Menu

How long was your engagement?

Four months. About average for an LDS couple having a temple wedding. Six months would be pushing the outer limit of acceptable. LOL

We were engaged 6 months and attending Ricks college (BYU-I) at the time. We were surrounded by people getting married in a 6-8 week time period after getting engaged and they all thought we were nutters for "waiting so long."

We got engaged in November and there was no way I was getting married during Christmas break so we waited for the next semester to end and got married in May.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised you people remember all these details?! I have no idea. A year or something? I don't really remember the specifics about getting engaged, but it was roughly a year. But I wasn't proposed to or anything so maybe that's why it was not particularly memorable. We just agreed to get married.

:iagree:

We dated about a year, we were engaged about a year.

I needed awhile to organize everything, my family is pretty big and spread out over the globe, so to get everyone there was a big deal. Then we had to have more than a wedding as so many people were traveling. There was a big family reunion the night before the wedding (that I also had the joy of organizing), finding hotels and transportation and helping with travel arrangements. It was great though, our family still talks about it as the greatest family party ever (that I happened to get married during:D) To me though (and this is just me, everyone looks at their own wedding differently) the most important part was family, I loved having them all there with us.

We met *briefly* in late April 1987.

First date- May 11, 1987.

Engaged in July 1987.

Married Sept. 1987.

So dated for 2 months, engaged 2 months = 4 months total.

First baby born in 1993.

This year will be our 25th anniversary (but that first year of marriage was a DOOZY! :D).

TWO. LONG. YEARS.

Yeah, I'm not for long engagements. Especially if you believe in waiting till marriage. The combination is called TORTURE.

(and this was after courting/dating for two years...so four years from meeting and going steady to married :svengo: )

Edited by mommaduck

We met *briefly* in late April 1987.

First date- May 11, 1987.

Engaged in July 1987.

Married Sept. 1987.

So dated for 2 months, engaged 2 months = 4 months total.

First baby born in 1993.

This year will be our 25th anniversary (but that first year of marriage was a DOOZY! :D).

That sounds very similar to my parents; they met and married in a matter of a couple months. Everyone thought they had to get married, but I didn't arrive for another 11 years :001_smile:.

We met April 2, 2011, had three dates that week and by the third one he was saying he wanted to marry me. I told him he was out of his mind and almost never saw him again. :-)

We were engaged by sometime in June (I don't remember the date) and married on April 4, 2012. :001_wub:

So, about a 9.5 month engagement after dating about 2 months.

8.5 months.

Dd's will be 21 months unless he gets a job in his field really, really fast post graduation and they bump it up to next summer....kind of hoping they don't because there are some logistics here and not a single venue in this county even has a Saturday opening to host a wedding for 2013! YIKES!!!!

Faith

We started dating in Feb 2008

I PCS'd in July 2008

He came to visit in September 2008 we were engaged before he flew home

We were married December 20, 2008

This is very similar to Dh and I.

We met in March 1999

I PCS'd in June 1999

We got engaged in August 1999 while he was on TDY in my state.

In September 1999, I met his parents for the first time and had a whirlwind weekend of premarital counseling.

We got married December 17, 1999

So funny!

We had ours pretty short, less than five months. It couldn't be done in less than four months, because back then we were Catholics. We had already been a couple for three years before we were married and we had been planning to marry after my dh graduated. But, since my mom was not expected to live that long (and she didn't, dying about three weeks before he graduated), and I wanted to have a living parent at my wedding (my dad had died when I was 13), we planned it once we knew what my mom had and what the prognosis was.

"Officially" met in February '95, one restaurant trip after church with youth.

"Asked me out" May 30, '95

"First date" June, '95

"Found the ring" July 13, '95 (Dated one month before engagement)

"Official Proposal" July 20, '95

"Wedding day" Nov. 11, '95 (Engaged for under 4 months)

6 months.

We met in Jan, got engaged in May, married in November. I turned 21 in October.

My mom was less than thrilled, to say the least.

We've been married almost 11 years!

Another one here who had less-than-thrilled parents. :p

I was 19 and we got married exactly 1 year after our first date.

We had our 12th anniversary this summer. :D

(Everyone thought I'd drop out of college, etc....well, just to thumb my nose at them, I graduated a semester early and with a 4.0. So there! :p)

We were very close friends until the day we decided to get engaged. We decided we did NOT want to ruin our friendship and it was all or nothing, so we got engaged. That was around Christmas of '94. We married July 1st of '95, so 6 months?

The only reason we waited so long is because my parents were overseas and couldn't get back to the States until then! :D

We were engaged for 18 months before we got married, and dated 4 years and 2 months before engagement. We'd been together a little over 5 1/2 years total before we got married. DH was still only 20 on our wedding day. :tongue_smilie:

Our 7th anniversary is next weekend. December will be 13 years together total.

3 months. My mom almost killed me.

I remember slowly sneaking things out of my house to DH's. Then one day I think she realized I wasn't living there anymore :lol:. I lived with my parents until we were engaged, which was basically 2 months after meeting.

This thread is really makin me feel better about our crazy short courtship.

Ummm...

We met Oct 26th.

Engaged Dec 16th. (6 wks, 5 days after we met)

Married Apr 3rd. (5 mths, 6 days after we met).

Sounds like us!

We met Sept 28

Moved in October 19 3 weeks after we met

Engaged Nov 28 8wks 4 days after we met

Married May 9th 7 months 1 week and 1 day after we met

Sunday, Talking about getting married and whittled down dates for family obligations over the next few months.

Monday/Tuesday called a couple people who would want to be there to make sure they could make it in time.

Wednesday, made official announcement and everyone made travel plans

Thrursday, engagement ring on finger and formal "will you marry me"

Friday, shopping

Saturday, wedding.

From one ring to two....2 days.

This one's kind of hard. If we go from when I got the engagement ring, it would be nine months. If we go from when I told him we were getting married (he agreed) then 26 mos. We were still in high school for the latter and couldn't afford an engagement ring, though he did get me a cute little sapphire ring the same month we got together.