Menu

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kid's names are not on the list, so I guess we do ok naming them. ;)

Those names on the list are all fine with me. The one's that truly bug me are the made up names or names that should not be used for people, like Michael Jackson's son, Blanket. :ack2:

I do dislike (hate is a very strong word) most of those names, but actually had Tristan on our list for DS8 before realizing that I actually didn't like the name enough to give it to my child.

My brother's name is Michael and my niece is Emily so cannot say those bother me at all.

Those names on the list are all fine with me. The one's that truly bug me are the made up names or names that should not be used for people, like Michael Jackson's son, Blanket. :ack2:

:iagree:

And Apple and Buddy Bear :001_huh:

I personally love the name Aidan! It is DS's first name and DD's middle name is Grace. I generally dont agree with people on name opinions. I have only met one other Aidan. I guess it is not popular arpund here.

My dislike of names comes from bad experience with a kid. I had two Logans in daycare....disliked both. Had a real problem with th name until my best friend named her son Logan, he is a sweetie and has redeemed the name for me :)

I have a Jackson. I can only imagine how much those posters would hate my using is for a girl.

Miss Happy is Vivienne Jackson, and my cousin has an Abigail Jackson.

It is a family name that my dad requested we use if we ever had another boy. I figured, at my age, another pregnancy is unlikely, so I'd better use it, girl or boy, and I'm glad I did.

If I do happen to have another boy at 46, I'll name him John Paul Edward. I didn't see that on the list. whew!

I have a Jackson. I can only imagine how much those posters would hate my using is for a girl.

Miss Happy is Vivienne Jackson, and my cousin has an Abigail Jackson.

It is a family name that my dad requested we use if we ever had another boy. I figured, at my age, another pregnancy is unlikely, so I'd better use it, girl or boy, and I'm glad I did.

If I do happen to have another boy at 46, I'll name him John Paul Edward. I didn't see that on the list. whew!

I don't think the same rules apply for middle names though. Jackson as a middle name to me is a lot like the traditional practice of giving last names as middle names. My poor grandmother got "Bagshaw" as her middle name, from some long-toothed ancestor or relative.

I have to say I think a lot of the "hate" stems from them becoming so common. I agree with a pper in that I probably know about 3 kids with each of the names on the list.

I don't have an issue with any of them and figure parents can name their kids what they want.

I'm happy that our quest for reasonably normal, but not too common names seems to be in ok standing.

The biggest issue we have it getting people to understand that even though we were stationed with the Navy in WA when my oldest was born his is not named after Naval Station Everett, we weren't stationed there and honestly I had picked that name out long before I met dh and knew there was a base in that city.

There was a boy on ds's baseball team a few years ago named "Blade". Why would you do that to your kid? It immediately made me think of switchblades and gangs.

I personally like unusual names, having grown up with one, but I really don't care for names that are really out there, and "Blade" falls into that camp for me.

This year there is a kid on the team named "Games" and everyone keeps calling him "James". I wouldn't do that to my kid either.

I don't think the same rules apply for middle names though. Jackson as a middle name to me is a lot like the traditional practice of giving last names as middle names. My poor grandmother got "Bagshaw" as her middle name, from some long-toothed ancestor or relative.

I don't like made up names. If a name is a real name (or even a real word, like Wildflower, or Cotton, or Sapphire) I'm okey dokey with it. But please, use a real name, with a real spelling.

My kids all have very traditional first names with family middle names. My younger 2 have the middle names Taylor and Oliver, which were my mother's maiden name and my grandmother's maiden name. They also happen to be first names, but that's not why we chose them.

There was a boy on ds's baseball team a few years ago named "Blade". Why would you do that to your kid? It immediately made me think of switchblades and gangs.

I personally like unusual names, having grown up with one, but I really don't care for names that are really out there, and "Blade" falls into that camp for me.

This year there is a kid on the team named "Games" and everyone keeps calling him "James". I wouldn't do that to my kid either.

Blade makes me think of a swordsman, like a swashbuckler or an old English gentlemen, kwim? But then, I'm married to a Kendo swordsman.

I have a Paden. I saw that Aiden, Kaden, Jaden, Brayden and Hayden were hated. Does that mean I pass?

We named our Paden after the Kevin Kline character in "Silverado".

I have a Caden. I picked his name out long before I was married and years before the name was popular. Most people hadn't heard about it until a couple of years before he was born. It isn't my fault all those people used my name.:glare: Yes, I stamped my foot right there.:D

You know that is just a nickname right? His name is Prince Michael Jackson 2nd, kinda weird though he has the same name as his brother though...

I like Madison ( I can't bring myself to use it though since it means son of maud), Jayden, Aiden, Kaden, Hayden, Tristan. I like all the boy names that end in -en. LOL.

Blade makes me think of this movie, which I liked, but still... I have met far too many people who've hated their names because they are always being asked if they were named after a character in a popular book/movie.

Our younger dd is named Mackenzie. I certainly never thought of it as "low class!" We live in an area with a lot of Scottish influence historically. Dh even had a grandfather named McRae. It's one of the reasons we were drawn to the name.

Our older dd has the middle name Kaitlynn. I'm not a big fan of creative spellings, and I don't consider this to be one. Instead, I would say that it is an alternate spelling. In my opinion, if it is a phonically valid spelling, it's not creative, merely an alternate. It was listed, right along with Caitlin, Caitlyn, Kaitlyn, Kaitlin, etc, in the baby name book.

Just my .02 about a couple of the entries!

My son's t-ball team practices with another team who has a boy named Meat-Meat on it. I thought it was a nickname but no that's his actual name.

My dd's named Esperanza (Hope in English), my nieces from three different mothers- my sister, cousin, and bil's kids are Destiny, Addison, and Michaela (alt sp of Mikayla). My other sister only has a son but if has a daughter she likes the name McKenzie. How did we all get so out of touch? :lol::lol::lol:

I am SO e-mailing this link.

My son's t-ball team practices with another team who has a boy named Meat-Meat on it. I thought it was a nickname but no that's his actual name.

A few years ago I subbed in a Ker class who had a Random. It makes you wonder what people were thinking when they picked the name.

A lot of those names drive me crazy because of overuse. I plain don't like Gertrude. Conjures up images of... Well, I'm sure you can imagine. I'm not sure what they mean about names being"low-class". That wuldn't have occurred to me. One thing I hated about names is made up names or strange spellings of common names. It's really saddling a child with a burden for life of always having to put up with their name misspelled or mispronounced and always always always having to spell it out for someone.

so she says she tracked down some negative comments about baby names.....not a big deal at all to me. Name your baby whatever you want to name him/her. My grandmother's name was Agnes.....if I want to name my baby after her, even though it is old fashioned, why does it matter?

A family member nicknamed their "Jr" son Deuce. I get it. I see how it's a clever twist on him being a Jr but I think the kids are going to attack that in school mercilessly in middle school if not before. I have a pretty innocent type mind but the first thing I think of is a women's hygiene product.

I did avoid any of those names but barely. I liked Madison as a girl.

A family member nicknamed their "Jr" son Deuce. I get it. I see how it's a clever twist on him being a Jr but I think the kids are going to attack that in school mercilessly in middle school if not before. I have a pretty innocent type mind but the first thing I think of is a women's hygiene product.

I did avoid any of those names but barely. I liked Madison as a girl.

I can't come up with what you are thinking about? I'll have to google it to figure out.

I knew a "Trey" who was a third.

I had a child named Cowboy when I was student teaching. Yes, it was his legal name. Ugh. I have a friend who has a Lindsay and an Ashley. We also said her next one should have been Tiffany. :D

With all the Madisons and names on the linked lists I find Lindsay, Ashley and Tiffany a bit refreshing. :D

Not one of my dc's names is on that list - yeah! I detest "initial" names (names so common one has to use a last initial to distinguish them from others with the same name). Add "Isabelle/Isabella" to the most-hated girl name list and I think it would be complete simply because of this:

A lot of those names drive me crazy because of overuse.
;)

Whew, neither Indy nor Han Solo's real names are on there. They're not weird or kre8tive, but not incredibly common. I don't think the names on the list are horrible (okay, maybe Nevaeh), I just think they are used so much that people get tired of them. How many Addison's can there be in one kindergarten class? It's annoying I think.

I have an incredibly unusual name (seriously), so really I guess I'm used to being the only person with that name and find it odd when there are several people with the same name. BTW, I've actually met 2 other people IRL with my name (one was a guy) and seen 3 on TV (one was in a very famous movie), but none of them spell it the same way I do (or rather my parents did). Mine seems like it's actually missing a letter, but there's an accent over a letter that makes it (the letter) say a different sound rendering the extra letter unnecessary. Of course in the States getting an accent put on a letter is practically impossible, so it kind of stinks and people always mispronounce it. Boo.

BTW, our last name actually made the list of horrible names and I have to admit, I agree that it is not cool for a first name.

DD5's birth name is on the girl list, and her middle name is a variation of one on the boys list. LOL We do not like either name. When people find out what her name is, and that we don't like it, they often feel open to say how much they dislike it at well. I get a rare person who loves the name, but it is not a common reaction.

We do not use her birth names unless it has something to do with legal papers. We renamed her informally and will eventually do it legally.

Not one of my dc's names is on that list - yeah! I detest "initial" names (names so common one has to use a last initial to distinguish them from others with the same name). Add "Isabelle/Isabella" to the most-hated girl name list and I think it would be complete simply because of this: ;)

LOL when ds was born, his name was not common. After he was born, the name more than doubled in popularity (based on baby name ranking sites). It is a biblical name, so at church it is even more common than in the general population. He has 3 or 4 good friends with the same name. I do not know anyone who is older than he, who has the name....they are all younger or born the same year. He goes by his name plus last initial or gets called just "hair" as a funny nick name, because he has platinum blond long hair. It wasn't a 'TV' name, so I don't know why the sudden explosion occurred, but it definitely did.

We even gave him a very common middle name just in case he didn't like his very unusual name. :lol:

Jackson is one of the middle names we are considering for this baby, but with a fairly unusual family name for a first name there is a good chance he will go by his middle name. Who knows though, because others in the family with the name have gone by completely unrelated names.

Not one of my dc's names is on that list - yeah! I detest "initial" names (names so common one has to use a last initial to distinguish them from others with the same name). Add "Isabelle/Isabella" to the most-hated girl name list and I think it would be complete simply because of this: ;)

I thought "initial names" were going to be names that are initials. We use my son's first initial and J (junior) as a nickname now. We will probably do something similar for this baby also. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who frown on the practice and consider it classless. :tongue_smilie: