Menu

Please help me help myself!

I need to lose weight. I need to get in better shape. And while I know that I really, really need to...I just don't want to IYKWIM. I weigh more right now than I ever have other than when pregnant (and I am 2 pounds away from where I was when I gave birth to ds), my skin looks icky and my hair is just blah. I know that my unhealthy lifestyle is causing me problems and I really want to change. I WANT to want to do this. I just can't seem to make it happen.

I am totally addicted to carbs. I keep thinking that a low carb diet would be wonderful, but I just can't imagine how in the world I would make it through the first couple of weeks. I enjoy eating for the sake of eating...you know, I am a muncher and a grazer. There is nothing better than noshing on food while perusing my favorite websites or reading a book. It is my treat to me when the kids are finally in bed!

I would love to be a person who eats to live rather than one who lives to eat...but it is just so darn fun. I know that I need to start taking steps in the right direction...but I'm just not sure where to start. Suggestions???

I am in the absolutely same boat that you are. I have so many ideas, but implementing is so hard!!!

Have you looked into SparkPeople? Basically an online social community for people trying to get healthy.

Weight Watchers is fairly affordable.

I've hard South Beach Diet is difficult, but healthy and definitely do-able.

Are you working out? I'm hoping to join a gym once my tax refund is here!

It's so hard to eat right and stay in shape, but I'm trying to tell myself that it is for my future self, my kids and my family that I should do it.

Do you have any friends that you could work out with? Or try a diet with?

Maybe buy some veggies and cut them up (or buy pre-cut ones) and restrict your grazing to just those. I am more likely to grab the veggies for a snack if it's easy.

I know what you mean, though. I get tired at night and find myself looking for a snack in the evenings. Having veggies cut up and handy keeps me from raiding the cookie jar.

:grouphug:

I felt the same way. Tracking my calories in http://www.myfitnesspal.com has helped tremendously! Seeing exactly how much I am putting into my body helps keep me accountable. It's still hard, but I seem to have found willpower I didn't have before.

I figure it's like using cash vs using a credit/debit card. It's easy to spend, spend, spend when you don't see the immediate results, but as soon as you have cash in your hand and can see the effects of your spending immediately, it gets easier to say "no".

I'm trying to add in Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred now. Oy. Now THAT is hard.

Thanks everyone. I agree that cutting up veggies would help. So would tracking my eating and working out. My problem is that while I want to change and become healthier, I just don't want to do the work to get there. I know...I'm pathetic, right?

I keep thinking about the carb thing and I wonder if cutting them out may help me. But I just don't know if I have the will power. For anyone who has been carb addicted in the past and made a significant change, can you tell me how it worked for you and what exactly you did?

I'm hearin' you because I struggle with the same issues. All I can say is that my physician gave me some really good advice awhile back that I will never forget. He said to be careful about choosing weight loss plans because whatever means you choose to lose the weight is what you will have to do for the rest of your life in order to keep it off. In other words, if you go low carb, you have to stay low carb FOREVER. And to be honest, if you lose the weight on a low carb eating plan then eventually go back to eating higher carbs again, you will gain the weight back - WITH INTEREST. I can attest to this because it happened to me twice and it's true. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not opposed to any of the weight loss plans, I just know that it requires a mindset of changing your whole lifestyle in order to get fit, trim and healthy and stay that way. I believe that is why I struggle so much. I haven't been able to pull up the inner strength yet to make such a drastic, permanent change. I'm not out of hope, just haven't gotten there yet.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I was on weight watchers awhile and found the tracking of every morsel very tedious. Atkins has you track, also, but you track only your carb intake, which is much easier (for me). I, too, am struggling with a carb addiction, and it seems like the only way to break it is to go cold turkey! Good luck, and think of me, also!

Get moving! Add 30 minutes 5 days a week, do not skip one! That will help immensely with the hormones you need to kick into the brain to eat right! You are not 'using' your body, so you are in sleep mode, turn that body on! Let it talk to you once you do...then start working on one food at a time..

