Menu

Anyone else annoyed with Breast Cancer Awareness?

It doesn't bother me.

My mother was a breast cancer casualty.

I am undergoing treatment after my early diagnosis in May and three separate surgeries.

It doesn't annoy me. I'm not on every bandwagon but I do think bringing awareness encourages screening. Early detection saves lives.

:iagree:

I think part of the hope is that you see it everywhere and it reminds you to do your breast self exam. There are lots of other diseases that are horrible, but not many that you can catch so early by knowing your own breasts. Your yearly pap is every important, but if you saw pap awareness, is that going to motivate you to go call the doctor and spend money to get one. Breast cancer is one you can check for, on your own, for free.

So, those annoyed by the pink, are you doing a monthly self breast exam? When you see pink, ask if you have done yours this month.

I never did them, as I have no family history of breast cancer. My tissue was biopsied from another surgery and I am now in a high risk category with a 20% chance of developing breast cancer in the next 20 years. I do my monthly self check now, and yearly mammogram, and yearly gyn, and yearly oncologist. Early detection is so important.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep!:iagree: I think this is exactly what it's come to.

One year ago I lost my dad to bladder cancer and my stepmom to lung cancer within 33 days of each other. Where's the campaign for those?

Both my husband and my MIL had advanced stage Malignant Melanoma. DH almost had his right arm amputated due to the cancer. MIL died of it in less than 6 months. The irony is that there is very little funding for this disease compared to Breast Cancer. I also am highly suspicious of any corporate promotion saying they help fund scientific research at this point.

Son and I have a rare liver disease and we participate in a Phase III FDA Drug Study. The drug is about to be approved by the FDA and the results look amazing not only for our rare disease, but for HIV patients, chemo patients, and other rare diseases. But there is no help $$ for this drug. It is a rare orphan drug and given a "green light" by the FDA over other drugs that cost pennies to manufacture. This new drug unfortunately will cost the patient over $10,000 a month to use daily. And I know many insurances will refuse to pay for it... if they do, the 80/20 co-pay will set many people into bankruptcy.

I guess I look at the pink blitz thru different (skeptical) eyes and see companies making $$$ over so many hurting families. :glare:

Edited by tex-mex

I've had it with Komen. They'll sue other fundraisers for using the phrase"for the cure," the PP debacle, and donations from the p@rn industry aren't good enough for them. If I'm going to donate, I'd rather it go to the ACS or some other org more interested in women's health than in their own politics.

I think part of the hope is that you see it everywhere and it reminds you to do your breast self exam. There are lots of other diseases that are horrible, but not many that you can catch so early by knowing your own breasts. Your yearly pap is every important, but if you saw pap awareness, is that going to motivate you to go call the doctor and spend money to get one. Breast cancer is one you can check for, on your own, for free.

So, those annoyed by the pink, are you doing a monthly self breast exam? When you see pink, ask if you have done yours this month.

I never did them, as I have no family history of breast cancer. My tissue was biopsied from another surgery and I am now in a high risk category with a 20% chance of developing breast cancer in the next 20 years. I do my monthly self check now, and yearly mammogram, and yearly gyn, and yearly oncologist. Early detection is so important.

I do an exam and im annoyed by pink.

Also other cancers CAN be found early if you take care of yourself. IE: Bloodwork, Dr visits for Checkups (those are not just for kids!), etc. Sometimes when its caught late its not because of a lack of treatment but because of lack of education with the DR.

Ive lost my grandma to pancreatic cancer 1yr ago and my grandpa to lung cancer 2yrs ago. My grandmas was found late (her first symptom was heartburn and the family dr treated her as if it was heartburn). My grandpa was a stroke victim so there were other factors.

I have a good friend who's a five year breast cancer survivor. A couple of years ago, she said that she is stressed in October because reminders of her cancer are everywhere. All the awareness merchandise and pink items stir up all the feelings about her cancer and treatment.

She's a very emotionally well-adjusted person and she's not in denial; she just feels stressed by having to think about breast cancer every time she goes to the convenience store, grocery store, coffee shop, or goes on FB, watches tv, etc.

Lisa

I do not give to any causes like these unless I can give directly - as in write the check to - the research facility or charity. This is because my niece (dh's side of the family) is an event coordinator. When she was based in NYC, she was hired to do a Breast Cancer Awareness dinner and at the end of the event was appalled to discover that after all of these well-to-do people wrote their generous checks, research would only get 20%. She was furious. Her fees for the events she plans are STEEP because well, she's that good...you know... of the "Whose Wedding is it Anyway?" ilk only even more so, and she had HUGELY discounted her normal fees because she really wanted to support the cause. Several of her employees donated their time in order even further reduce the costs of the event. My MIL volunteered as a coat check person, etc. A measly 20% is all that was actually donated to the cause.

It should be illegal. Mostly, I believe it is marketing gimmick for those that want to make money while patting themselves on the back for doing a good deed. :glare:

Prostate cancer has hit every.single.male on dh's side of the family for two generations and given the descriptions of some of the health issues of men prior to that, I'd say it's afflicted this family for three generations. Yet, there are no blue ribbons out there for saving a man's life (his family gets the kind of prostate cancer that metasticizes to the bones and brain), his continence, and his love life. My dad has basil cell carcinoma on his face and my grandmother survived a melanoma. My mom's sister was just diagnosed with colon cancer. So, I find myself somewhat upset at this hyper focus on one cancer and then the constant "in your face" reminders to all breast cancer survivors every October. That seems cruel.

Faith

I have a good friend who's a five year breast cancer survivor. A couple of years ago, she said that she is stressed in October because reminders of her cancer are everywhere. All the awareness merchandise and pink items stir up all the feelings about her cancer and treatment.

Having read Barbara Ehrenreich's book Bright Sided, I also was fascinated to read about what she experienced once diagnosed with breast cancer, including that she wasn't "allowed" to be upset. Ever! She talks about a woman whose breast cancer returned, who was kicked out of a survivors' group! And how there are all these pamphlets and websites talking about how breast cancer was "the best thing that ever happened" to these women.

The fact is, some women will die from breast cancer. Making it only about pink ribbons, fundraising, celebrations, and "the power of positive thinking," in my opinion, eliminates the serious consequences of finding out one has cancer. I certainly am in favor of research for breast cancer, but I am not so excited about it as a vague platitude, any more than I am excited about mindless wavings of flags of "We support our troops!" messages that are more of the, "Thank God it's you and not me" variety. Or, I bought my coffee in a pink cup, so I am done helping those with breast cancer.

I do not give to any causes like these unless I can give directly - as in write the check to - the research facility or charity. This is because my niece (dh's side of the family) is an event coordinator. When she was based in NYC, she was hired to do a Breast Cancer Awareness dinner and at the end of the event was appalled to discover that after all of these well-to-do people wrote their generous checks, research would only get 20%. She was furious. Her fees for the events she plans are STEEP because well, she's that good...you know... of the "Whose Wedding is it Anyway?" ilk only even more so, and she had HUGELY discounted her normal fees because she really wanted to support the cause. Several of her employees donated their time in order even further reduce the costs of the event. My MIL volunteered as a coat check person, etc. A measly 20% is all that was actually donated to the cause.

It should be illegal. Mostly, I believe it is marketing gimmick for those that want to make money while patting themselves on the back for doing a good deed. :glare:

Prostate cancer has hit every.single.male on dh's side of the family for two generations and given the descriptions of some of the health issues of men prior to that, I'd say it's afflicted this family for three generations. Yet, there are no blue ribbons out there for saving a man's life (his family gets the kind of prostate cancer that metasticizes to the bones and brain), his continence, and his love life. My dad has basil cell carcinoma on his face and my grandmother survived a melanoma. My mom's sister was just diagnosed with colon cancer. So, I find myself somewhat upset at this hyper focus on one cancer and then the constant "in your face" reminders to all breast cancer survivors every October. That seems cruel.

