Menu

Your experience (or lack thereof) with pot

Janie Grace

Pot in your world  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What is true for you?

• I never smoke pot (or do MJ in any form) nor do I know anyone who does.
    • I sometimes enjoy marijuana (at least twice a year).
    • I don't partake, but I have family members or friends that do.
    • Other.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I feel like I have to weigh in on the "smoking" aspect of this conversation. Marijuana becomes something completely different as oils, edibles or other consumables. The benefits change greatly, as well as a lot of the negatives associated with smoking.

I don't knowingly know people who use mj.  I live in a very conservative state and most people I know work at places with drug tests (military, military contractors, NASA, etc).    There is no movement here to legalize that is any significant size at all. 

I am a chronic pain patient and am not interested in marijuana.  I find plain old opiods, which are legally obtained with prescriptions, to help me enough most of the time.  Add in a muscle relaxant, another medication and I am normally good for almost any pain.  I don't like smoking in any form and as an asthmatic, I am not interested in getting more people smoking anything.

And I, from a professional standpoint, found opioids to be a much more severe and dangerous problem in individuals, and that opioids can create substance dependence due to chemical composition whereas marijuana does not.

Also I feel like I have to weigh in on the "smoking" aspect of this conversation. Marijuana becomes something completely different as oils, edibles or other consumables. The benefits change greatly, as well as a lot of the negatives associated with smoking.

Good point. I've used hemp oil (for various things) for a number of years.

My only experience is secondhand smoke, mostly in the girls' bathroom in high school.  

Then again, I've never smoked tobacco, either.  I've had plenty of opportunity, and while my parents wouldn't have been thrilled if I'd tried in high school, they wouldn't have freaked, and I guess that took the rebellion out of it.

I had to vote other.  I have in the past, I don't now because dh is regularly drug tested at work, but I probably would if it was legal.

I used it in college the way I use wine now.  Roughly every two or three weeks, if I got together with a few friends or if I'd had an especially hellish day, I'd light up to relax and have fun.  Honestly, I see no difference at all between the weed then and the wine now, with the possible exception that the wine is a good deal stronger than the pot ever was.

A lot of it is cultural and a matter of semantics.  Pot is illegal, wine isn't.  Pot is a drug *gasp!* and wine isn't.  Objectively though, they both alter your perception and they both have the potential to be addictive if misused.

I've never smoked, but in high school most of my friends did. I have eaten it unknowingly a few times, but not enough to do anything except calm me down a bit. I did try other things in high school - mostly perscription drugs sneaked from my dad's meds {librium, valium, xanax, codine, etc} but only a few times.

I have strongly considered it recently - I've seen a few early studies from overseas that say it may help with auto-immune issues I have. I would also MUCH rather use MJ for pain than opiates or muscle rexlaxers which knock me on my bum for days from a single dose.

I realize I am very naive about it and have discovered over the past few years that many people I know have or continue to use marijuana.

My problem with marijauna is this: it is impossible to tell how long ago someone smoked it.

A guy obviously high on pot crashed his motorhome into my car, my neighbor's car, our small tree and nearly hit our house. He has a medical marijuana card, but couldn't be charged with driving under the influence because they couldn't tell how long it had been in his system. That was infuriating.

I don't understand how we can make it legal but expect people not to drive under the influence if you can't even tell whether they are or not.

In my teens and 20s pot was everywhere in both NY and California. I had lots of friends who smoked recreationally as a teen, and tons of kids at my Ivy League college did, too. That was mostly about being cool and being rebellious, and most of them kept it relatively under control (but not all). I was not cool, because I always disliked it (the concept, the smell and the awful hacking cough everyone had when they took a hit -- jeez, talk about unattractive, LOL) and didn't partake.

When I moved to California as a young adult I really found out what the drug culture was all about, and I went from disliking pot to hating it. Someone very close to me pretty much lost himself in addiction around it, and because of him I was surrounded by many, many other addicts. I heard all the "good reasons" for cannabis use, but oddly enough the "medical marijuana" advocates around me didn't have any medical reasons for using it. They just liked the legitimacy it lent their addictions. Most of them used it to avoid their real problems and the apathy and stupidity it led to was really astounding. Whenever I think of pot I think of selfishness, because that's the defining characteristic to me of a real "pothead". They are your friends as long as you have extra pot, but as soon as the weed (or the money) is gone, so are they - no matter the time, the occasion, or what they promised you beforehand.