1. Eat two raw veggies a day or a week

2. Eat only whole grains the next while keeping the raw veggies

3. Make your meats be lean

You can do it!

I would say I'm probably addicted to sugar, which can be similar to being addicted to carbs.

I have fought this a few times over, and the best first step for me was just to track what I eat... not to even try to restrict it yet, but just to know exactly what I eat in a day, and I may even total up the calories and fat. Next step is to know the nutrition (calories, fat, etc. I loved MyFitnessPal also) of each item, and then you may be ready to start cutting things out.

You'd be surprised how much we cut out if we know we are just going to write it down! No one wants to write down "20 mini Hershey bars", hehehe.

Don't try to do anything complicated. It isn't. Exercise every day, eat less, and eat "real" food. Cut out white sugar, white flour, trans fats, and packaged foods.

Just remember - calories in/calories out. The more you eat, the more you need to exercise.

Also - portion control. I have a hard time with this one if dinner looks good :)

From your post I would say Weight Watchers would be the most helpful. I think the group meetings would be helpful in motivating you and encouraging you.

My mom has done WW on and off for years. She is similar to you in that she enjoys food and finds it hard to change. Going to the meetings has helped her stay on track and want to keep up with making the changes needed.

It isn't easy. If it was easy then there wouldn't be a million weight loss plans and diets.

Don't despair. Remember that you are worth making the changes. Take each day at a time and decide that you are going to be in control of your life. Not just food, it isn't all about food. Food is not evil or the enemy. It's a matter of learning to eat better and a little less, not getting rid of food you enjoy.

:grouphug: I hope you find your internal motivation to help you get started. Remember too, that it isn't all about weight. I think it's bad to focus on just weight. It's about your health. You deserve to be healthy and strong.

Get moving! Add 30 minutes 5 days a week, do not skip one! That will help immensely with the hormones you need to kick into the brain to eat right! You are not 'using' your body, so you are in sleep mode, turn that body on! Let it talk to you once you do...then start working on one food at a time..

1. Eat two raw veggies a day or a week

2. Eat only whole grains the next while keeping the raw veggies

3. Make your meats be lean

You can do it!

I think this is great advice! It is so much better to put everything back in order when you feel like you are already doing something about it. It is hard to feel good about all of your food choices all the time, because you are facing decisions about those every mealtime, each time you walk in the kitchen, each time someone mentions food. It's a constant need to make good choices. It can be tough.

When you start moving, you have to make the choice once each day. (Or twice when that fits your schedule better.) Okay, I started moving. I made the choice. Woohoo, I did something good for myself. It can be walking up and down the stairs or doing bodyweight exercises (pushups are tough!) or walking around outside for half an hour. But once you go and do it, you made that good choice. You have something to point to and feel good about. :D

I recently borrowed the South Beach Diet book from the library, oh my goodness the book is amazing. There are three phases and all are pretty simple to follow, I followed them all and am on the last phase of maintaining my weight for the long run. I'd highly suggest borrowing the book and following the suggestions others have made as well.

Exercise is also key to losing weight, I exercise for an hour a day six days a week, and have made a point of not becoming lazy.

Blessings:)

I am the kind of person who needs to make changes gradually. If I try to do too much at one time, I get overwhelmed and quit altogether.

I joined Weight Watchers, for the 3rd time I might add. Oh, the program works. But it's important to learn those lifestyle habits and then not let them go. I gained the weight back the first couple of times because I got lax and the weight creeped back on so gradually until I realized I had gained it all back again! I've made the decision that I will keep these healthy habits as a rule of life this time. I'm at the age where I need to become vigilant for medical issues. Because of my family history, weight, and years of smoking (and I've been smoke free for 11 years now), I'm at greater risk for things like diabetes (both my mom and her sister have diabetes), and cardiovascular disease. Hearing about them is one thing, but seeing them in black and white on my medical reports was SCARY!

