Menu

If you are ok with guns, what do you think about this?

I have no dog in this fight, I'm just curious after reading the safety thread.

Our church recently put an item on the table for discussion--someone wanted to pass a "policy" (for lack of a better word--"rule" maybe) that no guns are allowed to be carried in the church or on church grounds (except during the annual fair, when we do a target-shooting activity called a Turkey Shoot).

What do you think of that policy?

I really only want folks that would carry a gun themselves or think it's ok to carry concealed--not "always anti-gun" folks, pls.

Not anti-gun, grew up with guns, and I have no problem with it.

And I can add that I signed up for a concealed carry class. It didn't have enough sign up to make a class and we never looked for another.

And I still don't have a problem with the policy. Oklahoma has liberal ( or conservative :)) gun laws and it's common to see signs that firearms are not permitted in a certain building or on school property.

I think concealed carry is fine.

How would this policy be enforced? Pat downs as people walk in? If it's concealed, it's concealed and no one (except the pastor and/or security team) needs to know who is carrying. What is the purpose of the ban?

Really, as sad as it is to say, I think churches do need security these days.

Bad idea, it is the same as putting a sign on your lawn saying "There are no guns in this house."

There are bad, evil people out there and advertizing your inability to defend yourself is not the best path.

If someone has a CCP then carry, I would want them carrying in my church.

I have a problem with it for a lot of reasons.

The main one being that some folks have to carry a weapon at certain times and church may have fallen into that category on occasion. Gonna skip the details but that comes from personal experience where said person would then have had to not attend church.

My dh would probably leave the church over it.

Our church recently put an item on the table for discussion--someone wanted to pass a "policy" (for lack of a better word--"rule" maybe) that no guns are allowed to be carried in the church or on church grounds (except during the annual fair, when we do a target-shooting activity called a Turkey Shoot).

I really only want folks that would carry a gun themselves or think it's ok to carry concealed--not "always anti-gun" folks, pls.

I think that would make the church an easy target for people who want to shoot a bunch of sitting ducks, so to speak. Unless there will be armed security guards available.

Reminds me of this incident 5 years ago in Colorado Springs.

(I am planning to apply for a concealed carry permit this summer.)

I think if someone has gone through all the conceal weapons permit process, they should be able to carry to church if they so desire .... It wouldn't affect me, as i don't carry, but I do know more and a few people who would leave a church over it.

:iagree:

I have taken a concealed carry course but I do not carry now.

I understand bans on weapons in places like schools and hospitals and such, but it bothers me when other entities that are not protected as "gun free zones" under the law want to restrict the legal right of those who have lawfully obtained a concealed carry permit. Those who are carrying illegally or with ill- intent are not going to pay attention to the sign anyway so it really only infringes on those who are following the law.

Interesting. After the church shootings a couple of years back, my church went the opposite way and sought out people in the congregation who had law enforcement and military backgrounds (hence, lots of training) to provide "security" in the case of a similar attack. As a result of that, I'm quite sure there are several people in my congregation who have concealed carry permits and carry at church. I don't have a problem with that.

As for if the church should prohibit guns, I would be curious to know why the people suggesting it feel it's necessary. Are they anti-gun? Are they concerned someone will leave their guns accessible to minors? Has someone in the community used a gun to stop a crime and accidentally harmed a bystander? Has some unstable or careless person in the congregation recently gotten a concealed carry permit? Regardless, it sounds to me like fear dictating a policy that infringes on personal rights. They can pass any policy they want, but it won't stop someone with bad intent from carrying a gun into the church.

I agree with what others have said. What's the purpose of this regulation, and how would they enforce it? If your church has armed security guards, it would make more sense.

DH's family knew the parents of one of the girls who died in the CO Spgs church. A volunteer security guard shot the gunman. I think of that every time I wonder whether our greeter/security guards are armed.

There was a pastor who was shot at the pulpit in recent years, too, plus a church member in our city who was shot in his church (but he was singled out as the victim for other reasons). I think churches need to have security plans.

I think concealed carry is fine.

How would this policy be enforced? Pat downs as people walk in? If it's concealed, it's concealed and no one (except the pastor and/or security team) needs to know who is carrying. What is the purpose of the ban?

Really, as sad as it is to say, I think churches do need security these days.

:iagree: I don't even think the pastor or security people need to know. If I'm carrying (legally) concealed weapon, no one knows.

I would wonder why the church would want to implement this policy. Are the members "anti CC"? Have they had problems with overly zealous gun totin' folks? Is the church in a high crime area or a low crime area (meaning that it might not be necessary to be "protected")?

I have no problem with CC (I don't have it, but I know many who do). But I also think that if the church wants to implement a No CC policy they certainly have a right to do so. Maybe they want to be sure that they aren't considered "gauche" ;)

Eh, I think that if a person has a concealed permit they should be allowed to carry there. I see zero safety issues with them having a gun there, and given the wacky church shootings you hear about it might actually be helpful one day.

Why do they want to ban them? I guess that is my question?

I think that would make the church an easy target for people who want to shoot a bunch of sitting ducks, so to speak. Unless there will be armed security guards available.

Sitting ducks who possibly/probably collected a large amount of cash into a handy dandy offering.

I've had relatives accosted by a gunman at church in a mid-size, tranquil town. Very scary.

I understand bans on weapons in places like schools and hospitals and such, but it bothers me when other entities that are not protected as "gun free zones" under the law want to restrict the legal right of those who have lawfully obtained a concealed carry permit. Those who are carrying illegally or with ill- intent are not going to pay attention to the sign anyway so it really only infringes on those who are following the law.

:iagree: It will only deter the law abiding citizen, not the criminal.

Are there professions with law enforcement that require them to be armed at all times? I don't know, it seems like I heard that once, but you know how that is.

:iagree: I don't even think the pastor or security people need to know. If I'm carrying (legally) concealed weapon, no one knows.

That's true, that I'm only thinking that it would be nice (maybe a courtesy) for the pastor and/or security team to know who carries in case something happened and protection was needed. I don't think anyone needs to know, and I'm fine with no one knowing.

I guess I'm glad I don't go to church. Sounds like a scary place.

Sometimes it is. Unfortunately, in the world in which we live, a church needs to be realistic. There are bad people in the world. Our church is a downtown parish. We get a LOT of interesting visitors every week. Some are mentally ill. Some are homeless. Some are dangerous. We treat them all the same when they walk through the door - as if they are Jesus himself. But, we have to be careful. And, I certainly feel safer knowing that a number of our ushers carry.

Bad idea, it is the same as putting a sign on your lawn saying "There are no guns in this house."

There are bad, evil people out there and advertizing your inability to defend yourself is not the best path.

:iagree: Personally, I think if you've gone to the trouble and expense to get a CCL, you should be able to carry anywhere. Crime can happen at any time, any place and how is it ok to tell someone they can defend themselves and their loved ones only in certain places? Do you think the bad guys care about where they're supposed to carry a gun and where they're not? I don't.

I have taken a concealed carry course but I do not carry now.

:iagree: It would be a misguided policy at best.

I think this is a matter for each church/synagogue/temple/etc to decide. There are reasons both directions and it may depend upon time, circumstances, regions, belief, etc.

I was on the grapevine list for phone calls when the Nickel Mines hostage situation was happening and when the shootings happened. The Amish still won't do it differently :) On the other hand, you have other cultures where everyone is welcome to carry their handgun, rifle, clamore, dagger, etc to church.

Edited by mommaduck

:iagree::iagree:

I'm not in the situation where I would carry, but if I lived in certain areas, I probably would, the laws out here don't permit it.

1. How would the policy be enforced?

2. As OP said, a known rule makes the church a sitting duck, which is quite scary, people could target that particular church knowing of their rules

3. I think, should the rule go ahead, they should have 1 or 2 people who are allowed to carry (responsible citizens, police officers, respected people etc) as this allows some sort of security

4. If not, then something of a security team should be posted. These people could be outside the church and check people, BUT this will make it seem like a personal violation

Honestly I reckon the best policy would be number 3. This allows the church some sort of safety net, means you won't have to check the individuals coming in the door (thus no invasion of privacy) church can make their stance known, but still be protected for certain events.

I also think that people who feel they need to have some sort of weapon on them (mace, knife, gun whatever) should be able to see the head of the church on a case by case basis, and possibly permitted to be allowed to carry such items (for one example a alone mother with children possibly carries some protection round all the time, and this should be taken into consideration.

I don't understand the point of it. I realize there have been a few rare cases of shootings in church, but those were crazy people who were not going to abide by a rule like this anyway. And how would they go about enforcing it? Frisk parishioners upon entering church? And what will be done to those who break the rules? Excommunication? I just think it's creating unnecessary tension without solving any actual problems.

ETA - also, what do you do about people who do carry and would have to do something about the gun that is on them? Would they have to leave their gun in their car or somewhere? Doesn't that open up a whole other can of worms? Isn't the gun safest in the possession of the responsible gun owner?

Edited by SKL

:iagree: Unfortunately, it's illegal in Louisiana. I have heard that church employees may carry with permission, and that one church near us pays parishioners who have carry permits $1/year so they can carry.

Sitting ducks who possibly/probably collected a large amount of cash into a handy dandy offering.