Faith

Faith, I would be outraged by the 20% as well. So - is this how it works - a company says, "Here's a great scheme. We'll have this big Breast Cancer dinner, raise fistfulls of cash, donate a cozy little percentage and the rest is pure profit." Is that how it's working? That is seriously appalling!

Faith, I would be outraged by the 20% as well. So - is this how it works - a company says, "Here's a great scheme. We'll have this big Breast Cancer dinner, raise fistfulls of cash, donate a cozy little percentage and the rest is pure profit." Is that how it's working? That is seriously appalling!

Pretty much! It's quite a racket. She said that if the company hosting the benefit has an employee take five minutes of time at work to do anything for the cause, they'll claim the employee worked several hours. It makes for a wonderful tax loophole...all of that supposed lost productivity that must be made up for out of the proceeds of the fundraiser. :glare:

Faith

It seems my life is surrounded personally and professionally with disease and illness with stigma. My husband, who has non-alcoholic cirrhosis, my mom who died of lung cancer (after years of smoking, but having quit 15+ years before), with addicts of all kinds.

They each have/had an illness that won't be "colored" in terms of awareness. Their diseases are deadly, debilitating, life bruising, crushing.

My dd is writing a paper on her illness - she doesn't have a color.

I think the pink washing skews the reality, and cheapens all of it. The exploitation reinforces the cheapening.

It seems my life is surrounded personally and professionally with disease and illness with stigma. My husband, who has non-alcoholic cirrhosis, my mom who died of lung cancer (after years of smoking, but having quit 15+ years before), with addicts of all kinds.

They each have/had an illness that won't be "colored" in terms of awareness. Their diseases are deadly, debilitating, life bruising, crushing.

My dd is writing a paper on her illness - she doesn't have a color.

I think the pink washing skews the reality, and cheapens all of it. The exploitation reinforces the cheapening.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Joanne, I don't know what to say except that I pray for you and Adrian, the kids too, on a regular basis. It's so sad and you are absolutely right that this kind of thing seems to cheapen the experiences of those living with debilitating, life threatening diseases.

Faith

I do find it annoying.

Mainly it annoys me because of the whole 'awareness' thing.

People put some line on their Facebook status or buy a drink with a pink label, and think that's wonderful because they're raising awareness. But why do we need all this awareness? 99.9% of the population is already aware. When will it be time to stop working on awareness and start working on actual prevention, treatment and support for people with breast cancer?

Instead of copying the latest sexual innuendo Facebook meme (back when I was on FB, it was "I like it on the floor/table/bed" - yeah right, that tells you a lot about breast cancer, not!), try taking some real action on this important issue. Check your breasts regularly. Remind you mother, sister or best friend to check hers. Teach your adolescent daughter to be comfortable about her developing body so she will notice if something is wrong and not feel uncomfortable to consult her doctor. Breastfeed your baby, or encourage a new mother to do so (both being breastfed as a child and breastfeeding your own children reduce your risk). Work on your diet and lifestyle to become healthier and less stressed, or help others to do so. Donate some time or money to cancer research or a breast cancer support group.

The other thing that annoys me is how some business jump on the pinkwash bandwagon and exploit customers' desire to help. Apparently there are companies that only donate the tiniest amount of money but get much more worth of publicity.

:iagree: This sums up my feelings on the matter entirely (except the FB parts since I'm not thee).

Prevention measures used to prevent BC are also used to prevent many other cancers and diseases.

I feel the same way you do. And I feel guilty, but there it is.

Just today I was in a battery/light bulb store buying a battery and while I was checking out, I glanced around. And saw... are you ready for this?... a (very expensive) PINK based CFL light bulb. :001_huh:

I think what started as a good idea has just gone so far overboard that it's causing many people to block it all out and I find that to be such a shame.

I feel the same way as oP and i have family members and friends who have survived breast cancer. Breast cancer is NOT the number one killer of women by any means. It's heart disease. i would LOVE to see more discussion of this disease and how to prevent it, as oppposed to Pink Everything Everywhere.

It's not the only cancer, and it isn't the only cancer that needs awareness. The cancer my mother died from will never be researched. I have friends and family who have died from various cancers, and they deserve the same amount of consideration for finding a cure. I also have friends and family who are bre@st cancer survivors. I don't mean any disrespect to those who have lost someone to this cancer. I just wish the research and funds were spread a little more evenly.

I have lost family to breast cancer and other cancers as well and a rare disease.

The cancer my sister in law just died from is so rare that the NIH told a support group that there wasn't enough people with it to get research done on it. (NOT true btw) My sister has done the Susan G. Komen walk twice and my niece has as well.

It does seem to me that breast cancer has become commercialized and it is so because people ARE making money from it. Not right. Not right at all.

I've had it with Komen. They'll sue other fundraisers for using the phrase"for the cure," the PP debacle, and donations from the p@rn industry aren't good enough for them. If I'm going to donate, I'd rather it go to the ACS or some other org more interested in women's health than in their own politics.

No, you are not alone. When I consider that heart disease kills more women then breast cancer it kind of infuriates me. Breasts are sexy. Heart disease is not. Plus, all this think pink merchandise is beyond repulsive to me because they are marketing a serious disease. You have a $100 to spend so instead of donating $10 to breast cancer charity of your choice you buy a pink product and now the cancer organzation gets a $1.00. The merchandise is actually hurting charities.

Really, who isn't aware of breast cancer? If you want to do something then really do something. http://bcaction.org/

My husband is watching football and showed me how it's on there, too.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

We were talking about this last night while watching football. (We are suddenly a football watching family.) I was the only one who knew about the why over all the pink. I think the football players look silly in pink shoes, the coaches with their pink hats. Then dad (was visiting) mentioned that the golf course changed all their flags at the holes to pink. And we started to think about all the money spent to show their support. Pink shoes for a month. Pink hats for a month. Pink flags for a month. Why not send that money to a breast cancer organization instead of spending it to show that you support breast cancer research? The money could be better spent.

:iagree:I cringe at those "save the ta-tas" bumper stickers and t-shirts. Save the woman!

:iagree: Exactly! And why is it that people are some fanatical about saving the boobs (and forget about the woman attached to those), yet many, many people freak out when a woman nurses her baby in public? The boobs are not playthings. They're functional, and sometimes they try to kill you.

Just today I was in a battery/light bulb store buying a battery and while I was checking out, I glanced around. And saw... are you ready for this?... a (very expensive) PINK based CFL light bulb. :001_huh:

I think what started as a good idea has just gone so far overboard that it's causing many people to block it all out and I find that to be such a shame.

I used to work for a Christian ministry that helps victims of sexual trafficking in Asia. In this denomination's weekly publication, there was a line-up for the "advertising" of each ministry -- so, first they'd promote an African ministry, then a Latin American ministry, then an Asian ministry, then a European ministry. The explanation was that it helped (they thought) to prevent "donor fatigue."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donor_fatigue

Even though all these "pink things" are not requiring us to donate, exactly, they are so many random objects on a shelf -- in our face, when all we want to do is buy a light bulb. I don't think it creates a base of thoughtful, intentional, committed, and sacrificial donors. I think it can foster an annoyance with the prevalence of "pink things." Pink again? Really? On a light bulb?

Instead of bombarding consumers with pink buckets of fried chicken, :001_huh:perhaps Komen could become more thoughtful, more deliberate about raising support and awareness. I do think that we, as donors of any charity/ministry, need to be more deliberate about giving -- more thoughtful, more sacrificial, more committed, more aware.

And... (possibly not a popular opinion here)... I think that we should give in a way that changes our lives. Not just a shoulder-shrug, knee-jerk reaction to a pink gizzamawhat on the shelf, "Sure, I'll buy that." Instead, we should commit to ________ with conviction that ________ is worth a sacrifice, because _______ is doing good things to change real lives.

:iagree:I cringe at those "save the ta-tas" bumper stickers and t-shirts. Save the woman!

But, I think because they are bOOks, it changes the goal in some way for people. I have heard a man say he would have a hard time with a mastectomy because he married a woman. I think for many, they define women -- as sick as it is.

I actually wish the funds were for ALL cancer.

:iagree: One organization I started paying attention to is Stand UP 2 Cancer.

She's a very emotionally well-adjusted person and she's not in denial; she just feels stressed by having to think about breast cancer every time she goes to the convenience store, grocery store, coffee shop, or goes on FB, watches tv, etc.

Lisa

:iagree: As a cancer survivor, I agree, but I didn't have breast cancer. I can't buy a pink t-shirt that says survivor because I don't everyone to think I survived breast cancer. The above organization is the first place I've seen a "survivor" shirt that isn't marketed to a specific cancer. The emotional thing seems to hit me as I get older. I had cancer 18 years ago, there is strong percentage of recurrence or additional cancers due to the tx. I can't find very much information about the long term prognosis of people with my form of cancer (hodgkin's disese, now hodgkin's lymphoma), even with my mad google skills. 50 years ago people that had it died. Today the initial survival rate is much higher. My cancer was mild and caught early, but I still have all sorts of nagging issues due to the surgery and treatment. You may survive, but some of the effects never really go away. On raw days all the pink can leaving you thinking, hey, what about me, I survived too.

I guess I don't mind the pink so much, although dh did remark about the pink cars in the NASCAR race yesterday. I don't pay attention to where Komen puts its money, but consumerism and marketing is so screwed up. Everybody gets their .02 when I buy something. Heck, I earn points for watching videos on Swagbucks. It's like a big mass of illusion swirled together with concern and money. It's over saturated, imo. I don't blame companies for using marketing. Sometimes we buy like rats on the treadmill, thinking we're getting somewhere, doing something, but in the end we just end up with more stuff, executives that buy yachts and take island vacations, and peons (those being told they would get $ for research/prevention, etc) being told they should be happy with the 20%.

It doesn't bother me. I hardly notice it to be honest.

Same here. Probably because I am seldom ever in a store. But I do adore my bright pink ink pens that have now become quite easy to find in multipacks.

Our firm sponsors employees and family members who want to participate in the annual Race for Cure.

I am no more incensed by the breast cancer awareness hawking than by any other cause/holiday hawking. I let stuff like that go.

Actually, this article pretty much sums up my feelings. I also think more effort should be spent on prevention. My mom is also a breast cancer survivor.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/kfc-fights-breast-cancer-fried-chicken/story?id=10458830#.UHI9exgrcUE

Yes... what bothers me most is when I see pink ribbons on foods that likely contribute to cancer risk, either by being carcinogenic or contributing to obesity.

No one wants to touch the link between food consumption and cancer risk, primarily when it comes to meat and dairy. Nor do they discuss foods that are preventative, more than in a cursory manner.

No one wants to touch the fact that breastfeeding is preventative to mothers (again, beyond the cursory mention).

My mum is a breast cancer survivor and she proudly told me she is skipping meat-- one meal a week. She's still eating grilled red meats on a daily basis otherwise, and thinks 2 pieces of broccoli added to her meal, once a day, is a big deal.

I have to say as a person who lost their mother to breast cancer. Yes, I am totally annoyed with it as well. Instead of spending their time on an actual cure , and prevention most of that money that is made for Breast Cancer is for administrative costs.

I agree the Breast Cancer Society is profiting off of this and very little if any money ever actually goes to those with breast cancer and very little of that money actually goes to a cure.

So , no, your not the only one who feels that way.

My daughter has a rare condition that gets NO attention at all. I bet you've never heard of VACTERL. There are seriously so many diseases out there that deserve that publicity.

It ticks me off. DH had a rare cancer that mostly affects children. It has if you are one of the lucky ones a 60% survival rate at 5 years. Yet it known to reoccur. Breast cancer is not the only cancer out there. In my family, we have quite a few cancers that affect us. I am disgusted by the lack of research and little funding in to children's cancers. Why can October be Cancer Awareness month? I won't buy anything that has the Komen name on it.

And why is it that during the entire month I never hear about breastfeeding reducing the risk??