I do believe medical marijuana can help some people, however. I absolutely believe it should be available to cancer patients, etc., as a viable treatment alternative. Unfortunately, your average pot user doesn't need it for medical reasons; they just like it.

My biggest gripe about pot is that there hasn't been an easy way to test people who are driving under the influence the way you can test for alcohol. Again, I'm not worried about the person who smokes once every few weeks. I'm worried about the pot smokers I knew - the ones who smoked five or six times A DAY, and were basically high from the moment they woke up to the moment they went to bed, every. single. day. The same ones who tell you, "Pot doesn't affect my driving at all!" Um...yeah, it does. Go ahead and do what you like on your own time, but if you're driving, operating heavy equipment, working a job that has ramifications for others' safety....then don't smoke pot.

My hope about pot legalization is that all the lies will be proved lies, and people who are going to use it no matter what can be educated about how it's safe to use it and how it's not. You simply cannot smoke pot on a daily basis and not be changed by it, just like you can't drink alcohol on a daily basis and not expect some ramifications - both to health and to relationships. When chronic pain is already damaging health and relationships, though - why not try it?

I'm biased against pot as a recreational drug because the things I experienced at the hands of the addicts in my life in my 20s were just horrific. Some people should never take a hit in their entire lives. THey get sucked in and chewed up by it. But if legalization can lead to safer experiences (and safer roads and better/easier ways for testing for being under the influence) then I'm all for it. I also hope it will clean up some of the drug trade and the crime and stupidity that goes along with that, although I'm not counting on it. As soon as pot is legal and the taboo against it is gone, those same "rebels" are probably going to up the ante.

I've never used it, never used any illegal drug.

Like many others said, I don't know of anyone in my life that currently smokes it, but I do know of people who used to. Apparently I lived under a bridge in college and everyone else was using it here and there. ;)

I don't like the idea of it being smoked in public, because it does permeate the air and IMO, no one should have to walk past that on the sidewalk and breathe it in. I'm libertarian enough to think that if someone is smoking it in their home, not driving, and not putting minors at risk, it's really not my business.

And I have no issue with medical marijuana, but again, would prefer it be in oil or edible form.

I never tried pot.  I can't stand cigarettes or smoky things so I figured I wouldn't like it.   But to each their own.  I don't have a strong opinion about it either way.

I'm the same. I've never smoked, never saw the attraction and never saw the attraction to pot. I used to have a lot of friends who smoked pot and took other drugs occasionally, I'm not sure now, it's not something that I've thought much about.

My mother has made off-hand comments which suggest she's partaken, although I think not smoked.

I never have tried in any form, but maybe I'll still have some sort of delayed rebellious youth ĂƒÂ  la my mother who, since her mid-50s has also got a tattoo and posed nude for an art class.

With a few exceptions (those of you in the military, those who attend very conservative churches who don't socialize much outside of the church, etc.) I'd wager to bet that most of you know far more people who use pot than you realize. Personally, I know of many people including teachers, small business owners, professors, business executives, homeschool parents, social workers and more who you'd NEVER suspect of regular marijuana use because they don't fit the stereotype of a stoner.

I have never smoked anything nor do I drink. Addiction is VERY stong in my family, probably my main reason to avoid anything.

To my understanding, my Mom was one of seven people either in the US or our state to obtain medical marijuania in the 80s while she was on chemo. Based on that and what I know now, I am definately in favor of its use for medical purposes and would not hesitate to use it for myself or children if I thought it was beneficial.

With a few exceptions (those of you in the military, those who attend very conservative churches who don't socialize much outside of the church, etc.) I'd wager to bet that most of you know far more people who use pot than you realize. Personally, I know of many people including teachers, small business owners, professors, business executives, homeschool parents, social workers and more who you'd NEVER suspect of regular marijuana use because they don't fit the stereotype of a stoner.

I agree.  I don't use, partly because I'm such a weirdo law abider that I'm afraid to stop past the little line at a stop sign.  But I've been surprised by how many people I've met who do use and it would not have been known had I not had a friendship with another user. People point out the stereotypical obvious users, but MANY use who are not stereotypical.  

I have never used it in my life, and never will.  Since moving away from the city I don't know anyone personally that uses it (my neighbor boy back then sure did).  I know my sister tried it out in high school, and I know my brother screwed up his first year in university thanks to partying and using MJ, but as far as I know neither uses it now. 

