Menu

Do you drink alcoholic beverages?

Do you drink alcoholic beverages?  

1. 1. Do you drink alcoholic beverages?

• No.
    • Maybe one every six months or even less frequently.
    • Once a month.
    • Once a week.
    • Daily (a glass of wine is good for your heart!)
    • I only have one drink at a time
    • I will sometimes have 2-3 drinks
    • You are all alcoholics.
    • Other.
    • David Tennant

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never. For two reasons:

1) A cousin was killed by drunk driver when I was 7. It made an impression.

2) I have trouble with moderation in general. I think I have an addictive personality. I'd worry about becoming an alcoholic or at least binge drinking.

Edited by Meriwether

Yup! However, I grew up in a non-drinking family and I am not comfortable drinking in front of my parents at all (although they know I have a drink occasionally). I still struggle with how to handle the drinking-thing with my kids. I want them to see alcohol as something that adults drink on occasion and nothing more. When I was growing up it was sort of the "forbidden fruit" and I was one of those high schoolers/college kids who did binge drink. Looking back...I wish I hadn't and I hope I can find a way to prevent my kids from making the same mistakes.

ETA: My "drinking" consists of having a beer or two with my dh, maybe once a month.

Poll time!

Almost never. Unless it's buried way down in a sugared-up girlie drink, I can't stand it. I don't like the taste of the stuff. I also tended bar for a looooooooong time. It makes alcohol, in general, a real turn-off.

I answered once a month (sometimes it is more, sometimes less, but that is probably a good average). I will sometimes have 2 or even 3 drinks during a party over the course of several hours. I have been drunk, but only once or twice and not in an extremely long time. That, to me, is not a good time.

Yup! However, I grew up in a non-drinking family and I am not comfortable drinking in front of my parents at all (although they know I have a drink occasionally). I still struggle with how to handle the drinking-thing with my kids. I want them to see alcohol as something that adults drink on occasion and nothing more. When I was growing up it was sort of the "forbidden fruit" and I was one of those high schoolers/college kids who did binge drink. Looking back...I wish I hadn't and I hope I can find a way to prevent my kids from making the same mistakes.

ETA: My "drinking" consists of having a beer or two with my dh, maybe once a month.

Drinking in most of our circles is very common among adults at BBQs and other family functions. Getting drunk is uncommon and frowned upon. My parents had drinks once in a while. My mom went out with me and my friends on my 21st birthday.

2) I have trouble with moderation in general. I think I have an addictive personality. I'd worry about becoming an alcoholic or at least binge drinking.

This is one reason I never, ever drink at home. My grandfather was an alcoholic, and it killed him. I don't want to go his way. I have a drink or two when I'm out with friends, but my personal absolute prohibition on drinking at home stops it from becoming a daily thing.

College years- yikes. I wish I was smarter in my drinking choices... Though I never blacked out and never got to the point where I did things I wouldn't normally do- life still revolved around parties and bars. A normal night out back then was quite a few drinks and LONGG walks home.

Now, if at home it's a couple glasses of wine with dinner 2-3 times a week. If we go out to dinner it's 1 or 2 depending on who is driving. We also host a lot of parties at the house, and those days I'll have 3-4 drinks.

Looking at this it looks like I drink a lot, but I haven't been drunk in years.

No, for reasons similar to those posted before. I have had far too many unpleasant experiences with people who do drink. And I am aware of some addictive tendencies in my own personality. So, I simply find it safer not to start down that path.

Also, I really hate both the smell and the taste of alcohol. Ewww.

However, my daughter really, really wanted me to vote "David Tennant," because according to her, David Tennant is a beautiful human being and the answer is always David Tennant.

Mrs. Mungo, my parents went out with my for my 21st birthday (even though drinking age is 19 there)...my DAD bought me shooters! I mentioned in another thread that he's a big 6"4, 250 lb+ bearded truck driver guy who only drinks 'girlie' drinks...Fuzzy Navels, Singapore Slings...