:iagree: This is why I've never donated to any breast cancer awareness campaign.

The money is in treatment, not the cure. Therefore we will never "find the cure", or at least, it'll never be released to the public. Can you imagine how many 100's of thousands of people would be out of jobs, from the lowest of low on the totem pole mail room person in the ACS offices all the way up to the docs, pharmaceutical researches, pharma bigwigs, etc.

I challenge everyone who is sick of the pink to read The China Study.

I absolutely HATE those rubber bracelets that say "I love boobies". I see them on the wrists of teenagers all the time around October. It's demeaning and sexualized and they're not thinking about cancer, they're being risque.

I am not a pink fan (but I am. P!nk fan!). But the boobie bands don't bother me at all. If a child, normally age expectedly self centered, thinks even a little about something outside themwelves such as cancer, I am for it.

I find them fun and lighthearted.

Yep, they positioned themselves as a political entity and then tried to make a power grab. They apparently prefer to polish their name rather than work with other women's health groups.

I have been throughly disallusioned. It might have started about helping women but it became big business and promoting themselves.

I lost a grandma to breast cancer, and it runs in my family. Yes, the pink thing drives me BATTY.

Instead of copying the latest sexual innuendo Facebook meme (back when I was on FB, it was "I like it on the floor/table/bed" - yeah right, that tells you a lot about breast cancer, not!), try taking some real action on this important issue. Check your breasts regularly. Remind you mother, sister or best friend to check hers. Teach your adolescent daughter to be comfortable about her developing body so she will notice if something is wrong and not feel uncomfortable to consult her doctor. Breastfeed your baby, or encourage a new mother to do so (both being breastfed as a child and breastfeeding your own children reduce your risk). Work on your diet and lifestyle to become healthier and less stressed, or help others to do so. Donate some time or money to cancer research or a breast cancer support group..

The facebook campaigns may be the stupidiest manifestation of this phenomenon. Does some random senseless post that is supposed to contain innuendo or imply that you're pregnant raise awareness of anything? Just absurd. And people feel like if they don't participate they're not being supportive of people with cancer.

No, I don't want to save my foil lids from my yogurt and mail them in, just make your donation already! As if they are really going to count the lids mailed in- what a waste of time! .

This I don't get either. If the yogurt company actually wanted to make a donation, they wouldn't make you jump through useless hoops to do it. Instead they want you to save a bunch of lids, put them in an envelope and mail them back so they can donate some pennies per lid. It's just a scheme to minimize the amount they have to donate while making you think you're doing charity work by buying their product. Most of the time you'd be better of to just write a check for the amount of the postage to a research org.

:iagree: Exactly! And why is it that people are some fanatical about saving the boobs (and forget about the woman attached to those), yet many, many people freak out when a woman nurses her baby in public? The boobs are not playthings. They're functional, and sometimes they try to kill you.

My first thought with "save the boobies" was along the lines of...don't we regularly remove those in cancer patients to save the rest of the PERSON? But anyhow...

When DD was a baby, they had one of the booths selling "I heart boobies" t-shirts in men's and women's sizes at some event. DW went up and asked if they had onesies. They didn't, and she suggested that they should! They were totally scandalized and felt that that was WAY to racy. We shouldn't imply that BABIES would like boobies! Only grown men and women are allowed to like them. Yay for sexualizing the breast and then basing an entire campaign on it. :glare:

Please keep in mind that my mother is a breast cancer survivor, so I'm not coming into this opinion without an understanding of or sympathy about the disease. I just am tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE. Do we not have other diseases or problems in this country that need more publicity than they are getting?

I feel that all these companies that put it on their products are too afraid to say no to it because they will come off as not caring about women's health. I'm to the point that I don't want to even buy something if it has it on it. My husband is watching football and showed me how it's on there, too.

Nope.

I absolutely HATE those rubber bracelets that say "I love boobies". I see them on the wrists of teenagers all the time around October. It's demeaning and sexualized and they're not thinking about cancer, they're being risque.

That's a great point.

To answer the OP, yes, I get tired of the entire campaign for all the reasons that others listed. Yes, we are aware. But let's use our time and energy helping those who are suffering from it, not on "research" to "non-profits" who are raking in millions for staff salaries.

I refuse to donate to SGK for ethical reasons. I would be more than happy to donate to actual men and women who are financially and emotionally suffering from BC, or organizations where the money goes straight to them.

My mom has had breast cancer twice (an uterine cancer) and it means something to her. It really does. It means something to her because when her mother had breast cancer her mom couldn't even say the word 'breast' to her family. It simply wasn't done. So, the openness, and discussing prevention, means so much to her. She also appreciates the education of women about treatment options.

The ta-tas and 'save the boobies' thing annoys me NO END. And, of course my mom's husband has a big sticker on his big ol' pickem up truck. But, he's the sort of man who would rather eat a bug (or hug another man) than put a pink ribbon on his bumper sticker. He can deal with 'ta-tas', and it means something to my mom, so I keep my mouth shut.

My mom and I do donate money to our local Planned Parenthoods to support free and reduced cost exams etc. That money stays in my community and helps my neighbors. I mean it literally helps my neighbors. I live in the part of town where adults are much more likely to not have heath care.

This spring, I am going to be in a race for the cure because my mom pretty much begged me to do it. How can I say no to her?

A genetic disorder runs in my family, and my mom has it. I might...50-50 chance... and it means cancer. Breast cancer, ovarian, uterine, colon, skin cancer, we have them all in my family. I have to live like I am at risk for them all. The focus on breast cancer doesn't bother me because I feel like a rising tide lifts all boats.

I am glad that there is a growing awareness of breast cancer and am happy that more dollars will be funneled into research. Whatever personal annoyance I may sometimes feel about marketing techniques can be set aside where there is a positive involved.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My mom has had breast cancer twice (an uterine cancer) and it means something to her. It really does. It means something to her because when her mother had breast cancer her mom couldn't even say the word 'breast' to her family. It simply wasn't done. So, the openness, and discussing prevention, means so much to her. She also appreciates the education of women about treatment options.

The ta-tas and 'save the boobies' thing annoys me NO END. And, of course my mom's husband has a big sticker on his big ol' pickem up truck. But, he's the sort of man who would rather eat a bug (or hug another man) than put a pink ribbon on his bumper sticker. He can deal with 'ta-tas', and it means something to my mom, so I keep my mouth shut.

My mom and I do donate money to our local Planned Parenthoods to support free and reduced cost exams etc. That money stays in my community and helps my neighbors. I mean it literally helps my neighbors. I live in the part of town where adults are much more likely to not have heath care.

This spring, I am going to be in a race for the cure because my mom pretty much begged me to do it. How can I say no to her?

A genetic disorder runs in my family, and my mom has it. I might...50-50 chance... and it means cancer. Breast cancer, ovarian, uterine, colon, skin cancer, we have them all in my family. I have to live like I am at risk for them all. The focus on breast cancer doesn't bother me because I feel like a rising tide lifts all boats.

When women go for screenings, they are likely getting pap smears and mammograms and blood tests and blood pressure checks. If "pink" reminds them to go, they'll be more likely to get early diagnosis for other health conditions.

Just keep in mind not every campaign will find all cases. A friend of mine just had a radical mastectomy last week. She faithfully did the monthly inspection and the yearly mammogram. She has stage 2 cancer which was never caught by the mammogram or the monthly self-exam. No history in her family. In fact, her mother is 97 and in good health. It was just caught because she happened to have another unrelated medical test and the doctor had a really good eye. If you could, please pray/send her good thoughts. She's now thinking she is not going to survive her mother.

The campaigns are good for awareness. The merchandising can be ignored.

Just keep in mind not every campaign will find all cases. A friend of mine just had a radical mastectomy last week. She faithfully did the monthly inspection and the yearly mammogram. She has stage 2 cancer which was never caught by the mammogram or the monthly self-exam. No history in her family. In fact, her mother is 97 and in good health. It was just caught because she happened to have another unrelated medical test and the doctor had a really good eye. If you could, please pray/send her good thoughts. She's now thinking she is not going to survive her mother.

