Menu

Am I the only person left who does not like e-readers?

m0mmaBuck

Kindle, ipad, Nook.... I've looked at them all and I just don't like reading from them. DH has an iPad and always tries to get me to read things on it but I DON"T LIKE IT. I don't like the way it looks on the screen. I don't like the way it feels in my hands. And if it's supposed to be like a book, where is that book smell???

You are not alone! I received a Nook for Christmas, and although it is great having 40+ books on it that I don't have to find storage for on a shelf, I do miss the feel and smell of a real book! The other advantages to having an e-reader is the fact that you can download SO MANY books for FREE! So, they do save money and space, but real books still make me giddy with excitement!

Reading on the ipad is awful.

But I love my Kindle! (The library has tons of great books I can get for it, at any hour, without leaving my house.)

You need a device that uses e-ink to really judge the eReader experience.

Amen and amen!

Last week I posted a pic of my new bookcases filled with glorious hard copies of books with the caption, "Sorry e-ready, you just can't compare." I want my kids to have my books for generations to come, and that ain't gonna happen on my Nook. That said, books that are total brain candy that I don't think anyone would want to borrow years down the road DO go on my Nook. It's been a good system so far.

I have a Kindle, but I'm not the biggest fan. It's good for traveling, but otherwise, I'm good with real books from the library. It's weird that I don't like it more, as I read news articles on my iPhone all the time (my main news source), but I don't want to read a book on it.

What is different on a Kindle or Nook vs. an iPad? I took a cursory at them at B&N and Best Buy but didn't notice a big difference from looking at a book on DH's iPad.

Reading on a device with Eink is the same as reading print in a paper book. There is no backlight; therefore, you need a light in the room to be able to read. Reading on iPad or Kindle Fire is no different that reading a computer screen - from what I understand, Kindle Fire is specifically designed for reading magazines and such in color, as well as playing games.

Though I still really enjoy actual books, I've become quite fond of my Kindle. It's easy to load it up with books and bring it with me everywhere I go in my bag. It has a built in dictionary - so if I come across a word that I want to reference, I just move the curser to it and a dictionary entry pops up at the bottom of the screen. I can highlight, underline and save passages, and they are quick to locate in a special file on the Kindle menu. The letters are adjustable, so you can make them as large or as small as you need them for comfortable reading. My mother likes this feature, as she has trouble reading small print. The kindle that I have pictured below is a second generation.

Cheers :001_smile:

post-58721-0-66170200-1370274453_thumb.jpg

post-58721-0-66170200-1370274453_thumb.jpg

Amen and amen!

Last week I posted a pic of my new bookcases filled with glorious hard copies of books with the caption, "Sorry e-ready, you just can't compare." I want my kids to have my books for generations to come, and that ain't gonna happen on my Nook. That said, books that are total brain candy that I don't think anyone would want to borrow years down the road DO go on my Nook. It's been a good system so far.

I enjoy my Kindle for my own reading - especially while traveling; however, my children get print books, too. Especially picture books - some are just too beautiful to have in digital format. I wonder if print books may eventually go by the wayside with the new e-book craze - therefore, I think a beautiful collection of print books might be treasured by future generations.

I love both! I have both an e-Ink Nook, a Kindle DX (e-Ink) and a Nook HD+ tablet. The e-INk devices look like an actual book page. Tablet devices like the Nook tablet, iPad, and Kindle Fire look like a regular, lit computer screen. The lit screens, both e-readers/tablets and my desktop computer, really fatigue my eyes if i read on them for long periods so I don't read books on my tablet. The e-Ink devices are more like a printed page so no eyestrain for me.

OP, I won't hijack and tell you why I prefer an e-reader, because that's not what you asked, but I wanted to address the following:

I still much prefer real books.

What is a real book? It's the words of the author that move me, not the medium. There was a time when books were too costly for anyone to own, and oral storytelling was the norm. After Gutenberg, and after books became affordable for all, I wonder if people eschewed printed books and said," I prefer real stories".

Enjoy whatever medium you like - print books, audio books, e-books. Please recognize that there is no method of delivering content that is more noble than the others.

Kindle, ipad, Nook.... I've looked at them all and I just don't like reading from them. DH has an iPad and always tries to get me to read things on it but I DON"T LIKE IT. I don't like the way it looks on the screen. I don't like the way it feels in my hands. And if it's supposed to be like a book, where is that book smell???

I don't like them either. A friend gifted me a Kindle and I've been unimpressed with it. I really like holding a book and knowing where I am in it. I like being able to easily flip back to a passage to remember something /someone.

I don't have an e-reader and don't want one. I have tried them out, but I just prefer reading from an actual book. Feeling the paper between my fingers and smelling the ink and paper are part of the reading experience for me. I'm so afraid actual ink and paper books will go the way of the dial telephone and I will be stuck with e-books. :(

I don't prefer them but I like having one in certain situations - like working out at the gym, love being able to prop something up that doesn't fall and more importantly being able to increase the font size so I can actually read it. I used to get out large print books and they never fit well.

Also like when I'm traveling because I like reading many different books and a nook fits in my handbag easily and I can change what I'm reading easily. Also love how easy it is to get another book, like when reading a series and I only borrowed the first book and finished it at 1am and want to keep reading - downloaded and can read into the dawn hours (okay, that isn't actually smart but still a nice option).

But I do 90% of my reading in books.

No, you are not the only one! :seeya:

Don't have an e-reader yet, tho I'd like to try one. I'm thinking a Kindle Fire, but I'm not sure yet. I can't afford one anyway so it's a moot point. I have downloaded e-books onto my laptop, but it's not very convenient for reading in bed! :mellow:

As with all technology, I have such mixed feelings. I like the accessibility & portability: being able to buy or borrow a book anytime anywhere, being able to keep a lot of reading material in a small space. Freebies (but they are not usually what I am really looking for). And as with all devices, you are limited by the amount of time on your battery.

For me there is nothing like the tactile experience of a book in my hands, and the sight of books on bookshelves. And shopping for books online isn't the same experience as browsing the shelves at a bookstore.

Sometimes I just get tired of the "virtual" world. I want things I can touch & smell, you know what I mean.

I secretly have wanted to own my own small bookshop/coffee shop in our small town. For me it wouldn't have the same atmosphere without books on the shelves.

OP, I won't hijack and tell you why I prefer an e-reader, because that's not what you asked, but I wanted to address the following:

What is a real book? It's the words of the author that move me, not the medium. There was a time when books were too costly for anyone to own, and oral storytelling was the norm. After Gutenberg, and after books became affordable for all, I wonder if people eschewed printed books and said," I prefer real stories".

Enjoy whatever medium you like - print books, audio books, e-books. Please recognize that there is no method of delivering content that is more noble than the others.

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Guess I should have used quotes instead of bolding/italicizing the word "real", and used the tongue-in-cheek smiley to make that abundantly clear. ;)

I fully recognize that a book is not defined by its medium. I just happen to much prefer the medium of a printed book. :)

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Guess I should have used quotes instead of bolding/italicizing the word "real", and used the tongue-in-cheek smiley to make that abundantly clear. ;)

I fully recognize that a book is not defined by its medium. I just happen to much prefer the medium of a printed book. :)

I didn't mean to pick on you, but I do hear that often, as though an ebook isn't a real book. Like I said, enjoy your preferred medium. Some of my best friends prefer print books. :D (also tongue-in-cheek though it's true).

You are not alone. I can't stand reading a book from a screen-- any kind of screen. I love the feel, look, and smell of hard copies. The beloved, tattered copies of my favorite books are a treasure to me. I also like the durability of books (e-readers seem rather fragile) and the fact that I don't need any kind of batteries/electricity to read them-- except at night of course. ;)

It deeply saddens me when I hear about libraries closing or replacing their books with computer terminals.

I definitely prefer real books. I will use an ereader, or read a book on a tablet, if I was only able to get it in an e-version or if it was a free book but I don't like it as much. I don't like having to slide pages more frequently than I do with a book, I don't like the way it looks, or the way it feels. I also don't like having some books as real books and some books as ebooks. Especially by the same author or part of a series. That's just annoying, IMO. Plus, I think kids picture books really lose something on a smaller screen.

If there was a disaster and I lost all my books, I might replace them with ebooks if I was starting from scratch. Partially because it would be cheaper, partially because some of my older books are really hard to find but are getting released as ebooks. But it's not my first choice. I figure when the world as we know it ends, all those electronics won't work anymore but I'll still have my library of real books to read. :D

I didn't mean to pick on you, but I do hear that often, as though an ebook isn't a real book. Like I said, enjoy your preferred medium. Some of my best friends prefer print books. :D (also tongue-in-cheek though it's true).

I hear ya.

It gives me hope that print-readers and e-readers can bridge that vast divide and be friends. All is not lost. :tongue_smilie:

I prefer my Kindle for most types of reading. I hate it for any type of research or anything where I will be flipping around. For novels or straight through reading, though, it is so convenient. I love being able to easily read while jogging on my treadmill and that I can make the font bigger for that. I love that I can check books out from the library late at night without going to the library and then don't have to worry about returning it. I love that it predicts how long it will take me to finish the chapter/book based on my reading speed and tells me exactly how much I've read in percentages. I love how easy it is to look up words or get rough translations (this was really nice for Charlottle Bronte). I even love that I can read without anyone knowing what I'm reading because they can't see the cover. I read about 10 times as much as I used to before I bought it. I don't care that other people might not like them, but my Kindle is probably one of my favorite purchases I've ever made for myself. I just prefer the format.

I also really like audiobooks ;)

Honestly, I prefer reading from a print book. I like holding it in my hands and I think it's a bit easier on the eyes than using an e-reader (yes, even e-ink).

However, I get most of my books from the library. In the past few years with bed bugs being more common and with my own feelings about germs being gross, I have come to enjoy borrowing books from my library on my Kindle. It amazes me how many of the books that I want to read are available to borrow electronically from my library. And the best thing is that I don't even have to leave my house! So while I do prefer a print book, the ease of borrowing on my kindle from my library is currently pushing me in that direction.