There he was, studying the bar menu, and ordering me shooters! :lol:

For me, when I'm not pregnant, alcohol is a rarity. Once a month, maybe...more in the summer. I really like the Smirinoff Black Cherry Twisted when its hot out. :D

I have had far too many unpleasant experiences with people who do drink.

With people who were drunk? Who are alcoholics and drink constantly? Or with someone who had a glass of wine? You are really lumping everything together, I think.

However, my daughter really, really wanted me to vote "David Tennant," because according to her, David Tennant is a beautiful human being and the answer is always David Tennant.

You can vote for more than one thing. :)

I love your poll options :D

My drinking varies. I spent a long time having little or no alcohol due to being pregnant or breastfeeding for much of the time (by 'little', I mean half a small glass of wine maybe every month or two). I have also gone off alcohol at various stages when I was trying to reduce calorie intake, and when I was on a tight budget and thought chocolate was a more difficult luxury to forgo! One time I drank no alcohol for a year, to see whether I'd miss it or not (didn't miss it much). When I am drinking, the amount varies. Dh and I will get out a bottle of wine and have a glass each, then again for the next two days, so I'll have three drinks that week, but then I might not have any for the next couple of weeks.

So yeah, I don't have any moral objection to drinking alcohol, but I just don't happen to do it all that much.

I voted every 6 months or less, but sometimes it will be twice in one month, or not at all for a year. I will usually have 2, sometimes even 3 on those occasions - it is almost always "girls night". I used to drink a lot in college, and every weekend after college, but dh is a recovering alcoholic so I don't generally drink when I'm with him. I don't really miss it.

Nope. I may have an eighth of a sip of dh's now and then for curiosity and I used to cook with it, but that's it. Other than girly, sugary drinks (and why spoil them with that nasty alcohol taste?) I've only ever liked two alcoholic beverages. I think I drank more when I was 8 than I do now!

Rosie

I voted other. Nothing fit exactly. :tongue_smilie: I checked category after category and then just switched to other.

I buy myself, approximately, a bottle of wine a week. This is stymied if I don't have a chance to get out by myself. Minors are not allowed in liquor stores here, you can only buy wine in liquor stores, and my dd's are usually with me. I mostly have only a glass at a time, though I probably pour it higher than wine snobs.

I sometimes have more than 1 drink at a time, such as when I tried a hot toddy AND a hot buttered rum in one sitting to see what they were.

I love a nice liquour mixed in with hot chocolate on cold nights and will have it nightly until my bottle runs out and it takes me weeks to get a new one.

I always stop if I feel tipsy, because I want to stay in control. For some situations, that's half a margarita and for some situations two doesn't do it (depending on drink strength, meal, etc....)

I just don't drink if I'm going to be driving. Not even 1 glass. Dh always drives when we are together and I just don't order it if we're separate. This is one area that I will ere on the cautious side on. (referring also back to the above point. Sometimes, even wine seems to affect me more strongly than other times. Maybe it's a matter of red vs. White?)

Edited by snickelfritz

Sometimes, even wine seems to affect me more strongly than other times. Maybe it's a matter of red vs. White?)

Some people react badly to strong tannins like you find in red wine. There are other substances like methanol that you find in dark alcohols or congeners which you find in bourbon and such. Bourbon in any amount (even bourbon cake) gives me a headache. Some people are more subsuptible than others.

Rarely; once every few months. I bought a 4-pack of wine coolers for the 4th of July, and only just finished the third one last month. That was my first alcohol in over a year. :lol:

I mostly avoid it, due to the fact that I like alcohol way too much once I get started, and have several close relatives with alcohol problems so I'm wary of it. Oh, and also due to almost always being pregnant or breastfeeding these past few years.

So glad I could pick no and David Tennant! :001_smile: He is much more yummy than alcohol. Can't stand the taste or smell. And I love being the sober one that remembers all of the great stories.

