Menu

What temp. do you keep your house?

What temp. do you keep your thermostat?  

1. 1. What temp. do you keep your thermostat?

• less than 64 degrees....we could hang meat in here
    • 65-67 degrees
    • 68-70 degrees
    • 71-73 degrees
    • 74-76 degrees
    • 77+ .....just sweatin' out the impurities
    • we have separate daytime/nighttime temps.
    • we try to conserve energy & are cool in winter, warm in summer

I've never made a poll before, but I'm going to try. Please do not throw sticks and stones if I fail and the poll never actually appears.

Dh and I are having a thermostat war. We seem completely unable to find the perfect temperature this winter. So on what temp. is your thermostat set?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main living area is about 58 right now. We set the thermostat (upstairs) for 67 but it is usually about 10 degrees colder downstairs. Thermals and sweats are our normal at-home attire in the winter!

Edited to add that we have friends who won't come to visit during the winter because they find our house too cold.

Pegasus

Edited to add that we have friends who won't come to visit during the winter because they find our house too cold.

Pegasus

I have a friend who keeps her house in the 50s and the one time I was there in the winter my teeth were literally chattering. She asked if I was cold. :001_huh: I won't go over her house in the winter anymore either. :lol:

I keep my house between 70 - 72. I grew up in a house that was freezing cold all the time and I refused to ever live that way again. :)

68, and it goes down to 62 at night between 10 pm and 6:30 am.

I've learned to wear sweaters, socks and slippers.

Funny justamouse.... we keep ours at 67 during the day and 61 at night, just one degree difference! :001_smile: We don't really get cold much at those temps. At night, because we're covered up, during the day...well, if we feel chilly, we can easily put on socks and jacket, which isn't hard and is quite comfy. Any warmer, and we get TOO warm. We save money not having it higher, but we have it there because that's where we're all most comfortable.

ETA:Oops, I answered before reading completely through the choices :blushing:. I answered 65-67, but I should've answered we have separate day and night temps.

Edited by Brindee

I know I've answered a poll like this in the past, but I will state again with pride that I refuse to live like Nanuk of the North INSIDE my own home.

I keep things at 71-72° here in the winter and about 74° in the summer. I don't mind having to wear socks from time to time, but refuse to have to wear 3 layers of clothes and double socks which is what would happen if we kept it at 65-70°.

I don't need to run around in shorts during the winter because I keep it so warm, but I want to at least be comfortable in my lounge pants and t-shirt.

70-73. When dh is home it's 73. When he is not, it's 71. I dislike being cold or hot, but he likes it slightly warmer.

In the summer we set it about the same. I sweated many long nights as a child and froze in the winter. I swore I would never subject myself or my child to that as an adult. Ds's room is the attic so it's warm all the time. He wears shorts even when it's cold outside.

I set the thermostat to 67 at night, I'm thinking of taking it down a notch. In the daytime we run the wood stove, not the heater, if needed. It stays about 74 in the room wtih the stove and 68-70 in the rest of the house. I love being cozy in the winter. Luckily it doesn't take much. If we lived further north, I would live colder.

The main living area is about 58 right now. We set the thermostat (upstairs) for 67 but it is usually about 10 degrees colder downstairs. Thermals and sweats are our normal at-home attire in the winter!

Pegasus

I wouldn't visit either. My thermostat is set to 69 during the day and 65 at night. The other day I was wearing Cuddleduds, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, jeans, and thick socks and I was still cold. I don't usually wear that much, but I'm almost always cold.

I have a friend who keeps her house in the 50s and the one time I was there in the winter my teeth were literally chattering. She asked if I was cold. :001_huh: I won't go over her house in the winter anymore either. :lol:

I keep my house between 70 - 72. I grew up in a house that was freezing cold all the time and I refused to ever live that way again. :)

This is why I keep mine hot. Last winter just about did me in. It was -40C outside almost all winter and our furnace was broken, we were so cold that we wore winter coats, mitts and scarves in the house. Never again. I will always be warm for now on.

I've never made a poll before, but I'm going to try. Please do not throw sticks and stones if I fail and the poll never actually appears.

Dh and I are having a thermostat war. We seem completely unable to find the perfect temperature this winter. So on what temp. is your thermostat set?

The poll only allowed for one answer, so I chose that we keep it at different day and night temps.

Daytime: 67

Nighttime: 62

The perfect daytime temp, imo, is about 70. However, I don't want to spend $$$ when I can wear warmer clothes. I do like it cool at night though.

I'm using Celcius, so you can check my conversions if they seem way out, but we keep the house at a bearable temperature in line with the environment. In summer we run the aircon at 26C (78.8F) but we only switch it on went the inside temperature reaches 29C(84.2F). There are plenty of days where we just sweat it out for a few hours before it cools towards evening.

