Menu

I need a poll...your state and hs regulations

I have no idea how to set up a poll, but I would love to hear what your state requires for homeschooling. I have heard some states offer hs families tax breaks or money for curriculum. I live in Okla. and we have neither, but we also do not have any hoops to jump though with our state. Just curious. What are the hs regulations/benefits in your state???

I'm in TX. No government benefits/subsidies whatsoever, but also no regulation/reporting/testing/anything. There's something on the books about having to teach certain subjects (which generally make sense to teach anyway), but unless there was something else big going on, there would be no way for them to check on that.

I'm in Utah. All we have to do is file an affidavit with our local school board saying that we are homeschooling. My kids participate in a homeschool/charter school program as well (one day per week for extracurricular classes). For that program the kids have to do standardized testing at the end of the year. We also get $300 each for educational expenses.

We're in Utah. The law says that once they are six, we must send in an affadavit saying we will homeschool X number of hours. I can't remember exactly what it is, I think something like 810 for first grade, 990 for second grade up. They have a list of subjects we have to cover, but its open to our interpretation on how much in each subject we do. That's about it. Once the school district sends back a confirmation letter, we're done. They can't come see our school room, records, force us to keep attendance, see standardized testing results, nothing.

Pigby is enrolled at a charter school one day a week. It's through a homeschooling program. They order up to $300 of curriculum for us to keep. In exchange, we have to keep track of how many minutes we're teaching him on the other days. If he stays in this program, he'll have to do a standardized test. I'm fine with all this as I was going to test him anyway. I'm not sure what year they'll be started the testing; he's in kindergarten, I'm not worried about it now.

I am in NC. You file a notice of intent and test every year. You also keep records such as shot records and attendance, but you aren't *required* to show those to anyone unless you are inspected (highly unlikely).

No financial help, which is okay with me.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I'm in VA. There are 4 choices for how to hs. The most popular one is the one we use. We have to send in a letter of intent in Aug. and we have to have our kids do one "nationally normed test" each year and send in a copy of the results. As long as your kid is not in the bottom quartile for their composite score, you are left alone.

No financial help, but if they leave me alone, I won't complain.

Florida has 3 options:

1. Register with your county as a homeschooler. Keep a portfolio of your child's work. Submit an annual evaluation - either testing, or a portfolio review done by a Florida certified teacher. The evaluation only needs to say that your child has made "progress commensurate with his abilities".

2. Enroll in a private umbrella school (technically your child is a private school student as far as the state is concerned).

3. Hire a private tutor. The tutor must be a Florida certified teacher, certified to teach the grade levels and subjects he or she is teaching your child.

ETA: No tax breaks, but Florida doesn't have a state income tax anyway.

In Oregon, all you have to do is send a letter of intent to your county withing 10 days of pulling your child from ps or private, or at age 7 if you start hsing from the beginning. We are required to take standardized tests in grades 3, 5, 8, and 10; but if you start hsing in one of those years you are exempt until the next testing grade. Your child must score above the 15th percentile. If your child doesn't score above the 15th percentile, then they have to retest in 6 months, and if they don't do better on that test then they have to go back to brick and mortar school, public or private. That is pretty much it. We are not required to keep attendance, record of time spent on a given subject, or what subjects to teach. We also do not get any financial help or tax breaks.

There is an online alternative public school called Connections Academy which is free. You are using all ps curric., but do it at home, so they give you all your books and one laptop per kid. You report to a teacher/tutor on a regular basis.

There are also now several online charter (public) schools that provide you with a stipend for books as long as they are secular, but the books must be returned at the end of the year. The stipend can also be used for music lessons or sports expenses for PE, if the intructor is willing to bill the charter directly. The two online charters that I know of are very limited in enrollment, very popular, and very full.

The last two options are as close to "help" as anyone can get here.

NM - send a letter of intent to homeschool by April 1st for the approaching school year and be ready to prove you schooled 180 days, if asked. No other regulations; no benefits. (I don't want benefits! The govt did a p!ss-poor job of educating my son when they had the chance. I don't need their help now.)

Edited by TammyH
to clarify the law

I have no idea how to set up a poll, but I would love to hear what your state requires for homeschooling. I have heard some states offer hs families tax breaks or money for curriculum. I live in Okla. and we have neither, but we also do not have any hoops to jump though with our state. Just curious. What are the hs regulations/benefits in your state???

Georgia: We turn in a yearly Intent form and send in monthly attendance forms. We are supposed to write progress reports at the end of each year and keep them for at least 3 years, but they are not shown to anyone. We are supposed to do standardized testing every 3 years and hold onto the scores, but we do not show them to anyone. The state offers us no compensation. We're on our own.

I'm in TX. No government benefits/subsidies whatsoever, but also no regulation/reporting/testing/anything. There's something on the books about having to teach certain subjects (which generally make sense to teach anyway), but unless there was something else big going on, there would be no way for them to check on that.

This sounds like IL.

In Oregon, all you have to do is send a letter of intent to your county withing 10 days of pulling your child from ps or private, or at age 7 if you start hsing from the beginning. We are required to take standardized tests in grades 3, 5, 8, and 10; but if you start hsing in one of those years you are exempt until the next testing grade. Your child must score above the 15th percentile. If your child doesn't score above the 15th percentile, then they have to retest in 6 months, and if they don't do better on that test then they have to go back to brick and mortar school, public or private. That is pretty much it. We are not required to keep attendance, record of time spent on a given subject, or what subjects to teach. We also do not get any financial help or tax breaks.

There is an online alternative public school called Connections Academy which is free. You are using all ps curric., but do it at home, so they give you all your books and one laptop per kid. You report to a teacher/tutor on a regular basis.

There are also now several online charter (public) schools that provide you with a stipend for books as long as they are secular, but the books must be returned at the end of the year. The stipend can also be used for music lessons or sports expenses for PE, if the intructor is willing to bill the charter directly. The two online charters that I know of are very limited in enrollment, very popular, and very full.

The last two options are as close to "help" as anyone can get here.

:iagree:

We live in Oregon too, and the only thing I will add is when I registered my ds in our district they told me I needed to have him tested at the end of 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th, but I didn't need to turn in the results. I have no idea how they would know what your score was, unless they asked. I honestly do not want any state or government help. I don't want them telling me what I can and can't use.

I'm in VA. There are 4 choices for how to hs. The most popular one is the one we use. We have to send in a letter of intent in Aug. and we have to have our kids do one "nationally normed test" each year and send in a copy of the results. As long as your kid is not in the bottom quartile for their composite score, you are left alone.

No financial help, but if they leave me alone, I won't complain.

I'm in VA too.

Yes that is probably one of the more popular ones. There is also the tutoring option that parents with Teaching degrees can use- It seems to be written more for those with VA license but I know of others that use other states. With that option there are no other regulations or test that the parent has to do.

There is also the Religious Exemption option that many use. There is some discussion on when or how to apply for it. I know many that never do anything formally for RE, but have the paper work prepared to file if they should be questioned. Others file the paper work with the School board. Once that is approved there is nothing else to do.

In VA there are some districts that allow hsers to take some classes, but no extrarcurricular activities.

Florida doesn't have tax benefits (no income tax anyway) but those have other good benefits. For high school, one can take classes in the school or do extra-curriculars like athletics. Also, dual -enrollment at cc is free- no tuition. However, you do have to pay for books.

In AL, where I am now, you have to enroll in a church school. Even if you are an Atheist, you have to do this but there are church schools that accept anyone regardless of faith. Then you have to follow the church school's regulations. My school is on the lower end of regulations but there are ones with even less. I decided to go with one that had a little bit because what it requires for high schoolers is what one does to make a transcript anyway. Twice a year, Jan and June, I have to give how many days we had school and also give grades and what classes were completed. So for Jan, I know she will have Algebra done and maybe some other class but most will just get a grade. Then in June or whenever next she is done (reported in Jan and June), she will get grades and credits.