My cousins and I went to see Footloose this past week and I was in the aisle, dancing like a crazy lady. My cousin yells out, "Could you imagine if that girl DID drink?" :D

I put other. I used to drink sometimes, never a lot past a few times in college years (when it was legal to drink at 18). Now I don't because of my current medications. If they ever get changed, I will enjoy an occasional glass of wine or two or maybe a mixed drink-fruity kind. I absolutely do not have an addictive personality so no concerns there for me.

I answered daily because there wasn't an option for several times a week. I have 2 oz. of red wine in the evening several times a week. I don't like any other types of alcoholic beverages. I've never been a drinker. I was the chicklet in college who thought everyone else was stupid for thinking that drinking and getting sick was fun. Ewww.

Some people react badly to strong tannins like you find in red wine.

Yes, there are only certain brands of red wines I can drink. Others make me horribly sick, after just 1 glass.

I voted once a week. Dh and I like a beer (I know, hardly any females I meet like the stuff- I am particular about it though, I don't drink American beer), usually with food, like pizza or Mexican food. And we also like to cook a nice dinner after the kids go to bed on the weekend, just the two of us, and we'll sometimes have a glass of wine with that. I only drink red and don't like white or sweet wines.

So glad I could pick no and David Tennant! :001_smile: He is much more yummy than alcohol. Can't stand the taste or smell. And I love being the sober one that remembers all of the great stories.

Even when I was younger and drinking much more then I probably should have I never had a problem with memory loss. Or hangovers much for that matter. I'm not sure if it was a high tolerance or even having, in the midst of being drunk, a sense of what way too much was.

Regardless I drink maybe once a month. Sometimes I go for stretches of 5 or 6 months with no drinks. Sometimes I remember there's some Bailey's in the cupboard or beer in the fridge and have several drinks in a week. I grew up with moderate, reasonable drinkers so there's no baggage associated with alcohol for me.

Haven't had much since getting pregnant though. :D

Interesting reading. None of you seem to be big drinkers.

I'm the opposite. Alcohol has been a real positive in my life. My parents didn't drink much at all. Just the after-mowing-the-lawn beer for my dad. But we were Catholic, so drinking was no big deal.

I learned to drink in college and I learned that it cured me of my shyness. I drank, and I made friends, and I was funny. Lots of good bonding and lots of good memories. And I am still good friends with that college crowd 25 years later.

I have no problem giving up alcohol if I need to, such as when I'm pregnant or on antibiotics. But, I still really enjoy a great pint of beer, glass of wine, or cocktail. I'll go for stretches without drinking. And then suddenly I'm having three or four drinks every night.

Alcohol has played a really big roll in my life. I never would have met my husband if I didn't drink. But, I've never felt even close to being an alcoholic. I like alcohol and how it makes me feel, but I'm not addicted to it.

Sure, there have been times when I over did it and swore I'd never drink again, but honestly I think my life would be a lot more boring and I wouldn't have met some of the amazing people I know if I didn't drink.

Just thought I'd add another perspective.

Ha! Same here with the shyness issue! I learned how to socialize at parties and such by drinking. I'd get drunk and others would comment that I simply became "normal". :D

As I got more sociable my drinking waned. *shrug*

I'm not sure I ever would have approached my husband either if I hadn't had a few drinks in me. I'd been crushing hard on him for over a year.

I completely get the positive aspect of it. I don't drink anything like I used too, mostly because there's no need and partly because I don't enjoy the day after fuzz of more then a couple of drinks but alcohol was rarely a negative in my life.

Yup! However, I grew up in a non-drinking family and I am not comfortable drinking in front of my parents at all (although they know I have a drink occasionally). I still struggle with how to handle the drinking-thing with my kids. I want them to see alcohol as something that adults drink on occasion and nothing more. When I was growing up it was sort of the "forbidden fruit" and I was one of those high schoolers/college kids who did binge drink. Looking back...I wish I hadn't and I hope I can find a way to prevent my kids from making the same mistakes..

:iagree: I have a drink most evenings. Often it's my DHs homebrewed hard lemonade which is more semi firm than hard :lol: