Menu

S/O 1 income thread- In your area, would 1 blue collar job support a family modestly?

In your area would one blue collar job support a family of four modestly?  

1. 1. In your area would one blue collar job support a family of four modestly?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't know
    • other

It came up in the other thread, and I'm curious. I assumed jobs in most places in America are similar to where we live. I'd be happy to know if I'm wrong. Where you live would one, full time blue collar job support a family of four at a modest level? It wouldn't here. I know we are all likely to have slightly different ideas of modest, but I doubt it is too drastically different, just answer by your own definition. :)

Edited by ThreeBlessings

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way. The people I know who work blue collar jobs all have spouses who also work AND substantial family help. There are probably some out there who don't have both, but seriously everyone I can think of who would fall under that category has parents who do childcare and helped them to buy a house.

I voted other. I think if you had no debt to begin with then a typical blue collar job could support a family of 4 where I live. However, around here there is a big sense of entitlement and most people do go in to debt and can not live on that one salary.

Modest level... probably not. I wish I could say otherwise, but those whose families have a blue collar, one income situation are really struggling. It takes A LOT of financial discipline to make money go far, so it's not impossible for a family in this "category" to live modestly; it just takes a lot of effort, and I wonder if some don't even try, preferring to do the "Keep up with the Joneses" mentality regardless of their means. Sadly, there's a lot of Keeping up with the Joneses where I live in suburbia. :rolleyes:

Somewhere close to me, sure. There are places in the greater Charlotte, NC area that are inexpensive.

Of course, said people may need to give up things like cable, cell phones, eating out, nicer cars, etc.....which many are not willing to do.

Although all of what I said is dependent on what you consider blue collar income and what you consider modest.

I am thinking of someone making around $30,000 (roughly $15/hour) and the family living in a two bedroom apartment or a $75,000 or less home. It certainly could be done.

I voted no because I don't think so in the vast majority of cases. It's very expensive to live here. Housing is crazy, food prices are crazy. It's just pricey. However, "blue collar" can mean a lot of things, including some contractor jobs that may actually pay well enough to support a family of four around here. Some "blue collar" people own their own businesses and get by just fine. And "white collar" can mean office jobs where people are paid a lot less and really struggling. But in general for the meaning behind the question, no.

There are a number of counties around us that have median household income of under $30,000 ($28,400); home there are often under $100,000 (many in the $75,000 range); and families seem to be doing okay. Not wealthy, but not poverty stricken either.

I know some couples in our area who have one stay home and are managing on about $25,000. Their homes are small, but cozy; their children participate in a number of activities, and they seem pretty happy, even if they don't have a ton of extra money. (one couple does homeschool (plus raises chickens, so they don't buy eggs or chicken; and they have a huge garden too, so she cans fruits and vegetables, and trades some of it with others for things they have).

Yes, we are, but we do live modestly. We stay home more than we go out. We don't have brand new vehicles or clothes. My dh is very good with our $$$ and from the get-go, 18 years ago, we commited to living on one income, whatever that meant. We are a family of 7 in MI. I came from living this way, as did dh, so it hasn't been a huge change for either of us. I think, for people who are used to having lots, it would be hard.

Edited by connib

Where we live, "blue collar" workers in some industries get paid very, very well. Skilled workers/ tradesmen are in high demand and the pay is very good. Also, people who are willing to travel for work (which many, many men do) get paid very well. These people can easily support a family of four on one income, especially if they live outside the city.

But, someone working full-time in retail or another minimum wage type job would struggle.

Nope, no way.

I live in northern California, "wine country". Expensive yes, but a lovely place to live and I've lived here all my life. Anyhow, I digress.

We live very modestly. We have one very old car, so no car payments. We don't do a lot of activities that cost $$... I pay $60 a month for piano lessons for ds, we go to park days, and occasional field trips. Our house payments are good for our area. We eat in, make everything from scratch that we can, buy second hand clothing, etc. Netflix instead of cable, lots of library use... you get the picture.

And we NEED two jobs. DH works full time, blue collar. I work part-time as a secretary. I also grade papers and do website work on the side, maybe 5-10 hours a month.

We make ends meet, but there isn't a lot of extra.

Can someone do it in most areas? Yes. Will they want to do it? That is another question entirely.

It will take sacrifices. It will require effort. Can it be done? Probably. You can get net10 phone service for $30 every two months. That averages to $15 a month. Most libraries have free Internet. With a library card you would also have access to books on loan. We have a zoo and museums plus the library that offer free days or programs throughout the year. Our city was listed as one of the least walking friendly city in the U.S., so here you almost need a vehicle, but you can use the limited public transportation or get an apartment within walking distance to a grocery and library. I realize this varies from place to place, but the op didn't specify region, just asked if it could be done.

