Menu

Imagine your house was a complete and utter disaster.

Where would you start? What steps would you take after you started?

My house is a wreck. Not only is there stuff lying around everywhere, every inch needs scrubbed. It's seriously impacting our schooling.

I've been in a funk for quite a length of time and now that I'm coming out of it I'm noticing how awful everything is. It's serious enough to make me contemplate heading back into my funk.

I'd appreciate some detailed steps if anyone has the time.

Edited by Trresh

Our house is the same way, way too much clutter and waaay too much stuff. Even the suggestions here probably wouldn't make a dent. DH has a week off and we are hoping to start room by room and literally move everything out, put stuff in boxes and only put back whatever has a place. Anything that doesn't have a "home" will stay in a box for donation/garage sale or something else will have to go to make room. Our problem is the closets and storage are full of stuff we don't use so there is no place for the things we do use, which then turn in to clutter because they have no home. We can't effectively empty and go through the storage though because of all the clutter in the way. Yes, I am in the same funk but I am determined to crawl out.

There I admitted it here, so hopefully we can make some headway next week while he is off.

I'd start with most public room of house. My kitchen is in front. When the front door opens and people come in they are in my kitchen so that's the room I'd start with.

Maybe you want a goal of a room a week or every two weeks. You have to keep all the rooms you cleaned up to par.

I regularly declutter (and yet my house is cluttered). I make a point of never saying no to a charity that calls to pick up "useful household items and clothing". I post a lot of offer on freecycle. You can get rid of a lot of stuff without driving it anywhere or throwing away by using these to things.

Start with the rooms everyone sees most often - living room, family room, kitchen and bath. Leave the bedrooms alone.

Take 10 minutes or so and quickly go through each of those rooms with a basket. If an item doesn't belong in that room, put it in the basket.

Hand the basket to the kids and have them sort the stuff and put it away.

While they are doing that, run the vacuum, do dishes and start laundry.

That alone will probably clear away that sense of hopelessness.

Then, pick a room to start with tomorrow. Throw/give away everything you haven't touched/looked at/enjoyed in the last month. Scrub everything that is left.

Here's a link to someone's top 10 decluttering sites:

http://mylifescoop.com/top-10/2010/10/top-10-decluttersimplify-your-life-blogs.html

Now, I suppose I should take my own advice and at least clean up the kitchen and finish the laundry! :tongue_smilie:

I would wait until my sister and her 2 tornado kids find their own place. (they moved in about a month ago when my sister moved back from Mississippi and she doesn't have money for an apartment yet:glare:) Then, I would start in the kitchen. I always feel better when my kitchen is clean. Then the living room then the bathrooms. You can shut the bedroom doors for a while but those 3 rooms are always first on my cleaning list. I am cleaner than my sister and it is frustrating but I refuse to be a maid while she is living here so I temporarily live in a disaster zone....right now on my livingroom floor is a dolly stroller, 2 dollies, 3 blankets, 4 couch throw pillows a pair of socks and a D!ck and Jane book. My sister's 3 year old put it all there this morning. I will pick it up this evening....maybe!

Get a trash bag. Walk around filling it mercilously with items that are trash. Get another bag or box. Walk around filling it with items that are still good but no longer useful to your family. Give it to charity. Once you have done this (one room at a time), start cleaning.

I do much better mentally when there is less visual clutter in my house. The floors tend to get messy/cluttered, which really detracts from the overall appearance of the space. I tend to concentrate on the floors for this reason.

Engage the kids in these tasks. Set a timer and do a tornado clean up for 15 minutes and then take a break. It will take much less time than you think.

A little over a year ago, I cleaned out our study, which had essentially been a storage room, and made it into a bedroom for my youngest dd. I worked systematically, one step at a time, for about a week. It was chock full of junk, stuff, etc, including under a dining room table, on top of the dining room table, a broken armoire stuff to the gills with stuff and a closet in like condition. Some went in the trash, a lot went to charity, and the rest found a nice home in our house elsewhere. It was very satisfying. I painted and hung curtains on the glass doors for privacy.

How old are your kids? Our house gets into a similar situation more often than I'd like to admit. I usually start in the living room and have everyone work in there. Son vacuums the couch and cushions, the girls take things that are theirs to their rooms (to get to later) and help me sort what else is in there back to it's true home. Someone dusts and I vacuum the floor. Even though it's just one room it makes me feel like we are making real progress. When cleaning other rooms I can retreat back in the 'clean' room as needed for mental clarity.

I will try and start a load of laundry before each room and then move them to the dryer at the start of another room. I pull clothes from the dryer and lay them out over a couch arm to get to later. It feels better just knowing they are clean at this point and keeps them from getting wrinkled.

All the kids help sort sox and undies. I will sometimes put all their clean clothes on their beds and they are in charge of hanging them up / folding and putting them away. This helps me but sometimes it's extra work sorting clothes for each kid first.

My kids are 10 (with a physical disability, he can't walk) and 9 and 5. I have worked to get each kiddo his own chore that they are good at. They don't do these often, but on big clean days they know they have to do them.

My 5yo mops like a champ. I have taught my girls to clean toilets/sinks in bathrooms. Only using a wet sponge they clean the surfaces and use the scrubber on the inside (no cleanser, I do that). They then (wearing a glove) re-wipe it all with Clorox wipes. I will do the windex on the mirror and cleanser in bowl. Anyone of them can mop. Son will do it by hand with a clean rag (I only use a 1/2 H2O and 1/2 vinegar mix).

The kitchen is mine to do alone although girls will empty dishwasher and all can help with mopping.

The bedrooms we will go through together and work on one room at a time. Even littles can put toys in bins, clothes in hampers, etc.

I know it's overwhelming but little by little you can get it done!!! We will take an entire school day and do 'home ec" only.

You didn't dirty it alone. You shouldn't have to clean it alone!!!

Hugs!

Start with one room. I'd pick the master bedroom so you can have a calm, relaxing place to go at night. Clean the tops of furniture of clutter and make a promise that you'll only touch something once. If you pick it up, it either goes to its home, the trash, or a Goodwill box. Wipe down light fixtures and fan blades if you have a fan in the bedroom. Then dust. Vacuum. Change the sheets and wash the curtains. Light a few candles and enjoy your reclaimed space. :)

The next day, I'd pick whatever room you spend most of your time in, likely either the living room or kitchen. I'd go through the same basic routine I outlined above for each room that you work on. At some point during the day, I'd do a 5-minute clean-up of the bedroom...it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to maintain what you've already done.

I have been "here" so many times, it's not funny (or fun). See a few links below on crisis cleaning.

http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_CrisisCleaning.asp

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/flylady-tools/2008/04/04/crisis-cleaning (AUDIO)

I usually think about our day from morning to night. What do we absolutely have to have access to/ use of/ cleaned to handle basic household functions? Or, think about things you would need to pack/ prepare for a trip. Those are the priorities. I usually get stuck and hyperfocus on the things directly in front of me or something that is frustrating me at the moment. If something comes to mind, write it down. Then get back to the priorities of your daily schedule. Mine would look like this:

Before you go to bed tonight- need to have at least 1 clean (complete) outfit for every person in household. Also, 1 towel, washcloth, etc. Do you need to do a crisis load of laundry before you go to bed tonight- get it in the dryer before you go to sleep. Do you need diapers? Put on a shop list.

*prepare 1 load of laundry in a basket ready to start in the am.

Get cleaned up- Can you get to the shower, sink, toilet in at least 1 bathroom? If so, don't worry about cleaning until later- one more day of dirty in here wount matter. You should have a clean outfit in the dryer. Get yourself cleaned up- may include- shower, face washer, hair brushed, teeth brushed, shoes on.

Go open the curtains all over the house- windows if the weather is nice enough.

Start that load of laundry from last night. What are you going to eat for dinner- thaw?

Breakfast (meals in general)- clean empty sink, load dishes in dishwasher or start with a hot soapy sink of water- FILL- set timer for 15 minutes while you clear the kitchen table to eat. Do a quick run through of the counters to put away anything in its home (that you can just pick up and put away) and reboot trash can (take bag out, put new bag in). Eat breakfast (leave dishes on the table for a minute), clean the dishes originally put into the sink- THEN clean the meals dishes. **For the rest of the day, if you eat a meal- clean up everything ONLY from that meal- food away, dishes cleaned, wipe table/ sweep (don't get side tracked- focus only on the mess from that meal and the 1 load of dishes currently in sink). When you need to do school or have another meal- your table will be clear.**

Daily activities- Organize anything you need for school- books, files/ papers, supplies. Then focus on the immediate area where you are physically doing school. This is a priority if it is affecting your school.

For the rest of the time- reboot laundry and dishes as needed.

Oh, I would plug bedding in here. Do the beds need to be pulled, washed, remade so you can sleep tonight?

At this time, I would focus on the bathroom (just 1), and THEN floors throughout the house- starting with main living areas. Clutter on surfaces can be tolerated, but floors make or break my mental health and stress level when I see clutter. Declutter and then sweep/vacuum/mop. With the bathroom, I would start at either the top (ceiling), or one corner and work my way around the bathroom.

Then, I would do the rest of the house ala FlyLady (15 minutes at a time with timer set) either room by room or task by task (toys, laundry, trash).

Then, when the crisis is over, go around the house and look at everything. Think about the particular task that is needed to maintain this condition. Ask yourself, where in a 24 hour period, does this task fit or plug into? If it doesn't- evaluate as necessary and come up with a compromise and/or new system easier to maintain. HTH

Pick the room that matters to YOU most for mental health and recharging. For me, in my old house this was the master bedroom; in our new place it's the family room with the view of nature / birds in the yard. Doesn't matter--it's about YOU. Clean that room. Declutter (stick stuff in boxes to deal with 'later' if you need to), but get that one space clean and decluttered. Now, s-l-o-w-l-y start working across the house. You can do one room at a time, you can go by chore (vacuum, picking up, windows, whatever) but start picking at the rest. I use a timer--it is amazing how much you can do in 15-20 minutes of focused, high-energy work. I also feel no guilt taking this short amount of time away from homeschooling or my kids, hubby, rest of life. Now--one caveat--you start that 15-20 minutes touching up your "recharging" room first. The idea is to have somewhere you can retreat to to (re)gain mental/emotional equilibrium whenever you need (and take at least a temporary break from "overwhelm").

Anyway, that's what works for me. Sanctuary space and a timer for the rest. Good luck!

The first thing I would do is get a few laundry baskets or trash bags, one for each room in the house. Get all the stuff that is lying around and sort it into these bags/baskets. Then go put everything away.

Next I would wash all your dishes and clean your kitchen counters. Then start on laundry - towels and sheets first.

Doing these few things helps clear my mind enough that I can tackle the other stuff.

:grouphug:

This is a great suggestion. I would even go so far as to add that you not spend too much time sorting as you pick up. Just four groups: laundry, trash, urgent/very important items/paperwork, all the rest.

Move the urgent/important stuff to a well marked box. There shouldn't be much in it (only time sensitive or highly valuable stuff, think bills and diamonds). Take that box with you as you move from room to room.

Trash is trash, throw it away. Immediately upon completing each room.

Laundry, put away the clean and leave the dirty in a laundry basket. If you want to do just one or two rooms a day, then get the laundry from those rooms washed AND PUT AWAY before you go to bed.

The other stuff, close up that bag or box and push it to a corner or the room. That will be your phase two; once you've gone through all the rooms on a preliminary pick-up sweep, you'll then take a bag/box each day, putting away or throwing away everything until the bag is empty.

Make the bed, dust, vacuum, phase one complete. You will feel so much better as each room gets done, it will get easier. Deep cleaning can follow. I just want to send you lots of :grouphug: because I fully appreciate how paralyzing disorder can be (9 household moves and the ensuing chaos). It's like you're up against a wall with no way out. You just have to start. Like a Dave Ramsay debt snowball, start with the smallest space and let your momentum grow.

Get those kids busy, too. Buy a few cheap laundry baskets from the dollar store and have them put all the laundry in a basket. They can work ahead of you.

BTW, that "other stuff bag"? It includes toys. Yeah. Expect tears but bag 'em anyway. It's not forever and you're not throwing them away (not yet anyway, teehee).

You can do this!

And long term, you should consider a serious decluttering. That is soooooo liberating!

(some stray words may follow but I'm on my phone and don't know how to delete them, please disregard until I can edit later)

Y

Do the laundry

I'd start with the rooms most used-kitchen, family, bathrooms. Do one a day (or two days) top to bottom. When you finish with the last room, you should be able to maintain until it all gets out of hand.

Wanna know my secret? My house is little. It takes me 2.5-3 hours to clean the entire thing. I'm so glad I didn't let friends talk me into a bigger house. Mine is little and tidy; theirs is big, beautiful and messy. :)

In bedrooms, make the bed first! Then pick up the clothes, then in my case I sweep everything into a pile and go from there. YMMV I have concrete floors. ;)

In kitchen, clear the kitchen table first, then tackle dishes followed by counter. Then sweep, and empty trash.

Bathrooms mirrors, sinks, toilets and remove trash.

Set your timer for 15 minutes or throw on some music, I love pandora for this.

Honestly, I read the title and thought, "Who needs to imagine?!" :lol:

Flylady works for a lot of ppl, and before I was injured, she worked for me too.

I need to modify her stuff to fit me...I get where you're at, being overwhelmed, unsure where to start, etc. Flylady actually *gets* this too! That was the most awesome part of reading her book (I prefer books to websites, so bought hers).

Honestly, Flylady not only helps you in getting things done, but I find her writing incredibly comforting and enouraging. There's not even the slightest hint of 'since you're too dumb/lazy/etc to figure this out...' attitude, its all from someone that has walked the same path of wanting to have a clean, organized house, and couldn't manage it for the longest time.

The first thing I would do is get a few laundry baskets or trash bags, one for each room in the house. Get all the stuff that is lying around and sort it into these bags/baskets. Then go put everything away.

Next I would wash all your dishes and clean your kitchen counters. Then start on laundry - towels and sheets first.

Doing these few things helps clear my mind enough that I can tackle the other stuff.

:iagree: This except I would vacuum in between the kitchen counters and starting laundry. Vacuuming is like making a bed...one of those things that makes a room instantly feel cleaner.

Absolutely boxes! When I'm in a pickle like this, a big box and big trash bag help bring sanity to the area. I throw everything that is out of place into the big box to sort through later, and get all the trash and stuff that just isn't necessary into the bag and out to the curb.

After this, I might start at the front door and just start working my way into/around the house with a couple large rags, bottle of windex/409/furniture polish (or whatever you'll need to clean) and the vacuum. Gives me a bit of direction in terms of "deep cleaning".

If your kids are able to help, put them in charge of tossing stuff into boxes. That's easy. Then they can be like "messenger runners" and start "running" things from the box to their appropriate places. The kids can also take a big rag and start wiping down the doors/frames/baseboards/railings/wall smudges. Toss them into the tub with an inch of water and some baking soda and have them scrub the tubs.

Edited by Susan in TN

You are probably overwhelmed with advice but here is my 2 cents. I recently participated in something called the 52 challenge. You chose 52 areas in your house to purge, clean and organize. Not big things, they need to be very broken down. An example might be one kitchen drawer or under your bed. Just very broken down. I know it sounds like alot, but when it is broken down into small bite size pieces it makes you feel like you are getting things done without being overloaded. Anyways, purging, this is a big step. Part with things. Lots of things and just simply do as much as you can. Dont try to do it all in one day.

It seems obvious but it really took me looking hard to realize that the less crap I kept the cleaner my house would be.:grouphug:

I've been "down under" the dirt somewhere, and decided to come up for a bit of sunshine :) What I've been doing is doing the basics... try to keep the dishes up.... and cleaning the "core" of our house. We have a Craftsman, so for us it's the front to back door... almost a straight line. I also cleaned the restrooms :) I'm now just trying to get all the laundry up... and front to back.... a few minutes on here... a while cleaning... tv on :) Music would be better!! ;) Math done... writing done... clean trash up... do some chores... play outside... just go/rest/go/rest... and again we go!! ;) It's been 2 weeks and I'm feeling hopeful!! :)

I have also lost about 25 lbs in the last few months... I'm wearing a "skinny" size for the first time ever!!! Looking back into finishing college... Trying to eat healthy... Seems like each "bite" that I take towards the end of the tunnel... makes me feel good about the next one!

You can do it... one piece of it at a time. It's like an elephant... "How do you eat an Elephant?" "One bite at a time!!" ;)

My house is a wreck. Not only is there stuff lying around everywhere, every inch needs scrubbed. It's seriously impacting our schooling.

I've been in a funk for quite a length of time and now that I'm coming out of it I'm noticing how awful everything is. It's serious enough to make me contemplate heading back into my funk.

1. Put on some fast music that you love and tell the kids that you guys are going to clean for as long as the CD is on. No one stops the entire time!!

2. Get a large trash bag and a laundry basket and start in the kitchen and living room. Trash goes in trash, and things that need to be taken upstairs go in the basket. While you do the dishes and declutter the kitchen have the kids put away school materials and toys. Don't worry about sorting them right now, just get them put away. Tell the kids that you want all dishes in the kitchen, toys in toy boxes, trash in trash and dirty clothes in the laundry room.

3. After you get the kitchen cleaned and the kids have decluttered the other public areas, take some cleaning spray and hit the bathroom with the spray. Leave it while you sweep the kitchen and spray the stickies on the kitchen floor. Go back to the bathroom and wipe everything down except the tub, spray that again, and then go mop the kitchen. While you do that have the kids dust, and if they are old enough they can sweep or vaccum the rest of the floors. But make sure that you look up and keep the kids moving the entire time so you have help. If the tub is ready rinse it out, if it is really gross then take a little cooking oil on a scrubbie and it will cut right through the scum (conditioner will work as well) and even a 3 year old can scrub the tub if it doesn't have harsh chemicals.

If you still have music, clean the front door area. Put all the shoes in bins and make the kids hang up coats. Sweep door area of the door area of the porch so they don't track more dirt inside.

If you have massive clutter then you need to throw a bunch of stuff away. Tell the kids that anything left out is unloved and will be going to the trash or Goodwill and MEAN IT!!!!! Look at everything and weigh whether you love it against how much upkeep it needs.

Things that help me not let things get out of control.

Let the kids match socks or fold clothes while I read aloud.

We school in our public areas so that I can do fast chores in the middle of schooling. For example I get them started on something and throw in a load of clothes, or do dishes. When school is over their stuff go in crates and back on shelves.

I only use my dishwasher when we have lots of company. A dishwasher can be a tool, but for me it is easy to load it and forget to run it, or need to put away the clean ones before I can load the dirty ones. It is easier and faster for me to keep a sink going all day, so that when they are clean and I have 5 minutes they can get put away, and I can do up a sink load in 5 minutes without the hassle of caring about the status of the DW.

Once you get the public crud you can work on the bedrooms in much the same way. We take turns doing either upstairs or downstairs. Make it a rule that the last person out of the bed makes it. No matter how messy your room is, if the bed is made it looks better.

Train the kids. I tell them whenever they whine that the only reason I had them was to help me clean and to fetch stuff. :tongue_smilie: They know I am kidding, but it makes us laugh. (I also tell them that I will take them to Walmart and they can pick out a new Mommy when they complain too much!) Don't try to do it all by yourself.

My priorities when this happens are dishes and laundry. Doing these things first helps take care of the basics first. We have to eat and I prefer the family members not wear dirty clothes. Once I get that undercontrol I pick a room and start and make the kids help!

Same here! :blushing:

I've done the FlyLady Crisis clean a number of times.

I've also done the "floor first" approach a number of times.

Another favorite is to make a "Cleaning scavenger hunt" on the chalkboard, where I list things like: "1. Throw away 25 pieces of garbage. 2. Find 5 things that should be in the recycle. 3. Put 10 dirty clothes in the hamper." (I look around the target room to make the list.) I get a column, too, and I have to do double what the kids do. The kids and I get a goodie as a bribe when we finish.

If I'm really overwhelmed, I make myself a small challenge. "Before I go to bed, I will put 15 books back on the shelf." "Before I go get that Riesen that's calling my name, I will retrieve 10 dirty dishes that need to return to the kitchen."

I pull out the trash can and several boxes - sort fast. Make a goal to vacuum/dust that one room in ____ minutes. After the sorting, take a break. After a break, start with box 1...

While you are sorting, set the kids to wiping down walls.

While you are putting away stuff from box #1, have dc vacuum/dust the cleaned room. (Mine enjoy wiping, dusting, and vacuuming...though they detest putting stuff away. I work with that. ymmv)

Rest for 15min frequently. Drink a glass of water. Admire the progress. Keep going.

I am going to be doing this tomorrow.;) We are taking a break from school and travelling this weekend. I want a clean home when we get back. Home Ec day it is. Mine isn't terribly awful...but it's close enough to tempt me into curriculum planning instead.:tongue_smilie:

Do you have a dishwasher? Load it and run it. Then start a load of clothes. Next, get a trashbag and walk around tue house gathering all the trash.

Get a 2 laundry baskets/boxes and one trash bag. Pick the least messy room, or the one you spend the most time in. One box is for things that go in other rooms, one is for things to give away, and the bag is to throw things away. Then work until the dish washer is done, unload, loan and then take a break. Then get back o work. I do this over the course of three days most of the time.

I can relate --

My rule: Keep nothing unless it is useful or beautiful.

Get clear plastic bins -- essential for viewing contents.

Sort the bins -- four bins. When one is full of one category, replace it with an empty one and keep going.