I've had relatives accosted by a gunman at church in a mid-size, tranquil town. Very scary.

But if someone comes in and tries to steal the offering, do you really think someone is going to pull out a gun and shoot them?

The church shootings were never about stealing the offerings. So the previous comment about gun battles about the offering never happened and are very unlikely to happen in the future.

All the church shootings were done with people who were either anti a specific church or anti church in general. I think one or two were specifically targeting a preacher or another official.

I think the policy is a bad idea. I don't see any way to enforce it and it just makes your congregation more likely to be targeted.

:iagree: It will only deter the law abiding citizen, not the criminal.

It is sad when they pass these rules or even some gun laws because it is not like a criminal is going to say "Oops I can't go in there and shoot somebody because guns are not allowed in there". :001_huh:

But if someone comes in and tries to steal the offering, do you really think someone is going to pull out a gun and shoot them?

No.....but if some individual/s start to shoot people then yes. Do you really think that in such a case it would be better NOT to have someone in the church who might defend himself and others?

Remember when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

I realize there have been a few rare cases of shootings in church, but those were crazy people who were not going to abide by a rule like this anyway.

In the three cases I mentioned, the gunmen did not attend the church [ETA - and they were there with strong anti-religious motives]. Unless the church was checking people at the door (a very bad idea, IMO!), the church policy wouldn't have prevented anything.

Edited by mudboots

funny funny,

freedom of speech, religion and right to bear arms, in America #1 and #2 but you can't mix them?

sorry this just made me giggle.

back to the post

Well, that only applies to the government, so a church has the right to implement a ban on any or all of the above really.

To the OP, I'd be curious as to why the church leaders want this rule. That would influence my opinion. I actually am anti-gun, but understand that the laws are not in line with my beliefs. Therefore, if the law allows people to carry concealed weapons, they should be allowed to carry them.

Church seems an odd place to *WANT* to carry one's weapon IMHO, unless it was a case of somebody attending services on his/her way to or from work where a weapon is standard issue (police, military, other security, etc.) :001_huh:

I don't have a problem either way (my $0.02 is that it's up to the pastor/elders/etc. to decide), it just seems strange IMHO for the issue to even come up in the first place.

Church seems an odd place to *WANT* to carry one's weapon IMHO, unless it was a case of somebody attending services on his/her way to or from work where a weapon is standard issue (police, military, other security, etc.) :001_huh:

I don't have a problem either way (my $0.02 is that it's up to the pastor/elders/etc. to decide), it just seems strange IMHO for the issue to even come up in the first place.

Some people carry their weapon as a matter of course. So it wouldn't be a matter of wanting to carry it specifically there.

Whether you understand why someone would want or need to carry a concealed weapon at all times is a separate issue. The real question is why this legal practice should be excluded specifically at this church.

There is precedent for not allowing weapons in Christian places of worship. I suppose I would need to know why they proposed the rule to make a specific comment. But if a person is going to get his head blown off - an unlikely thing at any time - church might not be the worst place to have it happen.

Interesting. After the church shootings a couple of years back, my church went the opposite way and sought out people in the congregation who had law enforcement and military backgrounds (hence, lots of training) to provide "security" in the case of a similar attack. As a result of that, I'm quite sure there are several people in my congregation who have concealed carry permits and carry at church. I don't have a problem with that.

I wouldn't have a problem with this.

My problem is that many states don't do much training for cc these days. There are a lot of people with ccp who don't really have enough experience with guns. That does make me uncomfortable, even though I'm perfectly comfortable with people having guns in general. It leads to too many situations like this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/18/pastors-daughter-accident_n_1286605.html

There have been too many people shot *exactly* this way because people who are not gun-savvy are carrying guns. If you don't know anything about semi-automatic weapons, then you don't know that it loads a round automatically when you put in the magazine. If you know about guns, then you would know that you should clear the chamber, which would have popped out the round.

eta: And any establishment has the right to makes its own rules. Any rules they make do not infringe upon your *rights*.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I think that your church would be a good spot for someone who wants to come shoot the congregation.

The person I'm thinking of packs almost 100% of the time, he's a person who preaches at many churches. He wouldn't even think of asking if it was ok. And, he's a good shot, so people at your church might be glad that the shooter would get killed, and your children may be saved... that day.

(Not meant in a mean/snarky way)

I really have an issue with guns around children or "mad men" otherwise I'm fine with them. Accidents happen, which is why it's hard to see them around kids.... but guns in good hands are... good.

And if you're carrying a concealed weapon, (not legally), no one knows either.... Either way, as long as it stays concealed... no problem. When someone with bad intent has a gun... legal or not... that's where there's a problem :)