I'm in MA. Each district is different, but in general, we are required to file one letter of intent to our district, and they get to approve or deny :glare: In reality though, not many LOIs are denied because the parent can bring them to court and it'll be on them to say why it was denied.

We also have to subject to yearly testing or sending in a portfolio of work with a progress sheet. I believe you can opt out of both and choose a teacher evaluation or something, but I've done the portfolio, so I don't know.

I think I may just hop over the border to CT when I homeschool :D

Washington here:

Must enroll in school or file Intent to Homeschool by age 8 and every year after

Must keep records, including vaccine records (no details provided on what to keep or how to keep those records)

Must test or have an assessment done every year, but don't have to give results to anyone

Must teach 11 subjects

Must be qualified to homeschool*

* Must have 45 credits of college, take a qualifying course (a weekend plus $120-ish), be supervised by a certified teacher, or be deemed qualified by the superintendent.

There are a variety of public school programs in which homeschoolers participate. These include part time enrollment in public school, participating in public school sports/band, parent partner co-ops, and online schools. When enrolled in public school, a parent partner program, or online school, the student is a part/full time public school student (depending on percentage of enrollment) even if parent does the bulk of the teaching at home.

Edited by joannqn

I'm in Indiana and the only requirement is you have to have school, however you define that, 180 days. There are no regulations or reporting requirements. Homeschool is considered an unaccredited private school.

There is a recent bill that provides a $1000 tax deduction per private school (this includes homeschool) student for educational expenses. This is just a deduction so reduces gross income only...the actual dollar amount then isn't significant but it's something.

I live in Wyoming. As far as I know there are no subsidies/ benefits/ payments of any kind. Even if there were I would not take them because that would be allowing the government more regulation/control of my home school.

We are, however, by law allowed to use the public school services (special ed services, tutoring services etc) and we can put our kids in any or all classes we want at the public school. (ex: math, science, music, history etc) without being considered a part time public school student unless they are in the school's classes for more that 2 1/2 school periods a day. Some people like that for upper level math and science. Also homeschoolers are allowed to participate in sports, clubs, field trips with the PS and those do not count as the 2.5 class periods a day. I don't know of anybody who does this beyond sports and band.

All we have to do is submit a letter to our local school district by the 1st day of public school informing them of the fact that our children will be homeschooled (this is for kids ages 7-16) and we have to either send with it

a) a scope and sequence showing a comprehensive curriculum

or

b) the books/publishers we will be using for the school year for each of the required subjects.

We are required atleast 175 days but do not have to show that to anybody. We personally do more than that though. Thats it. No testing, reporting, nothing. :001_smile:

Here you can read it incase I am missing anything :lol:

Maybe you're talking about some states, like Ohio, that offer K-12 to homeschoolers. If you use their program, they will give you a computer and pay for all your books (if there are any), I think. That would essentially be free homeschooling for you - IF you want to use only their materials, do all their work, and have it graded by someone else. It's really just schooling at home. The parent really isn't in charge, as I see it....

I'm currently in TX, but am from TN and will be heading back there shortly.

In TN, there are no tax breaks. Legislation passed just this year (it hadn't actually been on the books before that) allows you to register under an umbrella and be left completely alone. You can also register with the board of education and the requirements are pretty minimal.

...compulsory age is 7, so when your child is 7 at the start of your designated school year:

A) a record of hours and work done is required

B) a minimum of 1,000 hours of instruction each year (600 minimum Core with 400 of the 600 at the homeschool location; 400 minimum of Elective or more Core)

C) and proof of progress (can be a portfolio, notebooks, etc.)

If your child was enrolled in school, a letter of withdrawal needs to be sent to the school to remove from the attendance rolls; if you child never was enrolled in school, there is no notification required.

The state defines the school year as starting July 1 and running through June 30, although you can define your school year as you wish, you just need to abide by the age-record keeping requirements if you're not following the July-June school year.

