desktop document holder, easy to set up on a desk or surface you can sit at. You simply have it shine on you for a time each day -- for some people I knew in MN they only needed minutes a day.

Heather, I am like you. I positively *wilt* when the sun isn't out, and when the sun comes back out and I can turn my face up to it, I feel like I am standing taller. We are heading into the season I despise the most because the sun does not shine for months on end~~it is just only blah, gray sky. It's horrid. I don't mind the rain and the cold, but the lack of sun sure affects me.

Someone just last week told me that even though my mood isn't affected, I should buy a SAD light. I don't know if it will help or not, but I may just try it. I can't see how it will work, though... will I need to hang it from the ceiling so I can turn my face up to it and 'bask'? :lol: Dh swears I'm part reptile, so maybe that is what I need to do!

If you are wilting then it's worth it to try the light. From what I understand not everyone affected feels emotionally moody -- some just get really tired.

I love rainy temperate gloomy weather. I hate lots of sunshine and heat. My Viking ancestry shines through!! :lol: It doesn't give me SAD, but it makes me feel drained and lethargic like a vampire. I think also in the Winter/Fall there are more holidays, birthdays, and fun seasonal things that make my days happier. Pressing leaves, apple cider, snuggling under blankets, etc. are all things that boost my mood. Swimming and trudging out into 8 billion degree weather makes me want to run and hide. It's too hot and gives me a crazy headache. Plus my allergies. Oh my.

Exactly!

Very interesting. It seems like more people actual prefer cool, gray weather than hot, sunny weather!

Oh and I forgot the smell...I love the SMELL of sunshine. :thumbup1:

Yes, sunshine has a wonderful smell (when it isn't masked by musty humidity). But so does rain, and the sound if snow falling is magic. Wish I lived where it would snow more than once every 9 years.

It seemed that my son was affected by a lack of sunlight -- he was complaining about "being sad." So we bought him a SAD lamp. I make sure he sits by it for at least fifteen minutes every morning.

It really seems to be helping. The whole "I'm sad" thing has gone away. We've been doing this for about six months now.

Alley

I seriously doubt you had SAD, then.  Note that a lot of the symptoms are the same as for other conditions.  The difference is what triggers (and cures) them.

Cool. What did I have then? My understanding is that SAD is caused by serotonin deficiency, and that can sometimes be cured by changes in diet and sleep patterns.

I get affected by too much of *any* weather, including sun. It gets so boring, even a little depressing after awhile.

The cloudy sky and pouring rain today in SoCal was such a breath of fresh air. I loved it!

Yes, the Southland was slammed with almost biblical storms that dropped a whopping 0.08 inches of rain in less than 24 hrs.

It was all covered on "Stormwatch 2013" on the local news :D

Bill

Yes, the Southland was slammed with almost biblical storms that dropped a whopping 0.08 inches of rain in less than 24 hrs.

It was all covered on "Stormwatch 2013" on the local news :D

Bill

I couldn't help but laugh about surviving our one day of sprinkles. I stood with my jaw dropped when I learned that the 5 was closed because of a mud slide. It didn't even rain!!!

I couldn't help but laugh about surviving our one day of sprinkles. I stood with my jaw dropped when I learned that the 5 was closed because of a mud slide. It didn't even rain!!!

I talked with a friend this morning about the rain. She lives about 30 miles south of me, and only got sprinkles.... We had several downpours and the water running down the sides of the streets (not a trickle, but 3-4 ft. wide gushing "rivers") was overflowing the debris blocked gutters in spouts over a foot high. We got rain. Real rain. Puddles up to the ankles in the parking lot rain. :) it was glorious! And my shoes are still drying out...

I love, love, love the sun. I've often told people I'm solar powered. When it's cloudy, I want to hibernate.

It was a concern when we moved to Belgium...it rains a fair amount there, plus it's cloudy and cool many other days. One January there,  I kept a record of sunny HOURS, not days. In total, there were about 15 hours of sunlight that month. If and when the sun peeked between the clouds, I was out in it. That certainly helped.

And OH, the fun of driving south on the Highway to the Sun...through France to the Med. Joyous fun, indeed.

I've always wondered if I'm affected by the seasons.  I've thought a LOT about it this year, because I was in a pretty rough/depressed state late winter/early spring this year, but Idk that it was the change of weather that brought me out of it.  It did bring it to mind, though, and I just thought, hmm, I'll have to pay attention and see if I start feeling blah every year in the winter...

I prefer nice sunny weather, but I think what affects my mood the most during the winter is needing to wear so much clothing.  I feel like I'm choking when I wear a lot of layers.  You can pile 100 pounds of blankets and comforters on me and I'll love it, but wearing a lot of warm clothing is constricting.