I'm a carboholic too. I would take bread and/or potatoes of any kind over a candy bar any day. That's why I like Weight Watchers. I've learned that I can still have any of the foods I like, I just have to watch my portion sizes. And because my overall food intake for the day is reduced from the ridiculous amount where it was to what WW suggests for my weight loss, I've learned to make smarter choices to stretch my food farther. I use a different type of spaghetti noodles now that have more fiber. I found a better fiber bread and limit myself to 2 slices a day instead of my usual 4 to 6. The first couple of weeks was the hardest. My bad habits were very well grounded. :)

Exercise is the next big thing I must tackle. I've put it off for so long because it is the one change that I dread the most. I absolutely hate exercise of any kind. I have ALWAYS hated exercise. I'm the girl who was in high school and told my female P.E. teacher that girls are not supposed to be so active and most certainly should not sweat or they look and smell like men. She didn't seem to like me much... wonder why? :tongue_smilie: Anyway, I have a treadmill and I've learned that I can do 10 minutes of walking at a time at least 3 times a day and it's the same benefit as 30 minutes of continuous exercise at my level. But I must confess that even getting in those 10 minutes is a pain. I think I'll try to write up an exercise plan for this week. Maybe if I write it down on my calendar, I'll have a more difficult time ignoring it.

Anyway, you can do it. It's not easy but if you make small changes at a time, it might be a bit more doable.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I was going to quote the ones that were most meaningful to me, but there were just too many. I have actually lost weight in the past by using SparkPeople and doing Couch to 5K. But...life got in the way and I gained it all back (with interest, as someone said!). I know it works...but I actually have to DO it to make it work.

I think my biggest problem is that I tend to be an all or nothing type of person. What I mean is...if I come up with an eating plan, I go full-force at the beginning. I have to do everything perfect, but if I mess up, I tend to just give up. I kept track of my eating on SparkPeople, but if I had a day of not-so-great-eating, I wouldn't write it down. If I had a bad lunch, I would just think "What the heck!" and have a bad dinner as well.

I think that the PP who suggested writing down what I am eating NOW rather than waiting to write it down when I have a "perfect" diet. Perhaps seeing what my current food intake looks like on paper would give me some motivation to make changes.

My desire is to make life-long changes...not just "go on a diet". I have been there, done that with dieting and obviously, it doesn't work.

So, I think I will spend some time writing down what I am eating now and then make some smaller changes - eating more veggies, smaller portions, etc.

Thanks to all of you for talking through this with me. If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!

ETA: I forgot to address the exercising thing. Right now, my dh is working out of town through the week and I can't really do the gym-thing. My only option right now is exercise videos, which I HATE. So I need to work on this, because while I believe that weight loss is more what you eat than exercise, I do know that in the past exercise has helped me to feel so much better and has helped me to eat right.

My solution is a little extreme.

I've lost 6lbs so far this month by using the Lose It app on my iPhone. I already feel so much better.

I decided how much I wanted to lose a week, then figured out what calorie deficit I would need to achieve that.

I am staying within that calorie range by eating low carb and high fat. The choice of foods keeps me completely satisfied so I am not hungry at all, even with a small amount of food.

I've added in 2-3 hours of walking a day. That is also part of why I can eat enough to not be hungry, and still consistently lose significant weight each week.

I agree with the others that picking one thing and starting slowly is best, but I'm not that kind of person, so I'm tracking calories in, calories burned and carb counts.

It is time consuming, but it sure feels good to see my body shrinking and getting strong at the same time.

ETA: I forgot to address the exercising thing. Right now, my dh is working out of town through the week and I can't really do the gym-thing. My only option right now is exercise videos, which I HATE. So I need to work on this, because while I believe that weight loss is more what you eat than exercise, I do know that in the past exercise has helped me to feel so much better and has helped me to eat right.

