Menu

my son is giggling...

He was put to bed a couple of hours ago. He's still awake giggling. He's also babbling to himself.

He has down syndrome and will be 11 on Friday. The last 12 months have been horrendous. He experienced bullying by children and adults in a variety of settings and developed extreme anxiety. He lost skills (reading, writing, swimming). He stopped being a happy, joyful kid.

We went swimming today. We've been working on swimming all summer. He was on the neighborhood swim team last year. He did well. He developed a lot of fears and he couldn't swim at all at the beginning of the summer. He did well today he swam a couple lengths without my assistance. Then my friend came to the pool with her boys. ds went to play with them. He got in without assistance. He stood with his feet on the bottom of the pool--he hasn't touched his feet to the bottom since June -- this was one of many irrational fears that developed. Then, he played. He played with the two boys. He retrieved rings from the bottom. He played and played. He had a really good time.

I think he's just thinking about his day. It's been a year since I heard this much laughter. It feels good to just listen.

Thank you for reading. I'm crying now. My son played today. It has been so long since I've seen him play I cannot remember when he last played. Since the anxiety started he would just and fiddle with a rubber band --he would do that for hours. And today he played. He played with his friends. He was mischievous.

He was put to bed a couple of hours ago. He's still awake giggling. He's also babbling to himself.

He has down syndrome and will be 11 on Friday. The last 12 months have been horrendous. He experienced bullying by children and adults in a variety of settings and developed extreme anxiety. He lost skills (reading, writing, swimming). He stopped being a happy, joyful kid.

We went swimming today. We've been working on swimming all summer. He was on the neighborhood swim team last year. He did well. He developed a lot of fears and he couldn't swim at all at the beginning of the summer. He did well today he swam a couple lengths without my assistance. Then my friend came to the pool with her boys. ds went to play with them. He got in without assistance. He stood with his feet on the bottom of the pool--he hasn't touched his feet to the bottom since June -- this was one of many irrational fears that developed. Then, he played. He played with the two boys. He retrieved rings from the bottom. He played and played. He had a really good time.

I think he's just thinking about his day. It's been a year since I heard this much laughter. It feels good to just listen.

So precious. I'm glad he had such a good day. :)

Thank you for reading. I'm crying now. My son played today. It has been so long since I've seen him play I cannot remember when he last played. Since the anxiety started he would just and fiddle with a rubber band --he would do that for hours. And today he played. He played with his friends. He was mischievous.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I have a profoundly Autistic ds so from one mama's heart of a special boy to another I totally get what you're feeling. They struggle so much, it's so great to see them happy and enjoying a good day. :)

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this. We had a rough, rough day over here. I've been dealing with some health issues that can't be figured out, and had a rough day with that, and on top of that, DD decided to be whiny and distracted during math and took over and hour to complete less than 20 minutes worth of work. And that was only with lots of complaining.

But the thought of your son laying there giggling... well. It brought tears to my eyes. :001_wub: So sweet. I'm glad he's getting back to happy!! He helped me get back to happy this evening. :D

Oh, Betty!!!!! what a sweet, sweet, sweet thing to share!!! i am so sorry your son as bullied. Whar awful people for adults to do this to a special needs CHILD!!!!! I know what that feels like and it hurts so bad.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am so happy your baby boy is giggling with delight!!!