Categories:

Papers

Games and game pieces

Toys

"Other"

Books on bookshelves.

Clothes hung up.

Kitchen stuff (dishes) in kitchen.

Be generous with too-small clothing or outgrown toys, or find a consignment place. Your life is too important to spend on things that are in your way!

Once room at a time, clearing surfaces. Get rid of the piles on things, and then piles on the floor. Don't try to do each room at the same time. Start in a room where you can be comfy (living room, fi), then move to the kitchen, them the hallway-- maybe the hallway first.

Get 4 big boxes. Lable them Save Donate Trash Recycle ( for old electronic things, computer parts, cords etc etc. My town dump takes these items, but you have to bring them to the dump. These items have toxins metals etc that shouldn't go into the main trash stream...although don't watch The Story of Stuff right now ;) ). Take care of that before moving onto the next space.

Send a strong kid or partner out to the car and have him/her put the Donate box/bag in the trunk *as soon* as it's filled. Don't let it sit in the house.

Put the trash bag/box on the porch or outside. If there is no food in them, they will be safe to leave outside until trash day.

Get the stuff you do not need/use OUT of your house. Once the surfaces and floors are cleared, you start cleaning. Don't try to dust or vac around piles.

I start by setting up 3 laundry baskets. One basket for trash, one for keep and put away, and one for donate. The first room I pick I set all three baskets on the floor and start sorting stuff. Once the baskets are full I empty each basket and put away whatever I want to keep, and then I go do the dishes and start a load of laundry. That takes me about 30-45 minutes, and I do that several times a day until everything gets done. One way to get the kids involved is have them put away the thing in the keep basket and then use those baskets to clean their room.

A few ideas that work for me:

-Get the kids to pick up stuff. This is one area where I will freely admit to using bribes/rewards/whatever you want to call them -- extra screen time, ice cream, whatever. Don't tell them "pick up the room;" tell them, "pick up 50 things." (Or 100, 200, whatever. Actually, I tell mine, "pick up 20 tens each," and as they pick up ten items, they call it out to me, and I mark a tally mark. When they've each got 20 tally marks, 400 things have been picked up, and that's a lot. Small goals of just ten items lets them be successful quickly, which breeds more success.)

-Start with one room, whichever is the biggest issue to you. Grab a basket/bag/etc., and throw everything into it. When the room is empty of stuff that was out of place, you can put the stuff in the basket/bag back wherever it goes. Then clean the room. Move on to the next one, until the house is clean.

-If you need to do it all right away (like for company or something), I like to set a timer for ten minutes and see if I can do a task in that time -- empty the dishwasher, put away the groceries, wash the pots, fold a load of laundry, pick up all the books, whatever. At the end of that ten minutes, I stop that task, even if it's not finished, and I go on to another task. I'll come back to any unfinished tasks later, but changing keeps me from getting bored and never finishing the task.

-If you don't have a particular deadline like company coming, get the stuff picked up, and then spend some time keeping it that way. Don't scrub more than is absolutely necessary. When you've got a good routine about putting stuff away and all going, then start scrubbing.

I'd get the machines running first (dishwasher and washing machine).

THEN I'd spend 10 minutes cleaning each room. (Flylady thing?) Set a timer, clean quickly, and move to the next room when the timer goes off.

In 90 minutes things will be MUCH improved and you can think about the more serious cleaning tips mentioned above :001_smile:

:grouphug: and :bigear: oh and what if most things don't have a "home"...sometimes my house feels like one big junk drawer.

I make it a home or get rid of it. I have added bookshelves to house our books, but if new clothes don't fit in the drawers....I purge. Every six months I clear out clothes.

If I have a new kitchen gadget without a home, I try to get rid of something I don't use. I am not perfect, things pile up before I start tossing, but I get around to it and it has finally rubbed off on dh!

After two months of illness and one emergency after another I would have to work my way up to complete and utter disaster. Maybe I could imagine it was only a disaster. Currently, it resembles one of those crack houses on the 11pm news.

But I have been inspired by this thread. Tomorrow I grab the timer (which pile do you think it is in?) and get started. I can do several 15 minute blocks before my energy runs out.

Amber in SJ

I am decluttering the house within an inch of its life. I've finally figured out that the less you have the less it has chances on landing on a surface (dining table, bookshelf, or floor) to gather dust. This morning I was going through the makeup drawer only to find out I have like 5 each of the same shade of lipstick and a collection of dried up eyeshadows and dodgy foundations! I am also guilty of having a huge drawer full of hair products and face creams.