I never have used it nor cared to.  I've never smoked anything and never plan to short of a medical reason.

I voted that I don't know anyone who does, but that's because I thought you meant to include family and close friends.  If so, I voted correctly.  ;)  If you meant ANYONE, I voted incorrectly as I do know kids at school who smoke it, but those aren't really "friends" so to speak.

I'm fine with legalizing it as I'm pretty much fine with anyone choosing to do whatever they want with their own body (with the exception that I'm pro-life as that includes another body).  Stealing to use drugs is a crime, but I think if drugs were legalized the prices would come down and crime would decrease.  So, if someone cares to "alter" their body via drugs, go for it.  It's not for me.  Do a crime due to it, then that crime ought to be punished.

Of those I know who use it back from my school days and now, I can't say I've ever been impressed with the "results."  Nonetheless, to each their own.

Way less often than I drink! ;-)

If/when available in my state, I will seek medical marijuana. I don't need an opioid script and, with all the sad stories I've heard, I'm kind of glad to be rationing my post-op pills very conservatively. But, once in a blue moon, I need to be able to knock out the pain entirely.

I resent that the laws make me feel the need to justify my choices. I don't go around "justifying" the hard tea I had last night just for kicks and few would expect me to. What I do to unwind or to ease pain should be nobody else's business, so long as I'm not stepping on anyone else's health or safety.

ETA- I voted "at least twice/yr" based on the average number 2.

I just found out that my father smoked pot occasionally throughout my childhood (I don't know how often actually, but I know he did). He's almost 70 now. This sort of shocks me. I know my parents did pot when they were young hippies but I didn't realize it was something he continued. My mom became a Christian and gave up her old partying ways; I guess I never considered it was something my PhD-holding father continued to enjoy from time to time. 

I have a feeling my sister (mid-thirties) smokes it sometimes, but I haven't asked directly. She also has advanced degrees and is a professional. 

With all of the legalization talk, I'm feeling a bit like I'm living in a hole. I'm a Christian and none of my friends smoke pot (almost all drink alcohol however). But more and more, people are off-handedly mentioning enjoying it (like, most recently, a dad at Little League). 

I'm wondering how common this is. What is your experience?

Feel free to post a "bump" without responding. Might not be something you want to comment on "publicly," I realize.

You might be surprised to find out that some of your Christian friends _do_ smoke pot. (Possibly not, but you just don't know what people are doing behind closed doors).  When I was a very conservative Evangelical, I had other conservative friends who smoke it from time to time. I never had. Actually, I've honestly never even seen it in my presence! :)  _That's_ shocking, even to me.

The reason most serious Christians might not admit to smoking pot, even though they might drink openly, is that pot is illegal in most places and there are strictures in the Christian faith about obeying the laws of the land. . . whether people really submit to them or not, or find the pot one to be sufficient to obey. :)

I have a s-i-l and b-i-l who indulge from time to time. One is a former bank executive (retired) and one is a former rocket-scientist now computer programmer.

I'm sure I know more, but I don't actually know they toke. :)

It's been a few years, but some Christian homeschooling friends used to grow pot in their basement. As a very low income family it was how they managed to supplement their income just enough to (barely) get by. It put food on the table and kept a roof over their heads. They no longer grow, but without that extra money the mom has to work full-time out of the home, the older kids are in public school, and the baby is in full-time daycare.

It's funny because I was always a goody-two-shoes as a kid (my older sister was trouble, so I feel into this role as the 'good one' LOL) and the anti-drug propaganda they gave us in middle school totally worked on me. I got teased by my guy when he first met me, because he couldn't believe that I had NEVER had any drugs. It turns out that because of his chronic medical condition, he is eligible for prescription medical marijuana, and while he doesn't need it regularly, he does keep a few 'special' brownies in the freezer for emergencies. One time, he convinced me to try a piece of one (about half a brownie) and I go SO SICK from it! I got super-dizzy and had very vivid dreams. At one point, I got up to get some water and just sat down on the floor and couldn't move. He had to come get me and carry me back to bed. Well, never again! Maybe he can handle that stuff because he's bigger than I am or has built up a tolerance, but I am firmly back in the 'drugs are bad' camp and will stay there!