Food is another thing that varies greatly, but it can be done healthfully and frugally as well. Muesli or oatmeal or egg omelets for breakfast. All are gluten free and inexpensive. Lunches could be spaghetti, soups, or homemade sandwiches. Dinners can vary from beans and rice to stir fry to tacos. Tacos and most Mexican foods have plenty of nutrition and variety yet are pretty frugal. That is why our crew eats them a couple of times a week.

We do it, but DH has had the same job for 21 years. If he was just starting out, it would be difficult to make it. In fact, he makes more than most white collar professionals in our area. We live in a rural, very farm oriented area, and DH works in the agricultural field. We are completely debt free, don't have a lot of extras, and we always have a little bit of money left over at the end of month.

I voted other.

I know that where we live, it all just depends. Houses here are rarely under $130,000, and even then you don't find much til you hit more of the $150-160 range. Renting is nearly impossible - we lucked out with where we are (connections we were blessed with, thank God!) but the house we lived in before, while we fixed it up a lot and we left it much better than how we moved in, was one of those 'I can't wait to get out of here' places.

DH's job was pretty good for a long while (construction with lots of experience), and we had our own company at one time. At that point, heck yes, we were living pretty well! We were considering looking at building a house until the whole recession thing started... it took a couple of years for us to feel the full effects here (the construction business around here didn't tank for another year or so after we'd decided to wait to build and just move/rent elsewhere). But when it did, boy was I glad we hadn't decided to build. We ended up with the business in the black, so it isn't like we 'lost' it or anything, but the jobs just stopped. DH got a job working maintenance at the retirement community (which is within sight of our house, which was nice, he walks to work every day) and his pay was cut by 1/4. Doesn't seem like much, but it's a pretty big difference.

We have friends who are doing well for a family of four, who are also considered 'blue collar', but many of them have either worked more than one job that has gotten them where they are, or they have just recently moved to one income (wife worked up until just recently when they had their first baby, etc).

We have other friends who, one works blue collar and the other works a 'white collar' job and has a masters, and they both still have to work like crazy to make ends meet. So it all just depends. :)

I am thinking of someone making around $30,000 (roughly $15/hour) and the family living in a two bedroom apartment or a $75,000 or less home. It certainly could be done.

Wow! I know this is your area, but ours is nowhere near that reasonable. Apartments around here are either Section 8 or they run (for a 2 bedroom) starting at $700/mo (for the smaller apartment complex. the larger apartment complex, though, starts at $900/mo) plus utilities and stuff, obviously. But you get free use of their clubhouse. :rolleyes: We have two colleges in/close to town and it drives the rent up. That's the problem with renting houses here, too... the rental companies (very few individual landlords here) all determine their rent based on the number of bedrooms and there being that many different people paying. A 3 bedroom house is easily $1500/mo to rent here. It's crazy.

Sorry, that turned out to be a really long reply. :blush: I'm talkative this evening, I guess. :)

Can someone do it in most areas? Yes. Will they want to do it? That is another question entirely.

It will take sacrifices. It will require effort. Can it be done? Probably.

Honey, you live in Oklahoma. You have NO CLUE how freaking expensive it can be to live on the coasts...

Dh is blue collar, non-unionized and I believe we live very well. We have a nice, but modest home. Paid off vehicles that run well (and dh fixes if they don't) and eat well. Soon we will have the house paid off and be completely debt free. We have everything we need and a lot of wants as well. We shop used, don't have fancy cellphones, cable etc and I pinch those pennies until they scream but we are really, really blessed. Dh has been at his job nearly 18 yrs as well so he as at the top of the pay range for his job and made nearly 3x my last salary with a BSW. We had considered him going back to school but there are few jobs we could even think of where he would be guaranteed to make more in this area. Now, the company is not doing so well and there is a chance the place could close down. Thus we are paying off the house this year and looking even further on what to do to reduce costs so if he ends up starting over or having to go back to school we will need very little income to survive.

Edited by soror

I just looked up the average factory worker's salary in Detroit. It's $51,000/year. So, assuming he's bringing in $3916/month. (I just did a quick google search and it looks like Social Security and Medicare will cost this family about $4000/year.)

I live in a nice suburb, so I'm going to base this on costs in my area.

2 - bedroom duplex (799 - 900 sq ft): $600/month (heat and hot water included)

Electric - $50/month (?)