No testing is required.

No one actually looks at your records, you keep them in case you need them if requested - and they can only be requested by a prosecuting attorney for the state.

There are no tax incentives or tax breaks for homeschoolers.

Here in Maine...

• letter of intent when each child begins homeschooling, then subsequent letter each continuing year,
  • compulsory age begins at 7,
  • standardized testing each year submitted to local school distict and state, OR
  • portfolio evaluation by state certified teacher, and submitted to local district and state,
  • 175 days required,
  • "age appropriate instruction" in usual listing of subjects (math, lang. arts, social studies, health/PE, library skills; Maine history in Jr. high, demonstrate computer proficency in high school)
  • homeschoolers can participate in PS sports/activities/etc. IF it doesn't take PS student's spot, IF it doesn't cause extra expense to school district, IF... IF... IF... too many hoops to jump through in reality.
  • no tax breaks, no virtual schools, no dual enrollment deals for CC (that I'm aware of... my guys are young, so I haven't researched it thoroughly yet).

Not as hands off as some other states, but not as picky as some.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Pennsylvania...

An Affidavit and Proposed Educational Objectives at the start of the school year.

Maintaining a log of reading materials and samples of work throughout the year while teaching required subjects and providing a specific number of days or hours of instruction.

Hiring an evaluator at the end of each year to look over said items and receiving a letter or form from that evaluator stating that an appropriate education is being received.

Submitting a "portfolio" which is to include that evaluator's letter, the reading material log, samples of work in all required subjects, a statement about "attendance" (ha.) etc. to the Superintendent of your local school district for review.

And in grades 3, 5 and 8, one of the approved standardized tests must be administered and the results included in the portfolio shown to the evaluator and given to the school district.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. Way too regulated if you ask me and a bit of a pain in the butt, and some districts tend to push for things they aren't supposed to while others don't push for things they are supposed to get, and some argue about what the law means (like whether what I interpret as a log of reading materials actually means a log of daily instruction which is to be provided with a log of reading materials; the wording is confusing in the law so it's controversial here) so it's all a bit of a headache, really. But once you've been through the process once you realize "Okay, that wasn't so bad, I can do this." (I say this because even though I don't think PA has the best home ed laws, I would never want to discourage someone in PA from homeschooling or cause them to be too intimidated to try)!

ETA: One good thing about PA is that for the most part compulsory school age doesn't start until age 8. I would REALLY dislike if all this reporting stuff had to start in Kindergarten!

Edited by NanceXToo

In Alaska there are no requirements for independent home schoolerrs. There are also a few homeschool programs that have rather minimal requirement but provide computers and an allotment for materials and lessons ( they can't buy faith based materials, but they do not forbid the use of them).

We used one and were very happy with our exp. We had the freedom to do things our way and a very homeschool friendly staff. Where possible they hire people who have exp. With homeschooling. I know several of the contact teachers are former homeschooling moms who went on to get teaching certs. Just so they could work for the program.

These programs can vary a lot and some require more/ provide less then others.

Edited by akmommy
Auto correct strikes again. Lol

Washington here:

Must enroll in school or file Intent to Homeschool by age 8 and every year after

Must keep records, including vaccine records (no details provided on what to keep or how to keep those records)

Must test or have an assessment done every year, but don't have to give results to anyone

Must teach 11 subjects

Must be qualified to homeschool*

* Must have 45 credits of college, take a qualifying course (a weekend plus $120-ish), be supervised by a certified teacher, or be deemed qualified by the superintendent.

There are a variety of public school programs in which homeschoolers participate. These include part time enrollment in public school, participating in public school sports/band, parent partner co-ops, and online schools. When enrolled in public school, a parent partner program, or online school, the student is a part/full time public school student (depending on percentage of enrollment) even if parent does the bulk of the teaching at home.

