Menu

What levels are you currently homeschooling?

What is the highest academic level you are currently homeschooling a child at?  

1. 1. What is the highest academic level you are currently homeschooling a child at?

• I am not currently homeschooling
    • The highest level I am currently homeschooling is preschool/kindergarten
    • The highest level I am currently homeschooling is lower elementary (1-3)
    • The highest level I am currently homeschooling is upper elementary (4-6)
    • The highest level I am currently homeschooling is junior high (7-8)
    • The highest level I am currently homeschooling is high school (9-12)
    • The highest level I am currently homeschooling is post high school
    • I have graduated at least one student from homechool high school (in addition to choices above)
    • Other

It seems to me there are lots of parents of young children on the forums here and many fewer at the junior high and high school level. I'm curious to know if homeschooling is just a lot more common at the early elementary level--do lots of people send their kids to school as they get older? Or is homeschooling just growing really fast among parents of young children and in a few years we will have tons of homeschooled highschoolers? Or likely a combination of the two?

Please answer the poll with regards to the children you are currently homeschooling.

ETA: In addition, if you have graduated at least one student from homeschool high school please mark that.

Thanks!

Edited by thegardener

My last baby is jr. high age but I have graduated three already. High school is a little more complicated so many people use other options than pure mom led homeschool for 9th-12th. My last will get a much better education than the first three, but they did fine and got through college with good grades and scholarships.

My last and the only one I am currently schooling is 11, so officially a 6th grader -- but her level is more 7/8th.

I have graduated 3, two have now graduated from college and are working, and the other one is a freshman in college, trying to find her way in life.

Linda

I am homeschooling a kindergartener, and a 7 grader. I also have 2 highschoolers, but I'm pretty hands off with them.

I put in the work when they were older, and they are very self motivated now. Mr. Clever is a business major at the community college. He takes Spanish and Science from a homeschooling friend. He texts me every day when he finishes his Math and practices piano.

Miss Good has an outsourced art class and another class for speech and debate. Otherwise, she keeps up with her school work by herself. She also works 40+ hours a week at the corporation she started. I need to make her take at least one community course this spring-maybe a painting class.

I was expecting Mr. clever to go off to college in a couple of years, but he is VERY conservative with money, so he wants to live at home for his undergraduate degree, and save money for grad school. I can't really argue with that, so I'm practicing treating him like I would another adult who is living in the same house. I might need to work on that with Miss Good too.

I'm only hsing 2 right now, the oldest being a 7th grader. I hsed my eldest through 10th grade while he also took ap classes at ps. In 11th he started community college.

Hsing high school isn't a problem, but I have found that my kids start needing independence from me around high school. I sent dd to private high school this year.

It should be interesting to see what my other kids choose for high school.

Edited by True Blue

My dd19 is a Senior. (not typical, but there were issues)

My ds15 is a Sophmore.

My dd13 is a Freshman.

I think that by the time kids are in high school, homeschooling parents who have homeschooled up to that time just sort of feel in the right place where they don't need so much support maybe. I hang out here for ME because I want to talk with adults, but not so much about homeschooling. But also, I'm not the typical high school parent on this board. I use an accredited program so I no longer put together stuff for my kids. I do still work with them though. I stopped hanging out with homeschool groups several years ago and I definitely didn't see many middle or high schoolers.

It seems to me there are lots of parents of young children on the forums here and many fewer at the junior high and high school level. I'm curious to know if homeschooling is just a lot more common at the early elementary level--do lots of people send their kids to school as they get older? Or is homeschooling just growing really fast among parents of young children and in a few years we will have tons of homeschooled highschoolers? Or likely a combination of the two?

Please answer the poll with regards to the children you are currently homeschooling.

ETA: In addition, if you have graduated at least one student from homeschool high school please mark that.

Thanks!

My oldest is in 7th. We've homeschooled from the beginning, and have no plans to stop.

I know I'm busier now than I've ever been. I teach from 8:30-4:30 (at least), and we have Judo, piano, and gymnastics as outside activities. I simply don't have time to post like I used to if I'm going to do this thing right. I've been contemplating giving the boards up altogether (we'll see if that happens).

I sent my oldest, my step dd to high school after home schooling her for four years. I consider her high school career a HUGE waste of her time and my money, as the fees I paid to the public high school she attended would have bought good curriculum.

My 16yo son is attending community college as a full time student and I have no input other than helping him choose classes. He is doing well, he did get a C on a five credit math class that he knew the material on, but he did not understand the teacher's story problems and failed every test she gave. He still got a C because he did all his assignments and quizzes and got 100% on them. It hurt me that his grade point average is hurt over this five credit class, but life has lessons and he learned one with this class.

My junior high age dd is still using WTM materials that I purchased for my son at this age. Next year she may do Oak Meadow if I can afford it, because it is hard work to keep up with her fits and starts and one program may be better for her.

