Menu

s/o Three things you love about your state/province

Someone included this in Laura's thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Feel free to say where (or not, just be enigmatic) if it's not in your little corner info.

For me:

- free museums

- the forest in the middle of the city (except occasionally the traffic issues it creates)

- the metro

Other than snow and ice, we generally are a disaster-free state (no serious tornadoes, earth quakes, etc.).

The trees/mountains/wildlife, and the fact that there is a lack of creepy, deadly wildlife compared to other states (lack of poisonous snakes, killer bees, etc.).

No sales tax.

I'm in NH.

Oh, have to add a 4th. Where I live, I'm an hour away from the ocean, an hour away from a big city (Boston), and an hour away from the White Mountains. It's easy-access to everywhere I'd want to go. I love that & can't believe I didn't add that originally.

-Super easy homeschool laws

-Diversity of people

-Diversity of resources - within an hour we could be at the ocean, a major city, a deep forest, climbing mountains or white water rafting. within 30 minutes I could be at Target, IKEA, a great library, book stores, great restaurants, movie theaters, while still only having one neighbor in sight and a beautiful view of mountains, a river and nature.

Michigan:

Natural Beauty - Pictured Rocks National Seashore/Hartwick Pines, Petoskey, our state parks are absolutely lovely, Keewenaw Penninsula, Lake of the Clouds, Mackinaw Island, etc. this state is truly gorgeous in many, many places.

4-H, though we think there is room for a TON of improvement, apparently we have a banging 4-H program compared to many states.

The change of seasons - we lived in Florida for a year and I really struggled with it being the same all the time...I particularly love spring, and autumn plus that first snowfall of the season.

Low cost of living compared to so many areas of the country.

My parents and my MIL are here - they brighten the state! :001_smile:

Faith

Low cost of living

Family lives here - most siblings, my parents, some aunts and uncles.

Plenty to do - zoo, science, art, and history museums, lots of theatre and music, minor leagur baseball, NBA basketball, hockey, canal downtown....

1.) The gorgeous scenery. Mountains where I am and desert in the south. We have it all in Utah!

2.) Family oriented, child friendly state with lots of great things to do.

3.) Generally low cost of living, high employment, easy, beautiful, CLEAN place to live. Low crime rate, too.

Alberta - my birth province:

- Rocky Mountains

- No sales tax

- Calgary Stampede!!! Yeehah!

Ontario - my transplanted province:

- Takes three days to drive across and you get sick of seeing lakes, trees and rocks so that you actually WANT to see prairies

- Beautiful brick and stone buildings in cute small towns

- Warmer than the prairies with lots of snow for skiing and beautiful fall foliage (winter is only 3 months instead of 6!!)

Three things I DON'T like about Ontario:

- HST

- Liberal gov.

- Driving through or in Toronto

Alberta - my birth province:

- Rocky Mountains

- No sales tax

- Calgary Stampede!!! Yeehah!

Ontario - my transplanted province:

- Takes three days to drive across and you get sick of seeing lakes, trees and rocks so that you actually WANT to see prairies

- Beautiful brick and stone buildings in cute small towns

- Warmer than the prairies with lots of snow for skiing and beautiful fall foliage (winter is only 3 months instead of 6!!)

Three things I DON'T like about Ontario:

- HST

- Liberal gov.

- Driving through or in Toronto

Ha! I did the opposite...moved from ON to AB!

1. Horizon Blue Cross (In conjuction with the state. Our personal family plan went up by just $36 year-over-year. In NJ. The land of insane insurance rates.)

2. The people. High cost-of-living seems to make folks perform or weeds them out.

3. The shore, and specifically, our sand. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......(Well, esp. my personal sand, as it is raked and fluffed by the town daily.)

4. The Governor. He just cracks me up. He is the poster child for communication "NJ-style."

5. The food. Even in small towns, you will find shacks and bars staffed by chefs.

6. Tomatoes. Don't even try to compete.

P.S. I can't count.

1. My sister is here

2. My parents are here

3. My MIL is here

It would be so much easier to pick an ideal place for me and dh if we were trying to get away from family. :lol:

I do (mostly) appreciate the political leaning of my state, and the many nearby alumni from my college. The growing season and the cost of living are great. And we love our church... it's a wonderful mix of traditional and intellectual that I can't imagine finding elsewhere.

But the summers and the springs and the winters are all... meh. And I want desperately to get away from the city sprawl. Mostly it's the family that's keeping us here.

I wish I could say the beautiful weather, breathtaking scenery, amazing cultural opportunities, lack of traffic issues, or great public transportation.

Instead I will say

1) low cost of living

2) borrowing from elegantlion:

state laws that don't presume you are an idiot.

3) homeschooling laws are great (there are none)