Menu

She gave me a lecture

My sister who is only 1 year out of school with a teaching degree and no children of her own gave me a lecture that 'if I am to homeschool, dh and I are to sit down with my children individually and let them know what is expected of them blah, blah, blah" This was a unsolicited lecture. I hs'd my oldest 2 several years, I've been a mom for 19 years I think I know what I'm doing.

I used to know it all.....sigh.....I miss those days. :lol:

I was a first year teacher.

I was a 16th year teacher. I still would have had reservations about homeschoolers.....those wacky people who kept their children locked up in closets and all! :D

My sister who is only 1 year out of school with a teaching degree and no children of her own gave me a lecture that 'if I am to homeschool, dh and I are to sit down with my children individually and let them know what is expected of them blah, blah, blah"

Sounds as though she "got" the crowd control aspect of her teacher certification coursework. When she has had a year or two of submitting lesson plans to comply with regs, form production/management, parent conferences, staff meetings, taking attendance, writing hall passes...then she might understand why being able to parent and teach is a different ball game.

I think you should take full advantage of her superior knowledge. Frequently. At three in the morning. You know, when you're awake and can't decide which curriculum to use. Or Friday night when she's out on a date. Perhaps early Sunday morning when she's sleeping in. Send her countless texts asking for her help with comparisons of math manipulatives.

I'd drive her freakin insane.

I think you should take full advantage of her superior knowledge. Frequently. At three in the morning. You know, when you're awake and can't decide which curriculum to use. Or Friday night when she's out on a date. Perhaps early Sunday morning when she's sleeping in. Send her countless texts asking for her help with comparisons of math manipulatives.

:lol::lol::lol:

sounds like one of the bumper stickers my mom kept threatening to put on her car when I was in High School "Hire a teenager while they still know it all."

My sister who is only 1 year out of school with a teaching degree and no children of her own gave me a lecture that 'if I am to homeschool, dh and I are to sit down with my children individually and let them know what is expected of them blah, blah, blah" This was a unsolicited lecture. I hs'd my oldest 2 several years, I've been a mom for 19 years I think I know what I'm doing.

My response: "Well, bless your heart!" or "Aren't you cute?" Pat her on her shoulder or hand. "Would you like some bean dip?"

:lol:

sounds like one of the bumper stickers my mom kept threatening to put on her car when I was in High School "Hire a teenager while they still know it all."

:iagree: That was exactly my thought. Let her enjoy knowing everything while she can. It'll be the last time in her life she's got it all figured out. ;)

Love this plan!

My response: "Well, bless your heart!" or "Aren't you cute?"

Being in the south, I think "Bless your heart!" is always an appropriate response.

But I love the "Aren't you cute?" Tucking that away in a mental file for the perfect time to roll it out... :lol:

My SIl has been a teacher for 3 years. She has only spoken to our family twice in 5 years. My kids are her only nieces and nephews and she has no children of her own. Now that I am hs'ing however she posts constantly on my FB wall telling me what to do and has called multiple times. In fact she felt it important to let me know, via FB, that after thinking about it she feels it's best that I keep ds home (who has disabilities as well as a very high IQ) but send dd (who is also bright but her "disability" is under check) to school. Whatever. I'm choosing to ignore her and move on.

:iagree::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

awesome

Ah, I remember being a perfect parent: before I had any children. It was so satisfying making mental judgments about how wrong parents were and how much better I'd do it one day! :blush5:

Bonus points to you for not laughing crazily or becoming violent.

Just ignore her. ;) I was a first year teacher once and knew it all, too.

People without kids know everything about parenting, too.

She'll realize what a moron she sounded like. Give it 5 years. ;)

:iagree:

First time teachers at school are always so certain they'll be the one who fixes everything. In a couple of years, they start to realize that life happens and there is no one "fix" or "right" thing to do for everyone.

Ah, I remember being a perfect parent: before I had any children. It was so satisfying making mental judgments about how wrong parents were and how much better I'd do it one day! :blush5:

Bonus points to you for not laughing crazily or becoming violent.

Yup...

My SIl has been a teacher for 3 years. She has only spoken to our family twice in 5 years. My kids are her only nieces and nephews and she has no children of her own. Now that I am hs'ing however she posts constantly on my FB wall telling me what to do and has called multiple times. In fact she felt it important to let me know, via FB, that after thinking about it she feels it's best that I keep ds home (who has disabilities as well as a very high IQ) but send dd (who is also bright but her "disability" is under check) to school. Whatever. I'm choosing to ignore her and move on.

This is exactly what my father said to me! He's "fine" with ds being home, but he hopes I'm not messing up dd like that! LOL.

:lol::smilielol5:

ah - to be young again. :smilielol5:

Sunday an older woman (80 - love her dearly) at church was asked to speak on a few subjects. she was a kindergarten teacher, and mentioned her experience as a new teacher with 39 kids in one session and 40 in the other. she was embarassed to admit she went in, and told all the parents how to be a parent. (she had an infant). I'm sure much of it came from her teaching training program. lo, these many years later, the memory makes her :blushing: .

2dd used to tell me how I needed to handle dudeling. (undiagnosed aspie) 2dd is great with kids, but had spent very little time with him - only as a visitor. 1dd and I just laid in wait, and :smilielol5: ah. reality bites.

just sit back knowingly - and :smilielol5:reality will bite your sister too.;)

She'll realize what a moron she sounded like. Give it 5 years. ;)

If she's a nice person she may one day be embarrassed and apologize to you. I had to apologize to my best friend who wanted to homeschool about 15 yrs. ago. I chuckled and teased her about the whole idea.

She didn't end up homeschooling at all, but I did!

I've apologized. Several times.

Alley

:lol: Ok, you should totally do it. Have the whole sit down thing and all. Be reallllllllllllly tedious. Videotape that, with the camera focused on the kids' faces. Send her the tape.

Let the kids know ahead of time that it's a joke so they don't get to weirded out. Maybe get them to act zombie-like or something.

I can one up you. My sister is in her first year of ECE SCHOOL and I am already starting to hear this. It is hilarious. I don't make fun of her though, I know she thinks what she is doing is helpful. SHe still does not know when/how to give advice and how not to offend people.

I vote for give her a hug and thank her for caring - years and years ago my SIL announced they were going to homeschool. I seriously asked her, wait for it... if she wasn't worried about making her kids weird.

a few years later we decided to homeschool. So yeah, she probably means well and loves you and loves your kids and 5 years from now she will blush over the advice she tried to give you.

Being in the south, I think "Bless your heart!" is always an appropriate response.

But I love the "Aren't you cute?" Tucking that away in a mental file for the perfect time to roll it out... :lol:

:iagree: but now I'm thinking a one-two combo of "Well, bless your heart! Aren't you cute?" would stop her right in her tracks.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a use for that later today. *hehehehehe* :D

Ok, this had me lol!

Brenda