Yes!! LOL (just kidding)

When my husband gave me a Kindle for our anniversary 3 1/2 years ago I was definitely less than impressed.

We both seriously love our books. Our house is full of them! Now, I love it; really love it! I also buy lots and

bunches of books. I love being able to toss my Kindle in my purse and not worrying about hurting a book.

Let me say, reading on a Kindle is nothing like reading on an iPad. I don't ever use my iPad for reading however

my husband really likes reading on his Kindle app on his phone.

Anybody who walked into my house would assume we don't use ereaders either, though.

I like print books, but...ereaders are nice for those with vision problems or children who don't want to read tiny print. My kids like the dictionary feature. Also great for public domain books, some of which are out of print aside from those print on demand places. Great for traveling with the equivalent of dozens of books, and nice for super long books that would weigh a ton.

We got my dd a kindle for her birthday and she loves it. She reads and rereads all her favorite stories. She us the dictionary feature and just enjoys playing around on it. He younger sister also wants one as she is constantly borrowing it. We still go to the library very day and borrow books out but it is certainly nice to have the ereader to use whenever she wants.

While I like the feel/smell of a printed book, reading from them is painful-- thanks to vision issues. I CAN read from my Kindle (paperwhite) comfortably for hours at a time without eye fatigue.

I have an Ipad that I love--but do not read on it-- it hurts just like printed books and computer screens.

While I still love books in printed form, I absolutely adore my Kindle. I was very skeptical at first, but I am hooked now. The convenience of having lots of books stored in one device is really handy. I've been able to download and read large collections of novels which would have taken up tons of space (to say nothing of being OOP and therefore unavailable in the first place) and have them all at my fingertips. The dictionary feature is awesome. I can't even tell you how many times I've used it.

The Kindle won't replace my printed books, and there are still many that I prefer to borrow/own in print for various reasons, but the Kindle has definitely added a new dimension to my reading enjoyment.

Oh yes, one realizes the space thing as huge when they move 5 times in 12 years and lug all their books with them each time! I am SO done with that.

And, sadly, even with all the bookcases in my house, I still have 20+ boxes of books stored in my attic because I don't have room for them all. With the Kindle I don't have to feel as guilty every time I buy another book :)

I bought the Kindle Fire because I wanted an e-reader but figured I might as well get something with the other options as well. I NEVER read books on it. I can't stand scrolling or the fake page turning thing. I want a real book with real pages.

Hardly! This discussion has happened multiple times here on the board and elsewhere.

I know a lot of people don't like ereaders because they prefer how a printed book feels and smells. I read primarily for the content, not the mode of delivery, so I enjoy reading my Kindle, reading a library book, and listening to an audiobook. I hate the feel and smell of old, musty, dirty, scratchy trade paperbacks and avoid buying them, so I can't relate to that particular aspect of loving printed books.

I prefer printed books myself, although I don't have any complaints about my iPad. What I do prefer the iPad for is traveling because, since I'm taking it with me anyways, it's convenient to bring books on the iPad instead of fillings my bags with printed books. At the rate I read, that could get heavy - and expensive. I am, however, very resistant to the idea of purchasing an e-book that I already have in printed book form, so unless I can borrow it from the library I tend to use travel time to catch up on my classics reading list.

I bought the Kindle Fire because I wanted an e-reader but figured I might as well get something with the other options as well. I NEVER read books on it. I can't stand scrolling or the fake page turning thing. I want a real book with real pages.

A Kindle Fire is not an e-reader, it is a tablet. We have a Fire and I NEVER read books on it. I only use my e-reader for e-books.

I read a lot of classics on my Nook but for anything non-fiction, I buy a paper book or check out the paper book from the library.

For me they serve different purposes. I love actual books, but I cannot carry 10 or 20 books on a plane very easily.

ETA: The other thing I think about? When my grandmother died and I was charged (along with my sisters) with helping my aunt make Thanksgiving dinner? We figured out which recipes she used because they were dirty, used, loved. How do we tell which books, recipes, etc people used and loved in a digital age?

I prefer my Kindle for most types of reading. I hate it for any type of research or anything where I will be flipping around. For novels or straight through reading, though, it is so convenient. I love being able to easily read while jogging on my treadmill and that I can make the font bigger for that. I love that I can check books out from the library late at night without going to the library and then don't have to worry about returning it. I love that it predicts how long it will take me to finish the chapter/book based on my reading speed and tells me exactly how much I've read in percentages. I love how easy it is to look up words or get rough translations (this was really nice for Charlottle Bronte). I even love that I can read without anyone knowing what I'm reading because they can't see the cover. I read about 10 times as much as I used to before I bought it. I don't care that other people might not like them, but my Kindle is probably one of my favorite purchases I've ever made for myself. I just prefer the format.

I also really like audiobooks ;)

I agree with most of this. I use mine on the stair master and can make the font bigger. It stays open while I work out.

I still like "real" books for reference, cookbooks, my Bible, etc.

I even love that I can read without anyone knowing what I'm reading because they can't see the cover.

Good point. I see a LOT of ereaders on public transport... where there is no way to know if it's a Bible or 50 Shades of Gray. It's a pleasure to see so many people reading.