I voted other.  I tried it once when I was young and stupid and was pressured into it by a guy I was dating.  It wasn't for me.  I am sure several of my siblings have used and maybe were regular users at one time (they were products of the late 60's and 70's.)  If they are still using, I have no idea.  It hasn't come up.  I did know some acquaintances who used regularly and they weren't the brightest crayons in the box .  As an uber-law abiding person, they made me very nervous.  I was especially irked when they lit up in the car when their Navy pilot friend who was home from the military.  They knew he was subject to random drug testing and they thought it was funny.  I was quite relieved for him when someone else offered him a ride instead.  No one in my current circle uses as far as I know. 

It's been a few years, but some Christian homeschooling friends used to grow pot in their basement. As a very low income family it was how they managed to supplement their income just enough to (barely) get by. It put food on the table and kept a roof over their heads. They no longer grow, but without that extra money the mom has to work full-time out of the home, the older kids are in public school, and the baby is in full-time daycare.

The California proposition would have put small farmers like this out of business, which is why I voted against it. I am not anti-legalization, but I am very much against RJ Reynolds McMarijuana plantations in my back yard or large indoor grows. I don't care if it's cannabis or corn, it's still a fire hazard because houses are not wired for all the lighting equipment needed for large scale indoor agriculture.

I'd rather see people like your friends being able to make ends meet and take care of their families by using appropriate equipment that isn't any more dangerous to their neighbours than what orchid or african violet fanciers use.

If it were legal, they could take their gardens outdoors where gardens belong and we'd all be safer, less energy would be wasted, and fewer toxins would be produced and improperly disposed of. It would also free up our law enforcement officers so that they could do something about the methamphetamine problem in my area.

Marijuana usage is very common. It doesn't make you a bad Christian any more than smoking a cigarette would. In fact, there are many medicinal usages. I wouldn't think any less of your dad for his history. It's not like he was smuggling in crack for a cartel, right?

I don't have an issue with this being used for medical purposes.  I do have an issue with people who can't seem to do anything without smoking pot first.  I know a lot of sources claim it isn't addicting, but I think it can be mentally addicting.  My first husband (father of my daughter) has ruined his entire life because of this.

I did a few times in high school, but that is the only illegal drug I've ever done. It was nice, if it were legal, I'd smoke it occasionally. I have relatives who do (one is a doctor, one is a mechanic, draw from that what you will) who smoke semi- regularly. But they live where it's now legal, and was hardly prosecuted before, so that makes a difference. I wouldn't break the law for it- it's nice, but I'd be too afraid.

The pot smokinest place I ever lived was slc, Utah. I swear everyone I met, lds or no, smoked pot! I was in college, so it was college kids I met, but far more pot smoking happening than in my hippie dip pie PNW home. I found it amusing.

I know someone, possibly two someones, that do for medical purposes. I know others that do for "relaxing at the end of the day" or anxiety purposes. I know one kid that was because he was avoiding life and was bored. My husband had an uncle that was a big time dealer decades ago, but he also was the same person that said he'd kill his nephews if he ever found out they were doing drugs (said uncle died from a drug overdose after having gone sober...we believe it was a suicide).

I don't have an issue with this being used for medical purposes.  I do have an issue with people who can't seem to do anything without smoking pot first.  I know a lot of sources claim it isn't addicting, but I think it can be mentally addicting.  My first husband (father of my daughter) has ruined his entire life because of this.

You can get addicted to just about anything, though.  The internet, video games, Starbucks Refreshers (guilty as charged, ma'am)...Let's not judge an entire plant and a huge group of people because some are addicted, though.  Just like my glass of wine I have a few times a year.  WAY more dangerous than pot. 

One that that I am curious the impacts of legalizing weed (or even just medical marijuana) on the workplace.  What about workplace drug testing?  Since the active ingredient stays in the blood system longer than alcohol, what would be the acceptable legal limit for driving, working at a dangerous job or where you have someone's life in your hands.  Do I want a surgeon who lights up regularly?  How can you tell between an occasional user and a regular one?  Just musings for a Saturday morning while I wait for the t-storms to pass so I can get out to go grocery shopping.

One that that I am curious the impacts of legalizing weed (or even just medical marijuana) on the workplace.  What about workplace drug testing?  Since the active ingredient stays in the blood system longer than alcohol, what would be the acceptable legal limit for driving, working at a dangerous job or where you have someone's life in your hands.  Do I want a surgeon who lights up regularly?  How can you tell between an occasional user and a regular one?  Just musings for a Saturday morning while I wait for the t-storms to pass so I can get out to go grocery shopping.