I forget my winter rule, as it's been summer for a while now, but I think we warm to 20C(68F) but only when it drops to about 16C(60.8F) inside. It doesn't get really cold where we are, so we don't heat regularly at all. The kids know to wear socks and two sweaters before asking me to turn on the heat!

Because our oil bill is so expensive, we keep our first floor (where we homeschool) at 64 and then it goes down to 60 overnight. The 2nd floor (where we sleep) is always set at 62. I hate it. I would be comfortable somewhere in the low to mid 70's. Thankfully this year we bought a space heater for the upstairs bathroom for showers and dressing and boy does that help!

I voted 71 to 73. I am posting this to say this:

We have an outdoor boiler so our heat is free with labor (hubby and two boys along with a few older male helpers cutting wood)

So we really can have it as high as we want but most of us are comfy in this temp. The only one that is not is ME. I would love it if it was 90 degrees in this house in the winter. I would love it if we could not run the AC until house temp is in the 85 degree range. We do pay for our cooling through summer. 75 is what we keep for summer months. It is way too cold for me.

Holly

My husband is constantly cold so we actually have it warmer at night than during the day. We have a programmable thermostat, but no AC so when DH leaves it sets itself for 65F but it doesn't actually get that cold until about noon. Then it warms back up to 70 for DH where it stays all night. I sleep without any blankets nekkid. Older DS is leaning this route too, he sleeps in just his undies. Toddler DS sleeps in shorts and a tshirt. Neither keep their blankets on. DH wears pjs and has two blankets. :lol:

In summer it's just what it is. I turn the furnace off. I break out the fans when it gets to be 28C or so outside (82F). And am miserable if it's warmer than about 30 (86F). DH doesn't even wear shorts until it hits 30 :confused:

I chose "separate day/night temps" but then realized that I should have selected the a temp range since there is one that covers both our night and day temps--65-67. This is cooler than we have done in previous winters, by about 2 degrees in the daytime. I also used to turn up the heat for a while when I got cold during the day. I don't do that nearly as much anymore. Now I grab a blanket to put over my legs when I'm cold. If I'm up and moving around I don't usually get cold.

68 in the winter... but thermostat is upstairs and we have a huge great room that is 2 stories. When you're at the 3rd step from the bottom, you can FEEL the temperature change... so upstairs is 68 but downstairs is probably closer to 65. I wear long underwear and a couple pairs of socks and sweaters. Oh well.

In the summer, looks like I win so far... 82 ;)

I'm generally comfy. Stay under ceiling fans and no need for long underwear unless you go to a movie theater (I swear they set their thermostat in the 60s in the summer!)

Right now it is set at 64/65 daytime and 62 at night. I wear pants, tee-shirt and a sweater and stay comfortable usually- when the sun is out it is great if it is cloudy though it can be chilly- the sun shining through makes a huge difference. Summer time I usually keep it around 85 during the day and 82 at night. We try not to turn on the unit until it is above 82 at bedtime. We had company the other day and dh turned the unit up to 67 to try to make it more normal :)

between 23-25C

After going without heat for most of last winter I have decided to never be cold again, I keep my home quite warm.

ETA: that would be 73-77F

I can totally relate. I lived in a house for 19yrs with only forced air heat pump. This means it blows cold air :confused: Anyway, we're now in a house with gas heat (it's SO nice to have warm air blowing out the registers). However, we have a cathedral ceiling so a lot of hot air get's stuck way up high. I keep the house between 71-73, but sometimes as high as 74. I hate being cold. I still wear many layers and socks. I have low thyroid issues so I'm always cold. I take a hot hot bath most nights to get my core temp up so I can sleep.

For winter, 62 at night and 65 during the day. Everyone wears pants, long sleeve shirts, and fleece/sweaters plus socks and slippers in the house. I'm allergic to the cold so I keep myself bundled up and under blankets. The kids get really excited when I pull out the fuzzy blankets when the weather turns cooler. During the summer, the daytime temp is 85 going down to 72 at night. My dh likes to sleep under a down comforter year round which requires we keep the house cold at night during the warmer weather.

I think our thermostat is on 50 (because that is as low as it goes) but it never kicks on, thanks to the pellet stove.

The upstairs thermostat is at 68 and it kicks on from time to time.

We have a little baby who's usually in a grownup bed, so piling on the comforters isn't an option.

We've still got half a tank of oil left from our autumn delivery, though! The weather this season has been great on our budget, although it is freaky to have a snowless winter.

I'm with Pegasus and Parrothead - we keep ours at 58 and it's 30 outside right now. We also have a wood-burning insert, but we don't have it lit all the time. If we're cold, we bundle up. I tell people to wear a sweater and I have lots of blankets if they want them. Our house is older and not terribly efficient, so we would be poor if we turned the forced-air furnace up all the time. You girls must be sweltering! ;)