The campaigns are good for awareness. The merchandising can be ignored.

Saying a prayer for your friend.

The money is in treatment, not the cure. Therefore we will never "find the cure", or at least, it'll never be released to the public.

I don't believe this at all. There are plenty of diseases that have been cured or at least prevented easily with a vaccine. Not every person in the medical field is a money-grubber with a cold heart. Lots of people do medical research because they want to help people. A company like Glaxo SmithKline (where my sister works as a researcher with a PhD in immunology) would not employ her and pay her HUGE amounts of money to spin her wheels and never produce a cure or viable preventive measure.

And related to that ... how is it that so many people are so adamant about having an unregulated (or barely regulated) free-market economy with no government investment in research but then complain about how this or that industry or person is only in it for the money? You can't really have it both ways.

And yes, I am tired of seeing pink ribbons everywhere.

Tara

Please keep in mind that my mother is a breast cancer survivor, so I'm not coming into this opinion without an understanding of or sympathy about the disease. I just am tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE. Do we not have other diseases or problems in this country that need more publicity than they are getting?

I feel that all these companies that put it on their products are too afraid to say no to it because they will come off as not caring about women's health. I'm to the point that I don't want to even buy something if it has it on it. My husband is watching football and showed me how it's on there, too.

My mother died from it. My grandmother survived it and died of unrelated pancreatic cancer.

I'd rather raise awareness about ALL types of cancer. I cannot tell you how offensive it is to me to 'save the ta-ta's'. No, I don't think the people who came up with it meant anything bad by it but it just irks me. I am more than ta-tas. If it comes down to it I will gladly lose the ta-tas and save my life.

Why don't we have liver cancer awareness? Brain cancer? Pancreatic? Prostate? Ovarian? It's all cancer and it's all bad. I don't think one is worse than another.

I suspect I'll fight it in my lifetime. But I think we're all quite well 'aware'. Let's do something about researching it.

Maybe I have issues with 'Awareness'. I have three autistic kids. There is plenty of awareness, IMO.

:iagree: I honestly feel it's exploitation. I can guarantee a ridiculously tiny amount of that money from sales actually goes towards cancer prevention.

You got it! Clinique is offering a limited edition Chubby stick lip gloss. $20 and only $3 goes to breast cancer. I mean really? If they cared wouldn't they donate all the proceeds?:confused:

Lisa

This is me. I am less bothered by it now, but two years out from my treatment I went into the Walmart and felt assaulted by the pink. I wanted to think about what groceries to buy, not be confronted with my mortality at that moment. I don't mind being open talking about my experience with friends, because I know they care. But companies feel like they are exploiting my experience for their gain, and it makes me sick.

"Save the tatas" and "I heart boobies" really annoy me too, for reasons mentioned upthread-- if I (or husband) had been concerned about saving my tatas (gag), I wouldn't be here now. It's like those phrases completely miss the reality of breast cancer treatment (i.e. a good chance of NO BREASTS).

Yes, heart disease is the number one killer of women overall, but breast cancer beats out heart disease in the younger ages (probably 30 to 50...I've looked up the numbers before).

If I had to raise awareness of anything, it would be about young adults and cancer in general. A lot of people don't realize that cancer is more deadly for younger people than older people. I caught my cancer as early as it could have been caught (clear clinical breast exam 2 months before diagnosis; too young for mammogram and they don't work well with premenopausal breasts), and I was still at stage IIIC, as bad as it can be without spreading to another organ. I was 32, and given a 50% chance of survival. Glad to be here. Breast cancer is not some sissy disease; it still kills a lot of people, and more young people than you would think.

Specifically, we need a reliable, noninvasive way to screen women under 40 for breast cancer. Mammograms are not it.

And, yes, I breastfed my three children 40 months altogether...so don't talk to me about breastfeeding reducing the risk of breast cancer. I think that is only true of postmenopausal breast cancer.