I'm in WA too. I would add that to be qualified to homeschool it is 45 college credits OR qualifying course. Also, supervised by a certified teacher is not a requirement. Also vaccine records can simply say "no vaccines" or something similar - you just have to keep a record, not have vaccinated your child.

Pretty easy here. No $ unless you are connected with the public school, then I've heard you can get some $, but I don't know the stipulations. We haven't chosen to do that as we don't wish the government involvement.

Ohio - Each year a letter of intent must be filed with a brief outline of intended curriculum for each student. Evaluation at year end can either be by standardized test or by portfolio review. The results of the evaluation must be submitted with the letter of intent for the following year.

New Jersey: Produce an equivalent outcome. :)

Oh, and if you did have your child in public school, I believe you have to submit a letter of withdrawal. If you never started, you do nothing. Just teach!

Me too! :001_smile: And that basically translates into - nothing. The burden of proof lies completely with the state.

I just heard that they are now allowing homeschoolers to participate at their local high schools for sports. It's being handled by the athletic organization not the board of education.

Maryland: file a notice of intent 15 days before homeschooling, then notify annually that you're continuing. Then you must be review by one of two mechanisms:

1. County reviewer - they look at samples of work/resource list twice a year demonstrating you a) have an educational plans and b) follow it. You are required to teach the same subjects taught in PS at the same grade.

2. Umbrella school - by law, a church school or education ministry. Umbrellas are required to also verify an educational plan and execution of that plan, but because they are church institutions, they can determine their own requirements. Umbrellas do the annual notification for enrolled families but do not share other information with the state.

Testing is optional. We may not participate in PS activities. There are no financial benefits.

DC...

You have to have a hs diploma or a waiver, file a notice of intent and keep a "portfolio of materials." No one knows what in tarnation that means though. They have the right to review that portfolio twice (or three times?) a year. However, they do not bother to exercise that right. I have yet to hear of anyone ever being reviewed here at all. Thus the not even knowing what the "portfolio of materials" even is. There's some more stuff - I think we're required to have a certain number of days (but don't have to take attendance or keep records of it) and we have to teach everything - English, math, social studies, etc. etc.

Our homeschool regs are really absurd, I think, in part because there's no one to enforce them. The "homeschool office" is one woman, and being the homeschool office is only a small fraction of her job, I'm pretty sure.

ETA: and there's k12 here through the charters, so that's another option

No benefits. There are 3 (maybe 4 now?) options under which one can homeschool in my state, and the least intrusive is #3, which basically entails signing up with an umbrella school. There are no teacher requirements, no subject requirements, no testing requirements, I just tell them I've done my 180 days per year and what curriculum we've used, and report grades. It's very easy.

Me too! :001_smile: And that basically translates into - nothing. The burden of proof lies completely with the state.

I just heard that they are now allowing homeschoolers to participate at their local high schools for sports. It's being handled by the athletic organization not the board of education.

I googled the sports thing and it is true. Which is timely for me because I was getting ready to jump through hoops next year to get my district to agree to let my 9th grader participate on the high school swim team.

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/schooled_in_sports/2011/11/homeschooled_nj_students_can_now_play_public_high_school_sports.html

If your child was enrolled in school you need to send a letter stating that you are withdrawing your child to homeschool.

Maybe you're talking about some states, like Ohio, that offer K-12 to homeschoolers. If you use their program, they will give you a computer and pay for all your books (if there are any), I think. That would essentially be free homeschooling for you - IF you want to use only their materials, do all their work, and have it graded by someone else. It's really just schooling at home. The parent really isn't in charge, as I see it....

In Alaska there are no requirements for independent home schoolerrs. There are also a few homeschool programs that have rather minimal requirement but provide computers and an allotment for materials and lessons ( they can't buy faith based materials, but they do not forbid the use of them).

Most programs where they buy you computers and such are public school programs. As far as the law is concerned, you aren't a homeschooler. Many of the states the pay for computers and curricula also require classroom days at a brick and mortar school. As far as the law goes, those are entirely different animals.