I feel you on the exercise videos. I can't stand them either. Have you ever heard of CrossFit? It's really cool and can be pretty intense. You can also find all kinds of scaled down workouts and workouts that you can do without equipment. I like crossfitmom.com which offers workouts for all stages of pregnancy and post-pregnancy. It's also a good gentle introduction when you aren't pregnant.

I also remember a recent thread with tons of options for exercising at home without any equipment. I'm not finding it when I search. Does anyone else remember that?

My husband travels for work too. I know how difficult that makes carving out even a little time for yourself.

When all of my children were small, I bought a very cheap non motorized treadmill, and used that every morning while they were doing independent schoolwork.

When my youngest was a baby, I left the big kids at home, and walked carrying her in the sling.......not ideal.

Now I have a double stroller, so I can walk and my youngest two can go with us.

It is free to walk and can be quite effective.

I have a friend who raves about the "4-hour Body" book, which also includes the 4-hour diet, and a website:

http://www.fourhourbody.com/

It talks about the paleo diet, which is pretty much meat, eggs, and veggies. (So, low carb and low sugar.) But, two major things in it are that you can eat until you're FULL (so you aren't constantly left with a hungry feeling), and it also includes one day/week where you can splurge. (And it explains how the splurge day is good for your system; something about your metabolism spiking during the splurge day, which apparently is good.) It also covers an exercise plan, with an emphasis on keeping it simple and that more (exercise) is not always better. Anyway, maybe something to look into...

My husband travels for work too. I know how difficult that makes carving out even a little time for yourself.

When all of my children were small, I bought a very cheap non motorized treadmill, and used that every morning while they were doing independent schoolwork.

When my youngest was a baby, I left the big kids at home, and walked carrying her in the sling.......not ideal.

Now I have a double stroller, so I can walk and my youngest two can go with us.

It is free to walk and can be quite effective.

Agreed, this is what my mom is going to do after she has her baby, walking is one of my favorite exercises, and when you have little brothers and sister to push, it brings the weight off even faster.

One thing that really helped my was to buy a pedometer and try for 10,000 steps per day. I am numbers person and it really helped my to get up and move. I started parking far away from the store, walking up and down stairs and taking my children on longer nature walks just to make my goal.

I also wanted to add that I attend Weight Watcher meetings and quite a few people rave about the WW app on their iPhones. If you have an iPhone you might want to check that out. I think it has a trakcing feature, WW points calculator for eating out, and even a feature where you can scan the bar codes of food as you grocery shop to get WW points. Something like that.

Start with setting an exercise goal. I know for myself, when I exercise regularly, I feel so much better and have more energy to do those things I don't want to do (like eating better). Endorphins are wonderful!

I agree. :) And, start changing your diet by adding healthy quality foods first. We gradually changed our family diet. I found that after we'd gotten in the habit of enjoying lots of fresh veggies at meals, I didn't crave pasta and bread as much. I'd rather eat fresh roasted broccoli than pasta now. And when I eat better, I also feel better, which makes me want to eat better, and so on.

Cat

I bought this last week for my kindle and started the four week diet/exercise plan on Monday. I'm sure I've lost weight, but I'm not weighing myself :p Most of the exercises can be done at home with dumbbells and they have tons and tons to choose from. The diet is low carb, high protein/fats. I've only modified in that I chose more fruit and less protein/fat. I just can't eat so many eggs in one day ;)

For motivation, this week I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," "Forks versus Knives" and "The History of the Chicken" on Netflix. The first one is VERY VERY VERY motivational. The two guys are not preachy at all. They are so sweet and sincere and when you get to the end... well, I won't ruin it, suffice it to say, even my kids are eating better (by choice). Forks vs Knives was... meh, but it helps in making you want less processed foods, imo ;) It is anti-high protein though :lol: The last one was just interesting.

Read Maria Emmerich's blog (mariahealth.blogspot) and watch the "sugars and starch" video on youtube--or maybe it's "starch and sugars" can't remember.

"Wheat Belly" is another good book.

These sources are what most would consider radical (elimination of wheat and most starches) but this is the only thing that has worked for us!

My solution is a little extreme.

I've lost 6lbs so far this month by using the Lose It app on my iPhone. I already feel so much better.

I decided how much I wanted to lose a week, then figured out what calorie deficit I would need to achieve that.

I am staying within that calorie range by eating low carb and high fat. The choice of foods keeps me completely satisfied so I am not hungry at all, even with a small amount of food.

I've added in 2-3 hours of walking a day. That is also part of why I can eat enough to not be hungry, and still consistently lose significant weight each week.

I agree with the others that picking one thing and starting slowly is best, but I'm not that kind of person, so I'm tracking calories in, calories burned and carb counts.

It is time consuming, but it sure feels good to see my body shrinking and getting strong at the same time.

I love scanning my food!

I need to lose weight. I need to get in better shape. And while I know that I really, really need to...I just don't want to IYKWIM. I weigh more right now than I ever have other than when pregnant (and I am 2 pounds away from where I was when I gave birth to ds), my skin looks icky and my hair is just blah. I know that my unhealthy lifestyle is causing me problems and I really want to change. I WANT to want to do this. I just can't seem to make it happen.

I am totally addicted to carbs. I keep thinking that a low carb diet would be wonderful, but I just can't imagine how in the world I would make it through the first couple of weeks. I enjoy eating for the sake of eating...you know, I am a muncher and a grazer. There is nothing better than noshing on food while perusing my favorite websites or reading a book. It is my treat to me when the kids are finally in bed!

I would love to be a person who eats to live rather than one who lives to eat...but it is just so darn fun. I know that I need to start taking steps in the right direction...but I'm just not sure where to start. Suggestions???

Curves is what helped me. I had to eat right in order to have the energy to work out, and I built muscle which helps a lot.

I also recommend Weight Watchers. You can eat any food you want, just not as much as you want!

One of the things it has helped me do is determine if a food is "worth it." Often, I decide I'd rather have something more filling or healthy.

They have good health guidelines to try to get in each day (things like drinking enough water, eating fruits and vegetables, and exercise). Those have also helped me!

All in all, it is not hard. You are allow to have treats, you can eat more if you exercise more etc.

You can also join online only and it is much cheaper.

I've lost 26 lbs since mid November. It is not super fast, but it is working.

I tried plans and diets and all sorts of stuff. Turns out there was a simple answer for me. Eat less food. Seriously. I still eat anything I want, pizza, pasta, rice, dessert, I just eat a LOT less. When I make plates for my children for dinner, I make the same size plate for me.

I have also started buying LOTS more fruit and vegetables. One day a week, I usually saute a bunch of veggies for me, stuff the rest of my family hates. ThenI have it on hand whenever I want something. Sometimes I toss the veg into pasta or into rice for a stir fry.

I put food into smaller bowls or even a mug. It keeps my portion size smaller. I lost 30 pounds doing this. I've started adding in a walk three days a week or so.

Diets are daunting. Change the way you look at eating. Change the food you put into your body. Tracking calories DOES help. I started with just trying to make healthier choices...i.e. whole wheat pasta instead of white....wild rice instead of white...apple cubes instead of a cookie, and so on. When I started tracking my calories on a Kindle app I have (called "lose it"), Oy! I really started to see WHY the things I had tried in the past never worked. Once I got excited about changing my health and I started seeing even the smallest results, I came to really enjoy the process. I make a game of it sometimes and see how many things I can find that I really can just eat and eat and eat on without all the calories. It also helps me to see something BEFORE I eat it in terms of calories. For instance, we were choosing a restaurant out in public one day. My oldest son wanted Olive Garden. I put my usual meal there into my Lose it App and realized that it would take my DAILY calorie allowance just to eat there! Just seeing that was enough for me to make a better decision for my eating that day. :)

I could have written your post - down to the "within two pounds" comment :D I have tried WW (successfully in '05), Atkins, and South Beach (both unsuccessful b/c I gave in to the awful cravings I had in the 1st week each time).

Have you heard about the NoS diet? From the website:

There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks

No Sweets

No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

That's it.

I just re-started it yesterday - it is the one thing that I can stick to. I can eat one plate and not go back for seconds. I pay more attention to the amount of food that is going on my plate and would be willing to bet I put less, even though I am not going to have seconds. I love sweets, but knowing that I can eat all I want on the weekends helps. Again - overall - I doubt that I am eating as much as before NoS. No snacking is a bit more difficult. Between breakfast & lunch is OK. But lunchtime to dinnertime, and after the girls go to bed is harder. I have found that sparkling water really fills me up. Moreso than regular tap water. I usually have either that, or a stick of gum to help me through those times, but from past experience it gets better quickly.

HTH - good luck to you!

This is me. My husband works away from home M-Th, and I would be lost without my elliptical. It has been SO worth the investment. I bought a great model through Overstock.com and had it shipped for $2.95! I use it 5-6 days a week and have lost 23 pounds since August.

Also, while I would agree that weight loss requires smart eating choices, I would add that I tend to happily make better choices when I am exercising regularly. My body feels energized and I know how hard I am working my body, so I tend toward better choices. Just wanted to present that idea.

I'll chime in even though I fear it will just be another overwhelming voice... and keep in mind, I'm in process. I was in a similar spot 1 month ago, and never believed I could be one of those people who eventually cut out carbs.

My motivation originated in that I wanted to feel better and strengthen my immune system. Weight loss was secondary. I started by watching "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" and boy is that a motivator to challenge exactly what we choose to put in our bodies, and the ramifications. I do believe that processed food can make & keep us sick....and, at core, that's what I'm after- to start honoring my body by giving it good things- not just being a slave to my taste buds & cravings. There are so many documentaries out there that really examine the realities of our processed food life.

I juiced 2 meals a day for 15 days and eating only lean protein and raw fruist & veggies for dinner (plus raw food for snacks)....I only lost 4 pounds while juicing, but after 7 days, felt sooooo much better. The energy, clarity and just strength I felt, well I wouldn't trade it for the biggest chocolate cake in the world. Yes, the first 3-4 days were tough, but the upside of juicing is that you actually feel very full & satisfied as compared to a lower calorie, restrictive diet. And frankly, the first week of any major change is going to be tough.

I wasn't sure where to go from there...this needs to be a life change, albeit a major one. I didn't want to 'go back' to the way I used to eat because it was clear how much better I felt, plus energy etc...so I am now doing a lo-carb diet that is by its nature, lower in calories & focuses on whole foods. Its along the Primal/Paleo ways of eating...but I"m not fully committed to any one approach, rather going by how I feel. I track on Sparkpeople and yesterday I ate 23 carbs & less than 1100 calories- something I never thought I'd be 'satisfied' with....my treat was a few strawberries after dinner. They tasted sooooo sweet because I'm not used to sugar anymore. Now today, I juiced for breakfast (kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, 1 kiwi, lemon & ginger and that has more carbs than my entire day yesterday- LOL) so obviously, I'm not married to any approach other than keep carbs under 75-100 and from veggies/fruit as much as possible and to fill up on lean protein & green veggies. Again, I trully feel better this way.

I've lost 7+lbs, but moreso some major inches in just 3.5 weeks- thats amazing for me. Yes, I work out (pilates, weight training & running) but I did before too...I cannot rely on exercise to be a weight loss key for me...for me, it happens in the kitchen. But exercise makes you feel better and more aware of your body, and of course gives strength & muscle tone. :)

Thats my spiel- I'm very much in process and figuring it out as I go...but really, I'm going by how I feel more than following a diet. So thankful to feel so good....

You don't know how to start? Well it can be overwhelming. Start small. Do something you know you should be doing. Drink more water, try to cut down on what you eat, or walk. You don't have to do it all at once. Start with what you think is easiest to change, then add to it when you are ready. You may not lose weight as quickly if you start slowly but you're already not losing weight so it won't hurt at all.

I used to think you need to "be ready" to make changes. When I had my major successful weight loss (before kids) I "was ready" due to a million other things going on in my life. I go to Weight Watchers and the leader said "You know what, if you wait until you're ready, it might never happen." At this point in my life, that really resonates with me. I won't "be ready," not with having four kids to take care of. I have to force this. I find it really motivating once I actually start losing weight, so usually I follow a plan really religiously at the beginning so that I see changes, and that usually keeps me going.

I've been at this weight loss stuff forever and it's rare when I find something new to inspire me. Therefore I'm sharing this website, because I've been obsessed with it lately: http://www.runsforcookies.com/ Truly inspiring! I'm not a runner but the site makes me want to cook healthier food and exercise more. Great tips throughout too.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

-Replace the fat in your diet with healthy fat. It will help you feel more satisfied and less hungry.

-Exercise. Sometimes I exercise twice a day because it fills my time (and I'm not eating), makes me feel/look better (so don't want to eat), if I eat right before exercise I get sick during exercise (so I don't do it), and right after exercise I don't feel like eating.

-Change around your schedule to purposefully mess up your regular snacking times (check the computer right after breakfast instead of right after the kids go to bed . . .)

-Find a hobby that is difficult to do and snack at the same time (crochet?)

For me, learning not to snack has been the main thing. I enjoy snacks, just as you say that you do, but I was eating as much between meals as during meals. For me, NoS (from Monday to Friday no sweets, no snacks, no seconds) has been a sane way to eat. I have treats at weekends, and at the beginning my weekends were over the top, but during the week I don't snack and I feel better. I drink herbal teas in the evenings if I feel snacky.

I'm losing weight slowly, but more importantly the saner habits are entrenching themselves. I've lost about five pounds since November.

Laura

I've been following the Take Shape For Life plan. I like it because it doesn't just focus on losing weight, but on creating healthy habits for life. Losing the extra weight is the first step of the program, followed by transitioning to regular food and learning to maintain the weight loss and create optimal health.

The weight loss portion is pre-packaged food plus a Lean & Green meal each day. The first three days are pretty rough; getting to the point where you're not burning carbs as your main source of fuel is tough to get through. Once you get through those first few days it gets easier. I'm a total sugar junkie and I love how I feel right now without the sugar.

Normally I would pooh-pooh a low-carb "diet" because I watched the train wrecks of the mid 2000's during the low-carb craze, but I watched neighbor after neighbor get on this program and just melt away. I had approached my highest weight ever after Baby #4 and finally just had to sit down and admit that I needed help in getting this weight OFF.

The program comes with a free health coach as well. Mine happens to be one of my neighbors that I knew a little bit, but it was weird getting used to calling or texting her for support. Now I talk to her about every other day--I phone when I feel like giving up and she gives me a pep talk, I text when I'm angry and want to scarf down every fattening and sugar-laden treat I can get my hands on out of spite (Who does that hurt? NOT the person I'm angry at!) and I phone with my weigh-ins and successes and she praises me, which is so wonderful. It's so nice to be noticed for doing good instead of only noticed when I mess up.

If you're interested, Take Shape for Life's website is: http://www.tsfl.com/index.jsp?gclid=COOEnr3jnq4CFQ5_hwod8UV64g

I'm also posting my weight loss journey on my blog, in case you want to look a bit before committing: http://mrsbrooke.blogspot.com/ I update my weight loss progress each Monday. It's going well. I've lost 15 pounds in 7 weeks so far.

The pre-packaged food is a little pricey, but I decided that it was more important for me to get my health back on-track than anything else. We're actually using our homeschooling and clothing budget to finance my program. What's more important in the long run? I've committed to using the library for our reading choices and I'm being creative when it comes to everything else. My children are pretty young and I don't think it's going to hamper their progress to not learn from a packaged curriculum right now. What will matter is that I will have energy and health in the future.

