lavender's green

How would you pronounce this baby name?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce Helena?

• HEL-e-na
    • hel-AY-na
    • hel-EE-na
    • other

I'm considering the name Helena if I have a girl, but I've heard three different pronunciations and only like one of them. I'd just like to see how the hive would pronounce it. Choose whatever's closest to what you would say, or suggest something if I've missed a pronunciation. I'll come back later and post my favorite.

Thanks!

I would pronounce it with the accent on the first syllable, but almost everyone else I know pronounces it with the accent on the second syllable, long e. I think the first way is more of a European pronunciation, and the second way is more of an American pronunciation.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I actually meant for option 1 to sound like Helen-uh, but I wrote it in a slightly confusing way.

I grew up (in MI) hearing HeLAYna or occasionally HelEEna but I've heard Helen-uh as an adult and it has really grown on me. I'll definitely consider it for a girl. If a large majority had said #2 I'd be going back to the drawing board.

Where's our own Helena to weigh in??

I tend to say He-LAY-na (Hel-AY-na?), but would be willing to say Helen-a if asked. What I won't do is use a short i in pink.

I use your first pronunciation. Maybe more of a Hu/He sound. And I agree on pink, I keep trying to say it with the short i... I've never heard that pronunciation.

I'm considering the name Helena if I have a girl, but I've heard three different pronunciations and only like one of them. I'd just like to see how the hive would pronounce it. Choose whatever's closest to what you would say, or suggest something if I've missed a pronunciation. I'll come back later and post my favorite.

Thanks!

I voted the third one because that's how I've heard it pronounced when it's a name, so that's how I'd assume it was pronounced if I came across it. But I actually like the second one much better, and that's how I'd pronounce it if I named my child Helena.