I can't give any advice because I am going through the same process. But if anything I would say: purge, purge, purge. Also, do the dishes every night -it is depressing to wake up to a sink full of dirty plates.

Oh, my gosh!! Thank you all so much! I seriously could cry right now. I'm so ashamed of letting things get this bad and honestly it's been this way for a long, long time. At night, I think of all of the things I'm going to do the next day and then come morning I'm so overwhelmed I just find a way to take my mind off of it...computer, book, phone, planning the school schedule, etc...

My kids are 14, 10 and 8 so they can definitely help.

I'm going to get the machines going and do 15 minutes in the front bathroom, living room and kitchen. Then I'm going to reread all the suggestions and will form the rest of my plan from there.

I'm going to check-in via this thread. I need accountability.

I have a schedule in my house. It's a REALISTIC schedule because it's only ONE task a day BUT it makes my house mimic like it's always clean. I LOVE it! I tried fly lady but I didn't like leaving anything UNDONE as I'm OCD. So I had to do a schedule that allowed me to clean something COMPLETELY before moving to the next and nothing was left HALF done at anytime.

Here is my schedule. Maybe you can try it out. I have this printed and in a page protector hung on my fridge to keep me reminded of what I need to do.

Monday: Vacuum house thoroughly - Vacuum each room, occasionally do vents, curtains & windows. (Total Time 25-30 minutes)

Tuesday: Dust the house. Occasionally wipe down furniture with damp cleansing cloth or furniture polish. Wash any sofa & chair cushion covers. (Total Time: 15 minutes)

Wednesday: Clean master bathroom - including toilet, counter, mirror, bath/shower, trash can & floor. Change hanging towels, restock towels & toilet paper on shelves. (Total Time: 20-25 minutes)

Thursday: Clean front bathroom - including toilet, counter, mirror, bath/shower, trash can & floor. Change hanging towels, restock towels & toilet paper on shelves. (Total Time: 20-25 minutes)

Friday: Clean kitchen - sweep & mop floor, clean counter tops, clean table, wipe down trashcan, wipe stovetop, clean oven, wipe down microwave & clean fridge/freezer. (Total Time: 35-45 mintues)

Every 1st & 3rd Friday: Wash bedding. Strip beds and wash sheets then comforters. Only wash pillows and stuffed toys when needed.

Weekends: Other small projects or NOTHING at all!

**Maintain the house daily by picking up things & IMMEDIATELY put things away or in a basket to put away later that day. Throw junk mail away IMMEDIATELY and file important papers. Wash, dry, fold & put away 1 load of laundry a day. Have kids gather toys of theirs around the house and put away. Have each child do their daily chore as well as making their beds & picking up anyting out of place in their bedroom and putting it in the correct spot. Have toddler pick toys with OUR help. Kids do school & have 60 mintues of quiet time each day.**

A rule in my home is from a suggestion from the Magic 1-2-3 book. At 7:45pm each evening I call out "Clean Up Time"...this means that each child is to put all their toys, shoes, clothing..ect away from ANY PART of the house and put it where it belongs. At 8:05pm I walk around the house with "my toy box" and if anything is left out I get to pick it up and put it in my box. I get to donate the item, put it in a temporary time out until the next day or have the kids earn it back by doing a task. However I've never had to ACTUALLY take ANYTHING because my kids have had the "garbage bag toy cleanup" from mom in the past and they don't QUESTION me on if I'll really do it or not. My 8,6 & 2.5 yr olds all HAPPILY rush around and clean up anything that is left in the house around the clean up time...6 out of 7 nights they don't have to do ANYTHING around clean up time because I remind them through-out the day to pick up OR they know themselves to pick up when they are done.

Edited by mamaofblessings

Oh, my gosh!! Thank you all so much! I seriously could cry right now. I'm so ashamed of letting things get this bad and honestly it's been this way for a long, long time. At night, I think of all of the things I'm going to do the next day and then come morning I'm so overwhelmed I just find a way to take my mind off of it...computer, book, phone, planning the school schedule, etc...

My kids are 14, 10 and 8 so they can definitely help.

I'm going to get the machines going and do 15 minutes in the front bathroom, living room and kitchen. Then I'm going to reread all the suggestions and will form the rest of my plan from there.

I'm going to check-in via this thread. I need accountability.

Take some before and after pics and post them here. You will get a lot of encouragement! Don't give up.

Try inviting someone over in a few days. Don't wait until it is done, do it now. Seriously!

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My parents called out of the blue and said they were coming to visit. . . I was in a panic....

I've never cleaned so fast or effectively in my life! :tongue_smilie:

When my house gets that bad that means there is garbage under the furniture, so if I'm moving furniture I'm going to do a big job. It is time to get the kids or dh involved if possible.

I don't do this in my bedroom since it never gets to this stage.

Doing laundry waits for the next day.

You'll need a bucket of warm soapy water and cleaning cloths. A soft bristle brush, furniture polish or lemon oil and dusting cloths are helpful.

Pick a room besides the kitchen to start. Shove all of the furniture to the middle of the room or out of the room altogether (where kids or dh gets to help) Go to the closest right hand wall and start with the floor molding. Clean to your right. As you come to windows and door frames you can clean those also or do those next.

After you've cleaned the baseboards, window sills and door jambs (you can do the window glass if you are up for it), vacuum where the furniture was. Then start putting only the furniture back in place. Clean it as you need to (vacuum upholstery, clean then polish wood). Once that is done clean knick-knacks and what-nots. Put them back in place. Everything that is left in the middle of the room is stuff to be filed. File books back in their place, file garbage into the trash, file dishes to the dishwasher, etc. Then vacuum again.

Move to the next room, rinse and repeat until you get to the kitchen.

For me the kitchen is the staging area. It is also where I need to cook dinner so it has to be taken care of before I'm done. Dishes get washed, counters cleaned off and all stains scrubbed away, the fridge gets cleaned out, more dishes washed, the sink polished and the floor scrubbed.

Generally by the time I'm all done with that dh is ready for dinner and offers to go get pizza.

Oh, and dd and dh are not sitting around twiddling thumbs. Dd is generally in her room cleaning it when she isn't momentarily helping me and dh is either at work, in charge of laundry and/or cleaning out the garage.

DH has a week off and we are hoping to start room by room and literally move everything out, put stuff in boxes and only put back whatever has a place.

Last year we had a lot of work done on our house and our entire first floor had to be emptied and our many upstairs bookcases had to be emptied. We had a garage sale before we did this, then stored everything in the garage & in a pod. After the work was done, we were very picky about what we brought back into the house. We had enough stuff that we didn't bring back in that we had another garage sale.

It was a wonderful feeling to walk into our house & have it be so clean & clutter free! A year later, the clutter has built up again, but for the most part it is manageable. I am now ruthless when I shop & don't bring as much stuff home & I am more quick to see that something has reached the end of its useful life for us and throw it away or pack it into a box for Goodwill.

I see there have been some posts about vacuuming or a quick mop. But, if it is as messy as you say it is, then there would be no open floor space to mop or vacuum, lol.

If my house is really messy, I can't begin to decide what to keep of give away -- first I have to see what I have. My system is to get big bins and sort by categories -- shoes, clothing, etc. Don't worry about the dust. THEN, when you see how many shoes, or whatever you have, you can get rid of the unneeded ones. Fold up/hang up clothing even if it is not washed; if you have too much to fit in a closet/chest of drawers, get rid of some; you can wash the stuff later. The idea is to clear the main space first, then sort out by category, then clean. At least that is what works for me.

Here's my preference. I wash the dishes, clear and wipe the counters, clear and wipe the table and sweep the floor. Wipe out the sink.

Gather up all the dirty laundry and pile by the washer and get it going. Take a trash bag and bag up all the trash around the house. Pick up the rest of the stuff off the floor. If it's really bad, I'll throw in a hamper or box super fast to have kids put away while I'm vacuuming or sweeping. Clean toilets. Clean tub/showers. Clean bathroom sinks. Then I'll declutter surfaces. I rarely mop or dust or de-cobweb. So those don't really ever make my list unless company is coming over. I will take a Mr. Clean Eraser to marks on the wall that are starting to get on my nerves. I'll also take a wet rag to spots on the carpet and upholstery that are getting on my nerves. But really those are low on my list. I feel like I can function if the kitchen is ready to go (cleaning oven, refrigerator, microwave are also low on my list) and I'm not stepping on cr@p all over the floor...oh, and we have clothes to wear.

Good luck!

Oh yes, I pretty much ignore the kids bedrooms and some weeks I'm good about making my bed and some weeks, not so much. My bedroom is not a priority.