Menu

Nursing Poll

test  

1. 1. test

• yes
    • no

All of my children breastfed just a few weeks or months past their second birthday. The oldest weaned when I was pregnant because of changes he didn't like in my milk supply. The middle kid weaned for reasons of his own that he never explained to me, slowly. The littlest one I strongly encouraged (but didn't force) to stop because it had been eight years of non-stop lactation and my attitude about it had gone downhill.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer is different for each child. With all of them I have waited until after 6 months to start solids. My oldest nursed the longest, for just over 2.5 years. Both ds's weaned around 18 months. Younger dd was almost 23 months when she weaned. I'm guessing that the younger three would have nursed longer had I not been pregnant with their younger siblings. I night weaned all of the kids, but, other than the youngest, they chose their last daytime session.

#1 - nursed for 13 months although I tried to wean at 3 months because she was miserable. She was more unhappy on the formula (allergies) so I went back to nursing. At 13 months she started biting me and refusing to nurse so we stopped.

#2 - weaned at 10 months for radioactive medical tests (for me). After 2 bouts of PPD and special allergen free diets (among other problems, including this for all 5 babies) I was happy to be done instead of pumping and dumping for days.

#3 weaned at 8 months to special formula because I couldn't figure out all her food allergies in order to avoid them.

#4 weaned at almost 3, nursed through my pg with #5, tandem nursed for awhile (which were both torture!) and would probably still be nursing if I let her! :lol:

#5 nursed until 2.5 I think. It was a blur.

With most kids I tried food around 4-6 months. #1 loved it, #2 threw up everything until 12 months (huge gag reflex, I think), #3 started eating more than a taste around 8 months but reacted to everything, and hmmmm...I don't remember #4 and 5. I think I was more relaxed and they just ate bites from our meals now and then...when I knew they weren't full of allergens.

For my third, the sling has the same reaction. I didn't use it much with the older two, but by him, it was a necessity. I had to kick him out of it at 3 1/2 when I started having pregnancy complications (he was small for his age). His baby sister never wanted anything to do with the sling at all. Last summer, I was repacking some baby clothes and the sling came out and at 10 1/2, he still looked at it wistfully. He's still small (always will be, I think), but I'm small too, so there's no way I'm lugging him around in it now. It was the same calming/relaxing memories thing, though, I think.

Awww.....

And, :lol: to the bolded part!

I started solids for both girls before 6 months. I breastfed Rebecca for 16.5 months total, at which time I was pregnant with Sylvia so she naturally weaned. I only nursed Sylvia for 7 months because she was premature, sleepy, and jaundiced plus slow to gain weight and was supplemented from birth. I was under a tremendous amount of stress at the time which also dried up my supply.