Menu

Nursing Poll

test  

1. 1. test

• yes
    • no

The other thread (Do you or do you know anyone who thinks breastfeeding is abhorrent? ) has got me curious to know if you nurse or have nursed babies and for how long. And how long before anything else was introduced.

I didn't plan on nursing my first dc, but my SIL came to visit a week before my first dd was born and encouraged me to at least give it a try. I've never looked back! I can say nursing my dc has been one of the best decisions I've made.

DD was nursed for 16 months. My first DS was nursed 12 months. My second DS nursed for 20 months. And I'm still nursing my second DD who is now 3 months.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not responding since I don't want to skew the results. I would have breastfed (or at least tried) but it was not logistically possible. My kids came home via adoption when they were around a year old.

I wonder if you could add a few options, such as "no, I chose not to" vs. "no, I was unable to."

I don't want people to think that everyone who did not nurse believes that nursing is not a great idea.

I am not responding since I don't want to skew the results. I would have breastfed (or at least tried) but it was not logistically possible. My kids came home via adoption when they were around a year old.

I wonder if you could add a few options, such as "no, I chose not to" vs. "no, I was unable to."

I don't want people to think that everyone who did not nurse believes that nursing is not a great idea.

Yes, after I posted I thought I should have added "I wanted to, but was not able to." I don't know how to fix a poll... Anyone know?

I tried with my first. I never could get enough for her and she looked like a skeleton baby. By 2 months she had only gained 2 ounces. It was incredibly stressful and the whole experience was very depressing.

With my second, I tried for all of 5 days. After 5 days she was still losing weight, which I know can be normal, but I started feeling completely stressed out, depressed, and anxious. I decided that for my own sake, I wasn't going to do it. So I stopped and immediately felt good about my decision.

I don't even plan on trying for the third.

I believe breastfeeding is best and will encourage anyone who asks me for my opinion. It just wasn't for me.

My first one was a preemie, but big enough not to go into NICU. The regular nursery nurses really sabotaged breastfeeding. Once he had a bottle, he went on a hunger strike rather than nurse -- one of my consultants was a nationally known lactation doc, and she had rarely seen cases like ds. In the end, I pumped for about 6 weeks until I dried up. He started solids at 6 mo or so.

Dd a year later was completely opposite, found her way to the food in the first couple of minutes, nursed like a champ. She lost a lot of weight, didn't gain much back, so at 3 weeks, I started with a supplementer. But with a 14 mo old and a newborn, it was too high maintenance, so I went to bottles, did both for 4-5 months before I dried up. (She was eating HUGE amounts by then, 10 oz every 2 hours ... she still is a big eater, though skinny (5'5", maybe 90 lb), and has been tested but cleared for any metabolic issues. She started on solids at about 4 mo, soon after the breastmilk wasn't available anymore.

Ds2 nursed exclusively for 3 weeks without gaining. They did some tests and found that my metabolic issues affected my milk supply. We tried tube feeding me to help the quality issues. Dh had taken a job 1000 miles away, and with 2 toddlers to corral while nursing my newborn and the house was on the market, adding a supplementer to that as a single parent wasn't realistic. He nursed and bottle fed until 4-5 months, started solids at 5-6 months.

Dd was our caboose with a bigger age gap (olders were 4-6 when she was born), so I was able to focus more on making nursing work. She fiddled with the tapes on the supplementer and broke the tubes by pulling (she also prolapsed her cord by forcing her hand with the cord in it over her head, trying to pull out the scalp monitor they put in because of thick meconium and pre-eclampsia). We still bottle/breast fed until she was 7-8 months. She wasn't really interested in solids until 8-9 months ... we tried as early as 6 months.

With my metabolic issues, nursing took a big toll on me physically, and didn't give the dc some of the usual benefits, but they all got at least a few weeks.

I breastfed each of my three kids. My first two I only was able to BF exclusively for about 6 months then I supplemented with formula. My third had extreme reflux and an inability to digest either cow's milk or soy proteins. I went dairy/soy free until she self weaned at about 20 months. Formula wasn't an option because I really didn't want to risk lowering my milk supply and have her be allergic to the hypoallergenic stuff. Once my milk supply drops, it falls off rapidly.