ETA: My husband is following his own plan for his weight loss.

Edited by MrsBrooke

For me exercise is the catalyst and the most important thing. It becomes a replacement for comfort food and a motivation for eating more healthy, also lowers my pain which also in turn lowers the comfort food. I start with exercise slowly and the rest follows.

Also... Immunocal Platinum has protein, immune builders and amino acids that my body needs for building muscle, so it makes my workouts much easier and much more effective.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

The easiest way I stop eating the carbs is that I don't bring them in the house in the first place. If they are here, I'll eat them. When the comfort food isn't available, it will be good to have a plan of what to replace them with. Others have suggested exercise, which will replace both the time span and the good feeling that snacking offers. Or healthy snack foods, like carrots or nuts, are great.

For building exercise into a life-long routine, chose an activity that you really enjoy doing, that you can set and achieve goals, and that include other people. It's pretty hard to stay motivated if you're trying to do something all alone, you don't really enjoy the activity, and it's the same thing day after day, week after week. It just isn't going to keep you interested for years to come. As much as I'd love the convenience of a treadmill, I know that I'd grow bored of it very quickly. I have been training Taekwon-do for 13 years, and it has been a wonderful way to get and stay in shape, set goals of achieving higher belt levels or tournaments, and I have friends and family to train with and keep me motivated year after year. I'm 45 years old now, and my favourite training partner is 55! That is an awesome role model and motivator for me.

I tried plans and diets and all sorts of stuff. Turns out there was a simple answer for me. Eat less food. Seriously. I still eat anything I want, pizza, pasta, rice, dessert, I just eat a LOT less. When I make plates for my children for dinner, I make the same size plate for me.

I have also started buying LOTS more fruit and vegetables. One day a week, I usually saute a bunch of veggies for me, stuff the rest of my family hates. ThenI have it on hand whenever I want something. Sometimes I toss the veg into pasta or into rice for a stir fry.

I put food into smaller bowls or even a mug. It keeps my portion size smaller. I lost 30 pounds doing this. I've started adding in a walk three days a week or so.

IMO. This is the best plan. I also lost about 25 lbs. doing the same thing. I eat anything I want, I just eat a lot less of it. :thumbup: I would be so miserable if I had to give up carbs (I gave up my beloved soda; that is bad enough!). I definitely try to eat healthier too, so it isn't like I'm eating pasta or pizza, etc. at every meal, but if I want it, I have it!! I just eat a much smaller portion. I also snack a lot less. I ask myself if I am really hungry (and not just bored, etc.) before I have a snack. If I really want it, I just have a small snack.

Easy peasy. I know that some people count calories, but I hate doing that. So, I simply eat a lot less instead.

I keep track of everything I eat using Calorie Count on my phone. They have a website that can be used for tracking too. No food is off limits, just watch portion sizes. I'm losing weight slowly, about 2 pounds a month, which is what I want as I know that it will stay off as I'm making lifestyle changes, not short term dieting changes. I go to Curves 3-4 times a week, which is great for both exercise and socializing.

I haven't read all the responses. One thing you identified was your tendency to eat at night when it's nice and quiet and you are relaxing. I totally get that.

Instead of eating at night, could you try having a nice, relaxing cup of tea? I have found that not munching after dinner can be key to losing weight, but it takes a good week or two to get myself out of the habit - I remind myself that I can withstand anything for two weeks. A cup of tea gives me some comfort, but I can't munch on anything - not even celery :D. (Blech - as though I'd want to...) But really, after a week or two I don't even miss it.

Another thing you might look into is Peak 8 exercise (recommended on mercola.com). Short, intense 20 minute workouts 2 or 3 times a week. Increases your HGH levels which will in turn help your body heal itself, lose fat, gain muscle, and get you back into shape. It's something you can do in your house, outside, or at a gym.