We have always intended to homeschool all the way through but evaluate as necessary as we went along. So far, we are still chugging along and our oldest is now in 9th grade. Our 11yo has asked about attending the high school in town when he's old enough because they have an excellent theater program and he wants to be an actor. We told him that we would consider it (we'd have to move into the town school district and we need to feel that he is emotionally and socially ready and that his academic needs would be met), but we also told him that we would get him involved in the community theater here and work his school schedule so that he can help with our town's international film festival and go to auditions if he'd like to. He's the only one of our children who has had a desire to go to a brick and mortar school.

It seems that most homeschoolers around here begin sending their kids to brick and mortar schools around 7th grade or high school. There are a few who continue to homeschool beyond that because they can't afford the private, Christian school and then there are a small handful of us who plan to homeschool all the way through unless a child's needs deem otherwise.

I've graduated one from hs, am currently hs'ing 1st, 4th & 6th, and have one in public high school. I assume that the she will graduate from ps, but we're about to become expats, so that could change. It's possible that I'll bring her home. It's also possible that I'll put my youngers in school for the first time and begin afterschooling instead.

Most families I know IRL do not HS for high school. They either enroll their kids in a brick-and-mortar HS or just do early college at the CC.

California has admissions requirements for most of the UC's that can be difficult for HS graduates to meet. Not because they aren't getting a good education at home, but because the state requires that courses be specifically approved by some board :rolleyes: There are ways of testing out but most families just decide to outsource to public or private high school or the CC's.

I have graduated one, albeit quite early. She has now completed her bachelor's degree.

I marked "other" for my son, because I didn't want to walk into the usual negativity about acceleration. He's 13 (14 in March), and we're calling this year 9th grade. However, his plan is to finish in three years. So, depending on how you define it, he could be in 8th grade, 9th grade or 10th grade.

Lower elementary age, but a wide range of content levels, which explains why I fully expect to be HSing all the way through. Gotta love asynchronous development!

I understand the feeling! DS#1 is working on a 1st/2nd grade level on a couple of skills, 3rd and 4th grade level on most, and 6th grade level on a few others. It isn't difficult to let him work at so many different levels, but it is a challenge to keep him from looking around and realizing he is working at the same level or below some of his younger siblings. *sigh*

Education here (bolded "older student" levels):

Miss Em: here only 2 weeks - learning letter sounds, counting further, etc. Not sure it counts as homeschooling considering she's only here a couple weeks.

C - Afterschooling as he's in Head Start this year (will likely be home next year)

AJ - Afterschooling as he's in Head Start this year. He will go to Kindergarten next year and afterschool.

Victoria - Afterschooling as she's in Kindy this year (leaning towards home next year)

Johnathan - Homeschooled all but 8 weeks in PS and 1½ years in virtual academy. Graduating this spring.

Kimberly - Homeschooled all but 8 weeks in PS. Graduated Spring 2009. Taking this term off. Working on degree from home.

Myself - working on degree from home.

Hubby - not in school :)

I think that by the time kids are in high school, homeschooling parents who have homeschooled up to that time just sort of feel in the right place where they don't need so much support maybe.

:iagree:

Also, the questions are more specialized. Right now I'm wondering which local colleges dd should dual enroll in, and that's not something I'd ask here because not that many people have a clue about Mobap vs. Meramac.

The cute blog photo-ops are long gone, too. If I do a homeschool weekly report, if I wanted a photo right now it would be of a 16yo in sweats doing Lial's college algebra, and a 12 year old draped across the chair holding a Kindle ... no clever little craft projects, no proud display of workbook pages.

BTW, when I go places I don't see many high schoolers around because they're all in the car on the way to their dual enrollment classes, or their jobs, or their other outside interests. But a lot of them show up for prom.

I think that by the time kids are in high school, homeschooling parents who have homeschooled up to that time just sort of feel in the right place where they don't need so much support maybe. I hang out here for ME because I want to talk with adults, but not so much about homeschooling.

:iagree::iagree:

I ask when I need to, believe me, but I've kinda got this down, now. (knocks on wood)

Thanks!

This has been true as long as I've been around these boards (since about 2001). There are always more homeschooling elementary years, and far fewer homeschooling middle grades. Even fewer continue to high school. That is just the nature of the game, really. I think most people (parents and kids both) think of homeschooling as the way to give the best foundation, then they want to try public school later. Grades 6, 7 and 8 seem to be popular spots to introduce public schooling. Most people move on to public school by high school at the latest.

This has been true as long as I've been around these boards (since about 2001). There are always more homeschooling elementary years, and far fewer homeschooling middle grades. Even fewer continue to high school. That is just the nature of the game, really. I think most people (parents and kids both) think of homeschooling as the way to give the best foundation, then they want to try public school later. Grades 6, 7 and 8 seem to be popular spots to introduce public schooling. Most people move on to public school by high school at the latest.

:iagree:

We actually began homeschooling years ago by bringing our older kids HOME from high school. The social atmosphere was toxic and interfering with their ability to focus on academics, and the academic requirements of the school they attended were abyssmal. It turned out to be an amazingly good choice.

Currently I have two in public school because of a custody agreement (although one of those is lobbying her dad to be able to homeschool with me), and I am homeschooling my two youngest. The older kids have graduated. So, yes I am schooling younger kids but I have schooled older kids and I know I will be homeschooling the two youngest all the way through.