Menu

Dating myself . . . where were you on this day in 1969?

Today is the anniversary of the first moon landing . . .

I had just turned 6 and recall watching the fuzzy black and white pictures on our little TV in the trailer we lived in . . . made my dad drive all over to every Gulf gas station as they were giving away a commemorative book free with fill up. I still have that book. Were you here? Do you remember? :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was probably asleep in my crib in our church parsonage. My dad was a pastor of a teensy little county church in Ky. All I remember is the green carpet, the concrete porch, skinning my knees and tearing my tights when I fell running to the church, and the sweet neighbor boys getting off the school bus. :D

I had just turned 4, but since we lived on the northeast coast of FL, all things space were huge. I have vague memories of the excitement in my home. I have other memories of watching rockets going up from the top bar of my swingset. :) Those were cool years to be a kid. :)

I was 3 months old, on a blanket with my parents on the back patio of family friends, while they all watched on a tiny b&w set. It was very high tech, as it was plugged into an extension cord that snaked out of a window. I'm told I was completely uninterested. :001_smile:

I was sitting in our cozy little family room in our 1960's rambler-style home in California, watching the moon landing with my parents and brother and probably wearing my brother's hand-me-downs. :) I remember running outside to look at the moon to see if I could see them. In my memory, not only is the TV show black and white, but I am black and white too. :)

8 years old, Angels Stadium in Californai. The game hadn't started yet and they broadcast the final moments of the Eagle's landing, then fireworks were set off (in daylight). I loved astronomy and begged my dad to leave the game so we could get home to the tv.

Edited by linders

I was 5, and I was snuggled up on the couch with my 17yo sister and the rest of the family watching on our black and white.

This thread reminds me that I am old enough to be mom to a lot of you. :001_smile:

Edited by MamaT

I was 6 years old, glued to the television set in our living room, and surrounded by a bunch of neighbors that had been invited over to watch on our (apparently novel) 19" color TV. My mom loved any excuse for a party and had us all pretty pumped up about it.

We were a little surprised when the pictures finally came in, though, and they were in black and white. I remember the neighbor ladies trying to get my parents to explain why our color TV wouldn't work right for the "moon pictures".

Threads like these remind me that I'm actually old enough to be a grandmother instead of a mother with young children. No wonder I'm always so tired. :D

Well, I'm both a grandmother AND a mother of youngish children (11) and that is exactly why I am so tired!:lol: