Menu

Would this bother you?

Do unnecessary condiments bother you?  

1. 1. Do unnecessary condiments bother you?

• Yes, they are obviously uncouth philistines.
    • No, you are silly, Mrs Mungo.
    • Other
    • Mmmmmm.....baaaaacon.

I am a good cook. That is not bragging, it is just a fact. Tonight I made a beautiful quiche for dinner-bacon, onions that I cooked down forever, gruyere cheese, cream, etc. I cooked it in a deep dish tart pan so that the quiche could be all beautiful. It was lovely and delicate.

My husband took two bites and then put salsa all over it. :001_huh: It is completely ridiculous to fret over it, right? Things like that should be the least of my worries in a husband, right?

I am sorry, but it does bother me. Boo.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not a big deal. Yes, it would bother me.

:iagree::lol: This exactly. Really, it isn't that big of a deal, but being all hormonal right now, I would have been, oh let's just say slightly upset;).

Maybe he was just craving salsa. Maybe he was being intentionally evil. You just don't know.

I am laughing and shaking my head. I get it. Really. I've BTDT. Sometimes I am able to step back and see reason. Sometimes reason can bite me.

:grouphug: There's always Mike's!

Yeah, I don't get the whole ketchup/salsa over everything, but I have learned that I can enjoy my work in my way and they can enjoy my work in theirs. I don't let it bother me anymore, but I don't think I will ever understand it! :001_smile:

FWIW, it sounds perfectly heavenly and I wouldn't have added a thing!

I am a good cook. That is not bragging, it is just a fact. Tonight I made a beautiful quiche for dinner-bacon, onions that I cooked down forever, gruyere cheese, cream, etc. I cooked it in a deep dish tart pan so that the quiche could be all beautiful. It was lovely and delicate.

My husband took two bites and then put salsa all over it. :001_huh: It is completely ridiculous to fret over it, right? Things like that should be the least of my worries in a husband, right?

I make something similar to that called Alsatian Pie. DH told me to get over the fact that two of my kids (who shall remain unnamed) put ketchup on it. Uh, no.

I will say that the kids have humbled me. I can't tell you how many times I have had to inform them that they are nuts because my _________ is craaaaaazy delicious.

(Do not fear for my children's feelings. They are under the impression that I am joking. It is a false impression but whatever doesn't scar them... :lol:)

My husband and my MIL put hot sauce or tabasco on just about everything I have ever cooked for them. Now, I am not against a spicy dish- yum! But when it's supposed to be savory or delicate or something else instead, well then, no.

For the first few years I would try to protest, "But it's not supposed to be a spicy dish!" Yet they still persist. Now, I just love them as (the Philistines) they are. :lol:

Just wanted to add.....

I am Cajun. My whole family is Cajun. Tabasco Sauce (not hot sauce, not "Louisiana" hot sauce) is required on everything, along with Tony Chachere's seasoning. It doesn't matter who cooked it, what was cooked, wheter you ordered it in a restaurant or not, you put at least one of those two things on it. Those don't bother me. Other stuff does, but I know it shouldn't.

Yes it would bother me, but I would also expect it. My mother claims she has never met a man who likes quiche, and so far it has proven true.

I just don't understand :confused:

True. My Aunt said the same thing -quiche and brie and chocolate dipped strawberries...

I vote for uncouth Philistine! :D My husband has an obnoxious affinity for cajun seasoning and Frank's hot sauce. He puts one or the other on just about everything. :glare: I've yet to see him use both at the same time, but I'm certain it will happen someday. I let it go, but it always make me a little cross.

On a positive note, your quiche sounds heavenly. I need to make a one....:001_smile:

Sadly, I know this scenario all too well. It just has to come down to "yes, it bothers me, now move on :)" . Fortunately my DH is generally a connaisseur of fine food (ie. my cooking :D) and usually appreciates. Also, he has learned to apologise before putting said salsa/chili sauce/tomato sauce on dishes that should bever be treated that way :tongue_smilie:

I voted that it would bother me. It does, but it doesn't upset me, any longer.

