Menu

s/o Three things you love about your state/province

My city has a lot of cultural activities

My husband is gainfully employed here

Our church and friends

I hate the weather. Summer is HIGH humidity, and winter really isn't that cold. There isn't any delightful wildlife or natural wonders. We're midwestern blah.

Cultural resources out my door - museums, theaters, orchestra, concerts, festivals, art fairs, etc etc etc

The outdoors - 10,000 lakes, 10,000 bike trails, 10,000 hiking trails, 10,000 x-c ski trails, 10,000 camp grounds. :D

The political leanings and general level of tolerance here (I live urban)

I wish I could say the weather, but this summer stinks! WAY too hot for my taste.

Really, really free provincial health care system - ours has no co-pays for almost every service, save electives and ambulance.

Extremely low unemployment rate - quite truly, no one who wants a job and is even moderately trainable will lack for a job.

No one ever remembers we're here, so we don't have to deal with many tourists

Really, really free provincial health care system - ours has no co-pays for almost every service, save electives and ambulance.

Extremely low unemployment rate - quite truly, no one who wants a job and is even moderately trainable will lack for a job.

No one ever remembers we're here, so we don't have to deal with many tourists

I love your third reason!

Living in rural Western Colorado, having originally lived for 30 years in Southern California, what I love most is:

1) Weather...real, honest to goodness weather. Lovely fall with the changing color of the leaves and crisp air, winter with its blanket of snow and the way the world slows down, spring as the earth comes alive and summer...well...it gets a little hot for me to pretend I really love summer! However, those mid-summer monsoons with the blue skies one moment and the darkened, angry clouds overhead with lightning all around are pretty impressive!

2) Streams and waterfalls everywhere, red rock cliffs, high desert expansiveness, Monarch Pass and the pines as far as the eye can see.

3) The warmth and friendliness of the people who live in my community. the fact that, for the most part, no one is out to impress anyone, that it is completely normal at the end of the day to find a local rancher in his well worn boots and dirty Levi's sitting in a nicer restaurant, or that makeup sales here for women are far lower than they were in So. Cal. Haha!

I could go on and on, this is truly my heart home!

Cindy

Someone included this in Laura's thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Feel free to say where (or not, just be enigmatic) if it's not in your little corner info.

For me:

- free museums

- the forest in the middle of the city (except occasionally the traffic issues it creates)

- the metro

Home State - Iowa:

1. It has REAL seasons! You know when you're in winter, fall, spring, and summer! Best part of Iowa!

2. A house with a yard means a REAL yard... Not a tiny square of land big enough to sit criss cross on.

3. The economy has stayed pretty strong and housing prices pretty moderate.

Current State - Oregon

1. Free Recreation - Their state parks and wilderness is gorgeous... And did I mention free? If you're bored in Oregon you don't deserve to be here.

2. Food. You like... Well, ANYTHING? Oregon has that.

3. A great concentration of homeschoolers and homeschooling opportunities!

1. My sister is here

2. My parents are here

3. My MIL is here

It would be so much easier to pick an ideal place for me and dh if we were trying to get away from family. :lol:

Smart, smart woman. We moved away to experience the West coast. It's beautiful here. I LOVE the ocean. But, I have found over the last three years there is a time and a place when you will very much WANT to be living next to family.

1. Lots of trees and green spaces

2. An awesome engineering state university

3. We are halfway between my parents and my sisters and grandmother, so we get to see Mom and Dad every time they drive to visit any of them. (Sisters and Grandma all live in different places.)

6. Tomatoes. Don't even try to compete.

No offense, but after more than 40 years of living in Florida there's very little I miss about Jersey. Food in general, and specifically tomatoes, are among the few things I'll never stop missing.

There's a million reasons to love Florida!

:001_smile:

:iagree: But three of mine are:

-family (both sides) nearby

-natural beauty (there's so much more to Florida than theme parks)

-easy homeschool laws

It's kind of funny when you read and think, "Eek! Those wouldn't be my three!"

So true!

1. Access to everything-

You want ocean? We've got it. Everything from chilly, rocky beaches to sunny surf.

You want volcanic mountains? We have those.

You want rainforest? Yep, we have that too.

Desert? Check.

Some of nature's most amazing & beautiful sights (Yosemite, Tahoe, Giant Redwoods, etc.) Yes

Exciting urban cities with their shopping, culture & nightlife? Yesiree.

Tiny little agriculture or ranching based towns? Oh yeah, I was born & raised in one of those.

Disneyland, Universal Studios, and two Six Flags theme parks? Come on down.

Professional baseball, football, hockey, just about any sport you can think of? It's all here.

2. Educational opportunities- You can pooh-pooh the public education in CA all you want (and you should) but homeschooling is as easy as pie here. For higher education there is everything from Caltech, Pepperdine, Stanford, UC Berkley to the local community colleges that are happy to take homeschoolers. In or near San Jose there are five community colleges, two major universities and Stanford just up the street.

3. The most important reason to love CA? Both Dh & I were born & raised here. My family is here. My parents, my in-laws, even my sister. The state is big enough that we can visit with no problem, but surprise visits are unlikely (3 hours away.)

Yes, there is a lot of crazy here, but I love my home state.

Amber in SJ

Alberta - my birth province:

- Rocky Mountains

- No sales tax

- Calgary Stampede!!! Yeehah!

Ontario - my transplanted province:

- Takes three days to drive across and you get sick of seeing lakes, trees and rocks so that you actually WANT to see prairies

- Beautiful brick and stone buildings in cute small towns

- Warmer than the prairies with lots of snow for skiing and beautiful fall foliage (winter is only 3 months instead of 6!!)

Three things I DON'T like about Ontario:

- HST

- Liberal gov.

- Driving through or in Toronto

I have a friend that drove back to ALberta from NS where she had moved for a couple years. SHe kept posting about the journey on FB and referred to Ontario as the province that wouldn't end.