Water - $35/month

Groceries - $700/month (I'm going high)

Car (I'm going to assume car is paid for and insurance is liability only) - $50/month

TOTAL (necessities): $1435

That leaves $2481/month for:

Clothing (in our area, there are a TON of really nice used clothing stores)

Car maintenance (or car payment if they don't own outright)

Medical

Christmas

Cell phone

Cable

Birthdays

Haircuts

Activities for kids (in our area, there are scholarships for those who cannot afford to participate otherwise)

I know this is the bare bones basics, but I think it could be done.

You could here....I'm also assuming that if you are earning less than $40K a year that you are also getting subsidized state health insurance & that if you have kids under 5 that you're also getting WIC.

You'd be shopping at Aldi & thrift stores, keeping a large garden, driving a 15-20 year old car, using the library for almost everything, and living in tight quarters...but you could get by.

You could here....I'm also assuming that if you are earning less than $40K a year that you are also getting subsidized state health insurance & that if you have kids under 5 that you're also getting WIC.

You'd be shopping at Aldi & thrift stores, keeping a large garden, driving a 15-20 year old car, using the library for almost everything, and living in tight quarters...but you could get by.

You can get state health insurance for the kids or a pregnant wife. Once done with pregnancy a woman can't, unless she is disabled. My husband can't get state health insurance at all. He can't get any kind of help with healthcare because he could technically purchase it through work. With the cost being a quarter of his pay just for him, we can't afford for him to have health insurance. So neither he nor I carry any type of health insurance.

I really don't know - however, I think a lot depends on the people and how willing they are to stick to a budget and do w/o things they don't really need. My ex and I lived on one small, blue collar income in this area (w/o kids though) and were able to buy a starter house - but we were very frugal.

This makes me feel even more blessed. We are not on any government assistance here. We don't need any or qualify. We have health insurance through dh's work, which is high deductible but our premiums are fairly low. Our house is plenty big and we live in a great little area in the country.

I think so. DH used to have a blue collar job and on it, we felt rich! When that company went under he ended up taking a desk job that pays less. I think we still live very well considering. We only have one car and we live in a 2 br apt without AC or a DW. But it's not a basement apt (what we lived in before) and we have a washer and dryer and 2 toilets (a must when living with three boys). We aren't on any assistance. It's not the life I want to lead forever, it's just temporary until my husband starts his own business.

We do it. :001_smile:

Including his overtime, dh makes somewhere between $30,000 and $35,000 a year (he works a LOT of overtime), and we make it by with just his income in a non-unionized, blue-collar job. We live in a two bedroom duplex, have one car that's paid off, and eat pretty well.

We're lucky in that the cost of housing isn't too bad here- our duplex unit is $650 a month, and that includes all of the basic utilities. We don't have cable, we only have one cell phone, and we only eat out once or twice a month. Dd and I get state-subsidized health insurance because we both have a LOT of health problems, otherwise we would receive no assistance. Dh pays for insurance through work.

So it is possible in some areas. I wouldn't want to make it on his income in a bigger city, though.

ETA: Of course, we're only a family of three, but we could stretch to cover one more child, too.

Not unless they inherited their house or otherwise didn't have to pay rent.

This is how my sister gets by (she doesn't live near me). Their in laws gave them their house when they moved, so they've been able to get by on his salary with her as a SAHM. He is in a low paying manual labor profession.

Around here it would depend on what you consider blue collar. Does owning your own company doing landscaping, construction, tree service count? I know people who are doing VERY well with these types of companies right now. Especially tree service since we've been having all kinds of trees coming down with high winds or hurricanes or October blizzards.

As small as NJ is, prices can vary greatly. I had a two bedroom apartment, fairly nice area but long commute to anywhere with jobs, basic utilities included (heat, hot water) for $959/month. Closer to where I live now, which means closer to most jobs too, the same apartment would be closer to $1200/month without utilities.

Someone who was really careful with their money otherwise might be able to get by on $25,000 or even less. Keeping in mind that even a lot of entry level retail jobs pay $9 to $10/hour where I am.

Honey, you live in Oklahoma. You have NO CLUE how freaking expensive it can be to live on the coasts...

Right, but the coasts are not the majority of the country's geographic areas, and there are plenty of places even "on the coasts" that are outside the major cities or otherwise cost less than a Manhattan penthouse suite. You can't tell me that Fresno or Oakland costs as much as San Jose.

And some of the members on here might want to live in some of those places, but stay in places like Oklahoma exactly because it's halfway affordable. Not glamorous but at least we're not homeless. But that doesn't mean we don't understand how expensive life is. Some of those of us who stay at home make enormous sacrifices so that technically we may be evidence that people can get by. That doesn't mean we are recommending it to anyone or don't want a break.

Edited by stripe

Yes, but there are decent houses (1300 sq ft.) in decent neighborhoods for $80,000 here, so it does not take much to afford that. Our first house cost us $77,000 and that area still costs about that much to get into. Needs would be met, but no iPhones, big tvs, computers for every faily member, or new cars, but I would sacrifice that to stay home with my kids. Some people will not, and that is their right.

I can't answer the poll - to do so would require you to define what you mean by "modestly." I don't mean to single out prairiewindmomma, but what she describes seems to be what many of the other posters are winking at. This -

- is what I consider bare bones. Just getting by is considered modestly?

I had more, but deleted it because I don't think it would do any good. The sneers and assumptions made about how people live and what people want is a little breath taking, tbh. It's why I stayed out of the other thread and why I probably should have skipped this one as well.

It's disheartening to say the least.

I don't know. I'm going to guess no but I could be wrong.

Our minimum pay at the plant after 45 working days is $15.30 an hour for grade 1. These are simple jobs, such as boxing meat or making boxes. We have a 36 hour a week minimum since we are union.

So...$15.30 * 36 hour

$550.8 gross each week

Pre tax $28.27 med/vision/dental

$522.53

$104.51 (roughly 20% taxes)

$418.02 * 52 weeks in a year

$21,737.04 a year or $1,811.42 a month (averaging it out)

We pay

$500 rent (3 bdrm/1 bath house in town where work is)

$100 phone/internet (no cable)

$125 electric/sewer/water/garbage (average per month)

$100 gas (average per month)

$986.42 roughly a month left over

Figure in insurance for vehicles or other items...I'm not sure...Can a family of four live off of that amount a month? You can also elect for a $2500 FSA taken out each year...Let's see...

$48.08 a week pre tax for FSA and $28.27 med/vision/dental

That totals $76.35 pre tax

Using the above figures you are left with $474.44 before taxes come out

$94.89 (roughly 20% taxes)

$379.55 * 52 weeks

$19,736.6 a year

$1,644.72 a month

$819.72 roughly left over...That seems tighter but if you need the FSA it might make it worth it...

Right, but the coasts are not the majority of the country's geographic areas, and there are plenty of places even "on the coasts" that are outside the major cities or otherwise cost less than a Manhattan penthouse suite. You can't tell me that Fresno or Oakland costs as much as San Jose.

The majority of the country's geographic areas are not coastal, but the majority of the population live on the coasts... 52% of people in the US live in a county that borders a coast or the Great Lakes.

I can't answer the poll - to do so would require you to define what you mean by "modestly." I don't mean to single out prairiewindmomma, but what she describes seems to be what many of the other posters are winking at. This -

- is what I consider bare bones. Just getting by is considered modestly?

I had more, but deleted it because I don't think it would do any good. The sneers and assumptions made about how people live and what people want is a little breath taking, tbh. It's why I stayed out of the other thread and why I probably should have skipped this one as well.

It's disheartening to say the least.

I'm with you. The attitude I see in many of these threads is very disheartening.

You can't tell me that Fresno or Oakland costs as much as San Jose.

Fresno is cheap by CA standards, but it is pretty far inland and the job market there is terrible. According to the figures that just got released today, it has an unemployment rate of 17.3% vs. 8.7% for the San Francisco-Oakland metro area.

Oakland is only cheap in the unsafe neighborhoods. In the safe parts of the city, the houses sell for $1+ million or rent for $3k+ (there's no way we could afford to live there).

If someone is making $30k with children, they will receive several government benefits that will help toward making their income livable (Earned Income Tax Credit, Food Stamps, WIC, possibly Medicaid for the kids).

Around here a 3 bedroom apartment is $900/month (assuming two children of different sexes). That alone would take $11,000 of their gross income per year - that does not include any money taken out for taxes (b/c even if they don't pay income tax, they do pay SSI, etc...). That doesn't include any utilities, medical care, cars, etc...

The other issue with such a low income is that they likely do NOT have a 'savings margin' to help with emergency issues (saving up for first/last deposit when you move, saving up for a replacement vehicle, paying for unexpected medical expenses or dental expenses, etc...). That equals going into debt when things come up, and low income workers are the least likely to be able to dig out of debt.

I do know people who were 'blue collar' who raised a family on a single income - but they were unionized with several decades of experience to the point that they made over $60,000/year.

I think you want to clarify whether you mean "Skilled Blue Collar" or "Unskilled Worker". An electrician is considered 'blue collar' and can make a very livable wage. A school bus driver who makes $14/hour is not going to be able to support a family very easily.