Menu

This is a Just Agree With Me. I don't want to hear her perspective, I just want someone to agree with me that telling a stranger that her kids have boring names is rude.

Today I was told that my kid's have boring and unoriginal names. I thought that was rude and told them so.

Rude Person: Oh, so cute! What are their names?

Me: They are W--- and S----.

Rude Person. Oh(subdued voice) that's...nice. Kind of boring.

Me: What?

Rude Person: Well, just not very original. You know. Boring and plain.

Me: That's (I lose tact) really rude. It was SO nice to have met you.

Rude Person: You don't have to be upset. I'm just saying what I think.

Me: Yeah, me too. I'm just saying. You're rude. Buh-bye.

I walked away. She yelled at me, "Hey wait, I didn't mean.." but after that I couldn't hear her and stopped paying attention, because I was floored.

I agree - how rude to tell a parent they dislike their child's name!!

Yes!

Can I kiss you?! :lol::lol::lol:

Let me get back to you on that.

Ouch! I would have not responded as tactfully as you, that's for sure.

Good to know someone thinks I was tactful and not a complete....donkey.

Sounds like she needs a filter on her mouth ;) That is something one may think but NEVER say out loud to the mother.

I can't even imagine thinking it, to be honest. But yes, keep it to yourself if you don't like a child's name and are talking to their parent.

Yeah, you weren't the donkey in that conversation.:glare:

WHERE have people gotten the idea that the world must hear every single opinion that pops into their heads? WHO CARES what she thinks?? Seriously, though, where and how in the last 50-75 years did we as a culture lose the concept of the brain/mouth filter? I'm sure there were rude people in our grandparents' generation, but it seems like it's much more common/prevalent now.

YOU were not the rude one in that conversation. As for names, I much prefer normal "boring" names to the made-up, mispelled, and sometimes quite ridiculous (IIMO) ones that seems so fashionable these days, but I would never TELL anyone that. Oh, your daughter's name is Mystyrikiah? You named your son Whiskey? What lovely children. Oh look at that, I forgot the milk-it was wonderful to meet you!

Rude! I'd be floored too.

Yeah, you weren't the donkey in that conversation.:glare:

WHERE have people gotten the idea that the world must hear every single opinion that pops into their heads? WHO CARES what she thinks?? Seriously, though, where and how in the last 50-75 years did we as a culture lose the concept of the brain/mouth filter? I'm sure there were rude people in our grandparents' generation, but it seems like it's much more common/prevalent now.

:iagree:

Incredibly rude. You were quite tactful in your response in comparison.

It seems like rudeness (and "weird rudeness" especially) is on the rise. When did name snobbishness become a thing? I don't get it... :001_huh:

:iagree: I don't even care about name snobbishness, but when did sharing every f'ing thought that crosses your mind because "I'm only saying what I think/feel" become ok? Seriously. What is WRONG with people?

I definitely agree with you. Incredibly rude! She'd probably say the same thing to me - boring names here on all three. But I grew up never being able to find pre-printed personalized stuff. (Now I can find it everywhere, but then...) So I *wanted* my kids to be able to find stuff with their names on it.

Boring names of the world unite!

I think you responded very well. I'm impressed' date=' I don't think I would have been able to call her on it.[/quote']

Me too. I would have been too shocked to say anything. I think you responded well. Incredible rudeness under the pretext of 'just saying what she thinks.' Wow.

:iagree: I don't even care about name snobbishness, but when did sharing every f'ing thought that crosses your mind because "I'm only saying what I think/feel" become ok? Seriously. What is WRONG with people?

I'm just dying for someone to pull this one on me. I will say what I feel in return--which is something people who say that are NOT counting on.

They get to "say what they feel" since most people they meet are too nice to tell them "Well, I feel that you are an idiot and should definitely STFU".

This is a Just Agree With Me. I don't want to hear her perspective, I just want someone to agree with me that telling a stranger that her kids have boring names is rude.

Today I was told that my kid's have boring and unoriginal names. I thought that was rude and told them so.

I walked away. She yelled at me, "Hey wait, I didn't mean.." but after that I couldn't hear her and stopped paying attention, because I was floored.

:svengo::svengo::svengo:She was sooooo rude.

My kids have boring names too. ;)

I really couldn't imagine anyone not agreeing with you :001_smile:. Nor could I imagine that she might have any valid point of view that would make such comments even remotely OK. Your response was pretty perfect.

Even if someone's kids had the most boring/ugly/dumb/etc. names ever, the proper response is something civil. :banghead:

:iagree: I'm floored that this person thought it was okay to comment on your children's names at all. It wouldn't have mattered if you'd named them Lemon and Jello. I think your response was tactful and controlled in comparison. I can think of many other responses that might have been going too far easily off the top of my head. :tongue_smilie:

It sounds like the playground talk that my kids heard while we were on vacation in the mountains a few weeks ago. Another kid told my two girls that they were ordinary and that he was special. Keep in mind that the insults were being hurled by a 8ish year old boy. We all cracked up and now the running joke here at home is "oh your so ordinary".

Perhaps this woman has not developed past her 8ish year old verbal filter.

I didn't realize that there was an official name judger. I wonder at what point she decided that she was the authority on kids names. I'm totally bummed that I didn't know to call her up and get her approval before naming my kids. Now I am may never know if they live up to her...standards. How will I sleep tonight?

I completely agree with you. My kids all have more traditional names . I'm just not a fan of different or made up names. BUT I would NEVER EVER tell a mom that her kids names were ugly or that I did not like them. Even if it's the strangest name I just say "Oh that's cute!"

IMO it's the same as saying "Oh your kids are pretty plain looking. They have boring personalities"