Christine

Dd1- stopped at 3 years

Ds1- stopped at 22 months

Ds2- stopped at 16 months

Ds3- stopped at 18 months

Plan on nursing dd2 when born

Never needed solids before 8 months and I have large 10 pounder newborns. My kids start solids when sitting up and have a few teeth and can put the food in their mouth by their self. :001_smile:

Editing to add in response to OP question if anyone I know finds it abhorrent: yes, my entire family and my husband's entire family. Why? I don't know...they just think it is gross. But, I must say my kids have all been healthier than me, my husband, any of our siblings, cousins, etc., that have had tons of ear infections, etc. I think breastfeeding is God's natural design and not gross. I don't cast judgment on those who don't do it, but it was definitely what was best for my family. After kid 2 I really stopped caring what people thought. I had healthy and very happy babies and am thankful for that.

Edited by LAmom

I voted up to age 2, because that was about the average weaning age for my kiddos. The middle two weaned before 2 years because "mee-mees all gone" (as reported by one disgruntled toddler, then other just stopped nursing) when I was pg with the next; the eldest and the youngest weaned around 2.5ish. :)

Cat

I started both kids on table food at around 6 months, when they started swiping my lunch. I nursed ds until 15 months and had to give up because I was bleeding and couldn't heal up fast enough. I nursed dd until 16 months, then gave up because I was too sore while pregnant. I tried tandem feeding when ds was born, but couldn't handle the load. Perhaps I could have if I'd sat in bed with someone waiting on me hand and foot, waving palm leaves, with a constant supply of tidbits, but alas, I lack slaves. When ds started solids and cut down on his nursing, I tried again, but I still couldn't manage it. Her last was on her 3rd birthday. She's four and a half now, and I'm sure she'd restart the habit if she had the opportunity!

Rosie

Yep...nursed #1 for 27 months. That was about 2 months into my pregnancy with #2 and my milk must have changed taste or began to dry up because #1 suddenly just dropped it and never looked back.

I nursed #2 till right after she turned 4 years old. At that time, I was again about 2 months pregnant. My breasts were killing me and I began to dread every time she wanted to nurse (which was only at bedtime) so I had to go ahead and wean her. There were a few tears from her but not many.

Now I'm currently nursing my 2 month old.

My record is 11 months (7, almost 8, exclusive). My experience ranges from "Didn't want to" (young mom with zero support) to not thinking I could with #2 (I thought timed, scheduled feedings were how it was done, which lead to poor weight gain and giving formula at 2 months), to really thinking I couldn't (reflux that drs ignored, ftt, formula by 3 months), to finally understanding how sabatoged I was by peds and a society that thinks babies can't be sustained by breast milk!

Also, #4 gained slowly, but I stuck to it and he wound up following the same curve my weaned kids did! That's just how I grow 'em!

I'm still sad about my last. We didn't identify MSPI until he was genuinely FTT. We couldn't just wait for my diet to clear, so he was on an extra calorie mix of formula. The goal was to pump for 6 weeks, but I couldn't hack the schedule of pumping, mixing, feeding, washing (pump parts and bottles), etc. with a screaming baby, 3 homeschooled kids, and a preschooler. Eventually, I didn't even want to work on relactating. Lots of regrets, but I'm working on letting them go!

I nursed my first for about 9 months but she was also getting formula from about 2 months since I returned to full time work when she was 7 weeks old. I was able to pump some but not enough to supply all she needed. I was a secretary and had to pump in the management lounge during my breaks. It was kind of awkward.

I nursed my second for 22 months. I stopped 2 months before dd was born since I wanted him done before she started. I didn't want to try tandem nursing especially knowing I was having another c-section. I didn't get to nurse ds for about 7 hours after he was born since I was having bad reactions to medications. He still was a great nurser and I never had any problems with supply. He started solids at 6 months.

My youngest nursed for about 18 months. I was having major dental surgery with pain meds AND was planning an overnight trip with my oldest. She refused to drink from bottle or cup so we put the effort into weaning her. She started solids at 6 months.

I nursed my first for only 6 months; then she was bottle fed.

My son is still nursing occasionally at 2 1/2 years old. I only nursed him for medical reasons. It was a necessity for him. Now, at almost preschool age, he nurses because I'm a sucker and can't say "no". Lol.

... if it had not been so necessary, I wouldn't have done it. I find it personally less than desirable. It was never a bonding help for me. I despise nursing and find it "icky". For me. I'm sure it is wonderful for others. For what it's worth, I never had any trouble nursing and only supportive family; it just isn't for me.

If Baby Schmoo To Be is healthy otherwise, I will give him/her forumula.

My answer varies:

Ds11: Nursed until he was 16 months. I got pregnant with ds8 and nursing made my skin crawl, so to the sadness of both of us, I weaned :(.

Ds8: Nursed until he was 17 months. I weaned him because I was working full-time and was a single mother by that time with two young boys.

Dd5: Nursed until she was 27 months. I weaned her because she was still night nursing all night long and the easiest thing to do was just cut all ties with nursing.

Dd7 months: Still nursing and I'm seriously contemplating letting her go for as long as she wants. Ok, maybe just until she's driving me bonkers at night:tongue_smilie:.

They all nursed for different amounts and self-weaned

B/G twins - 10 mos

DS 27 mos

DS 28 mos

DS 12 mos

Nursing is a lifestyle- like homeschooling - and needs Dad's support.....it affects your life in wonderful ways and hard ways but ultimately, it is for the baby's benefit and I accepted the limits it put on my life because I knew it was short-lived. These kids are now 29/29, 24, 22 and 14 and looking back, I'm so grateful I was able to. I know some friends who didn't have success (as they defined it) and that also helped me to keep a low profile about it but to stay commited.

My answer varies as well:

DD9: tried for a couple of days and my dd and I could not make it work, she was bottle fed.

DS6: nursed for 9 months, he is the one that stopped - never did formula

DD4: nursed for 22 months, I finally had to have her quit

DD15mo: still nursing

I voted no. I had a breast reduction at 19 and I am physically incapable of nursing. I have tried it all -- herbal supplements, DPD (prescription medication that induced lactation), pumping, Lact-Aid (an at the breast supplementer that allows one to give formula supplements while nursing). I have cried and bled and hurt for weeks with each of my babies trying to get my breasts to give even a few drops of milk. They just can't.

The nursing threads always hurt my feelings. I hate to know that some other mothers are judging me for feeding my child formula when it is the only thing that I am capable of giving. I know that breast milk is best. I don't need anyone to remind me.

I wish women were more gracious towards one another when it comes to parenting.

DD the Elder weaned voluntarily at 4.5 ("traded" for an extra half hour reading time at night), DD the Younger weaned at my (gentle) insistence on her fifth birthday.

I voted no. I had a breast reduction at 19 and I am physically incapable of nursing. I have tried it all -- herbal supplements, DPD (prescription medication that induced lactation), pumping, Lact-Aid (an at the breast supplementer that allows one to give formula supplements while nursing). I have cried and bled and hurt for weeks with each of my babies trying to get my breasts to give even a few drops of milk. They just can't.

The nursing threads always hurt my feelings. I hate to know that some other mothers are judging me for feeding my child formula when it is the only thing that I am capable of giving. I know that breast milk is best. I don't need anyone to remind me.

:grouphug:

I sometimes get touchy bc of my experience with my last, but I will admit I can be judgmental about certain non-bfing examples. Stories like yours are NOT in that category, imo!

My oldest nursed for 22 months. She was a VERY demanding nurser, insisting on frequent and long feedings. At one year (when I thought I would stop because that's what my mom did), I cut her down to four times a day. With my strong encouragement, she weaned for a couple days at 18 months, but when she became very sick, I let her start again and kept it up until she started caring more about other things.

My second also weaned at 22 months. It was a completely different experience. She was always easy to nurse and I never minded until I was pregnant with my youngest and it became uncomfortable. She was easy to wean.

My third weaned at 16 months. She was eating full real food meals by 10 months of age and was doing more chewing on mommy than nursing. It hurt and she didn't care very much, so we quit.

Dd never learned to latch on. It was so devastating for me. I pumped for her for over 13 months.

Since it became so easy for me. I pumped for ds also. Again, 13 months.

ETA: My reply does look a bit funny when looking at the avatar of Jeff Bridges. LOL!

I went with 2+ since it was my longest one.

DS1 nursed until he was 3 1/2. I gently weaned him at the time because I couldn't handle tandem nursing 2 while 15+ weeks pregnant. He was okay with it, but would probably still have nursed if given the choice. I introduced solids to him at 6 months, but he wasn't interested until closer to 8 months.

DD nursed until she was 22 months, I was 7 months pregnant when she weaned, and fairly ill. She just wasn't interested, and I was interested in pushing her to continue. She started solids at 6 months and was interested immediately.

DS2 is still nursing at 9 months and I expect him to nurse until he weans, though I'll reassess if he is still nursing at 4 to see how I feel at that point in time. He started solids around 6 months, and has enjoyed them since he started them.

I wasn't sure how to vote because they were all a bit different.

ds 1: I Breastfed for 10 months from 10-12 months he had formula, because he became completely uninterested in nursing. He was given no formula before 10 months.

dd 1 was breastfed until 11 months, and I pumped for 1 month and she drank BM and some formula out of a bottle until 12m when she switched to cows milk. I stopped BF her because she would not stop biting. She bit me off and on from 5m-11m.:eek:

dd 2 was Breastfed until 13 months. She never received a bottle or Formula of any kind.

ds 2 was Breastfed until 18 months when he basically weaned himself. He has never had formula or a bottle.

I suppose if I had more babies I would continue to nurse longer and longer lol!

I nursed my twins till 14 and 16 mos. (or was it 16 and 18 mos?) At any rate, it was after a year, before 1 1/2 yrs, 2 mos. apart. :tongue_smilie: It was a rough start, and I had to supplement with formula for the first 3 mos. After that, all breastmilk (but the bedtime feeding was pumped so we could feed them simultaneously without a circus).

My youngest nursed a bit longer, till just before her 2nd birthday; never got formula or a bottle.

I think I started solids for all of them around 8 mos-ish?

Edited by matroyshka

:grouphug: It wasn't my intentions to hurt anyone. :grouphug:

My daughter nursed until about 14 months, at which point it was clear she was nursing just for comfort. She started solids about about nine months. By the time she weaned, she would nurse for no more than 10 minutes before her nap and again at bedtime. She was also talking and able to understand when I said we were going to do something different.

My son nursed for just about a year, and then he was ready to be done. He was extremely alert and interested in everything, and I think he just hated not being able to look around and move around while eating. He was also ALWAYS hungry. When he was tiny, I was lucky if I got to stop nursing and stand up for an hour before he was hungry again. I suspect by that point he had figured out that drinking from a cup or eating something solid got him more volume, more quickly. So, he more or less stopped on his own.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

All three of mine went to between 10 and 11 months. I was 4 months pregnant with my youngest when my middle child stopped. Both the oldest and youngest also stopped around the same time. We added in solids around 6 or 7 months when the kids started putting our food in their mouths.

I only know one other mom around here who breastfed her children.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this one.

I tried to nurse my first and she weighed less at her five week check up than she did at birth. The whole experience was wretched for everyone involved. When #2 came along I went straight to the bottle and plan on doing the same with #3. I fully support nursing families, but I'm also confident in my family's position as well.

I breastfed both of my children until they were 9 months old, at which point they were both done with me. Neither had any interest in me after that. Boo-Boo, at 10 months, threw her bottle at me one day and would never take another of those. I was fine with that time frame though because I needed to reclaim my body for my own sanity.

I nursed my older DS for 21 months. I still feel guilty for weaning him, but from 6 weeks on I had to avoid dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, nuts, and potatoes because of his allergies. I wanted a few months of eating normal before we TTC again. He was ready to wean, but I def nudged it along.

My twins only nursed for 16 months. They weaned themselves. I think my supply tanked around 12 months.

Why do they hurt your feelings? This poll is anonymous, so how could anyone judge? I haven't seen anyone state that the people who answered no are less than superior mothers because they didn't BF.