I'm sure employers would still be within their rights to ban employees from using it if they wanted to, especially in situations where impairment would be dangerous.  And I imagine it would be illegal to do things such as drive while under the influence, just like with other prescription drugs.  Let's say you've had surgery (or whatever) and your doctor prescribes vicodin to help manage the pain.  Can you drive if you've taken one in the last day and there are traces in your system, but you're otherwise fine?  Sure.  Can you drive if you just popped three or four of them and you're swerving all over the road?  No.  Can you perform brain surgery if you've taken a handful of them and can't stand up straight?  No.

If we criminalized everything that has the potential to cause some form of impairment, there would be a booming black market for allergy medication in this country. ;)

I never have, but I have a college-aged nephew who does. His parents are NOT happy about it. They've noticed a change in him since he started, and it's not a good one. I don't personally know anybody else that does, that I'm aware of.

I have a friend who gets together with her high school friends once a year. (she's in her early 40's) She's the only one of the group that doesn't smoke pot.

Other. I came of age in the early seventies, and yeah, I smoked it regularly. It's been well over 25 years since I've even been around it though. Once I got a teaching job, and knew I could lose my certification if I ever got caught, it was no longer worth taking a chance. 

If I have family or friends who smoke, I'm unaware of it. 

And I, from a professional standpoint, found opioids to be a much more severe and dangerous problem in individuals, and that opioids can create substance dependence due to chemical composition whereas marijuana does not.

This is true, but much depends on the person. I also take opioids for chronic pain. The doctor and the patient both have responsibilities that, if followed, can help prevent problems. The doctor I go to pointed out from the start that there is a difference between dependence and addiction, and I agree with that. As a patient, my responsibility is to always tell the doctor if the medication as prescribed is no longer providing relief, and to never change the dose myself. It's also my responsibility to tell my other doctors I'm taking this medication.

I know your background and training have given you far more experience than I have, but it is a shame to paint all chronic pain sufferers seeking relief with opioids as if they are addicts (not saying you are, but in general that seems to be the public attitude).

I live in an area where people wouldn't admit it if they did smoke. Too many government employees/contractors subject to drug testing for it to be a 'problem' )at least in my circles. I do know one teacher who smokes every summer when she gets away to an island where it's legal. Her students would never guess.

Now, back home in the country, I do know some people who have that weird voice and sleepy-eyed thing going due to years of constant use, but they're not the type anyone would put on the Legalize Pot posters. Honestly, I think if it were legal, usage would change by a tiny percent. The people who WANT to smoke don't seem to have any trouble getting product.

I've never used marijuana [or alcohol or nicotine] in any form. DH has not either.  In general we have worked from a complete abstinence zero tolerance policy with our children (at least while they are living in our home, driving vehicles we own or pay the insurance for, receiving any financial support from us, etc).  I realize that some on this forum may feel our philosophy is draconian but we both feel very strongly that developing brains are particularly vulnerable to the effects of drugs.  In this context I really don't think it is "just pot" or "just alcohol".  Personally even with mature brains I feel that the risk-benefit ratio is skewed far enough to the risk side that I don't find it worthwhile to experiment.  Others may interpret the data differently and that is fine as long as they make their choices in a way that others are not placed at risk. 

I'm sure employers would still be within their rights to ban employees from using it if they wanted to, especially in situations where impairment would be dangerous.  And I imagine it would be illegal to do things such as drive while under the influence, just like with other prescription drugs.  Let's say you've had surgery (or whatever) and your doctor prescribes vicodin to help manage the pain.  Can you drive if you've taken one in the last day and there are traces in your system, but you're otherwise fine?  Sure.  Can you drive if you just popped three or four of them and you're swerving all over the road?  No.  Can you perform brain surgery if you've taken a handful of them and can't stand up straight?  No.

If we criminalized everything that has the potential to cause some form of impairment, there would be a booming black market for allergy medication in this country. ;)

Oh, I totally agree that other substances like alcohol, vicodin, and even allergy meds cause similar concern.  With alcohol, we have standards to determine inebriation.  With vicodin, allergy meds, and pot, we don't have standards to determine whether or not someone is impaired.   If I recall correctly, THC stays in the system for long periods of time.  Just musing, not saying pot is the only problem. I certainly don't want a surgeon with a vicodin problem operating on me and I know that happens. 

While I have mixed feelings about decriminalization, I think it is utterly ridiculous that a child molester serves just 30 days in jail yet someone with a few plants can get a lot more.