I'm use to my husband. We've been married for a long time. He is just like that and I strive not to take any of it personally. Sometimes that is a challenge.

On many occasions I have gone to a lot of trouble preparing a beautiful meal. The kids love it. It tastes great, looks beautiful, and was worth all the time and effort to prepare. He, my dear husband, will come in just prior to it being finished and start making macaroni and cheese with tuna :glare:. He has decided that he has a craving and really wants that. I use to get rather upset about it, but over time I just enjoy the dinner and let him do this thing. :banghead:

Well, I do have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one! It does help a bit to not take this personally.

For my dh, the condiment of choice is hot sauce. On EVERYthing. Sometimes crushed red pepper, but definitely one or the other. My brain says "whatever." My heart says "why don't you eat it the way it is, in all its lovely perfection!?!?!"

That said, he does it in restaurants, too ("Can I have a side of buffalo sauce with that?"). I just roll my eyes.

MEN!

Yeah, definitely Philistine.

But love him the way he is. Too late for change. Maybe.

I felt the same way (and so did my parents, who have NOT gotten over it) when dh would take a beautiful steak (in a restaurant or at home--restaurant was way, way worse, esp to my mom and dad) and put A1 on it. <shudder> To them, it reflected the fact that he came from more blue-collar roots than I did. THey didn't like that. Steak was about once every 2 weeks for me--it was more like once every year for him (on his birthday). Funny, tho, cause my mom and dad were pretty poor during their growing up.

What, nobody else? It's all just husbands/kids? :laugh:

Well, there are times when my husband (who, I admit, cooks more often than I do and is a better cook) makes something that I just happen to ENJOY eating (fill in the blank) on. It might be ketchup or gravy or A1 or sour cream or extra salt, or whatever the case may be. If I put it on it's because I LIKE adding that flavor, not because I DON'T like what he made.

Every now and then he acts a little offended and it makes me nuts that he would take it so personally or that I should have to feel awkward about eating my food the way I enjoy it.

So, I had to go with "You are being silly, Mrs. Mungo."

Sorry. :D

Yeah, definitely Philistine.

But love him the way he is. Too late for change. Maybe.

I felt the same way (and so did my parents, who have NOT gotten over it) when dh would take a beautiful steak (in a restaurant or at home--restaurant was way, way worse, esp to my mom and dad) and put A1 on it. <shudder> To them, it reflected the fact that he came from more blue-collar roots than I did. THey didn't like that. Steak was about once every 2 weeks for me--it was more like once every year for him (on his birthday). Funny, tho, cause my mom and dad were pretty poor during their growing up.

But that's STEAK sauce! It goes on steak!

i can understand people thinking it's weird if you put ketchup or mustard on your steak…but steak sauce??

(i'm a vegetarian, but dh eats steak - with steak sauce)

Yes it would bother me, but I would also expect it. My mother claims she has never met a man who likes quiche, and so far it has proven true.

I just don't understand :confused:

My husband lives quiche. Bacon and carmelized onion sends him over the moon. My dad, too. Neither would put any extraneous condiment on it.

And, yes, covering well prepared food with random condiments bothers me.

My Dh puts salt on everything before he tastes it. I am oh-so-tempted to oversalt something on purpose just to see him gag on it once. I've thought about it for 11 years, but I wouldn't ever do it. Mom says a nice person wouldn't even think thoughts like those. Sigh.

Oh, and Dh is the easiest person in the world to cook for. He has only asked me once to not make something again. If he would just taste the food before he put more salt on it....

It could have been worse. Yesterday, I made a Paleo salad with red cabbage, almonds, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, extra-virgin organic olive oil, and balsalmic vinegar. I loved it! I put some on a plate for my DH, and when he came inside, he said he doesn't eat garbage, and threw it away. He reserved the chicken and proceeded to melt cheddar cheese on it, then ate it. He said he wants normal food, like HOT DOGS.

Some people cannot be helped.

(I bought him the cheapest hot dogs I could find at Wal-Mart yesterday. $.75! And yes, I am offended by the use of the term "garbage" in referring to my cooking. I am comtemplating evil toward him. :glare:)